Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign crashes during Save and Packaging (saving) without recovery file or report generated while working from NAS / Server.

When Adobe InDesign is working on a file on a Network Drive (NAS) with its source images referenced also on the NAS, if the user saves the file back to the NAS, and Packages the document to the NAS, (Our use case has us packaging multiple documents or packaging the same document a second time under a new destination but also on the same NAS) there is an error that occurs when the user has unsaved data such as changes to the document or photo references in the file - when the user goes to save the document. The program…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Impossible d'envoyer le "rapport d'incident" à cause du mél

Le rapport d'incident n'est pas envoyé car l'adresse mél qui existe bien n'est pas reconnue. Cf. copie d'écran en PJ.
    Indesign CC 2019, Windows 10.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. maximum open indesign documents

Hello Guys!

I have a problem with indesign. I cant open more than 140 documents at ones in indesign but i need all my 146 files to export it with twixl for my interactive app.
    Can i change the maximum of documents that i can open at ones???

Please help me, i need finish my work tomorrow, thanks!

best regards,
    Roman

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Update 14.0.3 is broken

Upgraded to the latest InDesign today and now its completely broken as it crashes on launch. Steps that I have tried to fix the problem already are:
    1. deleted InDD preferences and relaunched
    2. Uninstalled InDD including preferences and reinstalled TWICE
    3. Restarted Mac
    3. Cold Restart Mac

Only thing I have not tried is updating my Mac OS. I am running 10.14.2

I can run InDD version 13.1 (afraid to update that one to 13.1.1 now) but now I have to convert every file created under version 14.

Attached are the error messages.

I am really disappointed that this…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. InDesign Crashing when inserting footnote or carriage return

Running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 and inDesign CC 2019.

I have used InDesign since it replaced PageMaker, and PageMaker for a decade before that. It almost *never* misbehaves ... so I am grieved to report that I just crashed InDesign three times in a row.

I am editing an existing 20-page, single-column document. The first two times I tried to insert a footnote, InDesign crashed dramatically -- the windows disappeared and the program icon in my Dock no longer showed the dot indicating an open application. The third time I inserted a carriage return and InDesign crashed the same way.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cannot save under a new name error code 1, network share, InDesign 2019

When I am trying to save InDesign document to a network share using Save As or using Save a Copy, InDesign comes up with an error message saying 'Cannot save, file is damaged, error code 1'.
    InDesign 2019 is up to date.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. [Windows] InDesign/InCopy CC2018 is crashing on document close (icml file with anchored pdf file)

InDesign/InCopy CC2018 have an issue with PDF (and probably AI) files used as anchors in text frames when the Display Performance/Vector Graphics option is set to High Resolution.

Steps to reproduce:
    As I'm unable to attach a zip file in here (why?) here's the link to the example:
    https://adobe.ly/2Uc2pcN

1. Start InDesign/InCopy (with settings/cache cleared)
    2. Menu: Edit -> Preferences -> Display Performance -> Adjust View Settings -> Vector Graphics [set to: High Resolution]
    3. Open "crash-example.idml" file.
    4. Select "Update Links" in the dialog (if asked)
    5. Replace crash-example.icml file with a file found in "replace-file-1" folder
    6. Update…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versios

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. crashes while exporting with long file names

My InDesign Seems to crash every time I try to export a file to pdf with a filename that is longer than 40 characters. We have to have the file names this long due to our naming conventions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. sign out

Trying to sign out of my personal account and log into the agency account. When I click "sign out" a window pops up and then disappears. I don't get signed out. I cleared cookies and signed out on web- no dice. Think I have to delete and reinstall software just to sign into a different login...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Create outlines in a document with conditional text crashes

I have four InDesign templates created, two use conditional text while the other two do not. I have no problem creating outlines of the document without the conditional text. Every time I try to create outlines of a page in a document with conditional text, I get the endless spinning wheel and have to force quit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Stroke edit crash

I create a line with either the pen tool or the line tool. I select the line and open the properties palette. I select the 'stroke' button and open the stroke palette. I click the 'line end' or 'line beginning' to change the end to an arrow, bullet end, etc. InDesign hangs for a moment and then crashes.
    I have submitted multiple crash reports from the crash window that pops up and have received no response from Adobe. It has been going on for months.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Drive File Stream causing InDesign to crash

InDesign v 14.0.2

We use Drive File Stream for all of our file storing - which has been working great until last week when opening certain files made InDesign crash repeatedly. I have tried to save as an IDML, download locally and still have the crashing problem.

When I go to open the file it will just freeze the application window, no panels visable and just the spinning Mac ball. Force quit and then reopen InDesign - then it freezes again each time upon reopening, before trying to open any files and I have to force quit again. The second…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Creating a catalogue with a large table FREEZING in indesign CC 2019

We've been making a large catalogue pricelist for over 13 years using indesign.

We're now stuck on the 2017 (12.1.0) version.
    We want to update it, but in the latest version, importing our pricelist from excel into a table, slows the whole thing down to an unworkable speed.

info:
    the table is around 13000 rows by 10 columns. so not small.
    it does import in the 2017 version. slow to import in both, but can use and work on after import in 2017 version.
    2019, freezes when scroll used, and take 1-3 mins to unfreeze. Scroll again or do anything…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

FIXED  ·  2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Spell check crashing InDesign

InDesign 14.0.2 MacBook Pro

Whenever I try and use Spell Check in my current document, the app crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. can't export tagged pdf

Much time has been spent setting up accessible document in InDesign - added export tagging instructions to paragraph styles, added alt text to all images and figures, anchored images and objects to text, set up reading order using articles. The document will not export to PDF when "create tagged pdf" is selected. Program crashes every time before exporting is complete. Have tried on different computers. Applications are up to date. Have tried exporting from .indd and .idml file types.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

17. InDesign buffers every 5 seconds

I am on a new MacBook Pro; every other adobe program runs fine, including After Effects. There shroud be no reason why drawing my second text box InDesign makes it borderline crash. Im working off my internal hard drive and it is happening with every InDesign file. I have the display performance set to fast and I have no other programs opened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Command W closes all document tabs in order and then crashes InDesign

Using Command W to close a document tab closes _all_ document tabs (in order) before crashing InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base