Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Crash when searching for column break

Indesign 2018 crashes when searching for column break (~M) – with Find/Change dialog box or via script. It works for me with CC 2017. Not yet tested with CC2019.

The document with 500 pages was newly created with CC2018. It was tested with several computers, always with the same result.

Example document can be downloaded here: https://adobe.ly/2SGVPsy.
    --

Happens in CS6, CC 2019 as well.

Find/Change for Column Break in GREP tab of Find/Change crashes InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-Aman

2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Files shared in the description cannot be accessed now. Please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us again?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

3. InDesign 14.1

Opening InDesign just by itself makes it freeze completely. Ball of death (on Mac) .
    It asks me if I want to start automatic recovery however I can't click on any of the options because the ball of death doesn't let me. The window with the recovery message consequently shows up on top of any other screen.

I could make InDesign work ONCE yesterday after restarting and today it completely crashes again. Unfortunately it also means one of my files is now stuck 'open' which is untimely.
    This is the latest verstion both of InDesign as well as Mac OS.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

4. Crash on using Align Distribute option

Help!! I used to be able to get the page tool, highlight multiple pages across a spread in the pages palette, then set the space between pages in the toolbar and use the distribute button to get even spacing between pages. Since updating to InDesign 2019 (v14.0.1), the “use spacing” measurement field never completely shows in the info bar, and every time I hit the “distribute horizontal” button, InDesign IMMEDIATELY crashes. I am using MacOS 10.13.6. Please help, I use this feature A LOT.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly every time I launch Indesign CC 14.0.1

I am using Indesign CC14.0.1 on a MAC - OS Mojave V 10.14.1
    Whenever I launch Indesign I get a crash pop up saying AIGPU Sniffer has quit unexpectedly.
    Indesign is fine to work in however I am fed up with this AIGPU issue coming up all the time and don't know if it is effecting anything else?
    I've had loads of issues with the latest CC - really not impressed Adobe! Any suggestions on how to stop this happening?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?

Adobe InDesign team

7. Assembled files in assignments crash regularly when updated

Assignments in Indesign regularly crash the program when parts need updating This is especially bad when an assigned part has been worked on in the assigned file or if the respective file runs over various pages or if it contains complex .ai-images. As soon as you click on the yellow icon to update a part Indesign crashes again and again. To solve the problem I have deleted certain text files completely from the assembly and reentered them afterwards, which is much more effort and doesn't always work.
    I had this problem before, a few months ago, but lately it has…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.

Adobe InDesign team

8. Fails with certain Illustrator images

It happened a few times to me that Indesign keeps crashing when certain (complex) .ai images are used - which shouldn't be as I thought Adobe files would perfectly interact with other Adobe programs.
    When these are changed to png images and I am able to open the Indesign file and update them, Indesign works perfectly well again. At times it is not possible at all to open the file or change the image and the file needs to be reacreated.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

(Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

Adobe InDesign team

9. Fermeture du logiciel INDESIGN avec l'outil Ligne

Indesign 14.0 (x64) - Windows 10 pro x64 - Core i7 4770k - 32Go DDR3

Bonjour, juste après avoir utilisé l'outil LIGNE, le logiciel se ferme. cette panne est arrivée avec la dernière mise à jour.
    Merci de votre retour.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign Crash with Outlook

I am working on a Mac (Mojave - 10.14) using InDesign CC 2019. The bug is that when I open InDesign with Outlook already open, InDesign all of a sudden begins eating up memory, at about 1 GB every few seconds, until it reaches about 130 GB then force-quits not only InDesign but Outlook. However, after rebooting, if I first launch InDesign THEN Outlook, this doesn't happen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

(Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

Adobe InDesign team

11. InDesign hangs while exporting to ICML

CC 2018 – ICML Export is hanging when trying to export.

See attached example file*, the text box highlighted on page 4 is what is causing the problem. In the export file produced (if this box is removed) the other boxes are incorrectly formatted.

* An .indd or .idml file was not allowed so unable to attach this but can provide if required.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. CC 2019 Repeated Crashing when switching to the text tool from the move tool

Experiencing repeated crashes when selecting the Text tool. Does not happen every time, but has happened at least 5 times in the last 10 minutes. Windows 10, newest version of CC2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

13. font size panel freeze windows 10

InDesign 13 and 14.0 / Windows 10 x64

when i click on font size panel for change value, windows freeze and others indesign list panels (color - fonts) chase the mouse movements.
    For restore windows and bugs panel, i need to use the menu mouse button with one click.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

14. adobe freezing and getting beach ball spin constantly

Everytime I upload, save, place etc I get beach ball after beach ball...

It's not my computer...I have the 10k Imac Pro...

It mainly started when I installed OS Mojave. Adress this asap please as it is affecting work flow.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

15. Assert after closing InDesign CC 2019 Debug.

After clear installation Adobe InDesign CC 2019 Debug every time when I am closing application I have this Assert dialog box:

Interface kLanguageImpl changed but not marked dirty. First difference occurrs at offset 54

d:\development\siriusr14\source\omlib\session\pmpersist.cpp (1425)

I have only Skip and Debugger buttons. Skip open new dialog box (the same information).

There are no plugins. Only clear install.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

17. indesign 2019 crashing upon being opened

as soon as i open indesign 2019, it freezes before i can do anything. i have to force quit, but it it doesn't fix it. it still happens every time. i've resorted back to using indesign 2018.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

18. InDesign crashes while closing the application

Nine times out of ten, Mac generates a crash report when closing InDesign CC 2019. InDesign closes fine, but Mac believes it crashed.

Mac Mojave 10.14

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Help > About

Going to Help > About to see what version I'm using causes InDesign to freeze and crash.
    InDesign 14.0 x 64
    Windows 10 Pro 1803 OS build 17134.345

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

Adobe InDesign team

20. PDF Export & Text field crash

I have also downloaded Indesign CC 2019 and encounter a lot of bugs. I can't select a color profile for the PDF export and every time I click into a text field while layouting the complete program hangs. Unfortunately, you can't work with the program like this at the moment!

Solution for the problem with the PDF export: Preset PDF export profiles and then select them. So you can bypass the problem a bit. For the second problem I can't find a solution and am very annoyed, because there are also the same probleme with the other programs of CC

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base