Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. crash on create merged document

Indesign 2018 cc on mac os 10.12.6, crash on "create merged document" in data merge menu if more than approx 100 records in data file . "export to pdf" works. We have some files that need editing after merge so need this to work. Worked before 2018 update on same files that are causing crashes now. Seems to crash at point its going from a temp file to creating the finished file after the merge has happened. Tries unsucessfully to "recover" a temp file on startup after crash. Is entirely repeatable. System and user usage together never goes above 60%…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

2. Anchored object in table cell

1. InDesign version 13.1
    2. Paste anchored object next to text inside in table cell.
    3. Anchored object acts as normal as if pasted in a normal paragraph.
    4. InDesign stalls and crashes; have to force quit to close.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign crashes on Hyperlink panel open

Latest version of InDesign 2018.

Process video:
    https://cl.ly/0y1V3z190L0O

I'm trying to add hyperlink to a text but it leads to a program crash. This happens only for 3 close lines of text in a one single file. The file has been sent to mr. Sushil's email.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Indesign cc 2018 crash mounted volume on "Save As..."

Environment:
    - Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.1 (13.1.0.76),
    - MacOS v 10.12.6.
    - Mounted SMB share (Windows Server 2012 R2 full share permissions).

When editing a document on the mounted SMB share, then doing a "Save As...", there's a delay, then pinwheels, then crashes.

Attached are the screen shots of the dialog boxes that occurs as it crashes, plus the Apple crash report.

It does NOT crash on "Save".

It does NOT crash on "Save A Copy..." UNLESS - sometimes you try to save over a pre-existing document. It will complain that the file is open even if it isn't…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

5. InDesign crashes while Editing Cross-Reference

1. InDesign 13.1
    2. Select text, got to Type > Hyperlinks & Cross-References > Insert Cross-Reference
    3. Should be able to open/edit Cross-References
    4. Entire program freezes and has to be force quit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Crash ID2018 with a right click

InDesign 2018 (latest update) on macOS Sierra (latest update) crashes when right-clicking a text box with Apple Magic Mouse. Text box could be empty or full, same result. Help please!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

8. Crashing when entering text in paragraph style name field

To get this crash...
    Duplicate an existing Paragraph Style via Panel drop down menu.

Select text in name field.

Type... crashes within the first couple of characters.

Message... Internal Error

Doesn't happen every time, but too often.

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

(Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign team

9. Crashing Indesign - Google Team Drive

We are working with Google Team Drive and all Adobe programs.
    But lately we experience some trouble.

The screenshots say that Indesign closed itself because of error.

Hopefully someone can help us with this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

10. Indesign CS6 crash when I type or cancel text in table

I have problem with Indesign CS& tested with WIN7 or WIN10 with 2 different machine ... when I type or cancel text in table the program crash.
    I try to reinstall and I download last update but the problem is the same.
    I want buy a new version CC2018 but I tested TRIAL VERSION and the problem is the same.
    There is a person in ADOBE that can solve me this question ?
    I can send him a zip file created with LOG COLLECTOR TOOL.
    Thank you in advance. Best regards.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

11. Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

12. Executing startup services

Latest version of CC2018. Intel 7th Gen i7 PC with 16gb memory and Nvidia GeForce 1050 video card.
    All other applications installed and run properly but indesign is stuck on splash screen with Executing startup services... Only way to exit it is to run task manager and kill it.
    Removed OOBE and restarted. Logged back into CC. Same issue. Don't want to reset my PC to factory (it's only a couple months old). Thanks Ben

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

13. Place PDF causes InDesign to fail requiring force quit.

InDesign CC 13.1, OSX 10.13.5 on iMac Retina 5k 27-inch Late 2014.

All updates are latest available. Attempting to place a PDF file (single page) into an InDesign document with "Show Import Options" selected (only) results in a mostly-empty "Place PDF" dialog box. Mousing over the box causes missing parts to appear one-by-one, except the "Place" button. Clicking "cancel" closes the dialog box but then many/most InDesign functions no longer work, including menu items. InDesign won't quit, either from the File/Quit menu item or command-Q. Only way to restore the application is to force quit. This bug is 100% repeatable.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

14. InDesign 2018 13.1 crashing when saving back to Studio Server

We've just updated our studio with new macs, running High Sierra Version 10.13.4 and the most recent InDesign Version 13.1.

When we open a .indb document and edit one of the individual .indd files within it and attempt to save back to our Studio NAS drive/Server on our ethernet network the program crashes, corrupts the entire file and makes no effort to restore the file.

We are also running our old Macs, on Yosemite 10.10.5 with Indesign 2017 and have not experienced this issue at all for the 7 years we have used these machines.

We’ve looked on various forums…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) with spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft.

InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) if spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft. All words are underlined as incorrectly spelled, hyphenation dosen't work, InDesign hangs. If I open a documents saved before the update InDesign displays the document, than hangs.

OS Sierra 10.26.6

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

17. InDesign crashes while working with Hyperlink

For some reason there is 1 page number on my TOC that keeps making Indesign crash when I try applying a hyperlink to it. Everything else hyperlinked just fine. Also, I tried to delete the text so I could maybe retype the number but that also makes my application crash.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. InDesign Crashes on Opening from a Book Panel Multiple INDDs with Modified Links

Machine: MacBook Pro 13 in mid-2012 (i7, 2.9 GHz, 16 GB RAM)
    App: InDesign 13.1.0.76 (but basically every subversion of 13)

1. I have several INDBs containing from 6 to around 20 INDDs each.

2. Most INDDs contain from 3 to 60 cross-references (since book-spanning TOCs often crash InDesign, but that’s for another topic) – mostly within the respective INDD, but one INDD per book always has CRs to other INDDs within the same book or in other books.
    (My typical INDD contents: 2–48 facing pages with threaded, 1-column text boxes, therein several dozens of “custom” anchored objects, mostly containing…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

19. InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page

InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page.
    The code attached in file "Script.txt" crashes when executing "item.appliedMaster = masterSpread;".
    The file "File.indd" is on which I execute the script.
    I works properly in InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC 2018.1.
    I've been searching on Internet and I couldn't find any issue similar to mine.
    I think it is a bug but maybe I'm missing something prior to execute that sentence.
    Thanks.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. idml file with frontend xml crashes with lower version indesign

when ever we try to make idml files with frontend xml, which required to open lower version of indesign file, it get crashes. Now i got in a conclusion idml files with frontend xml does not work... can you fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base