Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign freezes while Adding New/Editing Cross-References

1. InDesign 13.1 x64
      2a. Select the text, go to Insert Cross References either via Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References or via the Cross References Panel.
      2b. Select text that already has a cross reference, go to Cross-Reference Options either via Type > Hyperlinks and Cross References of the Cross References panel.

2. The New Cross-Reference or Edit Cross-Reference dialog box should open and function.

3. InDesign freezes and has to be force quit. I've waited as long as 20 minutes for the system to function properly before having to force it to quit.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.1.1(v15.1.1.103) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

2. 14.0.3 Crashes and wipes all preferences (17th October 2019)

On closing a document on a mac (using the red dot) inDesign suddenly crashes. When I re-open it, all my preferences have been reset to default - including the animated tool tips returning.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.1.1(v15.1.1.103) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:

• Quit InDesign and create a backup of Preference and cache. Relaunch InDesign to observe if the preferences have been reset.
    • Next time when you encounter a crash, create a backup of Preference and cache prior to InDesign launch. If the issue is encountered, send the back up of preference and cache to the above mail ID

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Adobe InDesign CC2017 not working on MacOS Catalina

Adobe indesign CC 2017 ne fonstionne pas du tout sur mon Mac depuis que la mise à jour MacOS CAtalina a été installé.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

MacOS 10.15(Catalina) is not supported platform for Adobe InDesign CC2017.
    In macOS10.15 Apple enforced strict 64bit rules . Older apps having 32bit components won’t be able to run on Catalina.
    InDesign CC 2017 also has few 32bit components hence, it will not run properly on macOS10.15.

Recommendation:
    Either move back to macOS10.14 OR update Adobe InDesign to latest version that is complete 64bit.

4. Presentation mode (shift+w) glitch in catalina

Indesign CC 2019 running on a 15-inch, 2018 Mac, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 6 core, 32GB memory, with Catalina iOS 10.15.

Every time i enter the "presentation mode", the first page i visualize looks good, when i move with the keyboard arrows to another page it visualizes glithces.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign 2009

InDesign 2019 on Windows7 physical device, Not Responding shortly after program launch. Have tried removing Users Local profile folder incase of a corrupt Cache file. Still not working.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. optical margin alignement

The settings for the optical margin alignment are changed after a program crash (InDesign 13.1.1.): Either (more often) the option is deactivated, but occasionally it is also activated. The text will be wrapped completely new accordingly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Impossible d'envoyer le "rapport d'incident" à cause du mél

Le rapport d'incident n'est pas envoyé car l'adresse mél qui existe bien n'est pas reconnue. Cf. copie d'écran en PJ.
    Indesign CC 2019, Windows 10.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign team

8. InDesign Crashing when inserting footnote or carriage return

Running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 and inDesign CC 2019.

I have used InDesign since it replaced PageMaker, and PageMaker for a decade before that. It almost never misbehaves ... so I am grieved to report that I just crashed InDesign three times in a row.

I am editing an existing 20-page, single-column document. The first two times I tried to insert a footnote, InDesign crashed dramatically -- the windows disappeared and the program icon in my Dock no longer showed the dot indicating an open application. The third time I inserted a carriage return and InDesign crashed the same way.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. [Windows] InDesign/InCopy CC2018 is crashing on document close (icml file with anchored pdf file)

InDesign/InCopy CC2018 have an issue with PDF (and probably AI) files used as anchors in text frames when the Display Performance/Vector Graphics option is set to High Resolution.

Steps to reproduce:
    As I'm unable to attach a zip file in here (why?) here's the link to the example:
    https://adobe.ly/2Uc2pcN

1. Start InDesign/InCopy (with settings/cache cleared)

2. Menu: Edit -> Preferences -> Display Performance -> Adjust View Settings -> Vector Graphics [set to: High Resolution]

3. Open "crash-example.idml" file.

4. Select "Update Links" in the dialog (if asked)

5. Replace crash-example.icml file with a file found in "replace-file-1" folder

6. Update Content of the text frame (menu…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versios

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. crashes while exporting with long file names

My InDesign Seems to crash every time I try to export a file to pdf with a filename that is longer than 40 characters. We have to have the file names this long due to our naming conventions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Create outlines in a document with conditional text crashes

I have four InDesign templates created, two use conditional text while the other two do not. I have no problem creating outlines of the document without the conditional text. Every time I try to create outlines of a page in a document with conditional text, I get the endless spinning wheel and have to force quit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Stroke edit crash

I create a line with either the pen tool or the line tool. I select the line and open the properties palette. I select the 'stroke' button and open the stroke palette. I click the 'line end' or 'line beginning' to change the end to an arrow, bullet end, etc. InDesign hangs for a moment and then crashes.
    I have submitted multiple crash reports from the crash window that pops up and have received no response from Adobe. It has been going on for months.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Drive File Stream causing InDesign to crash

InDesign v 14.0.2

We use Drive File Stream for all of our file storing - which has been working great until last week when opening certain files made InDesign crash repeatedly. I have tried to save as an IDML, download locally and still have the crashing problem.

When I go to open the file it will just freeze the application window, no panels visable and just the spinning Mac ball. Force quit and then reopen InDesign - then it freezes again each time upon reopening, before trying to open any files and I have to force quit again. The second…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Creating a catalogue with a large table FREEZING in indesign CC 2019

We've been making a large catalogue pricelist for over 13 years using indesign.

We're now stuck on the 2017 (12.1.0) version.
    We want to update it, but in the latest version, importing our pricelist from excel into a table, slows the whole thing down to an unworkable speed.

info:
    the table is around 13000 rows by 10 columns. so not small.
    it does import in the 2017 version. slow to import in both, but can use and work on after import in 2017 version.
    2019, freezes when scroll used, and take 1-3 mins to unfreeze. Scroll again or do anything…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

FIXED  ·  3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Paste & Crash: The New Adobe Game

14.0.2.324 CRASH Every. SIngle. Time. I. Paste text from Word (16.26 Mac). What tha what tha????

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Spell check crashing InDesign

InDesign 14.0.2 MacBook Pro

Whenever I try and use Spell Check in my current document, the app crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. can't export tagged pdf

Much time has been spent setting up accessible document in InDesign - added export tagging instructions to paragraph styles, added alt text to all images and figures, anchored images and objects to text, set up reading order using articles. The document will not export to PDF when "create tagged pdf" is selected. Program crashes every time before exporting is complete. Have tried on different computers. Applications are up to date. Have tried exporting from .indd and .idml file types.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

19. InDesign buffers every 5 seconds

I am on a new MacBook Pro; every other adobe program runs fine, including After Effects. There shroud be no reason why drawing my second text box InDesign makes it borderline crash. Im working off my internal hard drive and it is happening with every InDesign file. I have the display performance set to fast and I have no other programs opened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

As per discussion over email, the crash is being faced in InCopy CC2014 while working with Smart Connection(external plugin).
    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InCopy 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.
    _
    Adobe InCopy Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base