Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

520 results found

1. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. InDesign crashes when editing text

21.5" iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6
    12 GB RAM
    360+ GB of hard disk space

When attempting to copy text from a word document into 28 Mb file in InDesign, InDesign freezes... endless spinning color wheel. Problem is persistent - every time I try to copy a paragraph of text. It even occurred when I tried typing the paragraph of text.

Tried updating InDesign CC
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    Tried using Story Editor to edit text box.

Apple crash report attached.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Shortkeys causing program to freeze

Hi, I'm using the latest Indesign CC on my windows 10 laptop
    Indesign keeping freezing and doesn't recover when i use any shortcut keys.
    E.g ctrl E to export a PDF will crash the program, so i need to go the long way of file - export etc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. ^t

In InDesign, when I use the ^t shortcut to get the type control panel, I lock up and then have to go to Task Manager and close InDesign. (InDesign 14.0.1 x64, Windows 10 Enterprise Version: 1803)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Master pages can't be applied/loaded

Whenever I try to load/apply new master pages to a document, InDesign crashes. I have already rebootet and the same problem still appears. Also tried it on a coworkers computer and the problem is still there.
    New master pages can't be loaded/applied.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. font size panel freeze windows 10

InDesign 13 and 14.0 / Windows 10 x64

when i click on font size panel for change value, windows freeze and others indesign list panels (color - fonts) chase the mouse movements.
    For restore windows and bugs panel, i need to use the menu mouse button with one click.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Version 13.1

Version 13.1 crashes several times a day. For various reasons, ex. try to drag and drop pictures from finder into indesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Indesign will start but will not create a new doc or open a previous one.

I am using MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and Indesign CC 2018. The program has been working great but suddenly, beginning last night, InDesign will start up but when I go to create a new document nothing happens. I tried to open a document I had made the day before and it would no open either. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, trashed my preferences, but still not working. I get no warnings or spinning color wheels. What is going on?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. new document preview crash

I'm crashing in the 2018 version of ID in the New Document dialog whenever I make changes to the margins with the Preview checkbox checked. This happens each and every time, consistently.

This occurs in both the new, New Document dialog format (Preview checkbox added in 2018) as well as the Legacy dialog format (enabled with General Preferences setting).

This does not occur in the 2017 CC version of ID. (Legacy dialog only — no Preview checkbox in the new format.)

This does not occur when changing any other page attribute, including page size, slug, and bleed; only Margin.

Testing:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

12. InDesign 2018 13.1 crashing when saving back to Studio Server

We've just updated our studio with new macs, running High Sierra Version 10.13.4 and the most recent InDesign Version 13.1.

When we open a .indb document and edit one of the individual .indd files within it and attempt to save back to our Studio NAS drive/Server on our ethernet network the program crashes, corrupts the entire file and makes no effort to restore the file.

We are also running our old Macs, on Yosemite 10.10.5 with Indesign 2017 and have not experienced this issue at all for the 7 years we have used these machines.

We’ve looked on various forums…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. idml file with frontend xml crashes with lower version indesign

when ever we try to make idml files with frontend xml, which required to open lower version of indesign file, it get crashes. Now i got in a conclusion idml files with frontend xml does not work... can you fix.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. page tool causes crash

Every time I try to use the page tool, the app crashes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. "Generating PDF" dialog opens randomly, crashes InDesign

Indesign version: 13.1 x 64

After updating to this version, I have been having an issue where the "Generating PDF" dialog box will open unprompted at seemingly random times. The "Generating PDF" and "Downloading Image" bars are present, and begin to fill up. The "Downloading Image" bar appears to finish, but the "Generating PDF" never fills up all the way. InDesign becomes entirely unresponsive during this process, and I have to Force Quit the application to proceed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Beachball on start, takes 2 force quits before fully starting

When I start InDesign 13.1 on macOS 10.13.4 it take 3 attempt. I have to force quit the first two attempts because it almost always beachballs. Then on the third attempt it finally works. This behavior is pretty consistent. Sometime I completely restart the computer. Other times it take longer to start.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

18. InDesign fails to launch

I cannot start InDesign on my Windows 10 notebook even though the rest of the Adobe apps work relatively well. On my main PC it runs without any problems. I tried re-installing the software, but it didn't help.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Table Eyedropper crash

Running High Sierra 10.13.2

InDesign version CC2018 13.1

Crashes when trying to select text within a table with the eyedropper tool, InDesign immediately crashes. This has been a problem for a couple of versions.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. installing new fonts and indesign crashes

I am very afraid to install any new fonts honestly. Illustration and photoshop work just fine but InDesign crashes constantly because of fonts; it just freezes. would appreciate it if it gets fixed in an update.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

1 2 9 11 13 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base