Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

523 results found

1. eye dropper causes crash

Eyedropper using within the color selection screen causes crash everytime.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Indesign freezes when loading .indd files from server

Every time I try to open a file with .indd extension from our server the program crashes-stops working, therefore I "force quit".
    It starts loading up to the point of the "missing links" notification message (if there are any) and it stops responding-freezes.

Tho when this same file is copied to the desktop it opens just fine.

Why and what is the reason and most importantly what is the solution for this problem?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Indd file crashes when editing, including it into a book or during the book synchronization

After the Indesign update to the 2020 version I started to have problems with a single file: the program crashes every time I try to edit this file (in particular when I try to modify the content in the middle of the file, at the end of a series of tables), to include it in a book, or to synchronize a book which includes this corrupted file.
    I attach the corrupted file, so you can check
    Is there a solutions?
    Thank you

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Extensions isn't working on the last Indesign versions

Using Indesign 2019 or 2020 on the MacOS, trying to install any extension, opening the menu Window > Extensions > Selecting an extension: nothing happens.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it.

-InDesign Team

5. Applescript Droplet: InDesign 2020 issue

A much used droplet to export one or more InDesign documents to PDF (with dialog and settings) will not work with InDesign 2020 (v15.0.0.155) anymore (fine with InDesign CC 2019). InDesign 2020 opens the first (or the only) document. I can select options in the upcoming dialogue box, but then crashes immediately by clicking OK with an error message (see screenshot).

However, the same base code of the script works directly from InDesign to export the active document to PDF without any problems.

InDesign 2020 may not handle "on open ..." and / or "repeat with ..." in the droplet…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

As per the confirmation received from the customer the issue no longer reproducible in Id 15.0.1.
    We are closing the thread for now.

Thank you,
    InDesign Team

6. Crash once PDF export complete

InDesign 15.0 seems to crash once a PDF export has completed.

Running Windows 7.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. I can't open any file after upgrading to Catalina 15.10.1

Yesterday I switched from Mojave to the new version of MacOS Catalina (15.10.1), and InDesign CC 2019 (updated to version 14.0.3) immediately after switching to the new operating system started to no longer open the files, either from the "Open file" both by double clicking on the file (I also tried to open the files as a copy, but InDesign also crashes in that case).
    Point out that I also tried uninstalling InDesign and erasing all preferences, but the situation is not solved.
    I kindly ask you to resolve the situation (which is not the downgrade to the old Mojave…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Book/Index

Indesign CC 2019 und Indesign CC 2018:
    Absturz beim Generieren des Index bei einem Buch mit vielen Kapiteln.
    Das Buch hat 156 Kapitel (von 1 Seite bis 30 Seiten) - beim Aktualisieren des Index reproduzierbarer Absturz.
    Das Buch hat 822 Seiten.
    Kein Crashreport möglich - der Dialog erscheint nicht (auch nach REG Datei nicht).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Export PDF crashes InDesign

Tried to export a PDF (smallest file size) with links & bookmarks active. Once I click the Export button, InDesign crashes.

InDesign 14.0.3 running on Catalina OS.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. freeze

1. ID version 14.0.3.
    2. I launch ID.
    3. Buttons should normally be clickable
    4. However, ID freezes after appr. 1 second and nothing is remotely clickable. Only way to close the program is by shutting it down via taks manager
    5. ----
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. crash

Very often when trying to save as InDesign is crashing making me lost my un saved work.

I can't attach a file since my computer crash...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Indesign crashes with 0xc0000005 executing a script that works with tables

Hi all,

I have a extend script that works with tables. It always works fine executed in Extend Script Toolkit, but when I want to rise it from Adobe Indesign, it always make the aplication to crash with an 0xc0000005 error. Not always crashes at the same line and not always crashes in the same table. Simply a random number of tables in the document are procesed, but always crashes before finish.

Indesign version: CS6 8.0 version (I also have tried with a trial 2019 version and also crashes!!).

We are totally desperated. Please, help!!

Thanks…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. InDesign freezes while Adding New/Editing Cross-References

1. InDesign 13.1 x64 2a. Select the text, go to Insert Cross References either via Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References or via the Cross References Panel. 2b. Select text that already has a cross reference, go to Cross-Reference Options either via Type > Hyperlinks and Cross References of the Cross References panel.
    2. The New Cross-Reference or Edit Cross-Reference dialog box should open and function.
    3. InDesign freezes and has to be force quit. I've waited as long as 20 minutes for the system to function properly before having to force it to quit.
    6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 14.0.3 Crashes and wipes all preferences (17th October 2019)

On closing a document on a mac (using the red dot) inDesign suddenly crashes. When I re-open it, all my preferences have been reset to default - including the animated tool tips returning.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:

• Quit InDesign and create a backup of Preference and cache. Relaunch InDesign to observe if the preferences have been reset.
    • Next time when you encounter a crash, create a backup of Preference and cache prior to InDesign launch. If the issue is encountered, send the back up of preference and cache to the above mail ID

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Adobe InDesign CC2017 not working on MacOS Catalina

Adobe indesign CC 2017 ne fonstionne pas du tout sur mon Mac depuis que la mise à jour MacOS CAtalina a été installé.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

MacOS 10.15(Catalina) is not supported platform for Adobe InDesign CC2017.
    In macOS10.15 Apple enforced strict 64bit rules . Older apps having 32bit components won’t be able to run on Catalina.
    InDesign CC 2017 also has few 32bit components hence, it will not run properly on macOS10.15.

Recommendation:
    Either move back to macOS10.14 OR update Adobe InDesign to latest version that is complete 64bit.

16. Presentation mode (shift+w) glitch in catalina

Indesign CC 2019 running on a 15-inch, 2018 Mac, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 6 core, 32GB memory, with Catalina iOS 10.15.

Every time i enter the "presentation mode", the first page i visualize looks good, when i move with the keyboard arrows to another page it visualizes glithces.

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign 2009

InDesign 2019 on Windows7 physical device, Not Responding shortly after program launch. Have tried removing Users Local profile folder incase of a corrupt Cache file. Still not working.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. optical margin alignement

The settings for the optical margin alignment are changed after a program crash (InDesign 13.1.1.): Either (more often) the option is deactivated, but occasionally it is also activated. The text will be wrapped completely new accordingly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Impossible d'envoyer le "rapport d'incident" à cause du mél

Le rapport d'incident n'est pas envoyé car l'adresse mél qui existe bien n'est pas reconnue. Cf. copie d'écran en PJ.
    Indesign CC 2019, Windows 10.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign team

20. InDesign Crashing when inserting footnote or carriage return

Running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 and inDesign CC 2019.

I have used InDesign since it replaced PageMaker, and PageMaker for a decade before that. It almost never misbehaves ... so I am grieved to report that I just crashed InDesign three times in a row.

I am editing an existing 20-page, single-column document. The first two times I tried to insert a footnote, InDesign crashed dramatically -- the windows disappeared and the program icon in my Dock no longer showed the dot indicating an open application. The third time I inserted a carriage return and InDesign crashed the same way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base