Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

520 results found

1. Start freeze

When I start InDesign 2019 a pop-up appears that's white. After a while the Adobe logo appears and the loading icon. But that's it. No other menu entries are active
    If I close the pop-up the programm closees

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Indesign CC does not open

Indesign CC 14.0.1 does not open. When I want to open Indesign it shows the loading screen but after that indesign closes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Slow start opening files or switching between apps

The last Indesign version 14.0.1. on my iMacPro 3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W (Radeon Pro Vega 56) running Mojave (10.14.3) shows the rainbow wheel on every startup and on every time switching apps (via command + tab) takes about 30 seconds - impossible to work!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. InDesign 2019 keeps crashing when I change the document size in the properties panel.

Every time I want to change the document/page size in the properties panel so I can have different page sizes in the document InDesign crashes. Over and over.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Indesign CS5 Extended crashes while launching

https://pastebin.com/HecDn9ag

I hope someone can help me here, as I couldn't find a solution in other threads. I run CS on Mac OS X 10.9.5. All other programs run fine, except InDesign.

All help is much appreciated!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. windows 10

I am opening InDesign from the start menu but it crashes each time. it will open ok from CC.
    1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server- InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues – Tried installing oolder versions but seeing the same issue
    3. Expected result – Indesign to open
    4. Actual result – Crash report page appears

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Crash on deleting duplicated XML tag

Indesign CC 2019 (Version 14.0.1)
    Mac OS Mojave on Mac mini (Late 2014)

Hello, I have a document ready to import XML data, with existing XML structure and tagged elements in page.
    Afterwards I import XML data into XML structure and then duplicate (copy and paste) text frame that contains a table with an image placed into a cell table.
    If I try to delete resulting duplicated XML tag, application crashes.
    Same result if I duplicate (copy and paste) XML tag directly.

These are the steps:

1) Open document with prepared XML structure and tagged elements in page.
    2) Import…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Export to PDF crashes when Printer's Marks checked on in PDF export window menu (Indesign 14.0.1 )

When I leave Printer's Marks unchecked, Indesign exports effortlessly.

Crashing while exporting to PDF happens with any design, regardless of the contents in the design (RGB, .ai files, etc.)

I have tested it on exporting older designs that have already been sent to print with printer's marks, prior to this issue.

Note: checking or unchecking Bleed and Slug don't interfere – only Printer's Marks do.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Crash when placing DOCX with paragraphStyles

Version: InDesign 14.0.1, macOS 10.14.3

Steps:
    1. Open attached InDesign document (please rename .jpg in .indd, there was a bug while uploading the file)
    2. Place "ThisDocumentHasParagraphStyles.docx" in the document
    3. InDesign crashes :-(

It seems it has something to do with the ParagraphStyles that are in the Word document. If I try to place the DOCX file named "ThisDocumentDOESNTHaveParagraphStyles.docx", then InDesign doesn't crash.

Attached is a screen video capture of the process (rename .jpg in .mp4 please)

Please help!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign crashes on launch in "PlugPlugOwl.dll"

InDesign 2019 doesn't open after the first loading box on startup. I downloaded 2018, 2017 and 2015. 2015 is the only one that works at the moment but the others have the same issue.
    My computers processor is Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz
    I've attached the crash report.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit: This thread addresses the specific case of crash on launch due to issues with PlugPlugOwl.dll.
    If you are facing crash on launch please reach out to us on sharewithid@adobe.com
    Closing this thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

12. Shortkeys causing program to freeze

Hi, I'm using the latest Indesign CC on my windows 10 laptop
    Indesign keeping freezing and doesn't recover when i use any shortcut keys.
    E.g ctrl E to export a PDF will crash the program, so i need to go the long way of file - export etc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Crashes while inserting a new page in between document

Im using Indesign CC 2019 to create a 180 paged book. While trying to insert a new page in between or delete a page, it keeps loading for a very long time (7-8 mins) and then shows a error message sometimes or mostly crashes.
    This problem just started occurring from yesterday. So far the file was fine.
    Kindly help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Not compatible with Win10 1809?

On Windows 10 v1809 trying to start Indesign v14.0.1 - crashes "dll is either not designed to run on windows 10 or it contains an error .... Error 0x000008b ... please contact vendor"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. CC Libraries panel crashes on right-click

Whenever right-clicking on any item in the CC Libraries panel, the panel crashes. Rebooting computer, restarting InDesign, and resetting preferences did not fix the issue.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. crash

For several days we've had crashes while Indesign CC 2019 (14.0.01) being idle. Might be because links (*.psp and/or *.indd) are breaking due to network issues, but should not crash even so, just say links are broken. This has resulted in several files corrupted and cannot be restored even if those documents themselves are not affected by the broken links. The Indesign temp-files also seem to become corrupt (often showing 0 byte size).

I've sent several crash reports and heard nothing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. ^t

In InDesign, when I use the ^t shortcut to get the type control panel, I lock up and then have to go to Task Manager and close InDesign. (InDesign 14.0.1 x64, Windows 10 Enterprise Version: 1803)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Master pages can't be applied/loaded

Whenever I try to load/apply new master pages to a document, InDesign crashes. I have already rebootet and the same problem still appears. Also tried it on a coworkers computer and the problem is still there.
    New master pages can't be loaded/applied.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Indesign CC2018 crashes on Cmd-V

I'm working on my masters and using a Split Window to copy and paste text from the same document into a list of references. Cmd-V crashes Indesign. With no warning, or hang, it literally shows me the desktop, no save, nothing. Thankfully auto recover sorts it out, but this is something Adobe needs to look at. I can't tell if there is anything special about the text other than it was a web link and had a paragraph style.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base