Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

520 results found

1. Indd file crashes when editing, including it into a book or during the book synchronization

After the Indesign update to the 2020 version I started to have problems with a single file: the program crashes every time I try to edit this file (in particular when I try to modify the content in the middle of the file, at the end of a series of tables), to include it in a book, or to synchronize a book which includes this corrupted file.
    I attach the corrupted file, so you can check
    Is there a solutions?
    Thank you

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Crash once PDF export complete

InDesign 15.0 seems to crash once a PDF export has completed.

Running Windows 7.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. 14.0.3 Crashes and wipes all preferences (17th October 2019)

On closing a document on a mac (using the red dot) inDesign suddenly crashes. When I re-open it, all my preferences have been reset to default - including the animated tool tips returning.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:

• Quit InDesign and create a backup of Preference and cache. Relaunch InDesign to observe if the preferences have been reset.
    • Next time when you encounter a crash, create a backup of Preference and cache prior to InDesign launch. If the issue is encountered, send the back up of preference and cache to the above mail ID

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Stroke edit crash

I create a line with either the pen tool or the line tool. I select the line and open the properties palette. I select the 'stroke' button and open the stroke palette. I click the 'line end' or 'line beginning' to change the end to an arrow, bullet end, etc. InDesign hangs for a moment and then crashes.
    I have submitted multiple crash reports from the crash window that pops up and have received no response from Adobe. It has been going on for months.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Extendscript hangs CC2019 (14.0.2) on macOS

Code below works fine on Windows and CC 2018 on Mac. But CC 2019 Mac it hangs the app once clicking the OK button in window 2. I've tried three different Macs including Mojave and High Sierra. All the same result. Pretty sure it's not just me. This bug has broken a number of my scripts that present a secondary window for saving settings.

var w1 = new Window("dialog", "Window 1");

var btnOpenWindow2 = w1.add("button", undefined, "Open Window 2");

var btnOk1 = w1.add("button", undefined, "OK");

btnOpenWindow2.onClick = function () {

openWindow2();

};

btnOk1 = function () {

w1.close();

};

w1.show();

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue, we are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

6. indesign 2019 crashing upon being opened

as soon as i open indesign 2019, it freezes before i can do anything. i have to force quit, but it it doesn't fix it. it still happens every time. i've resorted back to using indesign 2018.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. InDesign crashes while Editing Cross-Reference

1. InDesign 13.1
    2. Select text, got to Type > Hyperlinks & Cross-References > Insert Cross-Reference
    3. Should be able to open/edit Cross-References
    4. Entire program freezes and has to be force quit.
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue was specific to a corrupt element. Deleting or modifying the corrupt element resolved the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. InDesign crashes while working with Hyperlink

For some reason there is 1 page number on my TOC that keeps making Indesign crash when I try applying a hyperlink to it. Everything else hyperlinked just fine. Also, I tried to delete the text so I could maybe retype the number but that also makes my application crash.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign crashes when mounting/updating another InDesign document with overset text

InDesign Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.0.1
    Operating System: macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2
    Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Create a new document in InDesign with at least 3 pages.
    2. Make a textbox on one of the pages (e.g. page 1) and fill it with some text.
    3. Resize the textbox so that some text overset and preflight shows 1 error - overflowing text.
    4. Save and close the document
    5. Create a new InDesign document
    6. Place the InDesign file with the overflowing textbox in the new InDesign document (NOTE: You…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

11. InDesign CC 2018 Crashing Several Times Daily

After updating to InDesign 2018 the application suffered from crashing. I applied the CopyPlugin_MAC.app patch, but it did not fix the issue.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Trying to copy any item or group of items crashes InDesign

Attempting to copy any item or group of items to the pasteboard in InDesign crashes the application.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. direct selection tool

When selecting objects via Direct selection tool, while holding a mouse button, screen goes white (everything disappears).
    This really gets me! Started few months ago. Mac OS, Mac mini M1, InDesign 2023 and 2024 (still this problem!).
    Please help me fix this :)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Indesign crashed when I open the application

Every time I open de application immediately closed after show for a second the welcome screen. I already tried to delete the preferences and deleting and reinstalling indesign without any luck, please help me

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InDesign 2023 crashes when opening older InDesign files

Can't open older version files in InDesign 2023. Using Microsoft Office 2016 64-Bit Edition (yes, I know we're really behind in our operating system). It looks like it's going to open the file, and then it crashes InDesign. Have tried restarting, re-installing InDesign and no go. Have even tried saving the old file as an IDML mark-up file and it still won't open.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign 2023 crashing when using links panel

Though it rights itself occasionally, this happens only when I use the links panel. I am having to cmd-D to import, but that is adding lots of time I don't have.

Restarts of both InDesign and my latest model MacBook Pro are not fixing this.

What can I do?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 17.0.1 crashes adding links

Every time I try to add or change a link in the links panel, InDesign crashes.

I restart InDesign and it tells my my file might be damaged. Do I still want to open it.

I open it. All seems ok. Try to change a link again, and InDesign crashes.

This is so frustrating!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Export Jpeg to nas, finder crash

I have a MacbookPro under macOs BigSur version 11.4 with an Apple M1 chip, the version of Indesign is 16.3.2, when I export one of my files either locally or on the network nas, in the JPEG format to the NAS and I want to open the Finder to see if the file is saved, as soon as I click on it without opening it, the Finder no longer responds and the same for Indesign, which forces me to close Indesign so that the Finder will work again, is there a compatibility problem since there is still no version of…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign crashes when creating new document

InDesign crashes every time I try to create a new document. I can only start from an existing document. Version 2021

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. indesign crashes when inserting copied text from an external document

indesign cc 2021 16.1

I open an existing indesign document
    I copy text from a google doc / external file
    I insert text into existing connected text frame with the text spreading over both frames

-> indesign crashes

(restarting indesign did not help. restarting the mac did not help. wirting text by hand without copying works. copying text within the document works.)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base