Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Relative path to linked excel tables and images

I have folders structure for my engineering report. I want to use it for other projects too. So I need possibility to set relative paths for linked tables and pictures to have possibility to copy whole report structure to the new place and repeate all calculations and make new report. Now I have to copy structure, rename old project folder to force InDesign to take new project folder, open new report book,update all links,save new report book with all documents. Restore name of old project folder.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. About data merge

Merge single records also on double pages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Mini-glyph panel and OpenType adornment in World Ready composer.

Add Mini-glyph panel and OpenType adornment in World Ready composer. There is no raison that we can't use this features on Hebrew or Arabic. For me (and others) OpenType features in Hebrew fobts (glyphs alternates, Justification Alternates, stylic sets, etc...) And for me (and other) are much more needed in Hebrew that in Latin.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Language!!!!!

Please make the program for Polish users in Polish

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Layer palette extra option

Some option where the palette could/would autoshow the active layer - specifically when you have a lot of layers. Currently have docs with 100+ layers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. play video without controls

Please make it possible to hide the controls of a video clip - so its working in Publish online (right now its only working in PDF exports.

With this we could make amazing publish documents with integrated video backdrops of skys, fires or rain.. With all the NON VIDEO CONTROL goodness.

What im trying to say is video without controls can do magical things (like we could back in the good days of ... Flash.. the good days right... :)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Advanced HTML5 export camparable to FrameMaker

I need an HTML5 export comparable to FrameMaker: I need all these options and even more. One of the most important one is splitting of HTML pages and automatic creation of a navigation structure based on these headings.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  HTML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. List path of InDesign document used to publish

I can't tell you how many times I've done back to a published document, want to update, and can't figure out which document was used to publish it. Some record in the dashboard, even a static record, would be useful.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Inline graphic text wrap

I'm a long time InDesign user but am baffled by the inline graphic options currently offered. That ID ignores text wrap settings of the pasted graphic is counter-intuitive, the need to place a paragraph causes unwanted spaces between paragraphs (should the graphic not extend to the full width of the text block), and the visual "anchor object" and "anchor position" options has the graphic jump all over the place without reflecting the usual anchor point behavior I expect. Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. new document palette

The new layout palette window, starting new document, is very very slow to pen, and, while open, is very difficult to read. Older version are the best (version Cs6 for example) very simple and fast to open. Please return to older release!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Font Substitution Preferences

I often have several of the same fonts come up that I'm missing in the documents I'm working on from other people. I think it would be great to be able to have a user preference to define a specific font I have to replace it automatically rather than just a default font.

This could also help with fonts that are technically the same, but one is an open type vs post script version.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Custom page attributes to use as text variables

It would be very helpful to have an option to add specific attributes to pages, such as a name, category, and labels.
    I would then like to use these attributes as text variables.
    Right now the only text variable you can define from the page window is Section Marker.

Also, it would be very helpful if the categorization would be also visual in the pages window.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. navigation

It would be great if InDesign could have back and forward buttons, similar to those in Visual Studio. I constantly have to scroll up and down for work and it would be great if there was simply a back button that would send me to the spot I was before.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Implement Funktion "Start-Stop-Pinging"

While working in a LAN (2ms Ping) or WAN (20ms Ping) with linked content on exhouse Servers, InDesign is getting very very slow.
    Reason is the permanent pinging to the linked files "R U still alive?" which the user cannot stop.

It would save hours of time and tons of nerves each week, if user could easily switch-on and switch-off the ping manually - e.g. like the preflight. While saving, printing or exporting the file the ping should be activated automatically, to inform the user about any changes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. publish online full screen support on iPads

Hi,
    i am using the great "Publish Online" feature on several documents.
    My docs are ok everywhere...

Except full screen browsing :

• working perfectly on desktop browsers, when clicked on the icon in the inferior bar.
    • working perfectly on iPhone (recent os) when switched in landscape mode.

• not working on iPad (recent os, iPad 2, iPad Air and iPad Pro), none of the gesture will work, and none of the browsers neither…
    I've tried Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera.

Impossible to obtain a full screen viewing, which is really required for a presentation. The upper bar will remain…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Let users know (via email) if they should update their system or not

Guys, if you could let us know if we (Mac users) should update our Macs or not, that would be great. You got our emails. You could just send one email to all registered users 'hi guys, our products are not ready for new version of your OS, please be careful with update'. It costs you nothing. That would save a lot of our nerves. Of course, we could check your website before updating, but it is so inconvenient.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Auto shifting groups

I often do a catalog that includes hundreds of items arranged in alpha order; each of which includes an image and two text boxes. Of course, at the last minute the client will add a few more and every every item/group must be moved further along to accommodate them. Let's say I add three new ones beginning with the letter A; Now all the groups must be moved three places further along, line by line page by page.. very tedious and time consuming. But what if there were a way that they could all be set to shift automatically the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hiding objects then showing them again keeps them highlighted like in Illustrator

I suggested this years ago but I think it would be useful to be able to select objects and hide them then by showing them again for them to stay highlighted. This is how the feature works in Illustrator and I use it all the time. It would be really good if it worked the same way in Illustrator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Publish Online: Sharper elements

InDesign seems to convert vector-based elements (linked eps/AI etc.) in JPGs when I publish online. But that's not sharp. Even with 144dpi (Retina Display …). But text is sharp … Is it possible to have alle the same sharp?! (if not the clients ask: why is the text sharp and these elements not?!) Maybe convert to svg or show a PDF …???

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Reflowable EPUB Preview inside InDesign

The EPUB Interactivity preview panel is SO handy. Can we get one for reflowable epubs too (or add this feature to that one)? I would like to see the effects of chapter breaks, floats, image anchors, etc. within InDesign instead of the EPUB export dance all the time. BONUS if it can show me a preview that's roughly equivalent to a chosen preset like iBooks, Kindle, Nook, ADE, Overdrive, and so on.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base