1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Save PDF Export Settings within the InDesign File

I remember CS6 had this feature, and not having it on CC makes exporting PDFs a big hassle.
    When I export a PDF from Document A (say with margin and crop marks) then go to document B (which I usually export without margin or crop marks) It still shows me the exact same settings I used on A.

It should be file dependent: Some files I always export with margin only, others need crop marks. So at the moment I always have to change it again and again on every document.

Would be nice, if I export a file with…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Libraries

A really small thing that has tripped me up a more times that I wish to admit is that in Indesign the CC Libraries is called "CC Libraries" however in Photoshop & Illustrator it is just called "Libraries"

If this could become standardised across the Adobe Suite that would be great.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow document to be editable while using "FIND FONT"

Add the ability to edit and interact with the underlying document while the FIND FONT window is open (just like we can do while the regular FIND/CHANGE window is open)

When FIND FONT is open, the ONLY thing we can do is locate/substitute fonts. We aren't able to interact with the document in any other way. Often while using FIND FONT to locate where missing fonts are used, we find that the issue is actually just some text that we forgot to style properly, or a rogue invisible character that should simply be deleted. But in order to accomplish any…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Tables & Graphs

I would love to have a new tab added in InDesign where you sort of had pre-made templates for graphs and tables and then could modify as needed once inserted into the document. I create many documents that often call for tables and graphs and have to start from scratch and spend sometimes hours perfecting it. It would save so much time to not only have pre-made templates, but also templates we could create ourselves and save and re-insert and populate with new data. And I'd like to have pie charts and other graphs in a similar fashion as well.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Implement Chart- and Diagramfunction

Implement a Chart- and Diagramfunction based on a linked XLS.

Reason:
    Technical Data for Products is often managed in XLS and Engineers create all kind of charts and diagramms directly in XLS.
    Unfortunately it is not possible to import those XLS-charts in InDesign! There are serveral solutions possible, e.g. via PDF, but these are only "dirty-tricks" and they are all not sustainable at all. In the best case the charts and diagramms look ugly.
    While it is possible to link/import XLS-Data, it should be possible to create charts and diagrams directly in InDesign, as Illustrator already does (similar, not nice…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. PageMaker Command Bar

PLEASE bring back the Pagemaker Command Bar. Many of us are not professional designers who remember and utilize all the keyboard shortcuts so we depended on the command bar for a quick and easy way to make changes in our docs. Those who don't need it or use it can simply keep it hidden.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. shadow

Adjusting the shadow size so that the shadow can be smaller than the actual object. (As it is possible with CSS box-shadow, for example)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add "Page" to the "Search in:" options, for both Find/Change and Spell Check

In Find/Change and Spell Check dialogs, we have ability to search within a [Story] [To end of story] [Selection] or [Document]. I would like to see [Current Page] added that options list. Even better would be the ability to specify a [Page Range XX-XX]

[Story] is too specific when we have a bunch of separate text boxes to search through. And [Document] is often way too broad for large documents, and it also searches master pages that we may not wish to search. [Current Page] or [Page Range] would be a really nice middle-ground for both regular Find/Changes and Spell…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Indic Unicode font rendering is broken in InDesign

When writing text in certain Indic scripts, InDesign does not render the font correctly. For example, using the Padauk font for the Myanmar script, the following string renders the Medial Ra (U+103C) around the consonant Na (U+1014) instead of the consonant Ma (U+1019).

မြန်

This bug is a large blocker when dealing with Indic text in InDesign.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Social Media Document Sizes

Add social media sizes as an entire emnu option (next to print/web/mobile) in the New Document settings.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Export the complete Text

To make the text contents of a document available for other users or applications one should be able to export the whole text (meaning every piece of text in the whole document. To a single text file (rtf or txt). Currently I am able to this with a plugin
    (https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/indesign-downloads/text-exporter/) but I feel this should be within the scope of the program itself.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Object Styles for Generated Captions

It would be really helpful when generating captions to be able to assign an object style in addition to a paragraph style. (Even better if there were multiple caption styles to choose from...)

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Placing multi-page PDF (script)

The script PlaceMultipagePDF is a very usefull and neat tool. However, I feel it miss a few options.

• Scale to document page size. With additional option of "fill frame proportionally", "fill content proportionally, "fit content to frame", "fit frame to content" and "center content".

• Option where to place the frame on the page:
      -- Option to place on any corner or center of page.
      -- Option to place on any corner or center of bleed.
      -- Option to have different options above on left and right page.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Save for web

Why don't you implement a "save for web feature" like in illustrator or photoshop? It would be very useful to export assets for web starting from layout designed in Indesign.

Thanks!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  HTML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Custom Stroke Styles

inDesign has a number of Easter Eggs in the stroke styles: Woof, Rainbow, Rasta, Happy, and Lights. So obviously there is a way to create custom stroke styles, but it is locked and inaccessible. Please let us import our own vector objects into the stroke styles panel.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. OpenType User Interface

In this blog article there a great description how indesign can massively improving the handling with fonts and their opentype features...

https://klim.co.nz/blog/towards-an-ideal-opentype-user-interface/

https://ilovetypography.com/2014/10/25/why-a-better-opentype-user-interface-matters/

Also take a look at the Petition:
    https://ilovetypography.com/2014/10/22/better-ui-for-better-typography-adobe-petition/

Is there anything in the works?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Don't ask to save a [Converted] document if I haven't made any changes to it

There are so many updates to InDesign these days and I have so many files it's guaranteed that most of my files will now be in the "previous" version so I get them all opening as "[Converted]". Most of the time I just open them to refer to things, so it's annoying when you close it and it asks you if you want to save it even though you haven't done anything.

Like any other document, ID should know if you've made any changes. If you haven't, it should just close the document without prompting you to save it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. CMYK to RGB export should always translate 100K to RGB 0,0,0

As per the title, when working with a CMYK document with 100K blacks, when exporting to RGB, these should always get translated to RGB 0,0,0 - regardless of what Printing/Exporting setting is used in the Appearance of Black preference menu.

Right now, when exporting a CMYK document to RGB (regardless of whether you use PDF, PNG or JPG), if your Appearance to Black Print/Export setting is set to "Output All Blacks Accurately", you will end up with incorrect black levels. What really should be RGB 0,0,0 ends up being RGB 35,31,32 or so. This is true even when working with…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Find/Change: search multiple formats, NOT & OR options, multiple changes, drop-downs

I work with books, some of them very long and complex. Because I'm strict about styles and consistency, and because the authors rarely are, I have to use Find/Change a lot. It is by far the part of InDesign that I find most lacking.

1. Instead of clicking to get to find format or change format options, pick from drop-down(s) right there on the F/C dialog. At least for styles (but ideally also for fonts, swatches, etc.).

2. Search multiple styles at once (but not all styles, as happens when you don't select one in the find format area). For example: find…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Long text authoring experience

InDesign is usually employed in post-production, after the auther had finished writing a book, a screenwriter his script. You could make inDesign the tool of choice for writers, thanks to its wonderful authoring experience. Enhanced long document editor. This opens the market for independent publishers and authors to make their creation end-to-end, from inception to finish

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base