Adobe InDesign: Bugs
When filing a new bug, please provide:
- Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
- Steps to reproduce the issues
- Expected result
- Actual result
- Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
- or
7736 results found
-
Setting maximum limit above 2000 for "Always subset fonts with glyph counts greater than:" does not work
By default, the InDesign preference General > Always subset fonts with glyph counts greater than is set to 2000 characters. However, there are many popular fonts that have many thousands of glyphs beyond that and changing this number to a higher glyph count to accommodate those fonts does not work. The fonts are still subset even if the PDF export setting is set to "Subset fonts when percent of characters used is less than 0%."
Fonts to try:
Garamond Premier Pro
Arno ProThis is a major problem for files intended for print that require fonts to be fully embedded.
5 votes -
[ID-4264855] Issue with Animated Zoom in GPU
New PC GPU zoom doesn't seem to centre the zoom on the cursor leading to not super useful behaviour (you have to zoom and then drag with the hand tool to get back to what you were originally trying to zoom into). It's very disorientating.
5 votesThe fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2025(v20.5.0.048). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.
If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application click on the context menu on the top right, and click on Check for App Updates.
—
Adobe InDesign Team
-
Title Case Is Not Actually Title Case
I'm editing book with over 1,000 pages. I am selecting copy, changing case to Title Case, but it just capitalizes first letter in all words. There needs to be another case option. Title case needs to be setup so it makes a "title" of a book so words like "of" are not capitalized. New option can be called First Letter Caps, and Title case can be fixed to address words that should not be capitalized in a title of a book or headline.
The Old Man and the Sea (Actual Title Case) The Old Man And The Sea(Not Title Case)
I have been going to a website to copy and paste content so it will generate correct Title Case results. Total waste of time. Please fix this!
I'm editing book with over 1,000 pages. I am selecting copy, changing case to Title Case, but it just capitalizes first letter in all words. There needs to be another case option. Title case needs to be setup so it makes a "title" of a book so words like "of" are not capitalized. New option can be called First Letter Caps, and Title case can be fixed to address words that should not be capitalized in a title of a book or headline.
The Old Man and the Sea (Actual Title Case) The Old Man And The Sea(Not Title Case)
…
5 votes -
selecting text boxes
InDesign 20.2 Mac M1 Sequoia 15.4.1. When I click a text box to select it, nothing happens until I jiggle the mouse. When this happens the corner boxes appear. However, many times when I click, nothing appears selected. This bug is unsettling. This is why I prefer to use InDesign 19 for important jobs. The text block in the attached screen shot has been single clicked.
5 votes -
Lag in 20.0 and higher
The lag in 20.0 and its updates is hard to stomach. We pay a lot for this app and it is VERY difficult to work with these issues. Evey time I click on something in a document - no matter how large a file - there is lag. Text boxes, images, color shapes/boxes. I have a brand new Mac Studio with Apple M2 Ultra and 128GB Memory - I have more than enough power to support your app. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE. I have tried all of the troubleshooting offered to no avail, and I shouldn't have to trouble shoot to make it function properly.
The lag in 20.0 and its updates is hard to stomach. We pay a lot for this app and it is VERY difficult to work with these issues. Evey time I click on something in a document - no matter how large a file - there is lag. Text boxes, images, color shapes/boxes. I have a brand new Mac Studio with Apple M2 Ultra and 128GB Memory - I have more than enough power to support your app. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE. I have tried all of the troubleshooting offered to no avail, and I shouldn't have to trouble shoot…
5 votes -
Constantly forgetting Workspace setting
InDesign 20.1, as well as pretty much every version since 2019 continually forget my WorkSpace setting, so that when I boot ID, it randomly thinks I'm new, and so it loads the annoying popups and product tours and the almost ubiquitous blue alert at the bottom helping me with saving my settings.
Fix this.
5 votes -
Can't move objects properly, they jump out of the frame InDesign V20.1
When I want to move the frame around the page, the object jumps randomly on the side of the screen. Does not fallow the mouse. Cannot do precise layout.
5 votes -
[ID-4245219]Second letter disappears after applying dropcap in PDF export using ID Eng Hebrew version
Issue: [Break in ID 19.0] Second letter disappears after applying dropcap in PDF export using ID Eng Hebrew version
Under certain conditions, the second letter after the opening letter in a word vanishes. This issue affects the appearance and natural flow of the text.
Note: Creating this thread to track the third point mentioned in the thread: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/48955319-hebrew-text-bugs-in-indesign-2025
5 votesFix for this issue is now available in the latest InDesign Release version 20.1 (Build 20.1.0.71), available via Creative Cloud Desktop application.
Please update your InDesign application to this latest version to get the fix.
--
Adobe InDesign team
-
[ID-4230173]Custom Workspace is not retained.
InDesign 2025 workspace resets to basic/essentials every time i open the program or another document. I have a workspace saved and the program is not honoring that.
5 votesFix for this issue is now available in the latest InDesign Release version 20.1 (Build 20.1.0.71), available via Creative Cloud Desktop application.
Please update your InDesign application to this latest version to get the fix.
--
Adobe InDesign team
-
縦書きテキストの縦横独立変倍による挙動がおかしい
複数行ある縦書きのテキストを、フレームごと例えば横方向だけ50%縮小したとしたら、最後の行だけ縦方向に50%縮小される。逆に縦に50%縮小したら最後の行は横に50%される。
5 votes -
[ID-4256404]InDesign crashes consistently on book pdf export
InDesign 20, Mac Ventura 13.7. iMac 27in, 2017.
Every time I try to export a Book to PDF InDesign crashes. Crash occurs even with just one idd doc in the book (with nothing in the doc besides a single page with one rectangle shape).5 votesThe fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2025(v20.0.1.032). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.
If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application click on the context menu on the top right, and click on Check for App Updates.
—
Adobe InDesign Team
-
Applescript export and save commands not working
InDesign 2025 - Applescript export and save commands not working.
Tested on muliple mac OS versions5 votes -
Image Path Data Merge Is Ignored
InDesign 19.4 for Mac (Sonoma 14.5)
After the latest update, the data merge is not longer working properly for image files. While, in some cases, the paths to the images is correctly resolved and the images are embedded, the same data file that has worked earlier this year now creates an issue, so that images are not shown after data merge.
Instead of using the path given in the data file, InDesign now searches for the images in the folder where the data file is, ignoring the path name in the data file.
Moving the images into this folder works as a workaround. However, resolving image paths has worked correctly in previous versions, and I would love to have the old functionality back.
InDesign 19.4 for Mac (Sonoma 14.5)
After the latest update, the data merge is not longer working properly for image files. While, in some cases, the paths to the images is correctly resolved and the images are embedded, the same data file that has worked earlier this year now creates an issue, so that images are not shown after data merge.
Instead of using the path given in the data file, InDesign now searches for the images in the folder where the data file is, ignoring the path name in the data file.
Moving the images into this folder works…
5 votes -
Reflowable EPUB3: "Page Navigation" export option adds a space inside hyphenated words at page breaks
Version of InDesign: 19.4
-
steps to reproduce
- create a new InDesign file
- add a text frame to the blank page
- add enough text so some words are hyphenated at the page breaks for the next pages
- export to epub3
- enable "Page Navigation" on EPUB export
Expected result
Page navigation markers are added without interrupting the hyphenated words at the page breaks.-
Actual result
When using the "Page Navigation" export option for reflowable EPUB exports, InDesign adds a <span> and </span> tag pair with a blank space character in the HTML export instead of simply dropping the soft hyphen that was present in the print layout.
Result in the EPUBs XHTML:
<p class="bodytext">Idel illandia suntusdae quoditint debitatissit quam quamus magnimus es quiaeper elor eper<span id="page2" role="doc-pagebreak" aria-label="2" epub:type="pagebreak"> </span>nat quo con re nimus?</p>
Another example using English text (from the "Georgia" file in the EPUB3 samples project):
In my file "georgia", the words "consists" and "headward" are both hyphenated by InDesign as "con-sists" and "head-ward" at the page breaks, but exported to EPUB as
con<span id="page2" role="doc-pagebreak" aria-label="2" epub:type="pagebreak"> </span>sists
and
head<span id="page3" role="doc-pagebreak" aria-label="3" epub:type="pagebreak"> </span>ward</span>
respectively, thus displaying as "con sists" and "head ward".
I am confident that this is not an issue of readers / apps display the EPUB erroneously, as I tested my example files on a PC with Kindle Previewer 3.81, Adobe Digital Editions 4.5, Thorium 2.2.0, as well as on a Kindle Paperwhite via Send to Kindle, a tolino (popular brand of readers in Germany, both with Adobe RMSDK rendering engine and new Readium-based rendering engine), an iPad with Apple Books and a Pocketbook InkPad Color.
The W3C recommendation for page break markers is not a pair of opening <span> and closing </span> tags, but a self-closing <span/> tag, e.g.
<span id="page2" role="doc-pagebreak" aria-label="2" epub:type="pagebreak"/>
which would look like this for the above examples:
<p class="bodytext">Idel illandia suntusdae quoditint debitatissit quam quamus magnimus es quiaeper elor eper<span id="page2" role="doc-pagebreak" aria-label="2" epub:type="pagebreak"/>nat quo con re nimus?</p>
con<span id="page2" role="doc-pagebreak" aria-label="2" epub:type="pagebreak"/>sists
head<span id="page3" role="doc-pagebreak" aria-label="3" epub:type="pagebreak"/>ward</span>
Personally, I'd think using a pair of <span> / </span> tags WITHOUT an additional space should work out, too, if you absolutely must use a tag pair for whatever reason.
However, I would strongly urge you to change the implementation to conform to the W3C recommendation.
Either way, the current behaviour creates errors on EPUB export which are not present in the indd source file - so please change this as soon as possible.
-
Test files
How am I supposed to supply a sample file if I am neither allowed to upload indd, idml, epub or zip files‽
Since I raised this issue on the Community board first, please go there for the sample files: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/page-navigation-markers-for-epub-interrupt-hyphenated-words/m-p/14636220#M575090
-
Further Reading
https://www.w3.org/TR/dpub-aria-1.0/#doc-pagebreak
https://kb.daisy.org/publishing/docs/html/dpub-aria/doc-pagebreak.html
Version of InDesign: 19.4
-
steps to reproduce
- create a new InDesign file
- add a text frame to the blank page
- add enough text so some words are hyphenated at the page breaks for the next pages
- export to epub3
- enable "Page Navigation" on EPUB export
Expected result
Page navigation markers are added without interrupting the hyphenated words at the page breaks.-
Actual result
When using the "Page Navigation" export option for reflowable EPUB exports, InDesign adds a <span> and </span> tag pair with a blank space character in the HTML export instead of simply dropping the soft hyphen that was…
5 votes -
InDesign black screen after I disconnect from the external monitor
Black screen in InDesign after disconnecting from external monitor. If I close InDesign and restart it, it works again. But that's very annoying for my colleagues and me.
5 votes -
Variable font sliders are laggy
Variable font sliders are much less smooth in InDesign, compared to Illustrator. They are much laggier.
Attached is a screen recording of the Acumin variable font being used in Illustrator (top) and InDesign (bottom).
5 votes -
InDesign resets window position set by Magnet utility on macOS
In the current v19.4 (2024), when I use the common utility Magnet to resize the InDesign window (i.e. the Application Frame) to full screen, InDesign itself will reset the window position as soon as I ⌘-tab out of InDesign and return to it. No other app on my Mac does this, and it's very frustrating. Manual window size changes are honoured.
There are other inconcistencies about InDesign's window positioning on macOS too — if it opens on my laptop screen, the application bar (above the control panel) appears under the menu bar and is almost invisible.
Please fix.
5 votes -
Documents not showing when changing screens.
When disconnecting my MacBook Pro from my Apple Studio Display open documents are not showing on the laptop screen - only blank grey screen. I can mark its content but nothing but bounding boxes are visible. Have to shut down all documents and start all over.
5 votes -
Correct but wrong German translation for Review Panel
The German translation for »Share for Review« is »Für Review freigeben«. I do not understand why you kept the »Review« in English, but that's not my point here and could be discussed somewhere else.
There is the Review panel, which can be opened via Window > Comments > Review. In German it should be named »Review« as well, because you did not rename the functionality. Right?
But, hey, the panels name ist »Überprüfen«. Correct translation, but inconsistent, as you might agree to me.
So please, change »Überprüfen« to »Review« or change »Review« everywhere else to »Überprüfen«.
5 votes -
preview glitch
Preview Glitch occured today. This has never happened. I have noticed that InDesign has been been super buggy lately.
5 votes
- Don't see your idea?