Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6486 results found

1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. text

text contorn doesn't work, the box is empty. Any idea?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Mistakenly copying layer name instead of layer content

Nobody command-clicks the an Indesign layer hoping to copy the layer name, but much of the time when attempting to copy the layer content, the layer title is the only thing brought into the clipboard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

4. Windows 10 PC. VBA for Excel and the InDesign CC2017 library are not functioning.

I have a serious problem. I have a new Acer PC Windows 10. I am using Office 365 Excel VBA to control InDesign CC2017. The InDesign CC2107 Type Library is not functioning with the VBA. I have been using this setup since CS3 to automate InDesign actions and provide solutions for automating print production.

I am trying to start a $4000 project using these same InDesign capabilities but am unable to get anywhere. I am most disappointed and upset at this occurrance and am seeking some assistance from Adobe. Attached is the software code that I am trying to implement.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Incorrect kerning on justified text

InDesign v. 12.2.0.56

I'm working in a book file, and this problem seems to occur at random. The kerning in the first word of a line of justified type is incorrect visually, but when you check it with the cursor, it is the correct number. If you change it, it jumps and appears to be correct again, visually, but if you save, close, and reopen the file, it is incorrect again.

It is problematic because when a PDF is exported, the incorrect kerning is what gets exported.

The problem has occurred in two different books I have worked on with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Das Fenster Dateininformationen ist unsichtbar! Aber man muss es mit "Enter" bestätigen, um weiterarbeiten zu können.

Fenster zeigen, dass die Metadaten wieder angepasst werden können (wie bei früheren Versionen).

Indesign CC 2017.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Interface while using : no preview

When I use the scale tool with MORE than one text block, I can't see the block content while checking the "preview" box. I can only see changing the size of the blocks but they seem empty up to clicking on "OK" button. This happens only with many text boxes (or block, I don't know how you call them in english) . You can see a screenshot linked to my message. If I do the same with many image boxes, all is ok. If I do the same with only one text bloc, all is ok.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. hotkeys aren't working

displaying high quality images
    export file

The hotkey for both of these features is not working most of the time.

Also, hitting enter for saving files in the save window isn't working either. But it does work in Illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. crash

After the opening of the 5° files Indesign Crashes, i have to open a massive number of files. I make a fast check on my PC and the system works with half of the resources available. So i think the problem is not my pc but the program. I have an HPZ240 Tower Workstation. RAM 16GB. Processor Inte(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @4.20GHz and the Hard disk it's an SSD 500gb. The operative sistems it's a Windows 10 pro. The version of the program InDesign build 12.1.0.56 release 2017.1.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Problem with publish online

Hello, I want to publish online my brochure, but there are display errors with places images with layer-effects (multiplicate) see the screenshots. Please fix it! Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Character missing in Adobe Devanagari font

Please review the attachment.

I am unable to locate or reproduce the character after the = using the Adobe Devanagari script. Need it urgently as I am working on a book.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. repeatedly opening a template in a loop eventually crashes at app.open

Repeatedly opening and closing a template via extendscript code (for means of batch production) causes InDesign to crash at and only at app.open(PATH).

attached file is a bare bones jsx that opens/closes the accompanying blank template either 100000 times or until it crashes (which it has done within an hour each time I have run it)

Seems to crash anywhere from 40 to 1500 iterations in.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. adobe 2017 exporting pdfs are terrible in any colour profile. Printing and rgb pdf is fine.

no ideas - need help! Indeign is useless to me without being able to make good pdfs in both cmyk and rgb

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Personalization of the Fontsize is not working in the Main Menu

I have issues with glasses and therefore set the fontsize of menus etc higher, however in the main menu Indesign is just ignoring me, while in the sub menu it works fine. Plus in the formats and other tool boxes it isn'T working either. Please fix, it makes working with this program harder than it should be.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Missing menu

I'm trying to insert a text variable (last page number) in my document but the menu doesn't appear.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Exported JPG and PNG are not recognised when trying to Insert Image in Word 2011

Indesign 12.1.0.56 on macOS Sierra 10.12.5. Exporting as jpg or png files are not recognised when I go to insert them into Word 2011 on Mac.
    However, files are recognised when:
    - exported from Indesign 12.1.0.56 x64 on PC and inserted into Word 2011 on Mac
    - exported from Mac and inserted into Word 2010 on PC
    - I had no problems when using indesign 2015 on Mac and inserting into Word 2011 on Mac.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Issues with quick apply

Quick apply is very slow the first time that you've opened it after a while. In addition, if you switch to another document that you haven't viewed in a while and you click quick apply, InDesign crashes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Too slow to shut down

If you've opened a document, InDesign is very slow to shut down.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Increase space in "Delete Style" replacement dialog box

If I am deleting/replacing Styles that are in folders, there is not enough room to show the entire Style name in the dialog box where I am supposed to choose a replacement Style. I can only see a handful of characters in the name. If I can't see what Style is being replaced, how can I choose a replacement?
    This only seems to happen if the folder name is longer than a few characters. I am running Windows 10 and CC 2017.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base