Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6486 results found

1. crash

Very often when trying to save as InDesign is crashing making me lost my un saved work.

I can't attach a file since my computer crash...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. InDesign crashes when adding Cross-Reference

Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Macintosh)

I click Window > Type & Tables > Cross-References. With my cursor in a text box, I click "Create new cross-reference". Sometimes it crashes here; sometimes it opens the dialog.

When it opens the dialog, there is nothing in the Cross-Reference Format dropdown. I can click the pencil and open the Cross-Reference Format dialog and create a new format, but when I click OK the whole program crashes and closes out.

I am not experiencing freezing where I need to force-close -- it closes out completely, immediately.

I created a blank doc and am able…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. enableRedraw = false ignored during script run

During a loop to load text snippets to my page ID 2020 ignores the fact that enableRedraw=false and DOES redraw the page on every loop

app.scriptPreferences.enableRedraw = false;

do {
            app.doScript(insertTexts2, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Insert Texts " + C2Place + ":" + V2Place);
        } while (libs[8][3].geometricBounds[0] < pageTextBottom);
        app.scriptPreferences.enableRedraw = true;

The text is inserted into 8 different frames -- during the loop it SHOULDN'T redraw the page -- but it does (slowing the script down)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. INDD 2020 distorted vector graphics when opening old files

When we open old indd files, the incorporated vector graphics are distorted (even if the wire view is correct).
    Copy Paste make the deformation permanent.
    Importing original illustrator graphics in the doc works.

This is a very important issue as we often rework/update packs for our customers, and massive production could be trashed if the default is not seen immediately.

Trust in the tools is very important: we have no time/budget to recheck that everything is still perfect when changing a typo or ref somewhere else in the file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Crash once PDF export complete

InDesign 15.0 seems to crash once a PDF export has completed.

Running Windows 7.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Character outline aligned center PDF export problem

Character outline aligned center PDF export problem

Indesign 15.0.1, Mac Os 10.15.2

Missing hyphen and some character on line endings has outline color instead fill.

Explaned on placed PDF.

Export to PostScript or printing is OK.

Thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Linked text block loses link if replaced.

InDesign Version 15.0.2
    Steps to reproduce issue:
    a.) drag a formatted dummy text block to page from CC Library
    b.) select dummy text block, CMD + D, select copy file to place.
    c.) select same dummy text block, CMD + D, select any copy file and place again.
    Expected result: Copy file link should be shown in links panel.
    Actual result: Copy file link dissappears during step "C".
    *This issue doesn't happen when dummy text block is pulled from a local library.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    amaarora responded

Hi,
    I tried to reproduce the issue, was not able to.
    Can you please share a small video showing the issue?

Thanks
    amaarora@adobe.com

8. Printing error with Acrobat

I get the following error message when I try to print InDesign documents to Acrobat.
    %%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
    %%[ Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: readstring ]%%

Stack:

(› PoÈsKÖnµÐY5Âê2¢ ÷Fmø-êíöYJ
    øR½=Ö¤%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
    %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Getting frustrating. Any ideas on how to repair it?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Placed vector graphics show as low-resolution previews on export of book to pdf

In InDesign 14.0.2 on macOS 10.14.6, when an InDesign indd file containing placed vector graphics (PDF or Illustrator files) is part of an InDesign book, and the entire book is exported to PDF, some graphics in the PDF show as low-resolution previews.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    Create two or more InDesign files with placed vector PDFs, and save and close them.
    Add these InDesign files to an InDesign Book file.
    Export the Book as a PDF.

Expected result:
    Placed vector PDFs show as vector graphics in the exported PDF.

Actual result:
    Some placed vector PDFs show as low-resolution previews…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Falha ao exportar arquivo PDF

Quando estou finalizando meu projeto de revista, exporto para pdf em baixa resolução para revisão. Tanto a versão de baixa resolução quando de alta resolução não estão sendo exportados para PDF. Gostaria de saber o que devo fazer para conseguir exportar.
    Google translator:
    When I am finalizing my magazine project, I export to low resolution pdf for review. Both the low resolution and high resolution versions are not being exported to PDF. I would like to know what I must do to be able to export.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Index entries lost when importing a .docx file with text frames into InDesign

InDesign version: CC 2018
    MS Word version: 2013

When I import a .docx file that uses text boxes/text frames/shapes into InDesign, most of the index entries within the .docx file is lost. When I import the same .docx file after removing all the shapes, all index entries remain intact.
    I've attached reference .docx and .indd files so that you can see what I mean. The .docx file (loremipsumindex.docx) has five index entries, that are lost when imported to InDesign (loremipsumindex.indd). On removing the text box from the .docx file (loremipsumindexwotxtbox.docx), the

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. macOS Spaces

InDesign does not seem to properly use macOS Spaces. Some windows or popups prevent InDesign from showing up properly if the application is selected, either in the Dock or in the Command-Tab switcher.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. not exporting to jpg

Since the most recent update, I can no longer export ID file to jpg or png. The files just shows as zero bytes. I am able to save as pdf and then save as image. But need to be able to export to jpg and png. Please fix. Thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Alternate filling function of table rows doesn't work on imported Word table

Please see the attached video to fully understand what is the issue about: the alternate filling function doesn't work on an imported Word table. Also I attach the InDesign file to help you solve this bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Alternate filling function of table rows doesn't work on imported Word table

Please see the attached video to fully understand what is the issue about: the alternate filling function doesn't work on an imported Word table. Also I attach the InDesign file to help you solve this bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. In the Table of Contents panel, make the 'Include Book Documents' option persistent and part of the style

I am writing a book, with 18 chapters, each as a separate InDesign document, but all collected in a single Book.indb.

I just now returned to writing the book after a several months break. Wanting to update my structure, I did Layout > Table of Contents and clicked 'OK'. My Table of Contents disappeared!

After investigating, I realized that the 'Include Book Documents' option in that panel had become unchecked.

I checked that option, ran Table of Contents again, and found all my table of contents entries generated successfully. Yay!

HOWEVER, when I went to regenerate the Table of Contents,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Footnotes Issue

Dear Sir or Madame,

since the automatic End-/footnotes have been implemented in indesign we have critical issues working with the program.
    We are a publishing company with several designers and do also publications with different languages (CC2014 was the last version, which worked without problems, as there have not yet been automatic footnotes).
    If we have a publication/book with two or more languages we work with different layers in indesign – for each language one layer. The problem starts, when we have also footnotes to work with. After finishing the layout in the first language, we have to duplicate the…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Version 15.0.2 - Images are pixelated after exporting file to PDF.

The work around I've found is to go to Compression and turn off Bicubic downsampling. And select Do not downsample.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit:
    Hello All,
    We acknowledge those comments where some of us have mentioned that the issue is still not fixed; we are already working on it.
    Please note that, in the earlier release we had fixed few cases which were leading to the issue.
    There are still few scenarios which are yet to be investigated and fixed.
    Unfortunately, this particular thread has become too generic.
    We request you to provide your comments in below provided new thread. Please do mention your observation while submitting the comment. It will help us in our ongoing investigation.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38991835-undo-not-working-properly-in-indd-2020

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

20. Crash when scaling text beound 1296 pt

I can repeatably make InDesign crash by:

1: Creating a big page (Mine is 250x100cm)
    2: Making a textframe and writing a short word (I wrote "café")
    3: Hit "E" and scale the frame by dragging the corners
    4: If I scale the frame so the point size is higher than 1296 pt InDesign will crash.

I am on InDesign 15.0.2 on MacOS 10.14.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base