Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.

2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the endnote.

To…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Spellcheck not working

The Spellcheck tool does not work as of version 14.0.1
    The spellcheck window pops open but "spellcheck complete"message appears. Clicking "start" does nothing. This happens in all documents. All the settings and user dictionary seem correct.

I tried selecting all the options in the "search" dropdown menu but nothing works. Spellcheck simply won't start.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Invisible character

Apply all Auto Edits inserts an invisible character before which then interferes with Find and Replace. When pasted into a GREP search, it looks like ~I, but can't be found. It can be manually removed, but this is not helpful, as I need to be able to perform a comprehensive Find/Replace.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "View PDF after exporting" previously opened acrobat, now my computer switches between opening Illustrator, Mircosoft Word, rarely Acrobat

I've set my computer to use Acrobat as default, yet perhaps you could add an Application of choice to use when view exported PDF.

Not sure if it's just a bug, but any fix would be welcome. Thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign freezes while working with "Scale Tool"

When using the "Scale Tool", every 4 or 5 times or so the app freezes at the dialog box and there's no way to exit. You have to force quit the app and hope that your work is autosaved. Unacceptable and only started happening recently.

InDesign 15.1.1 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6

HELP!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. GREP Begining of STORY not Working in InDesign 2020 15.0.3

GREP (Begining of STORY) not Working in InDesign 2020 15.0.3

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign and Acrobat conflict

I just installed InDesign 2020 15.0. When I try to export a file to PDF I get an error message saying that file is already open, which it is not. Closing Adobe Acrobat and reopening doesn't solve issue, only restarting InDesign does. Hugely inconvenient. I have not been prompted to upgrade Acrobat and I never had that problem with earlier InDesign versions.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Reveal in Finder on NAS Server not working

When using InDesign 14.0.3, on mac OS X Catalina (10.15.1), ctrl clicking the .indd file's title bar to reveal in finder doesn't work (switches to finder but doesn't reveal) if the .indd file is stored on NAS RAID server. Server connection is afp://
    Revel in Finder command works fine if the .indd file is stored locally.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Warnhinweis "Dokument wurde außerhalb des Buches bearbeitet"

Wird eine Buchdatei bearbeitet und geschlossen ohne das das Fenster Buch geöffnet ist, wird das Dokument mit dem Warnhinweis "Dokument wurde außerhalb des Buches bearbeitet" markiert.
    Dieser Fehler tritt nicht auf, wenn das Fenster Buch beim Schließen oder Speichern geöffnet bzw. angezeigt wird.
    Es ist kein Grund für dieses Verhalten zu erkennen. In den letzten ID Versionen trat dieser Effekt nicht auf.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting the issue. As confirmed from you all, the crash issue is not happening with latest InDesign build. The only remaining issue is that of Grep not working when a period is followed by an endnote marker

We will look into the issue shortly.

-InDesign

13. PDF Hyphenation Bug when line has cross-reference, hyphenated word, and option is to create Tagged PDF

When exporting an InDesign document to PDF, the hyphenated word is displayed incorrectly in the output PDF.

It only happens with a line that has cross-reference object, hyphenated word, and option is to create Tagged PDF.

InDesign 2019 (14.0.1) (MAC/PC) . Also tried it with previous versions and it has the same issue.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Export jpg

Hi!
    When I create banners in Indesign 14.0.1 I use hires images as TIF and exporting it to JPG. The final files in JPG end up with corrupt pixels. I have to place a lowres JPG in Indesign to be able to export it as a correct JPG.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  PNG/JPEG/EPS Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. InDesign Publish Online Not Clickable on Windows in Chrome or Firefox

Working in: Adobe InDesign CC 2018

We recently published a guide online using Adobe Publish online. The clickable elements (buttons, interactive elements) are not clickable on touchscreen PCs in Chrome or Firefox, but the touchscreen works (not as clean, but works). This issue is not present when the PC users are in safari or internet explorer. All content was created and published on a Mac, and no macs have had an issue.

The content is private, but I can send the guide to anyone from Adobe on a person-person basis.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Cursor size in working area is huge InDesign CC 2018 Win

The ID cursor (black) when over the workspace is huge. It is normal size when hovering over the tool bars (white), but when you move over the workspace it is supersized. This occurs when working on an external monitor, but is scaled appropriately on HD Laptop Screen.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Text wraps when replacing a swatch

If I replace a swatch the text wraps at one place. It happens just with one color in the document... I doesn't matter which swatch I use for replacing... I never seen this before. I image how risky that is when you're replacing a swatch in a large project like a catalog and than somewhere in the document text is wraping...

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. My InDesign CC window will not minimise into the dock?

Hi,

Not sure where to go with this one but I have just upgraded to Adobe CC and noticed that I'm unable to 'Minimise' the window in InDesign and also noticed that it won't do it in Illustrator but Photoshop does minimise (ODD!)

All it will do is when you double click it fills to fit screen and then the opposite.

I have posted this onto the forum and others have mentioned that they are also experiencing this problem.

(I have turned on the 'Double -click a windows title bar to minimize' in the System Preferences)

Please could you help…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Dotted line looks pixelated in pdf

When I export a Indesign file to pdf that has lines in it with japanese dot style, the dots appear pixelated in the pdf. But only the dots on a straight line, the dots in the rounded corner (see attached screenshots) look good, as do the dots on a circle line.

When I print the file they look good. But as I need to show this document on screen as well it has to look good on screen too.

Could you please fix this?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base