Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Filetype is the same as CC 2018

InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.0.130) for Mac
    Filetype is the same as CC 2018. Each version has been given a unique Filetype. The only exception is v6.0.0–6.0.3 (CS4), but it was fixed as a bug in 6.0.4. I also expect it to be fixed as a bug of 14.0.0 as well.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has been done to preclude any new entries for CFBundleTypeOSTypes. The previous release, CC2018 had CFBundleTypeOSType as IDdD but for the new release, we have not created the new OSType entry as IDdE rather kept the previos entry intact.

Apple had deprecated any entries of the form of CFBundleType from 10.5 and now recommends using a UTType(Uniform Type Identifier) entry instead of creating CFBundleType entries. We might choose creating UTTypes in the future. However, for now we have stopped creating separate CFBundleTypes for the new releases.
    It would helpful to know from you as to how you use these entries in your workflows so that we can suggest you an alternative.

2. Redraw problems when having multiple Textboxes in a Textflow (Often used in DatabasedPublishing)

macOS: 10.13.6
    InDesign: 14.0.2.

When placing a Text-Frame that Adjusts in height inside of a "Master-Textframe" (Often used in DatabasedPublishing to paginate Products that should not split between columns etc.) InDesign fails to redraw the placements of other Objects correctly - AND IT EXPORTS TO PDF!

This is horrible and has already lead to some huge problems in big Projects where we needed to work this way but InDesign made it a pain.

See attached Video for clarification.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multiple listings of same font in Find Font menu

There are multiple listings of the same font in the Find Font menu in CC2019. All information is the same, all applied characters are the same, but there is odd behavior.

--FileA_CC2019_WithDocumentsfontsfolder.png shows double listing of Trade Gothic LT Pro Roman.

--FileA_CC2019_WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (when I take away access to Document fonts folder, no other changes), one instance switches to "Regular" instead of "Roman"

--FileA_CC2017_WithDocumentfontsfolder.png shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

--FileA_CC2017_WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (Document fonts folder hidden) shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

I process large volumes of files;…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Text wraps when replacing a swatch

If I replace a swatch the text wraps at one place. It happens just with one color in the document... I doesn't matter which swatch I use for replacing... I never seen this before. I image how risky that is when you're replacing a swatch in a large project like a catalog and than somewhere in the document text is wraping...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Anchored frame looses the XML tag information as soon as anchor is released/anchor point is moved forward.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create an anchored text/graphic frame with some inline text/image. Tag the frame with some XML Tag (say 'tag1').

2. Now release the anchor.

Expected output
    - On releasing the anchor, there should be no changes in the XML tag on frame.

Actual output
    - On releasing the anchor, the frame gets untagged.

Additional note: Similar thing happens when anchor is moved forward to another position in inline text. In this case also, frames gets untagged

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. arabic harakats moving

Hi!

There is interesting bug with arabic letters. When we have aleef-lyam-aleef with harakats + footnote references with more than one symbol (from 1 to 9, no problem, 10+ or (1), problems starts) on the line, harakats swap together. Have tried with multiple fonts, most of them (adobe font too) got this error.

Tested this in 2014 and 2018 ME versions of Indesign.

Hope you can easily fix it, cause it's a real problem for book publishing.
    Thank you!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. InDesign Fonts folder no longer respects symlinks (2019, Mac)

The Fonts folder in the InDesign 2019 application folder no longer follows symlinks, as previous versions did.

I prefer to keep my InDesign fonts separate from my system fonts, and in previous versions placed a symlink to my font folder in the InDesign application folder, titled "Fonts." InDesign would follow that link, and I would have access to all of my fonts within InDesign, without needing to install them user- or system-wide.

In InDesign 2019, no symlinks are followed - not on the top level, and not inside the folder either. (Tested by symlinking one font or one folder inside…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Links panel sorting

InDesign CC 2018, 13.1 (mac os 10.13.4)

panels: links: panel options: show column: Scale.

Bug:
    The sorting function for "Scale" in links panel doesn't work properly.
    If I sort by scaling percentages, they list incorrectly.

Example: 187 % comes between 21 % and 15 %.
    That means it sorts them alphabetically as digits, but should sort them as numbers. Please fix.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Data Merge ignores files when a header field is called 'table'

If Data Merge tries to select a data source where one of its header fields is called 'table' (all lowercase), it fails to import (InDesign v 13.0.1). It doesn't seem to matter which column it's in, but changing it to anything else (e.g. 'Table' with uppercase 'T') seems to fix it.

Tried it on 2 machines, same result. Adobe Customer Care on Twitter confirmed they could replicate it and suggested I post it here.

Short video attached illustrating the issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Hunspell dictionaries cannot be added in Sierra or High Sierra

Adding Hunspell dictionaries breaks code-signing, and results in the whole of InDesign's spelling system being sand-boxed by OSX.

Steps to reproduce:

1. On High Sierra and InDesign CC, add a Hunspell dictionary, as detailed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add_cs_dictionaries.html

2. Spell-check any InDesign document using the new dictionary and spell-checking then becomes unusable, until InDesign is uninstalled then re-installed.

The following types of errors are produced in the console, showing that it's a code-signing issue, caused by dictionaries being installed within the Hunspell plugin bundle.

Can I suggest that there should be another place to install additional languages, outside the InDesign application.

The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Anchored Object Lock/Prevent Manual Position Override

The Prevent Manual Positioning creates a Locked Object, but unlocking the widget doesn't remove the Prevent manual override.

When you check to "Prevent Manual Override" an anchored object receives a lock adornment. An object Style can be created from this object. If that lock is unlocked the Object style shows as override, but the "Prevent Manual Override" is still checked.

If the object style is redefined. The lock adornment is still unlocked, and the "Prevent Manual Positioning" is still checked. Reapplying the style locks the object.

There should be more consistent behaviour of "Prevent Manual Positioning" and the "Lock". Even…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. InDesign .indd Files Opening in After Effects

1 - InDesign CC version 14.0.2
    2 - Double click a .indd file in bridge
    3 - Opens in InDesign
    4 - Opens in After Effects

I've reinstalled InDesign and reset the default program in windows. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base