Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Restore video from URL media option

For some unexplained reason the Video from URL option has been removed from InDesign 2020. This needs to be restored ASAP as there are people using this feature.

Moveover, it needs a minor improvement to allow HTTPS links (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37474690-place-a-video-from-a-url-with-https).

It was a big mistake to not query the community before removing this and it should be a simple thing to restore.

270 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

107 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add the Ability to turn off hover scrolling

Hover Scrolling lets you interact with the dropdown menus without ever having to click on them. Sounds cool, right?

Normally, this is not a problem, because you can easily see what has been changed because you've got an object selected. But when working with conditional text, the conditional text indicator visibility is a GLOBAL setting, and thus, hover scrolling over it can change your document, even with nothing selected. And if you're not on a page with conditional text. you'd never even know that your document got changed, until you send it to print!

This has been plaguing me for…

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Serious problem of "^" for GREP search

Enter only "^" in the GREP search string field and click the search button to select the insertion point at the beginning of the paragraph. But this cannot be used for replacement. The replacement result is 0.
    I gave up that it was only useful for simple pointing tricks, but when I run it from a script the application hangs.

It is like this. (When executed, the rainbow cursor will rotate forever.
    Please be careful. )

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "^";
    var res = app.activeDocument.findGrep ();

If the replacement string field is "~ c" (the contents of the clipboard), the first character…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height" causes InDesign 2020 to freeze

Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height", text aligned to baseline and anchored object settings "anchored position: custom", "anchorPoint: bottom left/center/right" causes InDesign 2020 (15.0.1) to freeze (on Mac and PC).

1. create an new document (size doesn't matter)

2. create an new textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

3. create a second textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

4. insert some text in second generated textframe

5. select the text and apply the option "align to baseline".

6. anchor second textframe into the first created textframe

7. set anchored object settings of the anchored textframe to: "anchored position: custom" and "anchorPoint: bottom left or bottom center or bottom right"

8. select the anchored…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Variable Font not working in InDesign 2020

We came along a severe bug within InDesign 2020 and Variable Font.

These Blog Posts are describing it quite well:

https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fonts-indesign-2020-bug/13051

and:
    https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fontz-in-indesign/13032

Illustrator and Photoshop do not have this bug.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. png transparent background showing black

Importing this icon and the transparent background is showing as black in current inDesign CC. Didn't have issues with similar icons from same site.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Placed graphic displays and exports outside stroke.

A placed graphic will show onscreen and in graphic exports like PNG and JPG outside the stroke when the stroke is aligned to the inside of the frame. InDesign 2020 and earlier. To reproduce: place a graphic, add a stroke to the frame, align stroke to inside, export the page to jpg or png. A thin portion of the image is visible outside the stroke. Obviously, this is most noticeable when the stroke is thick and white.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Data Merge function "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" deletes the wrong paragraph

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server

Adobe InDesign 15.0.1

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 27 Zoll End 2012

Steps to reproduce the issues

See also attached video

Open Document "02VKLeerzeilenTEMPEnde.indd"
    Open Data-Merge Panel
    Generate a merged document with click on the button
    Uncheck "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" in Content Placement Options
    Press [OK]
    Repeat Step 3 this time Check "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" in Content Placement Options
    Press [OK]
    Put the documents side by side
    Activate "Show Style override" in the paragraph panel
    Jump to page 2
    On the left…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.

2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.

3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the app gains keyboard…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Can't share from Adobe Comp CC on the iPad (which is the whole reason I signed up for a trial)

Sharing to InDesign causes Comp CC to Crash! The whole reason I signed up for the InDesign trial is to see how it works with Comp. Please fix or extend my trial until this has ben handled!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make bulleted lists act correctly when it's moved by text wrap

The bullets on the image attached have a left indent of 3 mm and a first line left indent -3 mm, but have incorrect layout, because the adjacent text box has text wrap applied, which displaces the text with bullets.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Type tool still deselects itself InDD 15.0.1

The bug has been already reported, it's been claimed to be fixed in 14.0.1, but actually still persists and never was corrected.

Typing "T" just selects the type tool very briefly, then changes back to the previous tool. Clicking inside a text frame has the same result, even if you get to select some part of the text, it just changes back tot he previous tool in most of the cases. The only way to get it work, is to select the tool in the sidebar, however even there it takes several seconds to become active.

Using InDD 15.0.1 on…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Drag-Duplicating using Alt/Opt key does not work if key is pressed after dragging

InDesign 2020 OPTION Duplicate is now broken, just like Photoshop has always been.

Don't make me commit to the duplicate before moving an item.

Sometimes I'll move a box, then realize I intended to duplicate it, so then I'll press OPTION... now I have to commit to it FIRST.

Fix this and stop breaking things!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we’re still working to make the fix available for this issue, we suggest a workaround to overcome it.

Open Preferences > Interface. At the bottom of this dialog, change “Live Screen Drawing” to “Never”.

As mentioned above, we’re working to fix this issue.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

16. CC2020: Alternate text for hyperlinks

In CC2020 a new function for writing alternate text for links was introduced.
    Using this function and generating a PDF Leeds to wrong PDF notation. The alt text in PDF is presented by alt text, which is forbidden in the PDF world, where alt text only should be used for non text elements, e.g. pictures. By presenting only the alt text the accessibility is lost – this is against the goal to hav a better output!
    A correct output would lead to a content entry.

Note: Alt text for links is under discussion, as such alt text is not present…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Objects on the page jump if a left-hand page becomes a right-hand page and vice versa

Hi developers,
    this is a longstanding bug:

With facing pages documents on EVERY document page there is a zone where jumping of objects will happen.

I call this the jump zone. All objects on a page that will jump are clearly inside the page's area. The bug has nothing to do with rounding errors where object edges are at the edge of a page.

The objects should not move if pages are added or removed, if numbering of pages is changing. Nevertheless they do. Always. Unless, the zone has a width of zero.

Below all the details.

What is a…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Live Preflight reporting a false error with OpenType Type 1 fonts

InDesign's Live Preflight will wrongly flag an OpenType Type 1 (PostScript flavored) font as invalid when the font appears in a linked graphic.

To recreate:
    1. Create an InDesign Preflight Profile
    2. Set it to flag Type 1 fonts as Font Type Not allowed.
    3. Create a new InDesign document.
    4. Add text using an OpenType Type 1 font.
    5. Turn on the preflight.
    The preflight will not signal an error. This is expected and correct.
    6. Now export a PDF of the document created.
    7. Create a new InDesign document.
    8. Place the PDF as a linked graphic into…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. ID 2020 - Indent in combination with wrap text around an image not working

In Indesign 2020, whenever I want to wrap text next to an image, but the text also has an indent the text jumps from the supposed position.
    In Indesign 2019 this did not happen. The text was wrapped nicely next to the image, the way you should expect.

My guess what happens here, is that the indent specs are applied not the the edge of the frame, but to the edge of the text. Which corrupts the spacing between the image and the text.

I'm working with the latest 2020 version on iMac with Catalina

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base