Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Anchored frame looses the XML tag information as soon as anchor is released/anchor point is moved forward.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create an anchored text/graphic frame with some inline text/image. Tag the frame with some XML Tag (say 'tag1').

2. Now release the anchor.

Expected output
    - On releasing the anchor, there should be no changes in the XML tag on frame.

Actual output
    - On releasing the anchor, the frame gets untagged.

Additional note: Similar thing happens when anchor is moved forward to another position in inline text. In this case also, frames gets untagged

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. grey box under workspace tab

I have a grey dialog box that appears under the workspace selection tab, and Im not sure how to make it go away. There is now dialogue in the box ever. Thanks everyone!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Weight remains on text when exported to pdf even if changed to zero.

I am using InDesign CC 2019 14.01 x64.

Once a stroke weight has been added, if you then change the stroke weight back to zero, then when you export to pdf the pdf will have a stroke weight added to the text, even though the indesign document looks correct. It may not have the original amount of weight that was added, but it will definitely have what looks to be around a .2 weight added.

However, if you were to start a new document, then add stroke weight, then click edit - undo stroke weight, then it would export to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Conditional text is not applied correctly after line break in IDMLs

If Unconditional text follows a line break where another Paragraph Style is applied with Conditional text, making an IDML out of the document will change the Unconditional text to Conditional.

Please see example screenshots.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign Fonts folder no longer respects symlinks (2019, Mac)

The Fonts folder in the InDesign 2019 application folder no longer follows symlinks, as previous versions did.

I prefer to keep my InDesign fonts separate from my system fonts, and in previous versions placed a symlink to my font folder in the InDesign application folder, titled "Fonts." InDesign would follow that link, and I would have access to all of my fonts within InDesign, without needing to install them user- or system-wide.

In InDesign 2019, no symlinks are followed - not on the top level, and not inside the folder either. (Tested by symlinking one font or one folder inside…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. InDesign crashes on Hyperlink panel open

Latest version of InDesign 2018.

Process video:
    https://cl.ly/0y1V3z190L0O

I'm trying to add hyperlink to a text but it leads to a program crash. This happens only for 3 close lines of text in a one single file. The file has been sent to mr. Sushil's email.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Links panel sorting

InDesign CC 2018, 13.1 (mac os 10.13.4)

panels: links: panel options: show column: Scale.

Bug:
    The sorting function for "Scale" in links panel doesn't work properly.
    If I sort by scaling percentages, they list incorrectly.

Example: 187 % comes between 21 % and 15 %.
    That means it sorts them alphabetically as digits, but should sort them as numbers. Please fix.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Object Style Options: XY Offset < 1440

MacOS High Sierra
    InDesignCC 2018 13.1

When setting up Object Style Options > Size and position options > Position > Adjust X OR Y,
    it’s impossible to manually enter any value bigger than 1440 px (pt), regardless of page size.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We have seen this issue being reported by some users ever since Paragraph Shading as a feature was introduced in InDesign.
    I have marked this issue as “Under Review” for consideration by the InDesign team.

-Aman

11. Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    1. Create a new document.
    2. Select File > Place, check Show Import Options, select attached Columns_26.xlsx file.
    3. Note nonstandard default Cell Range: A1:A@10 (should be A1:Z10).
    4. Enter custom (valid) Cell Range "A1:E5"

Expected result:
    No error and a table containing cells A1 through E5.

Actual result:
    Error message, "You have not entered a valid 'Cell Range'. (See attached screenshot.)

This error is given for any sheet whose right-most column is a multiple of 26 (so Z, AZ, BZ, etc.). Place the attached…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bug with search and replace on locked layers

Hi all,
    it seems I’ve found an InDesign bug that is creating some problem on a project for a customer.
    I have a document with a table nested inside another table, the layer is locked but I’m able to find the text inside the nested table even if the “search on locked layer” is inactive.
    I can also apply another paragraph style to the text inside the nested table (with the layer locked) and this is causing some problem because I need to change the styles of the text of unlocked layers with a script.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Extendscript hangs CC2019 (14.0.2) on macOS

Code below works fine on Windows and CC 2018 on Mac. But CC 2019 Mac it hangs the app once clicking the OK button in window 2. I've tried three different Macs including Mojave and High Sierra. All the same result. Pretty sure it's not just me. This bug has broken a number of my scripts that present a secondary window for saving settings.

var w1 = new Window("dialog", "Window 1");
    var btnOpenWindow2 = w1.add("button", undefined, "Open Window 2");
    var btnOk1 = w1.add("button", undefined, "OK");
    btnOpenWindow2.onClick = function () {
    openWindow2();
    };
    btnOk1 = function () {
    w1.close();
    };
    w1.show(); …

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place

When placing an Arabic weight statement (e.g. "13g") followed by a tab and a percentage (e.g. "19%"), the weight declaration ("g" or "mg") moves to the percentage when exporting to pdf. Only when setting PDFX/1a:2001 is selected the output is correct. But this setting removes all layers and flattens transparencies so it's not very useful.
    A workaround is to place a space after the tab (so on the left side since this is a right to left language).
    See screen shot in attachment. On top = InDesign file, bottom = pdf created from this file using PDFX/4. The top line…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly every time I launch Indesign CC 14.0.1

I am using Indesign CC14.0.1 on a MAC - OS Mojave V 10.14.1
    Whenever I launch Indesign I get a crash pop up saying AIGPU Sniffer has quit unexpectedly.
    Indesign is fine to work in however I am fed up with this AIGPU issue coming up all the time and don't know if it is effecting anything else?
    I've had loads of issues with the latest CC - really not impressed Adobe! Any suggestions on how to stop this happening?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Mac OS Mojave 'Dark Mode' and CC Apps

Load/Save dialogues and title bar don't honour 'dark mode' in the latest Mac OS

• Open/Save dialogues (Illustrator/Photoshop/Indesign/AcobatDC)
    • Title bar (Illustrator/Indesign/AcobatDC)

Haven't tried any other apps yet...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Data Merge to PDF (using the new single page export feature) does not work properly

Using the packaged folder attached, go to the Data Merge panel and select Export to PDF. Click OK on the first dialog box and in the second dialog box, make sure the "Create Separate PDF files" checkbox is checked.
    Expected result - 6 PDFs that have correct content in each PDF.
    Actual result - 6 PDFs that have incorrect content. PDF 1 is fine, but PDFs 2-6 are the same content as PDF 2.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. arabic

Cursor Direction when typing Arabic or other RTL languages. in Middle Eastern version ONLY.

1. All Middle Eastern versions (English يدعم العربية)

2. Type Arabic text. Place the cursor within text. Hold "Shift" key and click on right arrow key on the keyboard to select/highlight text. Cursor moves left and select next character on the left while clicking on right arrow.

3. To select a character to the left of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+left arrow) To select a character to the right of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+right arrow)

4. What actually is happening now and for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Hunspell dictionaries cannot be added in Sierra or High Sierra

Adding Hunspell dictionaries breaks code-signing, and results in the whole of InDesign's spelling system being sand-boxed by OSX.

Steps to reproduce:

1. On High Sierra and InDesign CC, add a Hunspell dictionary, as detailed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add_cs_dictionaries.html

2. Spell-check any InDesign document using the new dictionary and spell-checking then becomes unusable, until InDesign is uninstalled then re-installed.

The following types of errors are produced in the console, showing that it's a code-signing issue, caused by dictionaries being installed within the Hunspell plugin bundle.

Can I suggest that there should be another place to install additional languages, outside the InDesign application.

The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base