Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6475 results found

1. text variable "Year>Modification Date" prematurely outputting "2020" (in 2019)

I just updated to InDesign 2020 on 12-27-2019 and today (12-30-19) was updating some ID documents that have a text variable in the master pages (defined as Year > Modification Date), which suddenly (a few days premature!) is now showing up as 2020, even though we're still in 2019! I thought that changing it to Year > Output Date (which changes the field to show the correct 2019) was a temporary solution, but then my new PDFs output with the date field changed to 2020! ANY document I generate a new PDF from now automatically changes the date field to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Table Headers Disappear after copy/paste

Yes, I know this is an old topic that has supposedly been fixed... but...not fixed after yesterday's update, 15.0.1 x64.

I can add a space in the header to force it into overset and the header comes back, just have to live with dozens of overset errors.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Can't able to delete swatches

I am using the Indesign CC 2015. My template document contains multiple swatches. I can't able to delete some of the swatches(PANTONE 7731 C, PANTONE 646 C,..). Even the delete option is also not shown for that swatches. Please check and provide the guidelines to handle this case.

Thanks,
    Dillibabu

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. EPUB; Exporting a numbered list to a reflowable pub

When working with "numbered list: in Indesign, paragraph style work great.

However after working and exporting it to a reflowable Epub it doesnt respect alignment and moves inward. I have looked up for anyone who has encountered the same problem making sure I wasn't the only one and yup there are others with the same issue.

I would like not to, for every numbered list in every book, to convert numbering to text. This is something I have seen as an issue since someone commenting since 2014 and not receiving any solution.

I need to know if there is some…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Can't open dropdown menu's

1. Indesign 15.01
    2. Click on top menu item
    3. Dropdown menu is opened
    4. Mouse is constantly showing loading symbol and Dropdown menu doesn't open even after a few seconds
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign Documentation

I found out through Adobe support that page transitions in an interactive PDF created using InDesign only work in full screen mode. If this is true, your documentation should state this.

I also found out that the SWF function has been removed for InDesign 2020. Please update your documentation to let users know that this is no longer available in 2020, but is still available in 2019.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. FERRAMENTAS

Minhas ferramentas estão todas bloqueadas e não consigo utilizar mais o Indesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. não consigo caracter especial

não consigo inserir número de paginas como caracter especial. Faço o procedimento correto mas no final ele não insere o caracter.
    só fica o prompt piscando dentro da caixa de texto.
    E não sei porque a minha master page está cinza quando eu seleciono ela em vez de estar azul!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. invalid index reference

Can´t create Index!
    Error message is (Translations): Can´t create index. At Least one reference contains faulty markers. Delete faulty markers from index references.

HOW DO I FIND THESE? Can´t find anything wrong in the Index list or the document.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Right swiping a hyperlink and then right clicking produces inconsistent context menu

Hi there,

If I have a hyperlink as plain text and then highlight it, then right-click the area, I sometimes get an option to turn it into a hyperlink and other times I get the spell checker menu with not such option.

It would be good if the option to turn text into a hyperlink was always visible when you right-clicked highlighted text. I have dynamic spell checking turned on.

Kind regards
    Mike H

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign 2020 freezes when placing articles with endnotes (big file)

Working with a approximately 500 paged book, 30 articles with endnotes.

Now with 20 articles / 300 pages done, InDesign 2020 freezes when placing new articles.

Please, please, please: fix the issue with a possibility to keep all endnotes in a separate ID-file (linking endnotes to other ID-files)! Because of this, now forced to have the whole, massive book in one ID-file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Working with files from a very fast server,

We are having issues with using files on server with someone who has a file open in indd and while watching their own computer screen see someone else actually changing text in the file on their computer. How is this possible, we never had this problem before until 2 weeks ago. I thought that when the first person opens a file and the ldbk file is created, only the first person has full access. Everyone else would then have read only access?? Help? By the way we have been using this method for 14 years without issues until now>>

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Symbol Font Character Set Alt Codes not working

Symbol Font Character Set Alt Codes not working.
    Some Alt Codes Short Cuts not working in Indesign, but the same font is working fine in Pagemaker, Adobe CC Acrobat DC Pro, Coreldraw, Microsoft Word, and all other applications, but not working Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro as well as Indesign CC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Symbol Font Character Set Alt Codes not working

Some Alt Codes Short Cuts not working in Indesign, but same font is working fine in Pagemaker, Adobe CC Acrobat DC Pro, Coreldraw, Microsoft Word and all Other applications, but not working Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro as well as Indesign CC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Symbol Font Character Set Alt Codes not working

Some Alt Codes Short Cuts not working in Indesign, but same font is working fine in Pagemaker, Adobe CC Acrobat DC Pro, Coreldraw, Microsoft Word and all Other applications, but not working Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro as well as Indesign CC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign 15.0.1 Find/Change dialog does not show on OSX Catalina 10.15.2

InDesign 15.0.1 Find/Change dialog does not respond to either keyboard prompt nor to pulldown menu choice. Was working fine all morning. Just stopped. Strange?? Any cure??

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Proportion lock is ignored when scaling.

I've placed a bitmap on my page. When scaling it with the scaling tool and the proportion lock engaged, proportions aren't maintained.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Scaling with the Scale Tool scales the objects without taking into consideration the Constraint Lock icon, it works independently of the state of this icon. Only when you use the W & H fields, the Constraint icon is used.
    So, it is not a bug. You can also see this work similarly in Adobe Illustrator too.

Adobe InDesign team

18. Bounding box is always on the outside of the stroke

Ever since I updated to the latest InDesign (InDesign 15.0.1), the bounding box is always on the outside of the stroke so instead of objects snapping to the box they are snapping to the outside of the stroke.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Can't change bounding box size when stroke is applied

InDesign 15.0.1

When I create a rectangle with fancy corners, when I change the stroke to the outside it won't let me adjust the size of the box. If I grab the side and drag it to where I want it snaps into place smaller. If I go up to the tool bar at the top & try to change it that way regardless of whether I try to change it bigger or smaller it just makes it smaller & it doesn't just go 1px at a time it changes 6px+ & if I try to just do vertical it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 12/05/19 Updates in Indesign

Update on 12/05/19 caused stability issues in Indesign. Since this update, my indesign has been crashing, unresponsive, and about as bad as AI. This program is my workhorse and I need it to function. Documents take about 5-10 minutes to open, even longer to save, and scrolling in multi-page documents is tough because it lags so hard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base