Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. InDesign 14.0.2 constant spinning beachball - especially on text related commands

Working in InDesign 14.0.2 on High Sierra, (single computer home network) the programme is exceptionally slow - taking about 10 seconds (of beachballing) to select a line of copy. Clicking between objects takes 5-10 seconds also. This is happening on my Mac Book Pro and iMac, both running High Sierra - all other programmes are working normally. I have tried trashing my preferences and uninstalling etc, but nothing has improved the lagging issue. I have had to revert to the 2018 version to get my work done.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InDesign to InCopy Layout Malfunction

My company's graphics department develops scientific posters, and as a writer, I often have to make small adjustments to the text and am only given access to edit through InCopy (using version 14.0.2). This problem does not happen with every poster, but I often find that the whole frame of the poster is shifted when I open the assignments file in InCopy (please see example photos). I'm able to make my edits, but I can't export to a PDF without having the bleed, header, etc. shifted as I see it in InCopy. Our graphics department thinks this is a bug…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Can't scroll Pages Window when Export dialogue box is up

Can't scroll Pages Window when Export dialogue box is up

When exporting certain pages from a large document it was handy being able to scroll through the pages window while the export dialogue was open. This was possible on pre CC indesign copies.
    Issue apparent using OSX Mojave 10.14.5 and Indesign CC 14.0.2

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add attributes of currently selected text or object to the "Find/Replace" dialog

Here's an idea. It would be cool if the attributes of whatever you currently have selected, be it text or an object, could be quickly added to the Find/Replace dialog as your "search" terms. That way you don't have to go through and find all the attributes you want to search for, you could just select something that already has those attributes applied and then search. For instance, if you selected text that was bold italic, red, and 12 pt of a certain font and paragraph style, then those attributes could be loaded in the search box instead of having…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Resized vectors not displaying properly in high quality display mode on drag

14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10

Steps:
    1. High Quality display mode (default settings)
    2. Place any EPS vector file.
    3. Attempt to resize it while holding ctrl-shift to maintain ratios.

Expected result:
    The vector file, resized.

Actual result:
    Grey box. I have to zoom in or out to get the screen to "refresh" and show the correct image.

Similar issue happens with placed AI file. Very simple, clearly. Just a triangle. Made in the latest version of Illustrator.

The Youtube button is an EPS.

Related: If I use the option "Greek Vector Graphics on Drag" it performs correctly, only now…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versios

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versions

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change

I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change. Say I need to add one letter, after doing so the ball has to spin 10 times until i can do anything else. This is extremely time consuming and is wasting my time when I have to wait 2 minutes after any tiny change before I can make another. I have seen others posting issues about this over a year ago. All fixes people have suggested do nothing for me. Please help.
    In reading that it could be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Text Alignment Issues on PDF

Mac OS (Mojave version 10.14.6) 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, Radeon Pro Vega 16 4 GB Intell UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

InDesing CC totally up to date, uninstalled and cleaned multiple times.

When I export a PDF, both with my own settings and the default High Quality Print the text will randomly not be aligned, for example I exported the attached page 5 times with the exact same setting and sometimes it was fine but a few it was messed up. No noticeable pattern, happens when exporting Print PDF and Interactive.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Find/Change bug in Indesign 13.1.1

Text Find/Change seems to have a bug: let's suppose we have 2 paragraph styles, for example a title style and a body text style. In the document I received from our partner sometimes the body paragraphs wear the title style and they were manually overridden to look like the body style. To fix this error I tried to search for texts that has the title style but the font used is that of the body style. Indesign Finds something at the beginning of the body paragraph (a thin cursor-like thing can be seen there: it is the selected something) that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I use Indesign 14.0.1 English (hebrew supported). The change character direction is missing

I need the feature that was previously available: to adjust / change character direction. For example changing the direction of a hyphen from left to right to the oppoisite (right to left). It was availbe up till now. Where did it go?
    In addition, the special ME characters are absent.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Accessible PDF Alternative Text Fail When Object Set to Multiply

InDesign 14.0.2

When an object is set to "multiply" in Effects and exported to Interactive PDF, there is a Alternative Text fail reported when running Accessibility Full Check. When the "multiply" effect is removed, there is a clean report. Please fix.

Attached are both the original file (with multiply on) and the PDF generated. If you remove multiply, it works.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Empty merge fields introduce characters that cannot be found

When you perform a data merge and create a new merged document InDesign adds hidden characters where the empty data field would be. These characters cannot be found using a standard search. I have not tried GREP.

In my case I was working on business cards. Some records have no mobile number so there is a blank line in the merged document, apart from the M prefix that would normally indicate a mobile number. I wanted to remove all those lines so I selected one, from the M at the beginning to the paragraph break at the end. I pasted…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. InDesign CC exporting idml's with errors not found in the indd file

When packaging InDesign CC 14.0.2 .indd files, the resulting idml file has content frames jumping around. The resulting packaged indd file looks fine, but in the idml content frames have moved resulting in images being cut off and text boxes shift cutting off text.

Process is simply packaging a working indd file with no particularly special settings. Package with indd, idml and pdf. This doesn't happen in every file, maybe 1 in 100.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Create outlines in a document with conditional text crashes

I have four InDesign templates created, two use conditional text while the other two do not. I have no problem creating outlines of the document without the conditional text. Every time I try to create outlines of a page in a document with conditional text, I get the endless spinning wheel and have to force quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Switch primary text frame's Text Frame Options for multiple pages

Switch primary text frame's Text Frame Options for multiple pages. See this item on forum: https://forums.adobe.com/message/11180092#11180092. Using 14.0.2 x64. You can't use applying a new Master Page to switch Balance Columns off and on on a Primary Text Frame, though you can use it to change number of columns. Thank you for your attention to this likely bug.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. TIFF images as assets in CC Libraries are always placed as PNG images on the document page

1. Affected: InDesign CC all versions that are working with CC Libraries.
      Tested with InDesign CC 2018.1 and InDesign CC 2019 version 14.0.2.324 on Windows 10. InDesign versions on Mac OS X are also reported.

2. Steps to reproduce the issue:
      Do a new CC Library.
      Add TIFF images saved from PhotoShop CC 2019 to the new library.
      Two options how you can do this that I know of:
      A. Drag the files from your file system to the open and empty library.
      B. Use Adobe Bridge CC 2019 to drag files to the open library.

3. Expected result:
      If I want to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Indd file size optimization

The filesize of the .indd file increases with every new linked image and is not reset after deleting old images from the workspace.
    If you use the save as function and overwrite the file, the size of the .indd file is much smaller (like 190 MB before and 12 MB after).

InDesign should clean up the file with every normal saving process !

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Using glyphs in a text variable

I've defined a text variable that I use for a running header. This variable is defined from the first use of a "chapter title" paragraph style that I've also defined. I've inserted this variable on my A-master page, which is synced between documents in my book. The problem I'm running into is that I've used a number of glyphs in the text comprising the first use of that style, and the text variable (my running header) looks garbled: it's missing letters and has mixed caps. If it matters, the font I'm using is Orpheus Pro Bold.

Attached are two screenshots:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. table formatting

Menu for formatting Table 'alternate row' shading, doesn't make sense — it gives options for 'Every other row' and 'Every second row'. To me those are redundant.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Creating a catalogue with a large table FREEZING in indesign CC 2019

We've been making a large catalogue pricelist for over 13 years using indesign.

We're now stuck on the 2017 (12.1.0) version.
    We want to update it, but in the latest version, importing our pricelist from excel into a table, slows the whole thing down to an unworkable speed.

info:
    the table is around 13000 rows by 10 columns. so not small.
    it does import in the 2017 version. slow to import in both, but can use and work on after import in 2017 version.
    2019, freezes when scroll used, and take 1-3 mins to unfreeze. Scroll again or do anything…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

FIXED  ·  3 comments  ·  Crash/Freeze/Hang  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base