Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 2020 won't overwrite PDF

Since updating to Indesign 2020 I can't overwrite pdf files from the export menu it says 'file is still open' when it's not. Yet another thing broken on the yearly beta test.

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

42 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01
    After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been able to identify one scenario in which the cache folder is not accessible while InDesign is launched, resulting in the issue. The issue seems to be specific to MAC OS.

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still encounter the issue again, try to access the location “/Users//Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version/14.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/*” and create a file in the directory.

Workaround – Quit & relaunch the application, Cache folder gets created and the problem is resolved.

-InDesign Team

3. Add the Ability to turn off hover scrolling

Hover Scrolling lets you interact with the dropdown menus without ever having to click on them. Sounds cool, right?

Normally, this is not a problem, because you can easily see what has been changed because you've got an object selected. But when working with conditional text, the conditional text indicator visibility is a GLOBAL setting, and thus, hover scrolling over it can change your document, even with nothing selected. And if you're not on a page with conditional text. you'd never even know that your document got changed, until you send it to print!

This has been plaguing me for…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Indesign performance issue : CC 2019 uses all the system memory on Mojave

So basically i cant't use InDesign since updating to the new version. Even if it's idle without anything open, it starts to use up all the system memory in macOs Mojave.

This is what happens:
    1. Open InDesign
    2. Doesn't matter if im working or it's just open
    3. After about 5 minutes, there's a system alert of Mojave saying, InDesign is using 550 GB of system memory and there's nothing left to work with.

System:
    iMac Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14)
    3 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 cores)
    64 GB RAM
    Radeon Pro Vega 64

It's a new iMac with…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Incorrect re-linking of image files with rotation metadata

This bug occurs in all versions of InDesign.

InDesign reflects the EXIF orientation in the transform panel when an image file is placed. However, under the following conditions, the result of relinking will be incorrect.

* The image file is rotated 90 degrees with EXIF orientation.
    * In the transform panel, the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different.

Image files taken with an iPhone often retain the EXIF orientation rotation. If such a file is placed in indd by the client and the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different, there will be a problem that will cause drastic…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Screenflickering - Screen turns black when moving objects.

When i drag and drop a Textframe my Screen flickers black for a second - almost every damn time. This happens for me and most of my colleagues and it is horrible to work with.

I feel like it got worse after installing the latest "Tablehead" fix that fixed the disapearing tableheads.

Build 12.1.0.56
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5", 2015)
    3,3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

2nd Monior is a DELL U2414H, 23,5" at 1800p

This is happening on quite a lot of machines in…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Indesign performance issue : Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. [macOS] soft return converted to hard return in InDesign Tagged Text

Affected version:
    14.0.3 [macOS]

Steps to reproduce:
    In a New document, make a new text container.
    Enter this sample text:
    “line1 \n line2 \r line3 \n line4”
    where \n = shift+return
    and \r = return
    “line1{{shift+return}}line2{{return}}line3{{shift+return}}line4”
    Set space before or space after to 0.125”
    Export as Adobe InDesign Tagged Text, Unicode format.
    Import result using File > Place

Expected result
    Soft returns and hard returns

Actual result
    Hard returns only (soft returns converted)

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.
    2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.
    3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. stuck on type tool

I'm stuck on the Type tool. It won't let me select or change my tools at all. I've had to shut down and restart three times now. Whenever I get into the type tool, it stays and I can't get out or click anywhere else. Keyboard shortcuts do not work

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Tab indent of RTL Numbered List does not line up

See two screenshots attached, both are using the exact same settings, (Default, just changed to Hebrew numbering)
    in InDesign 2019 (14.0.3) Everything is nicely aligned, vs in InDesign 2020 (15.0) it's jagged, and I'm not able to align it in any way (Tabs, Indenting, etc.).
    I'm using InDesign 2020 תומך עיברית, on Windows 10

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make bulleted lists act correctly when it's moved by text wrap

The bullets on the image attached have a left indent of 3 mm and a first line left indent -3 mm, but have incorrect layout, because the adjacent text box has text wrap applied, which displaces the text with bullets.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. InDesign performance issue: Hangs when exporting to PDF

1. Latest Indesign CC, Windows 10
    2. ID would sometimes not finish the export to PDF task and hangs for minutes. It must then be killed in the task manager. During this it constantly consumes a big lot of RAM and CPU power. See attachment.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. png transparent background showing black

Importing this icon and the transparent background is showing as black in current inDesign CC. Didn't have issues with similar icons from same site.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Multiple listings of same font in Find Font menu

There are multiple listings of the same font in the Find Font menu in CC2019. All information is the same, all applied characters are the same, but there is odd behavior.

--FileA_CC2019_WithDocumentsfontsfolder.png shows double listing of Trade Gothic LT Pro Roman.

--FileA_CC2019_WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (when I take away access to Document fonts folder, no other changes), one instance switches to "Regular" instead of "Roman"

--FileA_CC2017_WithDocumentfontsfolder.png shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

--FileA_CC2017_WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (Document fonts folder hidden) shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

I process large volumes of files;…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Weight remains on text when exported to pdf even if changed to zero.

I am using InDesign CC 2019 14.01 x64.

Once a stroke weight has been added, if you then change the stroke weight back to zero, then when you export to pdf the pdf will have a stroke weight added to the text, even though the indesign document looks correct. It may not have the original amount of weight that was added, but it will definitely have what looks to be around a .2 weight added.

However, if you were to start a new document, then add stroke weight, then click edit - undo stroke weight, then it would export to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. InDesign performance issue: Slow on documents present on server

it's not an idea, but a problem. Indesign creates problems on the network and is very slow with server documents, as never before. The media told me to work locally, but I ask Adobe to solve the problem. Windows 10 64 bit - Intel processor 32 GB of ram.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base