Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

867 results found

1. Macintosh InDesign V14.0.2. Freezes everytime I open it. Mojave operating system.

I can't use InDesign as it freezes everytime I open it. I have a brand new Mac Mini with Mojave. I have removed 14.0.2 and am loading an older version that actually worked - 13.1. Please let me know when 14.0.2 is working.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InCopy becomes very slow when a cross-linked document is closed

InCopy 14.4, MacOS Mojave 10.14.4
    I work on an InCopy document that was assigned to me from InDesign. I want to create a cross reference to another document. Hereto I open that document, check out the content, switch back to my working document and create the references.
    After this I close the referred document and this freezes InCopy. What I see is that the CC-synchronization starts to blink constantly in my top bar. Every mouse click or cursor movement takes appr. 45 seconds to take effect.
    This is unworkable.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Updating to Mac OSX Mojave, Indesign now behaving slow and shortcut make new document does not work anymore

Drawing a box, moving it around etc is now a kind of laggy. Moves but slow and kind of stuttering.

The GUI overall, menus etc, behaves a bit slower as well. Not much but not as quick and responsive at it was in Sierra.

Have tried de-activating GPU but that has no difference at all.

I have the latest version, 14.0.2.
    Updated to Mojave because the Adobe chat support suggested that would help out some other issues I have had.
    One reason was that command + new shortcut stopped working. And now it stopped working again...

Same thing happens in…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Text selection selects whole document AND cursor jumps to top of document after saving

InCopy 14.0. MacOs Mojave 10.14.4
    I work in a icml-document which was assigned to me from InDesign. It contains references to other documents and a lot of comments (for the designer).
    After I have made the third or later comment, it becomes impossible to select text. InCopy selects the text from the top of the document upto the point where I click the mouse. When I try Option+Shift+Arrow, the cursor jumps to the top of the document. I can save the document, after which the issue is away until I have made a few extra comments, but which also puts…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign opens two files when only one selected.

When I open a file, InDesign will open another file at the same time, one that I didn't select. Not a horrible inconvenience, but why is this happening?

InDesign CC 14.0.1 x 64

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Unusable actual InDesign CC 2019

Actually InDesign is not production ready. Every few seconds the beach ball spins. I found a workaround which is … well ok but not satisfying: As long as I work in the idml-file it works but as soon as I'm opening an indd file the program slows down extremely.

That can't be the solution! Why don't you see that?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Command-Tab doesn't switch to Indesign document

I use Command-Tab constantly on MacOS to switch between Indesign and other open apps on my system. In ID2019, when I use the shortcut to switch back to ID from another app, it no longer consistently brings the frontmost open ID document into focus. Instead what happens is the palettes will come in to view but the frontmost window of the app I'm switching from is still on top of the open ID file. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's very annoying. I am most often switching between ID and Acrobat Pro or Google Chrome…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign performance issue: Lags when selecting and moving items using wacom tablet

On a iMac with 32 GB RAM running under macOS 10.14.4 (18E226) InDesign v.14.0.2.324 with Wacom Intuos Pro tablet (6.3.24-1) in some documents cursor / items handling is unresponsive, lagging or too sensitive (click is registered when there was no click, dragging happens yet it wasn't been ignited).

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. GREP failure

InDesign 2019 14.0.2 has created a new bug with GREP. If you search for any character, InDesign jumps half way through the file.
    So, for example, if you click the cursor at the start of the document, instead of GREP finding the very first character that you search for, it instead jumps towards the end of the document.
    So, for example, if you do a search for the letter 'a' in GREP, it will miss most of the document out and find the first one towards the end of the document.
    To confirm this, if you do a search and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

11. Properties Panel snaps closed inconveniently

I must admit, I was not a huge fan of the new properties panel, as I found having the properties at the top of my workspace quick, convenient and more easily accessible. In working with typography I've encountered a few issues with the latest release of CC (working on iMac High Sierra):

1. If I try to open the character panel, there is a lag time with the dreaded rainbow spinning wheel that either takes way to long to load and sometimes crashes the program.

So, to get around that, I've adopted using the properties panel for type changes, which opens…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Alt key modifier keeps toolbar active after use when zooming in using scroll wheel

Not sure when this started happening, I only know that it's started irritating the heck out of me quite recently. I'm on Win 10 using InDesign 14.0.2

Whenever I alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, InDesign switches focus to the toolbar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu.

It becomes an issue when for example zooming into an active text box, if you need to type F, E, L, T, O, A, V, W, or H, after using alt+scroll you end up bringing up the View menu as soon as you hit the V key.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    As per our understanding the issue is as follows:
    Launch InDesign.
    1. Press alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    2. InDesign switches focus to the menu-bar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu shortcut.
    3. Type F, E, L, or T after using alt+scroll

Result:
    Menu entry is opened from the control strip (example View menu as soon as you hit the V key).

Expected:
    Key press should select the suitable tool denoted by that key

This has been the behavior since quite long and does not look like a break in behavior.
    Please can you confirm?

Thanks

13. find change

'Change' button is greyed out when attempting to find and replace text. I'm using ID 11.0.0.72 x64 build on Windows 10. This is a very old issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. For long documents containing more than 50K characters, GREP search fails to find all matching instances

Since updating to CC 14.0.2 on Windows, GREP search is no longer functioning properly. Not all instances of queries are found, or not found at all.
    I believe this is the case when working on documents created in an older version. In a newly created document it does work as it should.

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

16. Can't move anything with selection tool

Mac OS Sierra v 10.12.6 and Indesign 2019
    Since yesterday I can't work. I can use the selection tool to move things around. I only can move things using the X and Y boxes or the arrows. It is impossible to work. Who do I have to call? There is no solution anywhere, after trying so many things. I finally installed and then installed back InDesign and nothing has changed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. ALT key results in stall

Pressing the ALT key - be that for zooming out, using a fitting option, or any other shortcut, slows indesign to the point of non-performance, sometimes for 20 seconds or more. Happens primarily when I'm in a document with more pages/items. Have uninstalled all adobe programs and reinstalled, hasn't fixed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. scrubby zoom will not turn off

Scrubby/Animated zoom suddenly appeared when I opened Indesign today and I cannot not turn off. The option is no longer in the Preferences (I searched all categories). I have installed no updates recently.

version 14.0.1
    Mac OS 10.13.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. anchored text boxes move unexpectedly when resized

For some time, when you anchor a text box within a table cell or another text box and resize it, it does not appear to have a fixed point that it is resizing from so dragging from any point causes the anchored text box to jump up or move in an unexpected direction. Thus, to make a tiny tweak to the size of the anchored box requires a lot of effort (multiple nudges in various directions) to get it to where it should be instead of just one click and drag and it staying put as you resize.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. No Break slows down InDesign CC 2019

When No Break is added to multiple words, it slows down InDesign CC 2019 14.01 tremendously.
    We use No Break very often in our texts, e.g. to keep web site addresses, email addresses and allergens together as this is a requirement from our customer.
    This was never a problem in older versions but something seems to be changed in InDesign.
    I added an .idml file containing an auto-size text frame with some text (allergens). Editing the text frame in an older version of InDesign works smoothly. Doing the same thing in CC 2019 goes very slow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base