Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Printing seems to change a document

When the only thing done is printing an InDesign document, the app acts if there were any changes made: when closing, it asks wheter to save the changes.
    This is very confusing, since it makes the user think something was changed by accident. Please make InDesign close the document without the save dialog, if nothing was changed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. erratic and missing cursor in text frames

My setup: Windows 10 Pro, InDesign CC 14.0.2 x64, Ben-Q monitor.
    My cursor behaves properly when I use the Select tool, but when I use the Type tool, the cursor becomes very tiny outside of a text frame. If I click within a text frame, a vertical cursor blinks. However, to maneuver within the text frame, I need to use the cursor keys on my keyboard! I've tried changing the cursor settings for my system and restarting my computer to no avail. Please do not tell me to "trash" my preferences. I've spent a lot of time setting up a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesigns gives me random stuff when clicking on an option

Recently, I'm in for a surprise when trying to use InDesign. I click on a certain option, and something random pops up, for example while typing this, I'm clicking on "Window > Pages", I'm getting redirected to Adobe website to buy InDesign (note, I already bought the license). Clicking again, redirected to another InDesign file, clicking another time, now I get my Table Style, basically I get everything except the Pages.

It's always a surprise what I get and I don't know how to get rid of this issue once and for all. This is the case for every option.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Bugs with GPU, Bugs without GPU (zoom, moving objects, create text)

(Working on Adobe InDesign 14.0.2.)

Hi there,

so for a couple of weeks, my Indesign behaves quite badly.
    For demonstration purposes, I created a new blank file but these bugs also occur in existing work projects.

Case 1: GPU switched on (Image: GPU on):
    Zooming does not show any effect, only when I click in and change something. The rulers change, but my board/document is not zooming in (Video: Zooming with GPU). As soon as I found my page, the objects don't really move that well, more in a lagging, stocking way. (Video: Moving Objects with GPU).

This leads to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. properties panel tab order for changing document size

In the properties panel, please change the tab order for document size/number of pages.

When typing new dimensions for a document I would expect to type the new width for the layout and press tab to then type the new height for the layout, instead, tab takes you to number of pages!

Madness!!!

The number of times I have gone to resize a document and changed the width to a new measurement and then added 594 new pages instead of altering the new height to 594mm.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Programs hangs after having selected a text and then opening the font drop down list.

After having selected some text and then opening the drop down font menu, the program starts doing an infinte number of calculations and never stops (the CPU core being used is maxed and remains like that).

FFS hire someone who can fix it.. its been ages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. after indesign is open I try to open a 2nd file; it attempts to open another instance of indesign (but I only have license for 1 station)

When I already have Indesign open, I try clicking (within windows file explorer) on an Indesign file in an attempt to open it. When I do this an attempt is made to open another instance of Indesign instead of opening the file with the instance of Indesign already open. I only have a license for 1 station of Indesign and so the new instance of Indesign crashes. The result is I am unable to open the Indesign file this way when always before I was able to.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Workspace not loading correctly

I use multiple screens on my Mac running 10.13.6 OS.
    I continually loose one of my palette sets from view. When I load my custom workplace the character \ paragraph / etc appear as I have saved them, but this randomly disappears - if I go to window and select character the spinning wheel tales 10 - 15 seconds to load up the pallet again and all is Ok for a while, then it disappears again - Tried saving a new workspace many times but always same thin happens - this is only happening after the last update.
    Running ID…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. excel sheet names

InDesign doesn't show named cell ranges for excel sheet tabs that start with a number. If the sheet name starts with a number the named cell ranges on that sheet will not show up in the import drop down.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. QR Code

I think it would be great if the QR codes that are generated can be actually tracked. The number of users, where it was scanned, etc. Basically, Google Analytics but only for QR codes.
    It would make things a great deal easier instead of setting up Google Analytics to track this information.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. print dialog offset greyed out

The offset, gap and transverse options in the Setup section of the Print Dialog are not greyed out and so available. I tried various document presents, print presets and printers - and no matter what settings are selected these features remain greyed out. I cannot find in help pages or anywhere online how to activate this feature. Please help or fix.

Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.2 x64

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. InD responding slowly

This isn't a "bug" per se, but InD has slowed to a crawl when using. Doesn't matter if I am trying to select text, change tools, or click on a menu item. It's been going very slow for a while now, doesn't matter the file. I have tried to trash preferences and reinstall InD, and nothing has changed it. Oh, and I just have major lag, not a spinning ball.

I am Win10, InD CC 14.0.2. The only plug-in I am running is Suitcase Fusion, and that is up to date as well.

Help please, as InDesign is unusable at…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. CC Libraries fail to load or connect during launch even when CC is running in the background

CC Library associated link resource images causes error messages during launch of program or file even when CC is running in the background.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Library appears signed out but cloud is signed in (CC 2019)

I'm logged in the app and the web, but the library panel in InDesign says "you have closed your session in CreativeCloud". Strangely in the "help" menu my session appears open. I closed and logged several times, even I was temporarily bogged down for a while and the problem persists.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Resizing Text boxes causes text to disappear/flow oddly

Narrowing the text box causes text to disappear and not have the correct leading. Never have had this happen. It almost seems like it's automatically adding it's own "Space After".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Smart Grid feature not working properly. Green lines don't appear showing alignment with object's previous location

As the title says, when I move an object, the temporary green smart grid lines do not appear to show whether I am in alignment with the object's previous position. I noticed this when I was trying to replicate the 3rd video titled "Align and group content" in the "Edit Content" tutorial.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/edit-modify-content.html

I am using Adobe InDesign version 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. CC library window reappears when adding new paragraph style

Please stop the CC library pane appearing every time a new paragraph style is created. Seems to be a bug as there's no clear relationship between the features.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Smart folder (Mac) not showing items

When trying to place a file with "File/Place", smart folders in the file browser do not load any items to select from. Same also with image relinks.
    Strangely the same thing with "File/Save as" works fine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base