Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Background Tasks panel

I'm not trying to post an idea or add something.
    I merely want the Background Tasks panel to actually be useful!

When a file fails to export... no reason is given! Just that it failed. WTH? How can that in any way be deemed to be a "reason" or much less... useful in finding the issue and fixing it?

A fail reason... bad font, corrupt file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place

When placing an Arabic weight statement (e.g. "13g") followed by a tab and a percentage (e.g. "19%"), the weight declaration ("g" or "mg") moves to the percentage when exporting to pdf. Only when setting PDFX/1a:2001 is selected the output is correct. But this setting removes all layers and flattens transparencies so it's not very useful.
    A workaround is to place a space after the tab (so on the left side since this is a right to left language).
    See screen shot in attachment. On top = InDesign file, bottom = pdf created from this file using PDFX/4. The top line…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign 2019 Begins failing to export PDFs after short period of operating

InDesign 2019 | Mac OS Mojave

After a short period of time InDesign Fails anytime I try to export a PDF. I get the Error notification and just a Failed to export message. Restarting InDesign does not fix this, however if I restart my entire machine (enormous, frustrating pain in my workflow) it resume saving PDFs for a short period of time and them begin failing again until the next restart.

No other Software is having this issue, Adobe or otherwise.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Through the single page PDF created from facing the text is displayed

Through the PDF size under specified conditions, will display the text. Print out also confirmed.
    Please see the link below.
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2483538

Translations by Microsoft® Translator

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Data Merge to PDF (using the new single page export feature) does not work properly

Using the packaged folder attached, go to the Data Merge panel and select Export to PDF. Click OK on the first dialog box and in the second dialog box, make sure the "Create Separate PDF files" checkbox is checked.
    Expected result - 6 PDFs that have correct content in each PDF.
    Actual result - 6 PDFs that have incorrect content. PDF 1 is fine, but PDFs 2-6 are the same content as PDF 2.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. PDF Exporting Issue - Linked EPS wrong color

When exporting files created w/ Id CC 2018 13.0.1, some linked eps files appear in the PDF in a totally incorrect color. I've tried embedding the files and saving as an interactive PDF, to no avail. This has happened with multiple docs . Given this issue, I'm rendered unable to print any of my projects. Any insight appreciated!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. alt text

Also category: Accessibility

I'm having a problem with the PDF tags when applying alt text to a group of items- a feature introduced in the most recent version of Indesign. Even though our articles panel shows separate articles, ALL of the content that comes AFTER a group tagged with alt text will have their exported tags all appear nested within that group as well, ignoring the structure set up in the Article panel. For example:

Article 1

Group with alt tag

item in group

Item in group

more content

Article 2

Article 2 content

Will in the exported PDF appear…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Type on a path on a master page does not appear on a resulting Data Merge PDF beyond the first record

Please read this post that accurately describes the issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2437061
    I've attached a file so the fault can be replicated

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while. We have been able to address the issue and it has been fixed in our beta builds.
    In order to try out the fix of the issue you may join InDesign CC Prerelease program @https://www.adobeprerelease.com and download latest beta build 14.×.×.x from download section on the home page of InDesign CC Prerelease portal.

Let us know in the comments if you see any issue with the beta builds.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

10. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

11. Do not tag numbered headings as a list item

Unfortunately, the “Tagging Export” option within the paragraph style options getting ignored if the numbering options in the section “Bullets and Numbering” are set as well. Therefore, it’s not possible to use automatically numbered headings and getting a correct tagging structure. On the other hand it’s a good thing that lists are automatically tagged as a list. However, it should not override the export tag a user defined.

Please take that accessibility issue seriously and fix it as soon as possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. PDF comment two-way sync

Let InDesign sync the status of comments (resloved/unresolved/...) back to the PDF.

OR let InDesign export PDF's with unresolved comments.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Effects appearing in wrong place when exported to PDF

My Case Number: ADB-6422050-V1R6

I've been exporting a document which uses the bevel/emboss effect. Part of the element is outside of the frame of the document. The effect on the part of the element outside the frame is being moved into the frame when I export it into a PDF. In the screenshot, you will see that in InDesign, the yellow pad is completely yellow on the left inside the frame of the document, but the edge of the image outside the frame is white; when you view in preview mode you don't see the white. However, in the screenshot…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Indesign 14.0.1 pixellated output in export to PDF

Indesign 14.0.1
    Export to PDF using press quality job option does not produce high quality images the way the previous version used to do and all ends up pixellated at screen resolution only. The only way I know of producing press ready files is now to "package book for print", in which case, if you select your usual press ready PDF option, the conversion definitely works.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Interactive PDF go to destination not working

Using InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1

I have a 24 page report designed for print, with an additional layer which when visible adds interactive buttons to the top left corner of each page so I can also export an interactive PDF. The buttons are:

Go to previous page
    Go to next page
    Go to destination linking to the contents page

The document also contains URL hyperlinks and the contents links to each section of the report using bookmarks, but is not set up as a TOC. I'm not using any functions under the SWF/EPUB only section.

When exported as an interactive…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Selecting 'No language' from styles advanced options really exports the tag to EN in PDF

When you have a document with multiple languages and the main language isn't available in InDesign's presets, ie the document is mainly in Kirundi or Samoan and there are some English phrases, a user should be able to select 'No language' from the style's advanced options. Instead, 'No language' will export as EN and the tag in the PDF will have EN listed as the language in the tag's properties. This is problematic because the tag's language will override the document's language properties. This is a clear failure of WCAG SC 3.1.2 (language of parts).

A screen reader won't be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Pdf export Doc- Blank Pages NO printing of png. Images - Latest InDesign Version

Hi
    I believe I am not the first one to experience this terrible frustration, not being able to get a clean Pdf export doc that I send to print. One blank page is coming out of the printer instead of the one with the pics. I use Mojave 10.14.3 and the latest InDesign version. I also unchecked the PrefLight box.
    Anyone can help to sort out that issue?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Interactive elements lost when exported to interactive pdf

Version - Adobe InDesign CC 14.0.1

SWF preivew and E-pub all work fine with the interactive elements, all using clickable buttons that hide/reveal content on the page. Once exported to Interactive PDF not all buttons will hide/reveal the content they should. Also once clicked they sometimes disappear

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. pdf export fail

When exporting some InDesign files to PDF, the export fails without any specific reason given. The PDF export settings are "Press Quality" and does not fail when selecting a lower quality export setting. I was able to export fully when changing the downsampling image settings to "do not downsample" and I was able to export without fail. However, this produces a massive file, and obviously is not what I want and will not work. I need the "Press Quality" settings.

This issue appears on Windows 10 (latest release as of this writing) and I have not had any problems using…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. InDesign exporting wrong PDF size

Jan. 18, 2019

My document settings in InDesign are 3.66x8.5.
    When I export to any type of PDF it shows as being 4x9
    No bleed, no slug. I know sometimes the numbers are rounded up when you look at the size on a PDF but this is odd.

When I do a test with a document size of 3x8 I'm still getting a 4x9.
    Why?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base