Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign CC2019 - faux bold text issue when exporting pdf.

Only the pages with text+jpg are exported properly.
    The pages with any other image type with some transparency, i.e. psd, ai, even png, have bold text after exporting to pdf.

It's an old issue, coming back every now and then in many InDesign editions in the past. So we all should know how to deal with it, shouldn't we? Well, here is the rub. The trick with the text placed on a separate layer on the top doesn't work anymore. Nothing works, actually. It's a major bug. A reason to downgrade to the last correct version. I needed to export…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. white overprint with placed INDD

I stumbled across a strange phenomenon today. I have an INDD file (file 1), which is placed as such in another INDD file (file 2). In this file 1 there is a Swiss cross, which is placed as EPS. If this placed file 1 is exported as PDFX-4, everything looks correct. However, if the file 2 with the placed file 1 is exported as PDFX-4, something strange happens. The Swiss cross disappears in the PDF or the white is set to overprint. However, this is neither stored in file 1 nor in the EPS.

I have the following
    Option 1:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Export to accessible PDF hangs and crashes

CC:2019 hangs and crashes when exporting a tagged accessible PDF from InDesign.

Happens after Alt-text is added to the INDD's graphics.

Without Alt-text, it exports fine. Add Alt-text and it crashes. The progress bar stills at the end and we're forced to use Task Manager to kill it.

Windows 10/Creators with CC:2019

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. InDesign opens destination folder when exporting.

My InDesign opens the destination folder when exporting PDF-files. In my work I export files daily and I have to export them separately. So when I do this, after the export has completed successfully, the destination folder opens up automatically, which is very annoying. I can't seem to find any place, where I can turn this off. I can only turn it ON, if I don't export separately.

1. brand new update CC 2019
    2. Create a document with more than 2 pages. Export all the pages separately.
    3. That it exports the pages separately into the destination folder without…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. [CS6-CC2018][MAJOR BUG] Images upscaled in flattened PDF-files when placed over gradient

Hi,

With this post I would like to report a major bug in Indesign.

The problem occurs in these conditions:
    - A gradient background
    - On top of the background product images containing clipping masks / transparency. The images have insufficiënt resolution (105ppi).

When creating a flattened PDF-file (1.3) using the default PDF export feature, and valid high resolution export presets, all images which have a resolution higher then 75ppi, are upscaled in the final PDF-file. Images which are 105 ppi, are suddenly 300ppi in the final PDF-file. Images which an effection resolution of 75 ppi, remain 75 ppi.

After…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. data merge to PDF: page numbers (generated with current page number marker) don't increase

To recreate this bug:
    1) Make a new print document 8 pages long (doesn't matter if pages are facing or not) A4 or letter size (this doesn't matter either)
    2) Go to the master page and somewhere on the master page, add a new text frame and within that frame, add an auto page number.
    3) In a text editor, create the following file for test purposes and save it with the name "test.txt" - (cut and paste the next five lines of text):
    name
    Colin
    David
    Jose
    Max
    4) Return to InDesign, go to the data merge palette and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. InDesign produces 'failed to open the pdf file' error when importing pdf with dotted lines

Using InDesign v13.1 on a MacBook Air (12 inch, 2017) running iOS 10.13, importing a .pdf generated using attached MS Powerpoint file LA02examplerunFigure.pptx resulted in 'failed to open the pdf file' error if the lines added to the graphic are dotted lines as shown (see attachment). Changing these lines to solid lines before exporting to .pdf solved this (see 'LA02examplerunFigure(noDotted).pptx). Upon experimentation, addition of any dotted line to the graphic in Powerpoint results in this error when the file is exported to a .pdf and imported to InDesign.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. URLs breaking when used inside a table

I have a InDesign doc that has several columns (name, address, website link, etc). When converting to pdf the urls break. The urls are too long for the column so they wrap onto 2-3 lines. When I copy the url and paste it outside the table and extend the text box so the url is on one line then it works as should be.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server:
    InDesign CC
    v9.2 x64

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Table cells tagged as form fields do not get tagged when using the Articles panel in an accessible PDF file.

If you convert a table cell to a graphic cell and then make it an interactive form field, if you use the Articles panel to control the order, the form fields do not get tagged.

1.) Create a table
    2.) Select a cell and choose Table > Convert to Graphic Cell
    3.) Open the articles panel and drag the frame containing the table to the Articles panel to create a new article.
    4.) Enable "Use for Reading order in tagged PDF" from the Articles panel menu.
    5.) Export to interactive PDF with tags enabled.

Result: If you open the PDF…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [BUG] PDF size is to high using the export feature

With this post I would like to report an issue regarding the export feature of Adobe Indesign. When exporting a PDF-file from Indesign, the PDF file size is unnecessary to high and the document contains a lot of overhead. After the same pdf-file is resaved using the default Os X preview application, the overhead is removed and the file size is correct. Please fix this issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Hyperlinks broken over two lines exports incorrectly to PDF

Using InDesign CC 13.0.1, I have some urls in a paragraph that are fairly long so have to break over two lines, e.g.

www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/
    pagename

When I export to pdf, the link will just link to www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/ and the bit with "pagename" is ignored.

I found similar problems posted online from a few years back and the workaround was to set your hyperlinks using the hyperlinks palette, not just rely on the pdf to detect the links automatically. I've done this manually to my document, but the problem persists. I can get the full link to work behind the first…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Page Hyperlinks Defaulting to page 1 when Exporting to PDF

I have a multiple documents in a InDesign book. Each document has several page hyperlinks between all of the documents. I have exported this in the past and everything worked fine. Since updating to CC2018 the page hyperlinks no longer work. They all default to page 1.

I had to update some image links and make some text changes so the books and documents are all now in CC2018. I do not see a way to save the indb file as a idml so I think I am stuck on CC 2018.

I am exporting as a print pdf and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Downsampling of coloured greyscale-Images

... does not work correctly.

Example:
    An uncolored grayscale image and the same colored grayscale image are reduced differently

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. "View PDF after exporting" previously opened acrobat, now my computer switches between opening Illustrator, Mircosoft Word, rarely Acrobat

I've set my computer to use Acrobat as default, yet perhaps you could add an Application of choice to use when view exported PDF.

Not sure if it's just a bug, but any fix would be welcome. Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. hyperlink

Interactive PDF not exporting hyperlinks correctly

Everytime I export an interactive PDF with hyperlinks, the links have %0D automatically at the end. The hard return code is not in the link in InDesign, I've tried to remove it several times within the working document and Acrobat with no luck. Seems to be a bug.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Tagged artifacts are not propery exported to PDF

1. CC 2017.1
    2. Create an InDesign Document with correct tagging, articles, etc. Spend hours because there is no simple way doing this without expensive plugins. Our small monthly payment is used to include more important functions like Stock-Photos. Export PDF, correct some minor errors and check it with PAC. You´ll get many Content errors, because artifacts are not properly tagged. Try to solve it in Acrobat with the tags/order/...-panel. Spend more hours with vanishing objects and many other amusing bugs. Find the Preflight-Tool to tag all objects at once.
    3. Correct tagging while generating the PDF.
    4. Lost my…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Phantom lines are appearing on export that do show up on print

Phantom lines around boxes are appearing on export. Some of these are appearing when printed from Nitro Pro. This may be a Nitro Pro issue?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Datamerge

Version: Indesign CC 2017.1. Same behaviour in both Windows 7 and El Capitan 10.11.6.

Steps to reproduce: Create a layout file and a tab delimited text file like the ones seen on the info images.

Expected result: A pdf with the same data as the text file and preview.

Actual result: A pdf with its first record correct, but the following two incorrect. See description image.

Solutions/workarounds

1. Decrease the column names number of characters and/or make sure no placeholder has overset text (used solution).

2. Create a merged document. The values seem to work as expected then (this solution…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. AGLFN: ZWJ, ZWNJ, ZWS in PDF

Indesign is not written ZWJ (U+200D), ZWNJ (U+200C), ZWS (U+200B) with its glyph name uni200D, uni200C, uni200B respectively.

This is not helping in copying the text with ZWJ (U+200D), ZWNJ (U+200C), ZWS (U+200B) from PDF.

These non-printing characters are copied has "space" instead.

These non-printing characters in Indic scripts are part of text. With and without these characters, text can changes its meaning.

Please support these characters with AGLFN glyph names in fonts in Indesign, PDF export feature.

More info

https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/agl-aglfn/issues/1#issuecomment-323822117

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base