Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 2020 won't overwrite PDF

Since updating to Indesign 2020 I can't overwrite pdf files from the export menu it says 'file is still open' when it's not. Yet another thing broken on the yearly beta test.

127 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

86 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Id CC 2020 pdf export failure

I get an error "Failed to Export the PDF file" when exporting file previously created in Id CC 2019.
    Id does not give any details about the error. It simply stops exporting. I've never seen such a message before (I've been working with Id since version 1.0).
    The same file is exported from CC2019 without any problems.
    Windows 10 with all updates.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign 2019/2020, PDF export deletes components of some composite CJK glyphs when they overlap

Install the test font in the attached zip and open the the InDesign document. Exporting to PDF clears out the top part. This did not happen in 2018.

I initially reported this to Josh Hadley on 23 Jan 2020, who wrote up an internal report and came back to me, saying the InDesign team could reproduce and suggested working around the issue by decomposing everything or diverting the export through PostScript/Distiller. A very large client told us that this is not an option for them and would like a direct fix.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Links export to PDF creates "Null Alt Text" attribute in tagged PDF

When an ID 15 file with hyperlinks is exported to Tagged PDF, unless you assign alternative text to the Links in ID, the Link tags will have a "null text" attribute which prevents the content of the Link tag from being read by a screen reader. This is a problem for several reasons. Not everyone chooses to add alternative text to hyperlinks. It's a UA, but not a WCAG 2 requirement. An automated accessibility checker like Acrobat's or even PAC is not going to flag this. Most people do not do a "Jaws check" of the PDF they are remediating…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Placed PDFs that contain hyperlinks when exported to PDF, links are removed

InDesign 15.1.1
    macOS Majave
    Acrobat Version (Architecture: x86_64
    Build: 20.9.20067.384717
    AGM: 4.30.101
    CoolType: 5.14.5
    JP2K: 1.2.2.46033)
    ========= END SYSTEM INFO ========

Step 1: Open Indesign and place the "Placed PDF.pdf" file on a page
    Step 2: Export the PDF using Adobe PDF Presets (High Quality) select Hyperlinks checkbox on export and save
    Step 3: Open exported PDF and put mouse over hyperlink that was present in document from Step 1.

Expected Result: would expect the hyperlink to remain clickable when exported from originating PDF

Actual Result: hyperlink was removed on export and is no longer clickable :( See attached document…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Variable font glyphs incorrectly filled when exported to PDF (Mac)

Variable fonts are incorrectly filled when exported to PDF format on Mac.

Glyphs are shown without fault within InDesign itself (see vfaindesign.png). However, when exported to PDF format and opened on OSX, there is an issue with how overlapping contours are displayed (see indeisgnapdf_mac.png). As you can see, where the contours overlap are not filled in correctly.

After some testing, we have identified this as an Adobe problem on macOS (the issue also occurs when we export Illustrator files to PDF). We believe the problem stems from InDesign and Illustrator subsetting the variable font into different…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Variable Fonts don't display correct via PDF export

I'm very excited to see variable fonts in InDesign, thank you!

However, when using variable fonts in an InDesign document, exported PDFs show overlaps (as in the crossbar of /A), as well as inconsistent stem weights, spacing, and alignments in various glyphs. These issues occur in multiple variable fonts I've tested.

If I use static fonts or convert fonts to outlines using Type > Create Outlines these issues don't show up. These issues are present when viewing PDFs in both Acrobat and Preview (see screenshots attached). These variable fonts work fine in web browsers and other applications that support variable…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. export pdf

I get a corrupted PDF file after export to PDF print.
    Latest version, restarted, tried different settings, does not give error when exporting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Renaming hyperlinks shared destinations: broken links in exported PDF

Hello,

I encounter a serious issue with InDesign 2020 (15.0.3) when renaming hyperlinks shared destinations (linking pages in the same document):

Those links seem still working in InDesign when clicking a page icon in the Hyperlinks panel (it leads to the proper destination page)
    They don't work anymore after the PDF export in Acrobat (the links are clickable but they lead nowhere)
    I had to re-create all the shared destination links in the document, which is a huge waste of time at least and makes the feature very unreliable.

I made 2 tests files, here's the Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lugt070lkyzvnwr/AABIqY90wl4A0ujhD66K6nFaa?dl=0

Test…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. pdf overwrite error in 15.1.1

Once again getting pdf overwrite error in 15.1.1 today. After closing Acrobat DC and couple of time successfully exported pdf.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Export Shortcut Windows 10 not working

The export shortcut (Control E) doesn't work after the new update (Windows 10). I've restarted the app and computer to test.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. InDesign 2020 pdfs not exporting correctly

PDFs have an error when viewing in acrobat and can not be imported into another Indesign file as an image. This is for print ready pdf's, not interactive ones.

The attached screenshot shows error message and the pdf has dropped an image and some copy.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. InDesign and Acrobat accessibility conflict

Adobe InDesign version: 2019 CC

We are currently trying to establish the best workflow in creating fully accessible PDF's for screen readers and I believe we have come across a bug in the communication between InDesign and Acrobat.

Quick summary:

H1 elements on multiple lines read as separate elements unless assigned manually in Acrobat
    The Structure and Article order does not transfer to the PDF

To explain the issue clearly I have numbered the images in the process order.

1. Image: 1 InDesign Accessibility setup.png

2. I have setup ‘paragraph styles’ and used the correct ‘Export Tagging’ tags for each style.

3. I…
    5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 15.1.1

PDFs are taking FOREVER to export in 15.1.1.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Wrap around problem

With Mac OS Catalina… What you get on screen is not what you can print !
    Any Wrap Around item only comes out as a black box surround…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Exporting tagged PDF from InDesign 2020 but shows up as not tagged in Acrobat

Using InDesign 15.1.1 and the newest Acrobat Pro DC

I'm creating an accessible document using InDesign and when I export to PDF and open in Acrobat, it's telling me the document isn't tagged. I've made sure the check box is ticked for create Tagged PDF. Not sure what's going wrong?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. PDF Export issues when INDD contains large EPS file

Using InDesign CC 2020 ver 15.1.1

Exporting an INDD file that contains a link to an EPS image that is 26.8MB. The image is used on multiple occasions through out the piece.

Would expect a PDF on Smallest File Size preset to be smaller than a PDF created at Press Quality preset.

No special steps reproduce this, simply export to PDF using the presets. Did not adjust the downsampling sizes. But when I did this didn't solve the issue.

The reality was that exporting a PDF on Press Quality comes out at 37.6MB and on Smallest File Size is 56.3MB.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. export to PDF

Indesign version latest version (July 13, 2020) is not exporting to PDF, neigther interactive or print.
    It just stops at middle process and nothing is created.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Exported interactive PDF does not honour reading order.

1 – InDesign 2020 15.0
    2 – Have standard copy with headings and body copy with PDF export tags applied (H1, H2, P etc). Add images between sections of text. Drag elements into the Articles panel in the correct reading order and tick 'Use for Reading Order in Tagged PDF.
    3 – Images should be in the right order
    4 – Images are not in the right order. All figures are in a <Art> tag. This was not an issue in InDesign 2019.
    5 – Order should be first block of text, image (1) and then second block of text…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base