Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PDF Export

InDesign CC2019 / PDF Export Print (Druck)
    It is no longer possible to export correctly to PDF x3 or x4; and it is no longer possible to change the export settings of colour profiles (for example to FOGRA 39 or ISO Coated etc…)

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Weight remains on text when exported to pdf even if changed to zero.

I am using InDesign CC 2019 14.01 x64.

Once a stroke weight has been added, if you then change the stroke weight back to zero, then when you export to pdf the pdf will have a stroke weight added to the text, even though the indesign document looks correct. It may not have the original amount of weight that was added, but it will definitely have what looks to be around a .2 weight added.

However, if you were to start a new document, then add stroke weight, then click edit - undo stroke weight, then it would export to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Data Merge not populating fields CC2019

I use Data Merge for variable data production every day. I am using IDCC2019 v14.0.1. iMac 27 inch late 2013. OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. 16 GB memory.

This problem started with IDCC2019. I link to .csv for data merge. When exporting to PDF, I choose a record range – for example 1-1000. In the PDF result, the first page is not the first record. It is a random record in the middle – for example, 319. It merges records 319-1000. Then the remaining pages of the 1000 page output are not populated – in the…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Background Tasks panel

I'm not trying to post an idea or add something.
    I merely want the Background Tasks panel to actually be useful!

When a file fails to export... no reason is given! Just that it failed. WTH? How can that in any way be deemed to be a "reason" or much less... useful in finding the issue and fixing it?

A fail reason... bad font, corrupt file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. PDF-export: Small images (icons) seem corrupt on right side when compression is on

Indesign: 14.0.2. x64
    Acrobat: 2019.010.20100
    Win 10 pro x64, 1809 up to date
    -
    So small images look strange and you can see they appear corrupt on the right side. In the last 15 years I have never experienced an issue like this so I would like to know if this is an ordinary behaviour which I ran into by chance or bad luck.

The used image is a scaled down image of a rather small photoshop-file.

At first I thought my guides might cut the images, but they don´t. I worked on the .PSD file, I increased the size…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place

When placing an Arabic weight statement (e.g. "13g") followed by a tab and a percentage (e.g. "19%"), the weight declaration ("g" or "mg") moves to the percentage when exporting to pdf. Only when setting PDFX/1a:2001 is selected the output is correct. But this setting removes all layers and flattens transparencies so it's not very useful.
    A workaround is to place a space after the tab (so on the left side since this is a right to left language).
    See screen shot in attachment. On top = InDesign file, bottom = pdf created from this file using PDFX/4. The top line…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Accessibility-Tag Tree-Data Merge

ID 14.0.1, Mac Pro, Sierra 10.12.6
    Tags are not in proper order in exported PDF
    Using Data Merge to create many pages of text and table from large Excel file Col A-FF. Each row produces one page. The first section of the page tags are at the top of the tag tree, followed by the first section of each successive page. Then the Next tags (from the tables) are listed, again by successive pages.
    To remediate, all (table) tags have to be moved to the proper page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Do not tag numbered headings as a list item

Unfortunately, the “Tagging Export” option within the paragraph style options getting ignored if the numbering options in the section “Bullets and Numbering” are set as well. Therefore, it’s not possible to use automatically numbered headings and getting a correct tagging structure. On the other hand it’s a good thing that lists are automatically tagged as a list. However, it should not override the export tag a user defined.

Please take that accessibility issue seriously and fix it as soon as possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Indesign CC

Using OS Mojave, 10.14.1: Bug in most recent version of Indesign CC, date 11.14.18: when I try to export a document as a pdf, instead of opening the document in preview, it starts up Illustrator and opens it there as an Illustrator pdf. Very strange. The document is still saved as a pdf, but only opens as an Illustrator file on my computer. I can still open the pdf in Preview. Please fix this.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PDF Hyphenation Bug when line has cross-reference, hyphenated word, and option is to create Tagged PDF

When exporting an InDesign document to PDF, the hyphenated word is displayed incorrectly in the output PDF.

It only happens with a line that has cross-reference object, hyphenated word, and option is to create Tagged PDF.

InDesign 2019 (14.0.1) (MAC/PC) . Also tried it with previous versions and it has the same issue.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Indesign 14.0.1 pixellated output in export to PDF

Indesign 14.0.1
    Export to PDF using press quality job option does not produce high quality images the way the previous version used to do and all ends up pixellated at screen resolution only. The only way I know of producing press ready files is now to "package book for print", in which case, if you select your usual press ready PDF option, the conversion definitely works.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Interactive PDF go to destination not working

Using InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1

I have a 24 page report designed for print, with an additional layer which when visible adds interactive buttons to the top left corner of each page so I can also export an interactive PDF. The buttons are:

Go to previous page
    Go to next page
    Go to destination linking to the contents page

The document also contains URL hyperlinks and the contents links to each section of the report using bookmarks, but is not set up as a TOC. I'm not using any functions under the SWF/EPUB only section.

When exported as an interactive…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Accessibility Checker fails Radio buttons and checkboxes in Adobe Acrobat

Accessibility Checker fails:
    Check boxes (Tagged form fields - Failed)
    Radio buttons (Tagged annotations - Failed)
    InDesign copy changes, Acrobat Reading order missing tags.

Using MacOS High Sierra V 10.13.6.

Previous files, InDesign 2018 Export Adobe PDF Interactive Passed the checker.
    Duplicate the pdf and rerun the checker and it passes.

Same file open in newer version InDesign 2019 Export Adobe PDF Interactive fails. This tells me the problem is with Indesign 2019.

This is happening with all my files. If I take a new Indesign file with no interactive functions and create them in InDesign 2019 everything passes.

Indesign…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Selecting 'No language' from styles advanced options really exports the tag to EN in PDF

When you have a document with multiple languages and the main language isn't available in InDesign's presets, ie the document is mainly in Kirundi or Samoan and there are some English phrases, a user should be able to select 'No language' from the style's advanced options. Instead, 'No language' will export as EN and the tag in the PDF will have EN listed as the language in the tag's properties. This is problematic because the tag's language will override the document's language properties. This is a clear failure of WCAG SC 3.1.2 (language of parts).

A screen reader won't be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. PDF comment two-way sync

Let InDesign sync the status of comments (resloved/unresolved/...) back to the PDF.

OR let InDesign export PDF's with unresolved comments.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Effects appearing in wrong place when exported to PDF

My Case Number: ADB-6422050-V1R6

I've been exporting a document which uses the bevel/emboss effect. Part of the element is outside of the frame of the document. The effect on the part of the element outside the frame is being moved into the frame when I export it into a PDF. In the screenshot, you will see that in InDesign, the yellow pad is completely yellow on the left inside the frame of the document, but the edge of the image outside the frame is white; when you view in preview mode you don't see the white. However, in the screenshot…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Interactive elements lost when exported to interactive pdf

Version - Adobe InDesign CC 14.0.1

SWF preivew and E-pub all work fine with the interactive elements, all using clickable buttons that hide/reveal content on the page. Once exported to Interactive PDF not all buttons will hide/reveal the content they should. Also once clicked they sometimes disappear

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. The most unhelpful error mistake ever made - 1 problem (1 failute) was found with background task:

What I should do with this error? When I save each page separately the pdf export works fine)

Please give more specific error warnings! Thanks

```
    1 problem (1 failute) was found with background task:
    ```

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7