Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. [BUG] PDF size is to high using the export feature

With this post I would like to report an issue regarding the export feature of Adobe Indesign. When exporting a PDF-file from Indesign, the PDF file size is unnecessary to high and the document contains a lot of overhead. After the same pdf-file is resaved using the default Os X preview application, the overhead is removed and the file size is correct. Please fix this issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Indesign will not tag endnotes to XML

When Adding untagged items to the Structure, Indesign promptly states that Endnotes are not supported for XML tagging. I use XML tagging process for creating reliable Accessible WCAG compliant PDFs, and other export requirements. Please make Endnotes USEFUL - 1. keep in same story (not an additional frame) and make tagging process available.
    OR... a way to convert endnotes to linked cross references - even in tables!
    Tables if Indesign worst thought when it comes to footnotes and endnotes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Page Hyperlinks Defaulting to page 1 when Exporting to PDF

I have a multiple documents in a InDesign book. Each document has several page hyperlinks between all of the documents. I have exported this in the past and everything worked fine. Since updating to CC2018 the page hyperlinks no longer work. They all default to page 1.

I had to update some image links and make some text changes so the books and documents are all now in CC2018. I do not see a way to save the indb file as a idml so I think I am stuck on CC 2018.

I am exporting as a print pdf and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Downsampling of coloured greyscale-Images

... does not work correctly.

Example:
    An uncolored grayscale image and the same colored grayscale image are reduced differently

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. hyperlink

Interactive PDF not exporting hyperlinks correctly

Everytime I export an interactive PDF with hyperlinks, the links have %0D automatically at the end. The hard return code is not in the link in InDesign, I've tried to remove it several times within the working document and Acrobat with no luck. Seems to be a bug.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Dotted line looks pixelated in pdf

When I export a Indesign file to pdf that has lines in it with japanese dot style, the dots appear pixelated in the pdf. But only the dots on a straight line, the dots in the rounded corner (see attached screenshots) look good, as do the dots on a circle line.

When I print the file they look good. But as I need to show this document on screen as well it has to look good on screen too.

Could you please fix this?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Phantom lines are appearing on export that do show up on print

Phantom lines around boxes are appearing on export. Some of these are appearing when printed from Nitro Pro. This may be a Nitro Pro issue?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Datamerge

Version: Indesign CC 2017.1. Same behaviour in both Windows 7 and El Capitan 10.11.6.

Steps to reproduce: Create a layout file and a tab delimited text file like the ones seen on the info images.

Expected result: A pdf with the same data as the text file and preview.

Actual result: A pdf with its first record correct, but the following two incorrect. See description image.

Solutions/workarounds

1. Decrease the column names number of characters and/or make sure no placeholder has overset text (used solution).

2. Create a merged document. The values seem to work as expected then (this solution…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. AGLFN: ZWJ, ZWNJ, ZWS in PDF

Indesign is not written ZWJ (U+200D), ZWNJ (U+200C), ZWS (U+200B) with its glyph name uni200D, uni200C, uni200B respectively.

This is not helping in copying the text with ZWJ (U+200D), ZWNJ (U+200C), ZWS (U+200B) from PDF.

These non-printing characters are copied has "space" instead.

These non-printing characters in Indic scripts are part of text. With and without these characters, text can changes its meaning.

Please support these characters with AGLFN glyph names in fonts in Indesign, PDF export feature.

More info

https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/agl-aglfn/issues/1#issuecomment-323822117

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Profiles equal to the Output-Intend get lost on PDF-Export

When exporting a PDF all profiles equal to the Output-Intend (which in my case is the Document-Colorspace PSO Coated V3) get lost when exporting.

I have created a small test-file with an PSO Coated V3 Image and an ISO Coated V2 Image.

When Exporting as PDF X4 with Output-Intend Set to PSO Coated V3 the Image that IS PSO Coated V3 looses its profile and the same for the ISO Coated V2 when the Output-Intend is set to that.

This is horrible for Colormanagement. I've been in contact with "Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG" and they suggested to report this to Adobe…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Missing color in PDF from InDesign

I have an InDesign file with a placed PSD file in it, which contains two spot colors. When I save the file as a PDF out of InDesign, only one of the two spot channels is visible.

I'm running the latest versions of InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat. To reproduce, open the attached InDesign file and save as a PDF. The resulting PDF should show a yellow and blue spot, but only the blue is visible. (The PDF generated during packaging also exhibits the problem.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Exported interactive PDF does not honour reading order.

1 – InDesign 2020 15.0
    2 – Have standard copy with headings and body copy with PDF export tags applied (H1, H2, P etc). Add images between sections of text. Drag elements into the Articles panel in the correct reading order and tick 'Use for Reading Order in Tagged PDF.
    3 – Images should be in the right order
    4 – Images are not in the right order. All figures are in a <Art> tag. This was not an issue in InDesign 2019.
    5 – Order should be first block of text, image (1) and then second block of text…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. exportar a SWF

Hola!! la nueva versión de indesign no tiene la opción de exportar a SWF !!!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Image tags all grouped in their own article at the end of the tags panel

I have set up articles in multiple files InDesign 2020 (files first created in InDesign 2019 and updated to 2020 yesterday and today). When I export to PDF, all image tags are added to a new article in the bottom of the tags panel in Acrobat DC rather than in the articles that I assigned them to in InDesign. Luckily, I preserved a version of InDesign 2019 and can open them in there and export to have the tags show up in the correct place. FYI, I also made sure my layers order in InDesign is as I want it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. pdf proof settings

Easier way for artists who dont understand prepress to provide print ready pdf proofs with the correct settings that match pressready or digital print without causing issues. Reduces issues with colors or layering not set correctly by the artist.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. empty pdf

Bonjour, J'utilise votre logiciel Indesign pour un publipostage avec environ 350 lettres. Mon publipostage est terminé et j'aimerais exporter en PDF mon travail. Malheureusement, à chaque fois que je l'exporte et que j'essaie de l'ouvrir, un message d'erreur apparait "le fichier n'a pas pu être ouvert car il est vide". Avez-vous une explication ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bleed applies wrong when exporting as spreads

Indesign document with 2 pages in a spread, 5 mm bleed on all sides.

Export to PDF as spreads with 5 mm bleed on the left side: The PDF has no bleed.
    Export to PDF as spreads with 5 mm bleed on the right side: The PDF has 5 mm bleed on both left and right side.

Indesign v 14.0.3

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bleed applies wrong when exporting as spreads

Indesign document with 2 pages in a spread, 5 mm bleed on all sides.

Export to PDF as spreads with 5 mm bleed on the left side: The PDF has no bleed.
    Export to PDF as spreads with 5 mm bleed on the right side: The PDF has 5 mm bleed on both left and right side.

Indesign v 14.0.3

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base