Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. alt text

Also category: Accessibility

I'm having a problem with the PDF tags when applying alt text to a group of items- a feature introduced in the most recent version of Indesign. Even though our articles panel shows separate articles, ALL of the content that comes AFTER a group tagged with alt text will have their exported tags all appear nested within that group as well, ignoring the structure set up in the Article panel. For example:

Article 1

Group with alt tag

item in group

Item in group

more content

Article 2

Article 2 content

Will in the exported PDF appear…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

4. Tagged artifacts are not propery exported to PDF

1. CC 2017.1

2. Create an InDesign Document with correct tagging, articles, etc. Spend hours because there is no simple way doing this without expensive plugins. Our small monthly payment is used to include more important functions like Stock-Photos. Export PDF, correct some minor errors and check it with PAC. You´ll get many Content errors, because artifacts are not properly tagged. Try to solve it in Acrobat with the tags/order/...-panel. Spend more hours with vanishing objects and many other amusing bugs. Find the Preflight-Tool to tag all objects at once.

3. Correct tagging while generating the PDF.

4. Lost my mind ...
      Please overhaul…
    3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. PDF export with hyperlink incorrect when hyphenation is used in URL

When hyphenation is used within the URL the link will become corrupted. Using PDF Export with option Hyperlink ON.
    CC2017.1 (build 12.1.0.56) Mac and Win.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Placed PDFs that contain hyperlinks when exported to PDF, links are removed

InDesign 15.1.1
    macOS Majave
    Acrobat Version (Architecture: x86_64
    Build: 20.9.20067.384717
    AGM: 4.30.101
    CoolType: 5.14.5
    JP2K: 1.2.2.46033)
    ========= END SYSTEM INFO ========

Step 1: Open Indesign and place the "Placed PDF.pdf" file on a page
    Step 2: Export the PDF using Adobe PDF Presets (High Quality) select Hyperlinks checkbox on export and save
    Step 3: Open exported PDF and put mouse over hyperlink that was present in document from Step 1.

Expected Result: would expect the hyperlink to remain clickable when exported from originating PDF

Actual Result: hyperlink was removed on export and is no longer clickable :( See attached document…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. pdf overwrite error in 15.1.1

Once again getting pdf overwrite error in 15.1.1 today. After closing Acrobat DC and couple of time successfully exported pdf.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Export Shortcut Windows 10 not working

The export shortcut (Control E) doesn't work after the new update (Windows 10). I've restarted the app and computer to test.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Exporting a PDF from Indesign is creating Form Xobject containers for everything.

This is happening to me now and is messing everything up for 508 accessibility remediation. Copied this from another user. "The latest version of InDesign exports PDF's in which most all the tagged content is in an Xobject container, making accessibility remediation MUCH MORE DIFFICULT. This is a huge step backwards. Attached are two examples, from the same client, annual reports- last year's was fine, this year's has all the xobject issues. Please advise, help, fix, something!!!"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Version 15.0.2 - Images are pixelated after exporting file to PDF.

The work around I've found is to go to Compression and turn off Bicubic downsampling. And select Do not downsample.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Can't Export PDF due to Indesign background tasks error

I am using Indesign 2020 v15.0.02 and i am unable to export a large width document to PDF as I keep getting the Background Tasks Error. I have never seen this before.

I need to export a large mm doc design for our new outdoor sign and can't send to the printers as it wont export properly.

I've looked online but cant fix it myself despite trying tips.

Please help this is driving me insane!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Indesgin sucks at exporting interactive PDF.

Developers, answer me, please.
    I used InDesign to make e-books (interactive PDF).
    But every e-book was very heavy with 10 MB or more, even though I left the quality of the images at 72 or 96 DPI, and still using few images. It gets very heavy especially if you use dynamic links from Photoshop and Illustrator.
    I tried everything, but I couldn't solve this problem. Is there any way to resolve this?
    At Microsoft Publisher, Affinity Publisher and even Canva or Power Point it is much easier to have a light PDF with good quality images. I believe this is…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. indesign inside indesign error CMYK on PDF exporting

Problem in inDesign v15. Previous versión works fine

I use huge indesign files (wen name it A) inside a indesign file(we can name it B), is cool feature that optimice our workflow. After update, everythink looks working well but when we exporte print file in PDFx1a Format we experiment problems on RGB->CMYK conversión on images os "A"file, when we export from "B" file. But it work fine if we export on the original "A" source file. Some similar issues are detected, leaving space in white or low, strange white image file as described on attach file.

Not very sure if…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. CC2020 missing text upon export to pdf - significant loss of functionality

A document exported to PDF from Indesign CC2020 fails to export the character U+06DD. There is a blank space instead. The only work around is to save as IDML and open and export with Indesign CC2019. CC2019 works just fine. Export choice (PDFx 3 or 1 or etc) does not matter. There is no difference between the two attached files. I exported the 01GEN CC2020.pdf first from Indesign CC2020 and you can see that the character is invisible (but still there). Then I saved the file to IDML, opened it with CC2019, and exported it without any edits. You can…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Can not create PDF, links apparently broken?

Hi guys,

Indesign links panel appears fine but when I goto export to pdf it comes up with "This document contains links to files that are not accessible..." they are linked to my local hard rive? Extremely frustrating, there must be a simple remedy?

Thanks,
    Mark

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. have to choose export folder every time

In CC2019 and before, Indesign seemed to remember, in which folder it was exporting last. So when I was in Job A, it would offer me Folder A to begin with. When I was in Job B, it would offer mit Folder B to begin with.

In CC2020 (under 10.15.1) it seems Indesign shows the last folder I was woring in. So when I am in Job A an chose Folder A by hand, then close the job and open Job B, When exporting the file would be saved in folder A. Which is quite annoying to be honest. I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Multiple text line links tab out of order

Not sure if InDesign or Acrobat issue: Using 13.1. InDesign - Recently noticed that if I have text that flows to 2 lines and that has a hyperlink behind it, in Acrobat, the tags show the link as having two Link-OBJR, but they are the reverse of reading order. So if you tab the page, you go from 2nd line of text to first. So,

'Go to
    the store'

tabs as if it is 'the store' 'go to'. The underlying link is fine--no issue there--it's the tab order and tag order (tag order perhaps then impacting screen readers/accessibility???).

This is…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Multipage PDF Export failure -Backgrond task running constantly

PDF export constantly runs as background task with zero percent progress until I force quit InDesign, delete the temp recovery file, and delete the "zero bytes" PDF that InDesign failed to genereate. If I leave it and reexport once running InDesign again it happens again. I've found it takes deleting the recovery file (.idlk) and the PDF that has zero data at the location I tried exporting to. Once I do that it seems to work. My InDesign file is multiple pages (32). Smaller page counts and data files seem to work although my InDesign file isn't that large. Once…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Text on path do not export to PDF inDesign 2020

Text on path with outline do not export, only first letter. Even if I change the font, reimport from idml. Only if changing alignment of outline to exterior is working

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base