Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. CC2018 exporting pixelated PDF

Every export setting is giving same result.. Some have hidden items showing up. all have pixilations. Illustrator is exporting perfectly, I use 1 of 2 export settings for everything we do here.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

35 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

2. PDF Export

InDesign CC2019 / PDF Export Print (Druck)
    It is no longer possible to export correctly to PDF x3 or x4; and it is no longer possible to change the export settings of colour profiles (for example to FOGRA 39 or ISO Coated etc…)

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export PDF, cannot cancel background task

Sometimes, there is no way to cancel a background pdf export task.

No way to close the document either, only hard quitting works.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

4. anchor

1) Version of Adobe InDesign: CC 2018 (latest release)

2) Steps to reproduce the issues:
    i) Create a text box with type tool. Enter text.
    ii) Create a text field with "buttons and forms" or insert a picture.
    iii) Anchor text field (or picture) to the end of the text in the text box.
    iv) Drag text box into Articles panel.
    v) Ensure "Include Article" is selected.
    vi) Select "use for reading order in tagged PDF" in Articles panel menu.
    vii) Export to PDF (save as interactive is using the text field).

3) Expected result:

Text field (or picture) will…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Accessible PDF Exported from ID contains SPANS in Reading Order panel

InDesign Version: 13.1

To reproduce issue, create an InDesign document with some styles, map styles to tags and export to PDF with tags (accessible pdf).

Expected result is that in the Reading Order panel (and Content pane), each paragraph is wrapped in an appropriate container.

The actual result is that each line of text within a paragraph is wrapped in a span container.

Although this doesn't seem to directly affect the accessibility of the file, it makes additional remediation difficult because of the many containers found in the PDF file.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    We acknowledge that the issue is slowing you down and we regret the same.
    Our investigation suggests that the issue lies in the latest update of Acrobat and there is little that can be done at our end to resolve the issue.
    The problem has been communicated to the relevant team.
    In the meanwhile we are closing this thread for InDesign.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

6. Data Merge not populating fields CC2019

I use Data Merge for variable data production every day. I am using IDCC2019 v14.0.1. iMac 27 inch late 2013. OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. 16 GB memory.

This problem started with IDCC2019. I link to .csv for data merge. When exporting to PDF, I choose a record range – for example 1-1000. In the PDF result, the first page is not the first record. It is a random record in the middle – for example, 319. It merges records 319-1000. Then the remaining pages of the 1000 page output are not populated – in the…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

7. Rollover images "stick" in Interactive PDF

Hi, I am working on the document that contains multiple rollovers. All of them "stick" at one point or another, the images will change to "rollover" state but not to the normal state when hovering off. This is very confusing for the end-users. Please see attached pdf. I am using InDesign CC 2018.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign performance issue: Hangs when exporting to PDF

1. Latest Indesign CC, Windows 10
    2. ID would sometimes not finish the export to PDF task and hangs for minutes. It must then be killed in the task manager. During this it constantly consumes a big lot of RAM and CPU power. See attachment.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Weight remains on text when exported to pdf even if changed to zero.

I am using InDesign CC 2019 14.01 x64.

Once a stroke weight has been added, if you then change the stroke weight back to zero, then when you export to pdf the pdf will have a stroke weight added to the text, even though the indesign document looks correct. It may not have the original amount of weight that was added, but it will definitely have what looks to be around a .2 weight added.

However, if you were to start a new document, then add stroke weight, then click edit - undo stroke weight, then it would export to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Exporting Emojis to PDF

I built a newsletter with the use of the new Apple Emoji "glyphs" in InDesign and when I went to export it as a PDF, it replaced my emojis with random images from my file.

I talked with Adobe support and learned that only vector emojis can be used in PDFs which is a bit frustrating! Can we update the PDF export capability to include these new emoji features, so we can use the glyphs like I think that they were intended? I'd be a happy camper!! Thank you in advance!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. "View PDF after exporting" previously opened acrobat, now my computer switches between opening Illustrator, Mircosoft Word, rarely Acrobat

I've set my computer to use Acrobat as default, yet perhaps you could add an Application of choice to use when view exported PDF.

Not sure if it's just a bug, but any fix would be welcome. Thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Export to PDF (print file) causing Data Merge to return incorrect data

1. Creating csv file with UTF-16 encoding and 299 entries.
    2. Creating new InDesign file, importing CSV data via Data Merge.
    3. Preview data via Data Merge panel, everything is in place, no problems to solve.
    4. Exporting PDF from saved document (PDF/X-4:2010 settings).
    5. PDF starts with page, where instead of first record is a placeholder name (name of the column in csv) and some records are missing (296 pages instead of 299).

Tried different methods: use txt instead of csv, use different UTF encodings (8/16, with and without BOM, etc.). Nothing helps.
    -
    Win10, latest updates. InDesign CC…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. form field tag export

Current version - InDesign CC 2018

Form field tags are not created when exporting an interactive .pdf with tags.

To recreate:
    1. Create a form with form fields.
    2. Add everything to Articles pane in order from top to bottom per page.
    3. Export to interactive .pdf, make sure to elect to create tags and set tabbing order by structure.

Expected result - when the file runs through the Accessibility checker in Acrobat Pro - it passes.

Actual result - all form fields are missing tags and does not pass the accessibility checker.

Everything worked great before I updated InDesign…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.
    If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.
    Thanks,
    InDesign Team

14. Interactive PDF go to destination not working

Using InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1

I have a 24 page report designed for print, with an additional layer which when visible adds interactive buttons to the top left corner of each page so I can also export an interactive PDF. The buttons are:

Go to previous page
    Go to next page
    Go to destination linking to the contents page

The document also contains URL hyperlinks and the contents links to each section of the report using bookmarks, but is not set up as a TOC. I'm not using any functions under the SWF/EPUB only section.

When exported as an interactive…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. endnote

There appears to be a bug in the endnote linking when exported to PDF from InDesign. I'm running InDesign 13.0.1 x64 (Windows).

When I export an InDesign document as a PDF, endnote linking (from the reference to the text and v.v.) is incorrect.

Please see https://forums.adobe.com/message/10048963 for the full discussion. In short:

Create a document with multiple sections (e.g. 1st section with 9 pages, 2nd section with 125 pages). Endnotes in second section will link nine pages too early (e.g., if you have an endnote on page 122, clicking on the endnote in the PDF will link to page 113.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. PDF Hyphenation Bug when line has cross-reference, hyphenated word, and option is to create Tagged PDF

When exporting an InDesign document to PDF, the hyphenated word is displayed incorrectly in the output PDF.

It only happens with a line that has cross-reference object, hyphenated word, and option is to create Tagged PDF.

InDesign 2019 (14.0.1) (MAC/PC) . Also tried it with previous versions and it has the same issue.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. styles don't export to pdf tags

All my paragraph styles are set to automatic for export options. When I export to pdf 99.9% comes over as 'span' in the reading order structure, not what it is supposed to be.

There is the occasional H3 for some reason on some versions exported. Appears totally random. None on attached sample.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Open hyperlinks in new tab

You could update the software with the function to open hyperlinks in new tab within PDFs and other formats. This is very necessary.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base