Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Exporting ePub options - more needed and open direct to selected readers...

When exporting an ePUB, give the option to export as "iBooks friendly" or "ADE friendly" or "Google Play friendly" and automatically preview the epub in the chosen app. The reason this is needed is because, currently the enhanced epubs that you can export from InDesign work through iBooks but literally NOWHERE else. Google Play throws back errors that don't make sense and do not support some of the features that InDesign exports, such as javascript. And ADE does not have consistency across the android version and the Windows version and is riddled with bugs. The windows version doesn't read fonts,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. cmyk color space view

On fill tool the color picker let us use "RGB color space view". But most of us use indesign for print publishing. So, I was saying maybe you guys should update it and give us an option to use cmyk color space view instead of rgb color space view. Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InDesign Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Background Tasks Pane animation

Create an animation setting for the Background Task Pane so that the pane gives feedback while in a closed, docked position.

Why this is important is simple. Even with the larger and larger monitors with more and more real estate, simple things like the Background Tasks Pane having to be fully open to be examined is counterintuitive and by extension counterproductive. I would like to be able, with a simple glance at a docked pane to tell exactly what state the background task is in and if further detail is desired or needed, then it can be expanded with the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Select objects with similar stroke and/or fill color

Please add feature to select objects with similar stroke and/or fill color.

This has already been in Illustrator for quite awhile (to my knowledge). This would be good feature to have in InDesign also.

Thanks!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add additional interactive options to the buttons and forms panel

The buttons and forms panel (used for making interactive form elements for PDF) is missing several options that are available in Acrobat such as:
    * insert image button
    * insert date button
    * insert barcode button

There was a request to do this but it was marked FIXED and (in my humble opinion) is far from fixed - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/20482882-more-options-when-creating-forms-via-indesign

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. make the footnote continue in the whole document rather than linked textframes

Let the footnote be continues in one document irrelevant to the text frames are linked or not

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Compare Indesign Documents

@Adobe:
    I often have to deal with INDD documents which seem to be identicaln but ofte there is a small veraiation. It would be super cool if there´s a function directly in InDesign like in Acrobat to compare 2-3 documents side by side.

cheers Aleks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Preferences | Spelling... Add Find Option to Ignore Check Spelling on Master Pages and Pasteboard

Please add an option under Preferences | Spelling... Add Find Option to Ignore Check Spelling on Master Pages and Pasteboard.

This should be a Preferences feature under Spelling that can be turned on and off. I see that other people have asked for a similar feature so it's definitely a popular ask.

I'm a design professional and I create and use templates for a large corporation's various product marketing teams. Even with the best editors typos will slip through so it would be nice to be able to run a quick spell check on a document. Unfortunately, a quick spell…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. possibility to change the filename when making a PDF while packaging

We always define our PDF's with a coding for HR or LR, and I always need to manually add it after packaging. Why not make the naming of the PDF standard as identical to the indd filename, but with an option to change it or add something to it, like what PDF settings where used.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. when adjusting the stroke weight with the up/down arrow, make the selections go from 1 pt, to .75, .5, etc.

right now, if i have a line selected, and use the stroke weight pales to reduce it, if i'm already 1 pt, and click the down arrow, it goes to zero pt. not helpful. it wold be great for it to go to the other increments in the list. i was kind of hoping it would be in the current version, but nah.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Being able to download pdf spreads of an online publication.

Right now I can view it in spreads but will donwnload pages only

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. More intuitive Page move UI

Pages palette:
    In a non facing pages document, when moving a page, the indicator line for the destination is shown beside a page. I would expect it above/beneath a page.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. In Indesign 2018 while printing, we can reduce/increase the width/Height of the page with "scale" option. Please include this "scaling" opti

In Indesign 2018 while printing, we can reduce/increase the width/Height of the page with "scale" option.

Please include this "scaling" option in "Export to PDF" in Indesign, to reduce/increase the page width/Height.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Import Options for Place from CC Libraries (as there is for normal Place command)

Place from CC Libraries command doesn't have Import Options like normal Place command has – so we can't choose whether or not the Background should be Transparent or not.

FIX THIS. It's such a common function needed and it's still lacking after all these years since CC Libraries were introduced as a suggested defacto for storing, using and sharing common assets.

What takes!?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Unequal inset values in an Object Style don't display in a text frame if corners are rounded

If you use an object style with unequal inset spacing and apply it to a text frame, the unequal spacing is ignore and made uniform.

Steps to recreate:
    1. Create an Object Style
    2. Go to 'Text Frame General Options' for that style
    3. Set unequal values for 'Inset Spacing'
    4. Go to 'Stroke & Corner Cptions'
    5. In 'Corner Options' set 'Rounded'
    6. Create a Text Frame
    7. Fill Text Frame with placeholder text
    8. Apply Object Style to Text Frame

Result: unequal inset spacing is ignored.

If you apply unequal inset spacing manually there are no problems —…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. "Force quit" a background task

In all the years that we've had background tasks, I've almost never been able to cancel one successfully. Whenever a task hangs up for unknown reasons, and I hit cancel, it just hangs on the 'cancelling' step and the only way to stop it is to force-quit InDesign, which can equal lost work and damaged files.

I would like to see a more assertive way to force shut down of a background task that isn't cooperating.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Vertical Pages Placement

Vertical Pages Placement would be ideal for creating emails and web pages quicker. (Please see the attached image to understand what I am referring to)

The idea is to created the pages vertically at the correct pixel size and in the correct flow order of the email/webpage design, that once the design is complete you can easily export the individual element as separate .jpg or .png etc.

When looking at the numbers on the different boxes (Pages) I would like to be able to place number 6 next to box 5 on the right so it aligns with the rest…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow Optical Margin Alignment to apply only to punctuation.

Optical Margin Alignment does a great job allowing quotation marks and hyphens to hang into the column gutters, but it also make characters like A, W, and T do the same, which is often too high a price to pay. Fix this by allowing an option it to only apply it to punctuation.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Print miniatures (multiple pages) with definable scale rate and border style

1) Please add option to print miniatures with a definable scale rate
    2) Please allow to print multiple pages (with 100% actual size) on one sheet
    3) Please add printing option to apply something like an object style to the pages (e.g. border style, drop shadow)

These features would be great timesavers for internal discussions and external presentations during the whole design process.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Table Formulas

It would be nice if Tables could handle simple mathematical formulas. Some information changes year to year, and manually updating it gets pretty monotonous.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base