Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Proportional Scaling Using Shift Button Not Working

In the 2017.1 release of InDesign, the ability to hold Shift and scale objects proportionally seems to have disappeared. I know for me this is a major functionality problem that is increasing the time I have to spend on current projects. I've checked support forums and others are encountering this problem, but I haven't yet seen a solution.

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

237 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

Regards,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

2. error encountered reading image

1. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)
    2. Import large clipped .psd file (~880 mb) into mechanical
    3. Image placed as requested
    4. Error message received suggesting image is corrupt (note: export of InDesign file as idml and opened in 2018 to import image achieves desired result, suggesting image is not corrupt)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign 13.0.1 can not follow an alias on a server share anymore

InDesign 13.0.1 on a apple mac running 10.13.3 does not recognize alias (links) on a server share anymore. Photoshop still does.

Steps: Go to a server share, no matter if an smb or afp share.
    Create a folder A. Place an file inside, e. g. 1.jpeg
    Create an alias from folder A => A alias.
    In InDesign choose OPEN:
    Go to the server share
    The Folder A is in black typo an available. Highlight A and you see the file.
    The Alias A alias is gray, InDesign does not recognize the link.
    Do the same in Photoshop, you will…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you create an alias of a folder (located on a server) and drag it to the desktop, it works. For quick creation of aliases this way, press Option-Command while you drag the original item to the desktop.
    Note : Accessing items of an folder’s alias located on a server has not worked in previous releases of InDesign too.

4. "Rolloff" in Animationpanel not working in CC2017 / CC2018 / MAC / WINDOWS

I am working on a diplom project right now, and faced a really annoying bug in InDesign. I want to create a rollover bar, wich slides up when I rollover / hover with my mouse over a certain object. I know without any kind of problems how I am able to create something like this, but my problem is, that the object simply wont return to its destination where it came from, when I rolloff it again, like going away with my mouse. It stays on its place once the animation has been completed, and when I hover over it…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Table of contents and variables weird behaviour

When some of my titles have Variables in the TOC (variables that I have created) they appear in the TOC incorrectly. My Variable here is a dash date i.e. 2019-2020. At first I used "–" rather than "-" but both ended up with the same result. I've uploaded all screenshots to demonstrate what I'm talking about: The variable with the longer dash, the variable in the heading and the TOC that relates to it. Notice that some TOC's are affected, but not others, so I'm at a loss.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Copy a object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and move obect with the mouse doesn-t work with InDesign CC18 aunder MacOS High Sierra

Copying an object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and moving the object with the mouse doesn't work any more with InDesign CC18 under MacOS High Sierra. For me this is (has been ..) a key function in InDesign!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update

InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update. Running Mac OS High Sierra. It's one thing after another since updating to 2018.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Crashing

Updated to High Sierra and Indesign 2017 is crashes on start up of large files?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. English (UK) dictionary apparently not working

Why, when I have set things to PROPER English rather than American English, is the spellchecker still working in Mericanese?

The attached will show British spellings being highlighted as wrong, yet PROPER English selected in preferences.

Thank you!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can select the text frame and change the language in the Control panel
    or you can select a specific portion of text, say a word, in a frame and change the language for that in the Control panel.

If you want to change the application’s default language, in a no document state, edit the [Basic Paragraph] style in the Paragraph Styles panel (in Advanced Character Formats) category.

11. Page Margins Bug

I am having a bug/issue with margins. In the page setup and the properties dialogues the measurements are showing as the defaults, but clearly they have been changed as noted in the attached file. This file was created in an earlier version of INDD.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Document Setup shows the Margins of the document when it was created or margins that will be assigned to any new pages you add to the document. However, you can override margins of individual pages by using the Margins and Columns dialog. And this is what has been done for the Page – the Top and Outside margins have been set to 25mm and 45mm respectively (changed from their default setting of 12.7mm).
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

12. PDF comment import does not show regular sticky notes.

The new PDF comment feature imports the comments just fine, but regular sticky note comments are not displaying. They show up in the list, but do not point to where they are on the document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. InDesign crashes while Editing Cross-Reference

1. InDesign 13.1
    2. Select text, got to Type > Hyperlinks & Cross-References > Insert Cross-Reference
    3. Should be able to open/edit Cross-References
    4. Entire program freezes and has to be force quit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. InDesign 2018 13.1 crashing when saving back to Studio Server

We've just updated our studio with new macs, running High Sierra Version 10.13.4 and the most recent InDesign Version 13.1.

When we open a .indb document and edit one of the individual .indd files within it and attempt to save back to our Studio NAS drive/Server on our ethernet network the program crashes, corrupts the entire file and makes no effort to restore the file.

We are also running our old Macs, on Yosemite 10.10.5 with Indesign 2017 and have not experienced this issue at all for the 7 years we have used these machines.

We’ve looked on various forums…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Can't Open JPEG file

Hi there

I am having trouble opening up .jpeg files from Indesign. It is installed as a part of my Creative Cloud subscription. Please see attached for the error that pops up. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    G

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. master override

Applied master pages (spread) to all pages which includes a table along page edges for navigation. On a normal page when I attempt to override by Ctrl+Shift click the edge table from the master element to override, Indesign hangs or crashes and prompts a crash report. Only happening on the left side page of the spreads for some reason???

The subsequent launch of the program also crashes, I assume because it attempts to resume. Using the recovered version will not launch either. Must remove recovery data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Stroke Alignment Changes Shape Size

InDesign 13.0.1

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Create a shape (Rectangle, Circle, Polygon)
    2. Add stroke to shape
    3. Change stroke alignment

Expected Result:
    - Stroke changes alignment to what the user set (inside, outside, centered).

Actual Result:
    - Shape size (and bounding box) change, while stroke remains aligned inside the bounding box.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The stroke is always shown inside the bounding box for all three types of stroke alignments. But if you check the size of the object, it will be different for different stroke alignments.
    For example, if you have a square of 100 pt x 100 pt with a 20 pt stroke weight aligned to Center, its W & H = 120 pt. Similarly for the same square, if the stroke is aligned to Inside, its W & H = 100 pt while for stroke aligned to Outside, its W & H = 140 pt.

This is how it has been designed.

19. help

Indesign help takes me to webpage that does not exist.
    http://community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign_12.0&l=en_US&id=AH_HOME

Browser shows:
    Safari can’t open the page “‎community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign_12.0&l=en_US&id=AH_HOME” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Export to PDF crashes when Printer's Marks checked on in PDF export window menu (ID 14.02 )

Reoccurring crash from back in February 2019:
    When I leave Printer's Marks unchecked, Indesign exports effortlessly.

Crashing while exporting to PDF happens with any design, regardless of the contents in the design (RGB, .ai files, etc.)

I have tested it on exporting older designs that have already been sent to print with printer's marks, prior to this issue.

Note: checking or unchecking Bleed and Slug don't interfere – only Printer's Marks do.

(I have mailed all details in the crash report.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base