Bug details

InDesign changing opacity for an unselected item

I am trying to place a slightly opaque rectangle over an image but when I select to lower the opacity on the rectangle, the image (regardless if it's above or below) changes as well.

What's more odd is when I select that photo after I do the action, the image says it is at 100%. The "change" has not been reflected. I have uploaded a 1-2-3 photo demo. Note the photo's slight change in transparency although set at 100%.

This happens when the photo and rectangle are in separate layers, as well. The two items are not placed within each other. They are also not grouped.

Just updated InDesign today as well -- running InDesign CC 2018.

2 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anna Wilder shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is expected behavior.
There is something called as Transparency Blend Space in InDesign (see under Edit menu) which is either set to Document RGB or Document CMYK. When you change the Transparency of any element on the page, the RGB or Grayscale Images suddenly change – they become muted. The color space you choose as your transparency blend space will determine a lot about the look of your transparency effects. Everything on a spread is converted to the transparency blend space, regardless of whether that object is actually involved in the effect.

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anna Wilder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

**Should also mention it is not specific to this photo. I have tried another photo as well and same result.

Feedback and Knowledge Base