Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6493 results found

1. Version 19.0 does not remember the document path for Save or Exporting to PDF

Since upgrading to v19, it does not default to the path of the original opened document when saving, and Export to a PDF file does not default to the directory of the InDesign document.
    The default is you Documents folder.
    This is not the first time an upgrade has caused this behavior.
    PLEASE fix this !

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When we update from InDesign 18.5 to InDesign 19.0, the conversion of documents happen. The document is opened and the user needs to save it. We have to save the document and the same folder from where 18.5 document is opened will be seen. For export workflow without saving the document, export will point to Documents folder.

2. Color Swatch Menu Closes Upon Right-Click

1. Adobe InDesign v19.0 When I click the color swatches panel menu dropdown, the menu drops down, and I am able to edit existing swatches and I am able to add new swatches. The problem occurs when I attempt to right-click on a color or if I press the hamburger button at the top right of the panel. When I try to do either of these, the entire menu closes.
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Logical bug: font weight change to bold and back

System: ID version 17.4.2 on Windows 10.
    Problem: some fonts have weights like "Light", next to Regular and Bold. If a text is set to weight Light and you change to Bold by Ctrl+Shift+B, the text becomes bold. When changing it back, it doesn't become Light, but Regular. The logic would be to check if there is a paragraph style applied and what's its default weight and use this when "unbolding".

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Keyboard Right and Left arrow same as Up and Down Arrow

InDesign version 19.0 x64 English תומך עברית

The Keyboard Right arrow is moving the curser one line up, and the Keyboard Left arrow is moving the curse on line down, instaed of moving the curser right or left.
    The keyboard shortcuts are showing the correct behavior, but in fact it's incorrect.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Imported PDF comments listed in the wrong order

1. InDesign 19.0
    2. Mark up an InDesign-exported PDF using Acrobat. The page should be text-heavy and have multiple, tedious changes indicated. Import the marked-up PDF into the source InDesign document's layout. Display the PDF and InDesign layout side-by-side on your screen.
    3. The comments should be listed in the same order in Acrobat and InDesign.
    4. The comments are listed in the correct order in Acrobat, but are in a completely random order in InDesign.
    5. See attached screen shot.

PDF comments invariably appear in the wrong order in the list compared to their counterparts in Acrobat. The Acrobat list makes sense as comments…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign Not Exporting Forms Correctly

InDesign 18.5 is not exporting form fields correctly. The fields have a description, which corresponds to a tooltip in Acrobat. The fields fail the Acrobat accessibility checker, which states they do not have a description. They do, but InDesign is not exporting it correctly. The only way to correct this is to delete and rebuild the form fields over and over and over until the error clears.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Fonts only showing in drop down, cannot type them directly in

InDesign 18.5

Issue:
    Highlight text
    Click on the font Window (mine is displayed on right)
    begin to type in installed or adobe font, font does not populate

When I type in a font, I expect to be able to populate it

Wen I try to finish typing the font in the searchbar, it doesn't let me type in the next letter and just gives me a different font. Some fonts don't show up or do once and never again, yet are in font dropdown. This includes both installed OTC and installed Adobe fonts.

screenshot 1: Trying to type in LTC…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Browsing, Searching, and Activating fonts

For the last long while I've been having trouble with fonts in indesign and I've heard that others have the same issues.

Only the first time I open the fonts list after restarting indesign, can I scroll through it with my arrow keys. After that, it doesn't work and therefore, it's very difficult to go through my fonts.

Additionally, when I try typing in to the fonts bar to search for a font, it often doesn't pull up the font, as though it's not installed, when I find it if I scroll through the list.

Also, if I try to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Page tool causes layout shifts on parent pages

When the Page Tool is used to resize parent (master) pages, unwanted shifts of page items may occur. These can occur directly in the document or also after an IDML export. Whereby with the IDML export the order of the sample pages plays a role

Concrete example: When the right bottom corner of the Page Tool is selected and the page size is changed, a position mismatch occurs on the inherited master page.

It is expected that on master pages of the same size the position of objects and inherited object is the same.

This does not occur if the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. indesign won't start

InDesign 18.5 will not start/open - need to uninstall & reinstall everyday.

I have tried
    - switching off Connect Fonts (Suitcase)
    - restarting computer and opening InDesign as first app
    - opening through double clicking on a .indd file

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. After IDS install or update calls to preflight() don't work unless you manually edit ExportPreflightReport.jsx

Whenever we install or update InDesign Server we can't call preflight() unless we manually edit the ExportPreflightReport.jsx file found here:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign Server 2023\Scripts\Preflight

We've had to do this for every version of IDS we've installed or updated (v15, v18.2.1 and 18.5). We're using Windows Server 2022 in Azure (Win64).

I can't attach jsx or zip files but edits required are described at the bottom of this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/problem-with-save-preflight-report-using-javascript-in-macintosh/td-p/5831477

If we don't make these changes, calls to preflight on IDS don't produce a report. The script (ExportPreflightReport.jsx) works on InDesign Desktop.

It would be great if IDS shipped with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Indesign FREEZES or GETS STUCK when convertign another "version" file

My Indesign version is CC 2019. 14.0.2 64 bits
    I try to convert from version 18.2 and I logged in, as the advertisement said. But when I click "convert" the button turns from blue to grey and unselectable. And the advertisement freezes there. I have to put cancel and the program lets me cancel and the bar above is again functional. But nothing else. The program still doesnt let me convert the file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Drag copying to move the duplicate object no longer shows the original during the move.

Bug, or simply changed way to do this with modifier keys? I've noticed that lately when I drag copy an object to its new position, the original vanishes during the drag. Often I need to drag it and still see the original while dragging for an exact placement in relationship to the original being copied. Has that vanished from InDesign? If not, I've not been able to find a list of modifier keys for drag copying variations.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. portrait mode - Whether at 125% or 100% the Indesign Interface scaling option under Preferences does not work.

BUG DETAILS- On a Monitor that is setup in a Portrait configuration, whether at 125% or 100% display scale in Windows Settings, the Indesign Interface scaling option under Preferences does not work.

Adobe is a publishing software, especially InDesign. Book Publishers and their graphic design team need to have the option of working in a monitor setup in a Portrait configuration for the purpose of full vertical page (height) dimensions. I cannot get Indesign to Scale the Interface at all under Preferences when monitors are set in Portrait configuration. This is a bug because the InDesign interface does scale (as…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle" behavior in Page Panel is opposite

About Page Panel menu, "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle".
    When you check here, you can’t shuffle pages. You need to be off the check to shuffle. It's contrary to content.
    I hope this will be fixed to "Not Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle".
    Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Print files do not get overwritten.

Whether i'm trying to overwrite a print file created with PDF or .vps using ID 2022 (17.4.1) through the XMPie plugin compatible for this version, it will not overwrite a previous PDF or .vps. This is a very frustrating issue since I've had to update to 2022. the only way around this is to delete the old PDF or .vps prior to running the new /updated print file, which is time consuming step. I constantly have to check time stamps to be certain that the files I send to our presses is the most current files needed, especially if a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Black Backgrounds When Copying PNG from Web to Indesign (Return of Bug)

This is a recurring bug that was solved in a few past updates, but, it's back in InDesign V. 18.5.

When you copy a transparent background PNG from Google Images (or any website) and paste it into InDesign, it will display a black box as the background.

If you paste the same image into Photoshop, copy that, paste it into InDesign, it will not show the black background.

This was working 100% flawlessly over the last year, but, is now broken in this new version on multiple Macs. Tried different browsers. Reset preferences, same issue.

This was a bug that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Datamerge QR-code cannot be colored

When performing a datamerge, the generated QR-codes are black (C0 M0 Y0 K100) and cannot be set to another color prior to merging. This video shows the issue (and complex workaround).

Steps to reproduce:
    1. set up a datamerge with a qr-code field in data source.
    2. try to color the QR-code any color not black (eg. using Object > Edit QR-Code > Color)
    3. execute datamerge

Actual result:
    All QR-codes are black.

Expected result:
    To set the color of the QR-code placeholder the same as a normal QR-code, and for the QR-codes to be colored after the merging.

MacOS…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. No warning about missing links when exporting to jpeg or png

If I have a document with a missing link, I get a warning when exporting to PDF that there are missing links. If I am exporting a jpeg or a png of the same document, I don't get any warnings at all about missing links and simply get pixelated graphics in the output.

Exporting to a bitmap image should have the same warnings about missing links that exporting to PDF does.

1. InDesign 18.4 (Windows), but this has been the case for several versions now.
    2. Place a graphic, then move the linked file so that it shows up as missing. Export…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base