Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6478 results found

1. preview glitch

Preview Glitch occured today. This has never happened. I have noticed that InDesign has been been super buggy lately.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. direct selection tool

When selecting objects via Direct selection tool, while holding a mouse button, screen goes white (everything disappears).
    This really gets me! Started few months ago. Mac OS, Mac mini M1, InDesign 2023 and 2024 (still this problem!).
    Please help me fix this :)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Incorrect reading order for anchored objects

InDesign is placing text and objects in the incorrect reading order when exporting to accessible PDF when an anchored object is anywhere but at the bottom of the page. Instead of placing the anchored object/group of objects in the correct order, it is placing them at the end of the reading order. An example would be an anchored group of a placed Illustrator graph and it's title text box.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Hebrew that is conditioinal text does not export properly to PDF.

1. This is the case in InDesign 19.0, 19.0.1, 19.1, current beta version. 2-4. Hebrew text with diacriticals (vowels and others) that is marked as conditional text exports to PDF incorrectly. Diacritical marks are missing or misplaced. Sometimes an unexpected box appears. The same file, with conditions removed exports correctly to PDF. (Other exports, e.g., JPG) are correct. The same file exports properly in 18.5
    2. Attached files: a. Hebrew text with condition applied and same text without condition applied. This is the pdf export. I would provide the indd file but this webpage does not accept indd files. b. Screen with…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Crop marks encroach inside bleed zone

I work in a print shop. Bleed and crop marks should NEVER, NOT EVER, encroach into the bleed zone. InDesign should be set up to default the crop mark offset to automatically match the specified bleed, so that the crop marks in a PDF appear OUTSIDE of the bleed zone.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Publish Online not working

Images and text not coming through when publishing online.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. PDF/X-1a:2001 rendering is broken as of v18.4

Exporting using the PDF/X-1a:2001 preset no longer works properly as of versions 18.4. When rendering plate separations for printing using AFGA Apogee prepress software (which has NOT been updated, nor has the OS), the PDF crashes the render and spits out an error. I've checked and confirm that PDFs worked as expected forever until v18.4 and 18.5, which both produce an error. Saving the PDFs as a postscript within Acrobat and distilling back into PDF/X-1a:2001 fixes the problem, so something is broken in InDesign.
    Apogee usually provides better error reports than the single "." in that screenshot, which suggests that…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Variable Font (Source Sans 3) some Characters not available

macOS Ventura 13.5.2 (22G91), InDesign 19.0
    Since the update to Indesign 2024 (or version 19.0), some letters can no longer be selected in bold or black for the variable version of the font "Source Sans 3". When adjusting the slider, they become thinner again (instead of thicker) from a weight of 600. It affects e.g. the small a, e and l, but not the i, s... etc. they are also not displayed in the glyphs. With font weights below 600 (up to and including semibold) everything works fine (variable and with font weights). This applies to both the TT-version (download)…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Can't add a single page to the end of a document with spreads. Pages add at weird locations.

When I try to add single page to the end of a document with spreads, either nothing happens, it adds a spread, the single page adds itself to the second spread instead of at the end, or if I try to delete a page, InDesign crashes. This on top of not being able to save PDF settings, and not being able to rearrange the "parent" pages.

I'm reverting back to 2023. 2024 is nothing but bugs. Had enough.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Copying originally English text in InDesign and it's pasting as Chinese characters

Really weird - been trying to copy and paste directly from an indesign file to external documents while sub-editing a page, and noticing it's pasting as a string of Chinese characters.

E.g. see attached screenshot is pasting as:
    渀 倀愀爀椀猀 琀栀攀爀攀ᤠ猀 愀氀眀愀礀猀 爀漀洀愀渀挀攀 愀渀搀 栀攀爀攀 椀琀 挀愀洀攀 椀渀 愀 樀漀礀昀甀氀 挀漀氀氀愀戀漀爀愀琀椀漀渀 戀攀琀眀攀攀渀 䜀倀 ☀ 䨀 䈀愀欀攀爀 愀渀搀 椀渀琀攀爀椀漀爀 瘀椀猀椀漀渀愀爀礀 䬀椀琀 䬀攀洀瀀⸀ 䤀渀昀甀猀攀搀 眀椀琀栀 眀栀椀洀猀礀 愀渀搀 䬀椀琀ᤠ猀 琀爀愀搀攀洀愀爀欀 猀琀漀爀礀琀攀氀氀椀渀最Ⰰ 琀栀攀 挀漀氀氀攀挀琀椀漀渀 椀渀挀氀甀搀攀猀 愀 昀愀戀甀氀漀甀猀 猀攀氀攀挀琀椀漀渀 漀昀 猀欀椀渀渀礀 愀渀搀 昀愀琀 氀椀渀攀渀 猀琀爀椀瀀攀猀 瀀氀甀猀 愀 瀀爀椀渀琀攀搀 挀攀氀攀戀爀愀琀椀漀渀 漀昀 刀漀戀椀渀愀 䨀愀挀欀 挀攀爀愀洀椀挀猀

But only into certain programmes. Pastes in English in google search or directly into a google chat, but pasted into Whatsapp desktop or a fresh email or apple notes app (etc) it pastes as Chinese characters...

For reference, using InDesign 2023, font is Adobe Caslon Pro, language is set to UK English...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Publish Online does not zoom in/out or change orientation properly on mobile

I am using InDesign 19.3, and have been using Publish Online to create dozens of magazines in digital format. I have just realized, however, that when viewing them on phones (either Apple or Android), the orientation switches are klunky and zooming in/out does not work very well. We do have the code embedded in a simple frame so that it can be branded with our logo. That should not make a difference, however. This problem seems to go far back in the forums and there have been no improvements or updates over time. Is there anything in the pipeline to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Can't add paragraph- or charactar styles to CC library

Whenever i add a pargraph- or character styles to a CC library it simply wont add it. It says that the character - or paragraph style is not supported in Indesign. This happens with new and old libraries, character- and paragraph styles just dissapeared in older libraries. This makes the libraries unworkable.

Adobe indesign 18.5

To reproduce:
    - add a character - or paragraph style to the library
    - watch it disappear from the library

expected result:
    - the character- or paragraph is added to the library, so it can happily be used for the book and all it's chapters…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Text selecting freeses program

Today I updated InDesing to 19.4 It is no longer possible to work - every time you mark the text block, the clock starts spinning and everything hangs. ****, why publish an update without testing it well and thus hinder our work. I was forced to install version 19.3 back.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Data Merge – PDF-Image Error

Hi there
    We have the alarming situation, that we did some data merge with a bill in it which is set up as a image (PDF). We did a PDF for the costumer to check the personalization.
    Afterwards we did made the PDF for printing.
    Thats were the problem started, because the PDF of the bill was getting importet wrong. in the firstplace we imported the PDF with the Mediabox but since we edited some other files and placed some other PDF with trimbox the setting was saved in the indd presets and on the data merge we got the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hebrew Vowels colliding

Windows 11
    Indesign 19 x64

Hebrew Vowels colliding in the latest version of Indesign, please see screenshots from version 18 where everything is good and version 19 where the vowels are colliding.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Problem Selecting Hebrew vowels and diacritics

Windows 11
    Indesign 19 x64

Problem Selecting Hebrew vowels and diacritics especially when there are Hebrew and English mixed in the paragraph, it seems like there is no visual distinction to determine what is being selected. This is so frustrating, and makes it impossible to use in the long run.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Some pages/spreads are turning black/gray and page numbers are registering as PB

When scrolling through a document, the backgrounds on some pages turn black/gray, and the page numbers on those pages register as "PB" instead of the correct page number.

Restarting InDesign did not solve the problem, and opening the file in regular InDesign also did not correct the problem. I could only recover the file by saving it as a .idml and reopening it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign 2024 panels expand abnormally when application frame is OFF

Recurring issue from one InDesign upgrade to the next! Found 2- and 6-year old reports of the same bug. In-between updates fix it but reoccurs with every new upgrade...

ISSUE
    When Application Frame is disabled, panels that are on the right side of the screen don't expand towards the left as they normally would but to the right.
    The bigger the UI scaling size, the more to the right of the screen the panel expansion moves, soon disappearing altogether. Only smallest sizing allows to display properly.
    Attaching screenshot for reference.
    No problem when Application Frame is enabled.

TECHNICAL INFO:
    macOS…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign Windows all over the shop

I am currently using three screens for my work. Whenever I select a window from the menu, the flyouts appear in a hidden or hard-to-see location on any of my screens, usually in the bottom left corner. As a result, I can only see the header of the flyout, which becomes problematic when it is hidden behind other flyouts.

In my opinion, when a window/flyout is selected from the menu, it should appear in the centre of the active screen and on top for easy visibility.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base