Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The app.doScript () statement no longer works since version 15.1.1...

The script that I am attaching works up to version 15.0 and does not work with the next versions (certainly with version 15.1.1). The error that returns is "Unable to load Adobe Indesign Type Library 1.0" (translated from Italian). It does not seem to me that there are incompatibilities with the app.doScript () statement that generates the error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Objects on the page jump if a left-hand page becomes a right-hand page and vice versa

Hi developers,
    this is a longstanding bug:

With facing pages documents on EVERY document page there is a zone where jumping of objects will happen.

I call this the jump zone. All objects on a page that will jump are clearly inside the page's area. The bug has nothing to do with rounding errors where object edges are at the edge of a page.

The objects should not move if pages are added or removed, if numbering of pages is changing. Nevertheless they do. Always. Unless, the zone has a width of zero.

Below all the details.

What is a…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. For long documents containing more than 50K characters, GREP search fails to find all matching instances

Since updating to CC 14.0.2 on Windows, GREP search is no longer functioning properly. Not all instances of queries are found, or not found at all.
    I believe this is the case when working on documents created in an older version. In a newly created document it does work as it should.

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

4. Version 15.0.2 - Duplicate folder saving to desktop

After moving a packaged folder from the desktop, if I go back to edit the file it creates a duplicate folder to the desktop with only the contents of Document fonts (which does not include all fonts). Definitely a concern of saving over existing data.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign 2020 15.0.1 CEP panel size bug on Windows HiDPI with scaling > 100%

On some Windows workstations, my InDesign CEP panel has the wrong size (way too large). This looks like a re-surfacing of the old bug mentioned here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/cep-panel-wrong-size-in-cc2018/td-p/9660228?page=1

• Version:

InDesign version 15.0.1

• Steps to reproduce:

Install this dummy sample 'Hello World' panel into InDesign 15.0.1 on Windows 10 on a workstation with a HiDPI display. Make sure the Windows Display Scaling it set to 100%

https://rorohiko.com/downloads/ID2020PanelSizeBug/ID2020PanelSizeBug.1.0.0.zxp

Run InDesign, open the panel -> should be OK.

Quit InDesign, change the Windows display scaling to 200%

Run InDesign, open the panel -> panel is extraordinary large. See screenshots on

https://coppieters.nz/?p=333

• Expected result:

Panel…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Scale Tool Crash

When using the "Scale Tool", every 4 or 5 times or so the app freezes at the dialog box and there's no way to exit. You have to force quit the app and hope that your work is autosaved. Unacceptable and only started happening recently.

InDesign 15.1.1 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6

HELP!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Publish Online feature has issues when viewed in iOS 13

We are using the "Publish Online" feature inside Adobe Indesign to make some of our content available on our website. We've recently received reports from users with Apple iOS 13 mobile devices that the content is not displaying properly on those types of mobile phones. When the content first opens, if you double tap the page zooms in ok and double tapping again zooms out ok. However, if you try to pinch/zoom, the page blows up very large such that you can only see a couple words and you cannot pinch to get back out. Sometimes double-tapping again takes it…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Menu item "Convert footnotes and endnotes" missing

Although my software is up to date, the option "Convert footnotes to endnotes" is missing from my "Type" menu item (image). The interface is in portuguese, but you can see there are only four itens on the footnote/endnote area, the fifth ("Convert footnote to endnote") is really missing...
    I tried unistalling and installing InDesign again from Creative Cloud but it didn´t solve this issue. This menu item is also unavailable on Edit>Menus...
    System: Windows 10 / 64 bits
    Adobe Indesign (2020): 15.1.1 x64

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Some spreads gone grey and only export as blank pages in 15.1.1

I have a 48-page magazine about to go to print and three spreads have suddenly gone grey - as you see in screenshot. In the Pages panel they appear blank and when I export them - also blank. Getting worried...

Separately, the "Fit Page/Spread in Window" instead zooms in to 2,642% magnification.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Mouse very slow during mail merge

When exporting to a PDF using Indesign Mail Merge, the mouse is very slow, even if in other programs. That makes the computer unusable during export of large PDF's.

I found that only when the Windows Task Manager is on the front, the mouse acts normal again, but when I the Task Manager loses focus, the mouse is slow again.

We have this problem on our Windows PC's. On my Mac it works fine.

We use the latest Indesign (15.0.1)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign crashing when you try and copy and paste with GPU turned on

InDesign crashing when you try and copy and paste with GPU turned on. Turned off works normally

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.1.1(v15.1.1.103) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Placed PDFs that contain hyperlinks when exported to PDF, links are removed

InDesign 15.1.1
    macOS Majave
    Acrobat Version (Architecture: x86_64
    Build: 20.9.20067.384717
    AGM: 4.30.101
    CoolType: 5.14.5
    JP2K: 1.2.2.46033)
    ========= END SYSTEM INFO ========

Step 1: Open Indesign and place the "Placed PDF.pdf" file on a page
    Step 2: Export the PDF using Adobe PDF Presets (High Quality) select Hyperlinks checkbox on export and save
    Step 3: Open exported PDF and put mouse over hyperlink that was present in document from Step 1.

Expected Result: would expect the hyperlink to remain clickable when exported from originating PDF

Actual Result: hyperlink was removed on export and is no longer clickable :( See attached document…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Share for Review

Share for Review does not seem to be working even after another update.

I sent an invitation by "Invite Only". My client received an email with a link and the only 2 options available for my client are "Sign in with an Adobe ID" – 99% of my clients will not HAVE or NEED an Adobe ID.

The second option is "Enter a password if one has been shared with you." Unfortunately, I was not given the option to set up a password. However, when posting publicly I could.

And lastly, when I update the file (link), there was no…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Share for Review access settings - Public Link not available

I am trying to use the new Share for Review option. As outlined here, I should be able to switch the access options from invitation only to public which should give me the option to have people without an Adobe account review the content by simply inputting a password for access. However, I cannot switch from invitation only to public as I simply have the invitation only option as a fixed option and no dropdown to choose from. Is there an option somewhere that I need to enable first so I can publicly share these files for review? As of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. InDesign crashes when exporting file to jpg

No matter which file I try, when I try to export an InDesign file to jpg, the program crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2020.1.1(v15.1.1.103) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Open more than one InDesign file

InDesign gets really slow after opening more than one document at a time

The Problem ist, that the Users can open more than one but InDesign get slower an slower, till you have to wait a couple of minutes until you can work on the selected item.
    If we kill the InDesign Process via. TaskMananger an reopen the document, everythings works fine, but this can't be the final solution.
    The problem happens in aller InDesign 15 Versions.
    There ist no performance issue on the Win10 Computers. The Computer is running on 50-70%.
    Anyone got the same Problem and have a…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Variable Fonts don't display correct via PDF export

I'm very excited to see variable fonts in InDesign, thank you!

However, when using variable fonts in an InDesign document, exported PDFs show overlaps (as in the crossbar of /A), as well as inconsistent stem weights, spacing, and alignments in various glyphs. These issues occur in multiple variable fonts I've tested.

If I use static fonts or convert fonts to outlines using Type > Create Outlines these issues don't show up. These issues are present when viewing PDFs in both Acrobat and Preview (see screenshots attached). These variable fonts work fine in web browsers and other applications that support variable…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. BUG with master text frames, master pages and "allow pages to shuffle"

Hello,

Latest Indesign CC on Windows 10 64bits.

I have a document, with a master page template applied to all pages in the document. There are master text frames inside the master page template, perfectly aligned with the margins on each left, and right page. In my master page template, I have set up the following margins for left pages :

top : 46pt
    bottom : 46pt
    outside : 56pt
    inside : 46pt

And the right pages margins set up as follow :

top : 46pt
    bottom : 46pt
    outside : 46pt
    inside : 46pt

On the left pages, I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Id crashes on old file

I had to open and save some larger old ID-documents from 2014. Id 15.1 crashed 3 or 4 times, and because I really needed to work with those files I reinstalled 15.0.3 which runs a lot smoother on those docs.

Also there's still an old bug: after starting up Id, press CMD-o to open some Id-file, doesn't do anything. I have to choose the File menu and choose 'Open...'. After 1 file has been opened like this, the key combination CMD-o functions from now on. Until you close down Id and start it up again...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Very Slow Performance

Very Slow Performance

Yes, InDesign is extremely slow today 2020-06-19, almost unusable, even many months after being discovered.
    The most worrying is that it seems that this bug was discovered in September 2019.

As David wrote 2019-09-04: “Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time”.

Behaviour:
    > InDesign freezes, and my cursor starts spinning around (CPU jumps to 95-98%) for almost 30-45 seconds before I can continue with next command.
    > The behaviour is random, but when it starts working slow, then it continues. It usually happens when I open…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base