Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Accessibility and data merge

Windows 10, ID 14.0.2 (2019), Acrobat Pro DC 2019.012.20036.
    Using Data Merge to create many pages of text from a large Excel file. Each row produces two pages. I have set up all the tags, reading order, bookmarks etc for the file but they are not reproduced for subsequent pages. When testing in Acrobat, the screen reader only reads the first two pages. There are no tags or bookmarks for subsequent pages. Can this be resolved?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ellipses not found by Find/Replace

Version of Adobe InDesign
    14.0.2 x64

Steps to reproduce the issues
    1. Placed a Word document. Reformatted etc - lots of work done.
    2. Tried to Find/Replace all ellipses to ensure they have a Thin Space before and after. InDesign Find/Replace finds no ellipses (but I am looking at them, having already replaced three periods with ellipses throughout the document).
    3. Tested in a new document - problem does not occur there. But it does if I paste the text from the previous document in.
    4. Tried exporting to IDML and re-opening to remove any corruption. This made no difference. …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Find/Change | Object | Selection | Won't change colour if in a group

Hi. I think I might have found a bug.

Find/Change | Object | Selection | Won't change colour if in a group.
    (It works if 'Search' is set to Document.)

1.png
    Shows a test. I want to change the Yellow to Red.

2.png
    Shows the top group colour not changing if 'Search | Section' is chosen

3.png
    Shows both colours changing to Red if 'Search | Document' is chosen

Can this be fixed please, or an option to Change Items in a group f it was a 'Feature'.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Extendscript hangs CC2019 (14.0.2) on macOS

Code below works fine on Windows and CC 2018 on Mac. But CC 2019 Mac it hangs the app once clicking the OK button in window 2. I've tried three different Macs including Mojave and High Sierra. All the same result. Pretty sure it's not just me. This bug has broken a number of my scripts that present a secondary window for saving settings.

var w1 = new Window("dialog", "Window 1");
    var btnOpenWindow2 = w1.add("button", undefined, "Open Window 2");
    var btnOk1 = w1.add("button", undefined, "OK");
    btnOpenWindow2.onClick = function () {
    openWindow2();
    };
    btnOk1 = function () {
    w1.close();
    };
    w1.show(); …

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign to InCopy Layout Malfunction

My company's graphics department develops scientific posters, and as a writer, I often have to make small adjustments to the text and am only given access to edit through InCopy (using version 14.0.2). This problem does not happen with every poster, but I often find that the whole frame of the poster is shifted when I open the assignments file in InCopy (please see example photos). I'm able to make my edits, but I can't export to a PDF without having the bleed, header, etc. shifted as I see it in InCopy. Our graphics department thinks this is a bug…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Indesign performance issue : Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Resized vectors not displaying properly in high quality display mode on drag

14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10

Steps:
    1. High Quality display mode (default settings)
    2. Place any EPS vector file.
    3. Attempt to resize it while holding ctrl-shift to maintain ratios.

Expected result:
    The vector file, resized.

Actual result:
    Grey box. I have to zoom in or out to get the screen to "refresh" and show the correct image.

Similar issue happens with placed AI file. Very simple, clearly. Just a triangle. Made in the latest version of Illustrator.

The Youtube button is an EPS.

Related: If I use the option "Greek Vector Graphics on Drag" it performs correctly, only now…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Data merge should work better with % - empty fields

when working with factsheets it occurs that there are fields of text that need to be merged. Whenever there is a special character the function doesn't work. This is very very very annoying. It is quite common to use % in text, or brackets (like this)

Also it should be possible to have a blank cell in the excel merge file. E.g. for 45 lines there is info, but for 1 there isn't. This should be able to be left blank and not obliged to fill in a 0 that you manually need to delete later on.

Merging happens for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Shortcut CMD + S increasing the file size.

Files created within InDesign are increasing in size dramatically with every CMD + S.

It is not the files linked in the document which are 100 % to the ration they are seen and resetting the cache ~/Library>Caches> Adobe Indesign does not have any effect.

macOS Mojave
    Version 10.14.5

InDesign CC 2019

To test this we have created a quick document with an Adobe Support Technician Saptam (see image-01). This document is 1.5 MB and when the design elements have been deleted and the file saved CMD +S you can see the file size doesn't go down (see image-02).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versios

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. crashes while exporting with long file names

My InDesign Seems to crash every time I try to export a file to pdf with a filename that is longer than 40 characters. We have to have the file names this long due to our naming conventions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Anchored item with white overprints

This is a 'white' bug.

I regularly use anchoring to keep items aligned and for spacing.
    Text is black. Art or tables need white in them to knockout the shade beneath.

When a table is placed inline or a piece of art is anchored in a text box that has a color or a border... the white is ignored in the anchored object.

There is no reason to ignore a color just because it is inline or anchored.

This bug forces me to layer the object on a different layer, causing extra work in keeping the item aligned after edits.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change

I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change. Say I need to add one letter, after doing so the ball has to spin 10 times until i can do anything else. This is extremely time consuming and is wasting my time when I have to wait 2 minutes after any tiny change before I can make another. I have seen others posting issues about this over a year ago. All fixes people have suggested do nothing for me. Please help.
    In reading that it could be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Font Issue In Adobe InDesign version 14.0.1

Currently encountering an error within InDesign where certain fonts are displaying a explination mark and not working correctly. However, they appear as installed when using InDesign (please see attached)

The current workaround is to re-link the fonts to InDesign. Is there a known fix for this issue? Windows 10, InDesign version 14.0.1

Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bad optical kerning for superscript "4"

When a superscript "4" follows a closing smart quotation mark, optical kerning is set to -60 or -70 depending on font. This is too close (basically a crash).

This is annoying for books with lots of endnotes, where superscript numbers usually follow quotation marks.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Crash on deleting duplicated XML tag

Indesign CC 2019 (Version 14.0.1)
    Mac OS Mojave on Mac mini (Late 2014)

Hello, I have a document ready to import XML data, with existing XML structure and tagged elements in page.
    Afterwards I import XML data into XML structure and then duplicate (copy and paste) text frame that contains a table with an image placed into a cell table.
    If I try to delete resulting duplicated XML tag, application crashes.
    Same result if I duplicate (copy and paste) XML tag directly.

These are the steps:

1) Open document with prepared XML structure and tagged elements in page.
    2) Import…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bugs with GPU, Bugs without GPU (zoom, moving objects, create text)

(Working on Adobe InDesign 14.0.2.)

Hi there,

so for a couple of weeks, my Indesign behaves quite badly.
    For demonstration purposes, I created a new blank file but these bugs also occur in existing work projects.

Case 1: GPU switched on (Image: GPU on):
    Zooming does not show any effect, only when I click in and change something. The rulers change, but my board/document is not zooming in (Video: Zooming with GPU). As soon as I found my page, the objects don't really move that well, more in a lagging, stocking way. (Video: Moving Objects with GPU).

This leads to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign crashes on launch with Faulty module "PMRuntime" unless launched as Administrator or Creative Cloud Application

Issue: InDesign CC will not open from the Start Menu unless "Run as administrator" is selected. This is not an option for standard users.

It will open OK from the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Event viewer log is generated showing the following:
    Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version 13.1.0.76
    Faulting module name: PMRuntime.dll, version 5.0.0.191

Version: InDesign CC 2018, 13.1.076
    Also occurs with version 12.1.0.56
    Windows OS: Windows 10, version 1803 (Build 17134.165)

Select InDesign CC from the start menu. The application does not open and no messages appear. Check Event Viewer > Application to see the error.

There…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

20. Renaming an object layer by double-clicking is tedious - sometimes non-responsive

When working with layers, select an object, then double click the name to rename, it takes multiple clicks and a delay of several seconds before the name field becomes editable. Why? I don't see any other way to rename the object layer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base