Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Save window file name AND extension are highlighted by default.

Before upgrading to Catalina, when I go to save a file or export the name of the file will be highlighted.

I can then tap the right arrow and the cursor (blinking line) will go to the end of the file name but BEFORE the file extension.

But after upgrading to Catalina, the file name AND the file extension are both highlighted by default so when pressing the arrow key, the cursor goes to the end AFTER the file extension.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Paragraph style bullets and numbering Arabic incorrect display Indesign 2020

Latest Indesign 2020
    When specifying an Arabic string for Number in paragraph style Bullets and Numbering, the string does not display correctly. Every letter is connected to the letter to the right rather than the letter to the left.

The wrong behavior is not present in Indesign 2019.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. indesign inside indesign error CMYK on PDF exporting

Problem in inDesign v15. Previous versión works fine

I use huge indesign files (wen name it A) inside a indesign file(we can name it B), is cool feature that optimice our workflow. After update, everythink looks working well but when we exporte print file in PDFx1a Format we experiment problems on RGB->CMYK conversión on images os "A"file, when we export from "B" file. But it work fine if we export on the original "A" source file. Some similar issues are detected, leaving space in white or low, strange white image file as described on attach file.

Not very sure if…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Print thumbnails to postscript — file unusable

When I print thumbnails [or a booklet] to a postscript file, InDesign 15.0.2 creates the file, but it cannot be read in either Preview or Acrobat.

You need to allow for a useable PS/PDF export for sharing thumbnails or booklets with colleagues who do not use InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign and Acrobat conflict

I just installed InDesign 2020 15.0. When I try to export a file to PDF I get an error message saying that file is already open, which it is not. Closing Adobe Acrobat and reopening doesn't solve issue, only restarting InDesign does. Hugely inconvenient. I have not been prompted to upgrade Acrobat and I never had that problem with earlier InDesign versions.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Indesign crashes after copying text

Indesign crashes immediately after copying text. It seems that this only happens with formatted text. If I separate the text box from the paragraph format, I can copy the text. But that is very time consuming and annoying. When I open Indesign again, it crashes immediately. And when I finally managed to open the file again and click on "Paragraph format" in the sidebar, Indesign freezes. The bug has occurred since the last 2-3 versions of Indesign and I hope that the bug will be fixed with every new one. Unfortunately, this did not happen.

Indesign 15.0.2
    MacOS: 10.15.3

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. home

Delete the new "home button" (located next to the "file" button) in Indesign, or turn it into an optional feature.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Suddenly my document reverts to an earlier version

Ever since I updated Adobe InDesign to version 15.0.1, my current document suddenly reverts to a state from several minutes prior. All of my recent changes are gone, up to ten minutes, and they are not even available under Edit > Redo.

I've started saving more often now. Recently, this problem happened again. It suddenly went back to an earlier state than I had last saved, so I closed without saving, reopened, and the file was exactly in the state I expected, which was a LATER state than my document had reverted itself to (thank goodness), but not where I…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. unasked for font changes in 15.0.2

It isn't so much an idea as a major problem. I upgraded to 15.0.2 yesterday and now fonts are being changed involuntarily and when I go into find font, I can't change them back. The names say they are there but the file looks like ****. I've gone back to InDesign CC 2019 to work, because I am completely stuck in CC 2020.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please make Adobe App Shortcuts compatible with Antivirus/Adware/Security software

I suddenly was seeing the "Space Bar Won't enable Hand Tool" problem that's been a plague for years. A few weeks ago, I installed AdGuard for Safari and Mac. I've been happy with it's ad blocking - but this was the culprit for the problem of the Space Bar not invoking the Hand Too, AND for Command+Space not invoking zoom. I've turned off the helpful ad blocker, and I can use my Adobe Apps (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign were all affected).
    After all these years, PLEASE fix these apps so that our computers can remain usable and safe while still having…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. InDesign 2020 Middle Eastern, Arabic language causes reversed numbers order

When working with Arabic and wanting to have Roman Digits, one needs to choose the "Arabic" digits option.
    More option that should be set for Arabic are:
    Character direction should be set to "default"
    Paragraph direction should be set to "Right to Left"
    Paragraph composer should be set to "Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer"
    Language should be set to "Arabic"
    Ligatures should be "On"

BUT
    If I type a date that suppose to be presented like this:
    9/1/2020
    as soon as selecting "Arabic" for language the order is reversed to this:
    2020/1/9

As digits has a built in Left to Right…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Save functions unavailable

I'm using a Mac and running Catalina, have ID 2020. Yesterday, an existing file of 33 pages stopped allowing me to save it. I had no idea it wasn't saving and lost hours worth of work by the time I realized what was happening. I tried starting a new document and pasting the text into it, but same problem. I started a new document again and it allowed me to save immediately, but the second I dropped in text (different text this time), I lost the ability to save the file. I can export to PDF or IDML, but cannot…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Linked AI / vector file previews with jagged bezier curves when rotated 90 degrees

Bezier curve of linked AI file previews as jagged/tangent straight lines when rotated 90 degrees. Looks fine at all other angles.

Linked file is saved as AI 2020.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have verified this issue using customer document.Issue is reproducible in InDesign’s 15.0.2 and 14.0.3 versions.
    We will update this thread once we have proper fix for this issue.

Workaround:
    Please switch to CPU rendering and change display performance to typical.

17. Extensions isn't working on the last Indesign versions

Using Indesign 2019 or 2020 on the MacOS, trying to install any extension, opening the menu Window > Extensions > Selecting an extension: nothing happens.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. next page doesn't work

Hi there,

When inserting Type=>Special Characters=>Marker=>Next page InDesign inserts the CM marker which is the current page. Consequently where I need the next page number to appear it displays the current page number.

Kind regards
    Mike Howell

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The text frame containing the Next Page Number Marker has to just touch the text frame and the correct page number gets picked. No need to link the text frames together. Just the fact that it touches the text frame will make it automatically pick the correct next page number that the text flows to in the document.

Hope that helps.

Adobe InDesign team

19. Adobe Fonts don´t load

Adobe Fonts don´t load. When I click to activate a font it changes icon to "activating" but it never activates.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Change font without changing style

Assume that I have selected some text which contains instances of bold, italic, or other "styles" (not INDD "styles," but variations of a typeface within a specific font family).

In previous versions of InDesign, I used to be able to change the typeface of the selected text, and maintain all instances of bold, italic, etc. In newer versions of InDesign, this is only possible when I navigate to the new font family by scrolling through the menu; when I search for a font family, I am presented with only the specific members of the family, not the family itself. This…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base