Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign CC 2018/High Sierra - Cannot package files

Since updating to High Sierra I am not able to package files. The error message is simply "Unable to package the document. InDesign cannot access '(file name'.indd).

I am using InDesign CC 13.0.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Don't know if this is of any use or not, but also if I try using my bulk packaging script, the error I get is "undefined is not an object (line 186)

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

107 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    The issue has been fixed with Apple’s MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E139).

You can try out the fix by updating your machine to the beta update from Apple.
    Let us know if the issue is fixed for you after aforementioned High Sierra beta update.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

2. ^t

In InDesign, when I use the ^t shortcut to get the type control panel, I lock up and then have to go to Task Manager and close InDesign. (InDesign 14.0.1 x64, Windows 10 Enterprise Version: 1803)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Can't move multiple objects after 14.0.1 of Indesign. And it's sloooowww!

Trying to move multiple objects, mostly boxes of type. One or several items does not move although selected. Upon undo and trying to move again, other objects doesn't move. And it has gotten so slow but that might be after Mojave 10.14.3 and not Adobe :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign won't import Microsoft Word Equations, even as graphics

Take the following word file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sta1b2iqhtx72if/basic%20word%20fail.docx?dl=0
    it contains two equations that I've highlighted in the original.png file so their locations can be identified (I've only done this to the screen capture, they're not highlighted in the word file).
    Now, place this word file into InDesign and the result as shown in result.png is that the equations are missing.
    The version of Word used is Microsoft Word for Mac 16.16.11 (190609) but I'm sure the same thing will happen from Word for Windows

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Swatches panel locked in Adobe InDesign CC 2017 Win 10

When editing colours into the swatches panel, the entire panel will be blocked, the colours greyed-out. After having deleted the cache it's OK for a moment, but the problem re-appears regularly. In the specification panel the colours can be nevertheless selected. Who knows the solution to this problem?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Indesign CC2019 (oct) - "Do you want to save changes to "-/*TempScratchDocument*/-" on close

Indesign 14.0.1 x64, german, Windows8 as "Admin"

On closing Indesign with its "×" button, a dialog popped up asking:

Do i wanna save changes to "-/TempScratchDocument/-", Yes | No | Cancel.

This is the first time i have this error. I can not recreate it. Prior to the error i did: made some changes to an open documents spellchecking and hyphenisation settings. I also edited a paragraph format in the doc to use Duden instead of Proximity as Spellchecking/Hyphenisation. I let it re-calculate the flow of the document and saved the document. I closed the doc ument and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ctrl + Tab Keyboard Shortcut Bug

I tried to assign "Ctrl"+"Tab" to "Window Next" (to get the same shortcut as OS-default) but Indesign seems not to do anything when hitting this shortcut. When assigning other shortcuts to the same action it works.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Loading icon animation

The spinning icon dots are off-centred and rotate awkwardly. It's only visible briefly, but looks clumsy in a premium app.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Indesign CC2018 crashes on Cmd-V

I'm working on my masters and using a Split Window to copy and paste text from the same document into a list of references. Cmd-V crashes Indesign. With no warning, or hang, it literally shows me the desktop, no save, nothing. Thankfully auto recover sorts it out, but this is something Adobe needs to look at. I can't tell if there is anything special about the text other than it was a web link and had a paragraph style.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. paragraph lines don't fit rounded frame-line

When using rounded corners on textframes, paragraph-lines don't fit to the right frame.
    We use it with 0,5-pt-framelines and there is a small distance between both lines.
    Depending on typesize (and perhaps on other parameters), the distance has different measures.
    InDesignCC (14.0.2) / OSX HighSierra (10.13.6)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Menu Items Opens Webpage to Buy InDesign

Indesign CC 2019
    Multiple clicks on menu items with the same results.
    When clicking on menu items the menu item should appear.
    When clicking on Type>Tabs, About InDesign opens a webpage (see attached) to buy Indesign. Each menu item goes to the same webpage. First time I have had this happen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe

Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe :

Hello, just like this guy below :

Help! Unable to activate fonts InDesign 2019

I can't sync fonts on indesign from Adobe Fonts. Nothing works. Tried everything.

Tried syncing them from the Adobe Font website, tried in Indesign, uninstalled all indesign versions, restarted preferences, uninstalled adobe cloud.

tried everything,

Deactivating fonts on adobe font website, reactivating them. Doing the same in the cloud app. No fix.

FONTS HAVING ISSUES : Source Sans pro, Open Sans, League Gothic, Fire Sans , Fire Sans 2.

The error message is : "unable to sync one…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve seen this issue happen when you have the same Font already installed on your machine.

So you may try going to where your Fonts are installed on Windows machine – (Control panel > Fonts) and uninstall/remove the Fonts that you are unable to Sync from Adobe Fonts.

Hopefully, the problem should get resolved.

Adobe InDesign team

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Inaccessible URL Link in preflight panel

Inaccessible URL link option in Preflight panel is not working after implementing Adobe CC version. It was working in CS5 but in all CC version still CC 2019 is not working.

For Digital purpose we need this option. I attached screen shot for your reference

In the attached screen shot there is one dead link it shows red color in Hyperlink window, but the indesign preflight panel shows No Error. If its working properly mean it need to be show error

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. indesign 2019 crashing upon being opened

as soon as i open indesign 2019, it freezes before i can do anything. i have to force quit, but it it doesn't fix it. it still happens every time. i've resorted back to using indesign 2018.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Endnotes in text flow - Not on a separate page

Import endnotes as plain text in the text flow. NOT on a separate page! How hard is this to understand? I groom text in one document and then copy and paste the magazine article/book chapter into another Indesign file. I can't do this if you put the endnotes in a separate text flow. It's really terrible! Dynamic notes has just been a complete failure!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Adobe Fonts wont load

Hello,

While creating a document I was trying to discover a new font. I clicked Fonts > Find More and where a list of adobe fonts usually pops up, I got nothing. I tried creating a new text box, signing in and out of adobe, and closing / opening the document.

Attached please find a screen grab of the issue.

I'd love an assist if possible.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign Performance issue: Lag in reflowing of text in a document with large number of footnotes

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)
    macOS Sierra
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
    16gb Ram
    Indesign 14.0.1

Reflowing Bug when Resizing Text Box with Footnotes. As you can see in the video, the following page turns blank when I resize a text box to fit more content. Also, every I do this, the lag is noticeable. I tried with InDesign CC2018 and its more responsive.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

19. export

When exporting a PDF, the progress bar has two frames reversed. As the progress bar moves downwards, it goes from leaving the four bottom lines filled, to the bottom three, bottom two, then an empty bar, then one bar filled. Those last two frames are out of order.

InDesign CC 2019 v14.0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Variable chapter number

The variable 'chapter number' gives a problem, wherever it is used it is represented as '1'.
    Because chapter numbers and paragraph numbers are not included in the Continuous header, it is useful if it can be displayed separately.
    Is it possible to include this numbering in the variable in the future (as an option)?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base