Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6508 results found

1. When flowing text in multiple textboxes, Object Styles settings are ignored

1. Indesign 13.0.1 OSX
    2. Create an object style and set it as the default for new Text Frames. Create a new Text Frame. Click on the linking box at the corner and hold down alt to link the Text Frame to a number of new TF's. Draw a number of new linked TF's with the alt key pressed.
    3. All Text Frames should have the Object Style set as default
    4. The new TF's have an OS of [None]
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    This has been the behaviour since the beginning. See the link https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/object-styles.html where it states “This category is applicable only if the object is an unthreaded text frame.”

Please let us know any use-cases where this can be beneficial so that we can process this as a “Feature modification request”

You can ctrl(cmd)+a in a text frame and then apply the paragraph style as a workaround.
    -Aman

2. indesign cc2018 - IDML EXPORT INCORRECTLY

indesign cc2018 - IDML EXPORT INCORRECTLY
    Some paragraph and text format was changed

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. .Indd files look like their opening, but they and the controls are not displaying in Indd. Just missing.

.Indd files look like their opening, the application seems to think it's open, but they and the controls are not displaying in Indd. It's just missing. It happens with any Indd file. No error. It just wont' open, but you can see the temporary file in the folder showing it's open, and it asks me if I want to save it when I go to quit. I just reinitialized my computer last weekend and reinstalled CC.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Font Weight Not Changing

In the Character panel often it is not possible to change a font weight from Regular to Bold for example. I have to go in the font menu and select the font specifically.

Also, in the character panel the menu to change weights does not change anymore when I select a different font. For example: Metropilis Black becomes Calibri Black (which does not exist).

Clearing caches and trashing preferences does not help.

Happens on different machines, Mac Pro at home and different iMacs at work / CC 2018 InDesign 13.01

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Fast save is taking 37 seconds

I imported a Word file that has a lot of linked footnotes into InDesign 2018. Spread by spread, I touch each paragraph to fix overrides. There is no reflow of text when I do this step. Yet when I do a plain "save" before going to the next spread, InDesign is taking 37 seconds to save. 37 seconds of watching the rainbow spin. InDesign is acting like it is reflowing every page in the background as it quick saves. That should not be necessary. The last time I experienced this type of slowness was back in the PageMaker days. The…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Stroke Alignment Changes Shape Size

InDesign 13.0.1

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Create a shape (Rectangle, Circle, Polygon)
    2. Add stroke to shape
    3. Change stroke alignment

Expected Result:
    - Stroke changes alignment to what the user set (inside, outside, centered).

Actual Result:
    - Shape size (and bounding box) change, while stroke remains aligned inside the bounding box.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The stroke is always shown inside the bounding box for all three types of stroke alignments. But if you check the size of the object, it will be different for different stroke alignments.
    For example, if you have a square of 100 pt x 100 pt with a 20 pt stroke weight aligned to Center, its W & H = 120 pt. Similarly for the same square, if the stroke is aligned to Inside, its W & H = 100 pt while for stroke aligned to Outside, its W & H = 140 pt.

This is how it has been designed.

8. InDesign CC 2018 macOS High Sierra - BUG FIX REQUEST - Text Variable File Extension

Steps: TYPE/ TEXT VARIABLE/ DEFINE/ FILE NAME/ EDIT / Select or de-select "Include File Extension"

Expected results: Should be able to add or remove file extension by select or de-selecting the "Include File Extension" check box.

Actual results: File extension cannot be removed by un-checking the "Include File Extension" box, when adding a text variable under the File name field... See attached...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. page not displayed

I am editing a long document (over 300 pages). Several non-consecutive spreads are displaying blank. When I change screen mode from normal to preview, it displays the content correctly. The same happens if I change Display Performance prom Typical to either Fast display or High Quality Display.
    Also selecting all the text (ctrl+A) takes more than 5 seconds. The same operation in MS Word is instant.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. PDF Exporting Issue - Linked EPS wrong color

When exporting files created w/ Id CC 2018 13.0.1, some linked eps files appear in the PDF in a totally incorrect color. I've tried embedding the files and saving as an interactive PDF, to no avail. This has happened with multiple docs . Given this issue, I'm rendered unable to print any of my projects. Any insight appreciated!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Dialog Box Disappears

From time to time the Move dialogue box will not show up when called using the hotkey Shift-Command-M. InDesign then thinks a dialogue box is open and will not perform other tasks. You cannot exit the phantom dialogue box with escape. You cannot save your document. You cannot quit InDesign without manually force quitting.

I am on Mac High-Sierra OS 10.13.1 (17B1003) and the latest Creative Cloud version of InDesign. I have had this happen on multiple computers and on multiple versions of InDesign.

I do not have multiple monitors - however, I do use the Spaces function on the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When stepping an repeating

Not really a bug, but would make more sense to put the dimensions before the number to step or have it default to a blank palette every time. If the values exceed the page then it automatically converts it back to the previous numbers. While it's an easy fix, it is still frustrating. Still, indd by far one of my faves of all time. Very artist friendly!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Disappearing panels

Sometimes, when switching applications then back to InDesign, some of the panels are turned off. One that's particularly annoying is the Swatches panel. It doesn't always do it but when it does it's really annoying having to open it back up again.

Resetting InDesign preferences doesn't fix it.

This only seems to affect one Mac that's running El Capitan. We have others that are also on the same version of OS and same version of InDesign that don't do this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Pasteboard size difference between CC 2017 and 2018 causes page view jump

This occurs when I begin to work on a document that was made in a previous version of InDesign, which by default had smaller top and bottom pasteboard margins. The first actual action I perform on a spread — not just clicking; something like moving an object, editing text and deselecting the text box, or creating a new object — causes the pasteboard to increase in size vertically to what I presume is the new default, which also causes the page view itself to jump down. This only happens on the active spread. This also produces a graphical error if…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details. We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Outside aligned strokes are buggy

After outlining text, putting an outside or inside stroke on it produces odd results. It seems it aligns to the absolute outside of the object, rather than the edges like it does in other Adobe programs. I've attached an example of what adding an outside stroke to an outlined 'e' looks like in both Indesign and Ilustrator looks like. This seems to effect any object that has a section cut out.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. adobe color theme

Version of Adobe InDesign : 13
    Steps to reproduce the issues

1 - create a new document
    2 - Import or draw something
    3 - Select element you want to move or made a snippet
    4 - move them to the Adobe color Theme panel and drop.

Expected result : a sound like other pannels
    Actual result : The Snippet code will be displayed in the Adobe Color Theme panel.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. cannot click through InDesign to desktop or other apps after using Mission Control's window exposé feature in macOS

It seems that after using Mission Control to thumbnail all open windows, InDesign no longer allows me to click onto other application windows that I can see underneath InDesign. So If I click on any window or desktop item visible, I get caught switching to InDesign, almost as though there's an invisible window still open and becoming activated. I can be in another app, try to click to my desktop, and it'll switch over to InDesign instead.

Currently using InDesign CC v 13.0.1
    macOS 10.12.6

If I quit InDesign and relaunch, it'll work again for a while. I think until…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Dragging the zero point to a new location will not work in rotated spreads

If you rotated a spread view and you want to move the zero point from the origin to a different location the landing point is never the one you dragged the cross-hairs of the rulers to.

It needs a sophisticated script that will workaround this bug. Currently I'm writing one, that should overcome this issue.

Nevertheless, that should be fixed.

Watch the movie clip where I like to drag the zero point to a new loaction and always fail.

Regards,
    Uwe

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Cannot Pan/Scroll with WACOM pen in Open/Save/Place file dialogue windows.

Cannot Pan/Scroll with Wacom pen in Open/Save/Place type file dialogue windows in mmany if not all of Adobe apps (where every other non-Adobe app I know of does, Apple and other 3rd parties), obviously this pertains to when you've mapped a Wacom pen button to pan/scroll to use in that manner (Wacom settings screen attached).

What should happen is being able to interact similar to touch omnidirectional swiping which includes vertical mouse-like scrolling when pressing the button and making contact with the pen, as would be expected and Wacom designed it to do.

What instead happens: Adobe apps interpret this…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Open Sans

Open Sans not working in Indesign 13.0.1. Have cleared font cache, reinstalled clean font from google and still it doesn't recognise it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base