Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6588 results found

1. Word dividing

Indesign 14.0.1
    Indesing is not able to divide word which is including "(" or ")".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Fermeture du logiciel INDESIGN avec l'outil Ligne

Crash with the lign tool and arrow
    Indesign 14.0.1

steps to reproduce the issues :
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15ccJfKeoi1dw3gDSCZ-jcjhNdT9qPkkm?usp=sharing

best regards,

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Packaging files problem with CS6 and High Sierra 10.13.6

I am using CS6 and since upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.6 I can't package files. Error message 'Cannot copy necessary linked file(s). There are 250 linked images I need to package. Please can you tell me what I need to do to fix it?
    Many thanks. Tony

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Cannot delete blue/teal guides

Have no problem creating guides but cannot get rid of them once they are in place. I've tried every suggestion I could find on the internet in addition to restarting my computer, updating the software, etc etc etc and nothing will work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Go back to old method of "space after" paragraphs

I'm fine with the concept of allowing users to adjust the "spacing between paragraphs using same style." But the way this feature was added doesn't make sense: I think you should have left the old "space after" system the way it was, and allowed users to add the "spacing between paragraphs using same style" box as an extra option. The way you set it up (unless I'm misunderstanding something), anyone wanting to put spacing between paragraphs now has to enter data into two boxes, whether they want certain sections to have custom spacing or not. It makes the "spacing between…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Crash when searching for column break

Indesign 2018 crashes when searching for column break (~M) – with Find/Change dialog box or via script. It works for me with CC 2017. Not yet tested with CC2019.

The document with 500 pages was newly created with CC2018. It was tested with several computers, always with the same result.

Example document can be downloaded here: https://adobe.ly/2SGVPsy.

Happens in CS6, CC 2019 as well.

Find/Change for Column Break in GREP tab of Find/Change crashes InDesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-Aman

7. convert

Click "convert" to open this document..... doesn't do anything!!

The error message then tells you "You are not currently signed in to the
    CC (which I already am). Please go to Help- > Sign In and enter your Adobe ID. Restart InDesign, then try opening the document again."

Performing this action does nothing, the error never goes away, you just go in circles.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. existing file size won't change > InDesign CC 2019

Today I noticed that if I use an existing file > save as new file name > then change document set up (size) the document says it's the correct size but it is not!

After creating a PDF, I checked the file data and the size was not correct! Did this 7-8 times to make sure it wasn't a user error. Being that I do 100's of print ads a month, this is a HUGE issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

9. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. English:UK spelling currently not picking up US spellings 'ize', 'izing'

InDesign is not currently detecting US spellings that use 'ize' in text that is set as 'English: UK'. (example 'organize'). We have checked to make sure there are no local overrides, such as paragraph or character styles set to 'English: USA' (there aren't), and that the undetected spelling has not been added to the custom dictionary (they haven't been). Failure to pick up 'ize' spellings is a departure from previous behaviour and is quite problematic for our workflow. Other US English spellings (such as 'behavior') are being detected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign 14.1

Opening InDesign just by itself makes it freeze completely. Ball of death (on Mac) .
    It asks me if I want to start automatic recovery however I can't click on any of the options because the ball of death doesn't let me. The window with the recovery message consequently shows up on top of any other screen.

I could make InDesign work ONCE yesterday after restarting and today it completely crashes again. Unfortunately it also means one of my files is now stuck 'open' which is untimely.
    This is the latest verstion both of InDesign as well as Mac OS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. numbers being added to end of toc

Bug issue: about midway through my toc headings, the page headers are getting the page number plus 20 added to the end of it. See screenshots. I've replaced the text, removed and reapplied styling. You'd think it'd apply to the whole group, but it's just this section. Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него

Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него на рабочей области. Один и тот же текст выглядит в рабочей области и вне рабочей по разному. В рабочей области невозможно редактировать текст. (((

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign CC1019 - Import function of PDF comments on graphics are incorrect

Step 1: Export PDF x4 from ID 14.0.1
    Step 2: Correction of the PDF file with Acrobat DC 2019.008.20080
    Step 3: Import PDF comments into ID file from before (ID 14.0.1)

Comments within graphics are not clearly assignable after import in InDesign.

In Acrobat or Acrobat Reader, the corrections are displayed correctly

If in PDF text corrections to graphics are marked with the PDF correction function, they will not be displayed completly when importing to InDesign. Or these are displayed in the wrong position.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. GREP "Any Double Quotation Marks" wildcard not working as expected

Version: CC (14.0.1.209)

While using InDesign's Find/Change GREP feature:

The following GREP query wont find the matching string even if it exists in the document: (Any White Space) followed by (Any Double Quotation Marks) followed by (Any Uppercase Letter)

\s"[A-Z]

This should find any white space followed by any double quotation mark followed by any uppercase letter, however it shows no match.

The following GREP searches will work, but when combined they do not work:

\s" will find the white space and the double quotation mark

"[A-Z] will find the double quotation mark and any uppercase letter

It seems to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Paragraph-style grep functions are unreliable

inDesign paragraph-style grep functions are unreliable. I have two examples with differing issues in a monthly publication.

The first is a query for web addresses and emails based on common TLDs. I have used it for years.
    \b\S+(.com|.org|.gov|.edu|.net|.UK|.ca|.uk|.ly)((\s)|[^>])\;:\s(.\s)(\,\s)]+)

In the same document, on the same text, the style change query works, and then doesn't work in another paragraph style. To make it more confusing, if I remove the pathname variables it will then work. If I past the variables back in, it will still work.

Even simple match queries will need to be edited into different syntax to work from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. benjamin.schenk

Content-Aware Fit-Problem with INDD CC2019, 14.0.1
    I had images to link again after receiving a layout from a customer. In some cases, I had massive changes, different sections of images, with the new option activated. I'm not shure about the reason, but if I don't activate the automatic fit, the picture sections are correct in the same layout with the same images.

All the best
    Benjamin

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Clicking on master page items with type tool

1. InDesign CC2019
    2. clicking on master page items on a page with the text tool selected should make that text box active – like it has done for so many years
    3. it doesn’t. You have to change to the main selection tool, then click on the text box, then click back on the type tool to edit the text. Creating a pain when you have a lot of master pages set up.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Margins – Irrelevant error message

CC2019 14.0.1 MacOS
    If I have a custom size page in the document (with it's own custom margins), that is smaller than the documents default margins – I get an error message every time I make InD active.

To repoduce:
    -Make new document – A4 with 20 mm margins
    -Add one page
    -Change margins on new page to 0 mm
    -Change with of new page to 10 mm width
    -Hide InDesign
    -Reactivate InDesign – Error message shown

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base