Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6462 results found

1. STACK ORDER BUG: Deleting page 1 and 2 causes object to change stack order on subsequent pages

Problem
    1. Discovery of text box missing from page 39 in printed Catalogue.

Review
    1. Immediately review INDD document to attempt to recreate error and report to client preliminary findings.
    a. The bug effects the stack ordering of objects on subsequent pages. In the Food & Beverage case, this missing text box from page 39 was in fact simply “underneath” the background yellow box.
    b. Error occurs when splitting out the cover pages to a separate document (to allow for a spine), whereby Page 1 and 2 and last 2 pages of document are deleted. Software bug appears to only…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Eyedropper in tables (ME indesign 2018) crashing

Using the latest copy of indesign ME and everytime i use the eyedropper tool on a table it immediately crashes

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. IndDesign CC2018

When copying an item, it keeps crashing. Just updated to the most recent version of 13.1, still crashes upon copying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that.

InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that. But if you do right mouse button, or spell check, it does know the word is misspelled, offering correction suggestions. We really need to see it "dynamically" as one types; this feature is not working.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. gpu performance not working

This literally just started happening today. I have not installed ANY new anything.
    I'm running a new Macbook Pro (sept 2017), with 16g RAM, 2 TB SDD (with plenty of room on it) Graphics processor is Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running High Sierra 10.13.1.
    Running latest version of InDesign CC 2018 build 13.0.1
    As of about an hour ago, I can no longer use the animated zoom or GPU performance. Everything on the screen disappears and you can see the rulers moving as I try to zoom in/out or try to scroll pages.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Are you facing this issue for all the document. If yes, can you please send us one of your sample document for analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.
    If issue is specific to some documents then please share these documents for analysis.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

6. 6 letter word is split at end of line without a hyphenation being added

Hyphenation of the style is set for 3 letters before, 3 letters after. Correct for the language would be a hyphenation after two letters in this case. Indesign cannot break the word as it wants, INSTEAD it still breaks the word, but inserts no hyphenation. This appears to be a bug. I am attaching a screen shot as well as a package file. The problem is highlighted in yellow on page 26 of the book.

Indesign: 13.0.1
    Mac: 10.12.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. HTML ads produced in InDesign are exporting distorted and wrong.

HTML ads produced in InDesign are exporting wrong. Fonts distorting, bevel and drop shadow not showing up. Several other elements look wrong.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Text in placed Illustrator object extends out of frame in PDF

I have a map done in Illustrator, saved as an .ai file. This has been placed into InDesign and slightly cropped so that one of the text labels is cut off. When I export this to PDF, the complete line of text shows on the page, extending out past the edge of the frame. The line and shape objects are cropped to the frame though.

The attached PDF shows screenshots illustrating this.

I have had the same thing happen in the same InDesign file (well, the same map template) with a placed InDesign document instead of a placed Illustrator file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Errorcode 2 too now.. (in Addition to Errorcode 4).. Database // Writing Rights...

After having troubles with errorcode 4 since CC17 and High Sierra, now Errorcode 2 enters the stage :(.

First Symptoms: If you are working on a document and you have to re-save it under different names, e.g. you are working with a kind of template and have to import assets and save the INDD files... you always stay in the folder of the file after using "save as" ... but in this case the Indesign points to something like "documents" or another default folder after clicking "save as".

After that i am not able to save the files or load…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Adobe InDesign/InCopy cannot be opened because of a problem

InCopy will not launch in macOS 10.11.5 and 10.12.6. This is happening on two different computers, one a 2015 13" MacBook Pro with Retina and one a 2017 MacBook Pro with TouchBar. Have attempted uninstall/reinstalls as well as removing preference files.

I'm attaching the InCopy report from 10.12.6 computer but the 10.11.5 computer is currently off-site. I can add it later if I need to.

I'm also attaching a screenshot of the error message returned by InCopy when I try to launch the application.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. space before and after ordered and unordered lists

I'd like to space before and after fields added to the Bullets and Numbering panel of paragraph styles. I often prefer to base my ULs and OLs on my body style which includes the space applied to the end of the paragraph. I can remove the space but then my list item lack the proper spacing for the last item in the list. I fix this by creating a last item style and apply it manually but this is a real pain. It would be nice to have space before and after fields to adjust the padding around a list,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. whitespace handling processing instruction not working in InDesign CC 2018

If the XML contains "whitespace handling" processing instruction, then the XML text not visible in InDesign CC 2018, it returns empty paragraphs, but the same XML working fine in CC 2017.

Sample XML attached for your reference. Please check and revert ASAP.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Duden-Hyphenation changes the language in preferences

After setting Duden hyphenation in Preferences, the next time the menu is opened, it will change to "1996 Alte Rechtschreibung" instead of "2006 Neue Rechtschreibung". (only on WIN-machines?!?)
    Regards Frank Muenschke (IDUG Rhein/Ruhr)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Changing the status to Needs Review since we are looking into the issue for fixing.

-Aman

15. Pages/spread overlapping after changing page size

InDesign 2018 CC 13.0.1

Pages and spreads are doing weird things when I resize my document. It creates some odd margin after resize of pages. I start out with 2 pages, document shuffling allowed, facing pages turned off.

Pagespread01112617 - shows the page spread I was working with; each page is 10”x12.25”.
    Page
    spread02112617 - after I changed the size to 10.68”x11.239” for another ad spread, a weird margin showed up. The content boxes show how there is an odd overlap; each box is 10.68" wide.
    Pagespread03_112617 - If I move page 2…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. mac os high sierra font book - make it work.

mac os high sierra font book - when I make font changes there it creates long pinwheel pauses when switching back to indesign cc2018. Please fix.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Horizontal and vertical measurements switched in Move dialog

I’m one of the dinosaurs who started out in the trade on a typesetting machine, and my preferred system of units uses picas for horizontal measures and points for vertical. This has mostly worked fine for years, but since the most recent update I notice that the Move dialog is using points for X and picas for Y. Not a major issue, but somewhat annoying. (ISTR previous versions with a similar bug in the Cell Options > Text dialog, where the left & right insets were in points and the top & bottom in picas, but that one now behaves…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Control bar disappears from view when switching applications in cc 2018

When I switch from an application back to InDesign cc 2018 the control bar/panel will sometimes disappear. The only way I can get it back is to change workspace to "Essentials" and then return it to my custom workspace. This did not happen with InDesign cc 2017.

My specs are as follows:
    OS 10.11.6 (15G1510)
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Error on Inset Spacing on Text Frame

The Inset spacing on a Text Frame can be set to keep text from the edge of a box as in previous versions. However I am finding that when I request the frame be resized to fit the text exactly the bottom inset is not being recognised. Is this an recognised issue?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 2 votes

We're glad you're here