Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. Control bar disappears from view when switching applications in cc 2018

When I switch from an application back to InDesign cc 2018 the control bar/panel will sometimes disappear. The only way I can get it back is to change workspace to "Essentials" and then return it to my custom workspace. This did not happen with InDesign cc 2017.

My specs are as follows:
    OS 10.11.6 (15G1510)
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Error on Inset Spacing on Text Frame

The Inset spacing on a Text Frame can be set to keep text from the edge of a box as in previous versions. However I am finding that when I request the frame be resized to fit the text exactly the bottom inset is not being recognised. Is this an recognised issue?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. BUG - Paste in Place not pasting correctly with double page spread

Latest version (2018) does not correctly locate objects when using the 'paste in place' function.

Open a double page spread document. Select item from left page spread and paste in place on another spread in same document - locates incorrectly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

User confirmed that the issue is resolved with the latest update, on being contacted via email by Adobe staff member.

5. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. EPS saving as AI or PDF bug then printing in InDesign

Hi When saving an EPS file to either AI or PDF downloaded from a stock site I have had issues with both the on screen preview and print from InDesign. When I save it as an EPS again it appears to regain the proper appearance both on screen and in print. Is there a transparency issue when converting an EPS to AI or PDF?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Objects on canvas move down when new page created

Have just noticed that when I create a new page in the middle of a multipage document, objects on the canvas of following pages are all pushed down an extra page - i've screen capped before/after. I tested on two other documents and one other computer and was able to reproduce the issue every time...

Version: 13.0/CC 2018
    Reproduce issue by: Create multipage document with objects on the canvas. Insert pages using pages palette in the middle of the document; watch all your canvas content move down!
    Expected result: for the content to stay on the canvas of the pages…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

8. Crash on Launch

When launching InDesign and Illustrator 2018, I get the attached alert. Illustrator will always show this alert but does function. InDesign will always show this alert and it opens once. Thereafter it will crash on launch every time until I reinstall it and then I get one launch again and repeated crashes on launch until I reistall. This is on two separate Macs running HIgh Sierra

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Cannot turn auto-fit to default

I am using Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.0 for macOS (10.13.1). It seems that the auto-fit is default turned off right now. I changed the setting in Objet-Fitting-Framing Fitting Options and checked the box of Auto-fit with no documents open.

However, I am still unable to set auto fit into default.

Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Can not start InDesign CC 2018

I can not start the InDesign CC 2018 after the update from CC 2017. The program did not start. Nothing happened. Need I some special rights, now? What could be the reason?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

11. Keyboard Shortcut Doesn't Work

When assigning alternate shortcut keys to Edit/Copy (CTRL+INSERT) and Edit/Cut (SHIFT+DELETE), these keys don't function as expected. These keys were assigned in Default, Text, and Table contexts. CTRL+INSERT does nothing and SHIFT+DELETE removes text but does not put it in clipboard. This last one can cause data loss; I have do UNDO the removed text and then cut it using CTRL+X instead.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. cc library

InDesign 2018 as soon as its opened the CC Library panel pops up and starts flickering. If you try to do anything in ID it relocates the pointer to the library every few seconds. If you switch to a different program or browser other than ID it takes you back to ID within seconds to the library.

I've tried closing the panel but it just opens up again. I've restarted my machine a few times. Its always the same. It makes it pretty much unusable.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Color Mode listings are all out of order

The order of Color Mode options (Pantone, TOYO, etc.) are listed in a seemingly random order after updating to InDesign CC 2018 (13.0).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. autoflow not working - shift click does not do anything.

Indesign CC 2018 - shift click does not add pages to end of the document as required. Actually shift click does nothing with a text thread.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. pen constraining and / or snapping

Drawing with the pen tool snaps / constrains to fixed increments rendering it useless. This occurs even after turning off snap to guides and smart guides and using control to disable.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Folder shortcuts for scripts are not copied, updating to ID2017. In new version the shortcut is a folder and all scripts are COPIED there.

In InDesign, before ver. 2017, I had a folder shortcut in my InDesign scripts folder. It lead to another place, a subfolder under a folder where I've got SVN versioning. When upgrading to CC12.0 (ID2017), the shortcut was not copied. Instead all of the files were copied from the original location to the scripts folder of InDesign 2017. When upgrading the shortcuts should be copied, not the actual files! We've got customers who point their scripts folder to a common network location, using shortcuts and also junctions (a.k.a. symlinks) for easy update. When every user gets a copy of their…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Extension on top of built-in modal messages can cause deadlock, windows blocking each other

InDesign's "modal" built-in dialogues can show up BEHIND third party extensions, if the extension is situated in the center of the screen. The extension window can not be moved before the window from InDesign has been handled (you may have to press OK or something like that), and that window is completely hidden. When this situation occurrs, you have to force InDesign to a quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Unable to add Paragraph Styles to Creative Cloud Library, InDesign 2018

Not sure how you can reproduce this as I haven't found anybody else with this problem, but hopefully you can figure out how to help me. I cannot add paragraph styles to the Library, and I have tried every way:"+" button on the panel with text selected, cloud button on the styles panel, dragging from the panel... nothing works. Everything else--including character styles--can be added normally.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Anasuiya Gupta responded

The issue is due to the Kerning being set as None, if one sets it as Optical or Metrics, it solves the issue. The issue is currently under review.

19. All External Links (Bug Report, Tutorial, InDesign Help, etc..) Fail

Links from Help menu that open browser cause a Safari popunder, Indesign refresh, and no link being loaded in Safari.
    InDesign 13.0
    macOS High Sierra 10.13

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base