Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6499 results found

1. Bleed applies wrong when exporting as spreads

Indesign document with 2 pages in a spread, 5 mm bleed on all sides.

Export to PDF as spreads with 5 mm bleed on the left side: The PDF has no bleed.
    Export to PDF as spreads with 5 mm bleed on the right side: The PDF has 5 mm bleed on both left and right side.

Indesign v 14.0.3

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Publish Online Error "An error occurred while uploading your document. Please try again."

For months I have been getting this error message. I have followed all the steps previously mentioned and it still wont fix the issue. Please see the attached image. The last time I was able to publish online was in June 2019.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ungrouping deletes all items

Using Adobe InDesign CC up-to-date on a PC running Windows 10.

1. Ungrouped group of text boxes + image boxes.
    2. All text in boxes disappeared but outlines remained. However in the layers you could see that they were deleted.

Strangely enough, by deleting a different hidden layer, I could ungroup the group and they would not be deleted.

Definitely the weirdest InDesign bug I've seen to date.

Any help would be appreciated!!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. crash

Very often when trying to save as InDesign is crashing making me lost my un saved work.

I can't attach a file since my computer crash...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Indesign crashes with 0xc0000005 executing a script that works with tables

Hi all,

I have a extend script that works with tables. It always works fine executed in Extend Script Toolkit, but when I want to rise it from Adobe Indesign, it always make the aplication to crash with an 0xc0000005 error. Not always crashes at the same line and not always crashes in the same table. Simply a random number of tables in the document are procesed, but always crashes before finish.

Indesign version: CS6 8.0 version (I also have tried with a trial 2019 version and also crashes!!).

We are totally desperated. Please, help!!

Thanks…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Ability to Add more than One Page at a Time

I have a "large" technical textbook, in my case 20 chapters and at least 22 indd files, if I wnt to add a page or two to an existing chapter, each time I click the new page icon, it takes a while for InDesign to reassess page and section numbers. Ten clicks of "new page later", it rather timeconsuming.

How about an option, similar to adding rows/columns to a table, that allows you to specifiy how many pages you would like to add?

At the moment, adding 10 pages means watching it update section numbers 10 times.

Kind regards
    Mike…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. INDESIGN WINDOWS FAILING

Everytime I open a new document ALL MY MENUS/BOXES GO AWAY! Control, Tools, Color Swatches, etc. I have to open them EVERY SINGLE TIME I open a new document. This is completely destroying my workflow and efficiency. PLEASE FIX NOW!!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Tired of Adobe cloud and syncing

I have had it!
    I have so had it with you Adobe! I'm not even connected to the internet, I'm OFFLINE!!!! In InDesign, when I work with a freaking Google font called "Lato," I expect only the Google Font to be on my system fonts. Yet, you, yes, YOU want me to connect to the internet so that the font "Lato Medium" is synced into my design, which I did not even request to be synced in the first place. I never wanted the **** font, yet you force it down on me. InDesign keeps telling me that the font…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can't export page range as pdf

I'm unable to export a page range from InDesign as a PDF as I have done for decades. I get two options when I choose "range," "All" and "Letter V."

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Did you try selecting (highlighting) “All Pages” and type whatever page range you want to export?
    If you have alternate layouts and you want to export a range of pages from a particular alternate layout, say Letter V, you can also type the page range after putting a colon, like this: Letter V: 2-3.
    This has been the case for many versions and has not changed.

Adobe InDesign team

10. InDesign freezes while Adding New/Editing Cross-References

1. InDesign 13.1 x64 2a. Select the text, go to Insert Cross References either via Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References or via the Cross References Panel. 2b. Select text that already has a cross reference, go to Cross-Reference Options either via Type > Hyperlinks and Cross References of the Cross References panel.
    2. The New Cross-Reference or Edit Cross-Reference dialog box should open and function.
    3. InDesign freezes and has to be force quit. I've waited as long as 20 minutes for the system to function properly before having to force it to quit.
    6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Text edits forcing blank

I keep encountering the same glitch in multiple documents where an edit to the text on one page forces a blank page (although running head and page number remain) on the following page, with the text re-flowing as expected on the page after that. For example, deleting an unwanted space is a frequent cause of this glitch. So far I've found 2 ways of making the text return to it's correct position and removing the blank:

1) place my cursor at the very end of the page before the unwanted blank and enter a space - this brings the text…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Export pdf dialogue box gets stuck

When export to pdf, the dialogue box gets stuck so that I cannot fill it in.
    I enclose a screenshot.

Best regards
    /Helena Mannerblad

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. pdf export crops images

Indesign import this PDF and export PDF, result: images are cropped !!!

Same result Acrobat Pro optimising this PDF !!!

Acrobat Pro or Indesign print this PDF ok !!!

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

131 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign – version 16.1

Please update to this version to get the fix. To prevent problem on existing documents and see the footnotes again, you will have to force recompose the stories.
    To force recompose stories, you can use the shortcut Command-Option-/ (slash) on Mac or Ctrl-Alt-slash on Windows

-InDesign Team

15. 14.0.3 Crashes and wipes all preferences (17th October 2019)

On closing a document on a mac (using the red dot) inDesign suddenly crashes. When I re-open it, all my preferences have been reset to default - including the animated tool tips returning.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:

• Quit InDesign and create a backup of Preference and cache. Relaunch InDesign to observe if the preferences have been reset.
    • Next time when you encounter a crash, create a backup of Preference and cache prior to InDesign launch. If the issue is encountered, send the back up of preference and cache to the above mail ID

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Neues Dokument lässt sich nicht erstellen ....leeres Fenster mit %CCX_FNFT_DIALOG_NAME

Es lässt sich kein neues Dokument erstellen weder über die Schaltfläche noch über Datei neu.... Stattdessen kommt ein leeres Fenster mit %CCXFNFTDIALOG_NAME

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Copying RGB from Illustrator to Indesign no longer working. (Comes out CMYK)

When I copy an RGP element from Illustrator and paste it into InDesign, it comes out in CMYK (much more dull, and less vibrant than the RGB image). I have assured that my document is setup correctly and even had Adobe Support check it out and said that everything was setup correctly but the claimed that "copy and paste isn't the way to do it", and I need to "Place" the file every time. Am I the only one that finds this unacceptable? (Running the latest version of Adobe products and the latest MacOS Catalina)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. footnotes

The "drag-and-drop" function works with normal text but not with footnotes references.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. PDF export from 14.0.3 3x slower than from CS6

Export same file from 14.0.3 is sometimes 3x slower than from CS6. Same file, same export settings.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Incorrect Justify vertically text frame

Justify vertically text frame is not correct every time particularly in more than 2 columns text frame. Tried all options and found some time there are space in bottom of last line as in attached file.

Reproduced in the same in 2 or more columns text frames. This happens in:

1. If used heading span 2 or more or spall all.

2. Placed any text wrap graphics,

3. Used with or without "Skip by leading"

All the instances are same results, in some cases the space are more than the attached file, particularly if used "span all" for heading and place any "text…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base