Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 2020 won't overwrite PDF

Since updating to Indesign 2020 I can't overwrite pdf files from the export menu it says 'file is still open' when it's not. Yet another thing broken on the yearly beta test.

125 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

76 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Id CC 2020 pdf export failure

I get an error "Failed to Export the PDF file" when exporting file previously created in Id CC 2019.
    Id does not give any details about the error. It simply stops exporting. I've never seen such a message before (I've been working with Id since version 1.0).
    The same file is exported from CC2019 without any problems.
    Windows 10 with all updates.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Links export to PDF creates "Null Alt Text" attribute in tagged PDF

When an ID 15 file with hyperlinks is exported to Tagged PDF, unless you assign alternative text to the Links in ID, the Link tags will have a "null text" attribute which prevents the content of the Link tag from being read by a screen reader. This is a problem for several reasons. Not everyone chooses to add alternative text to hyperlinks. It's a UA, but not a WCAG 2 requirement. An automated accessibility checker like Acrobat's or even PAC is not going to flag this. Most people do not do a "Jaws check" of the PDF they are remediating…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Variable Fonts don't display correct via PDF export

I'm very excited to see variable fonts in InDesign, thank you!

However, when using variable fonts in an InDesign document, exported PDFs show overlaps (as in the crossbar of /A), as well as inconsistent stem weights, spacing, and alignments in various glyphs. These issues occur in multiple variable fonts I've tested.

If I use static fonts or convert fonts to outlines using Type > Create Outlines these issues don't show up. These issues are present when viewing PDFs in both Acrobat and Preview (see screenshots attached). These variable fonts work fine in web browsers and other applications that support variable…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Exported interactive PDF does not honour reading order.

1 – InDesign 2020 15.0
    2 – Have standard copy with headings and body copy with PDF export tags applied (H1, H2, P etc). Add images between sections of text. Drag elements into the Articles panel in the correct reading order and tick 'Use for Reading Order in Tagged PDF.
    3 – Images should be in the right order
    4 – Images are not in the right order. All figures are in a <Art> tag. This was not an issue in InDesign 2019.
    5 – Order should be first block of text, image (1) and then second block of text…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. indesign inside indesign error CMYK on PDF exporting

Problem in inDesign v15. Previous versión works fine

I use huge indesign files (wen name it A) inside a indesign file(we can name it B), is cool feature that optimice our workflow. After update, everythink looks working well but when we exporte print file in PDFx1a Format we experiment problems on RGB->CMYK conversión on images os "A"file, when we export from "B" file. But it work fine if we export on the original "A" source file. Some similar issues are detected, leaving space in white or low, strange white image file as described on attach file.

Not very sure if…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. InDesign and Acrobat conflict

I just installed InDesign 2020 15.0. When I try to export a file to PDF I get an error message saying that file is already open, which it is not. Closing Adobe Acrobat and reopening doesn't solve issue, only restarting InDesign does. Hugely inconvenient. I have not been prompted to upgrade Acrobat and I never had that problem with earlier InDesign versions.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. InDesign and Acrobat accessibility conflict

Adobe InDesign version: 2019 CC

We are currently trying to establish the best workflow in creating fully accessible PDF's for screen readers and I believe we have come across a bug in the communication between InDesign and Acrobat.

Quick summary:

H1 elements on multiple lines read as separate elements unless assigned manually in Acrobat
    The Structure and Article order does not transfer to the PDF

To explain the issue clearly I have numbered the images in the process order.

1. Image: 1 InDesign Accessibility setup.png

2. I have setup ‘paragraph styles’ and used the correct ‘Export Tagging’ tags for each style.

3. I…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PDF Export in InDesign CC 2020 (15.0) is broken

As soon as I try to export a PDF (either with File > Export or File > Adobe PDF Presets), the background task starts but hangs at 32% and never completes. When cancelling the task, it never cancels and I need to Force Quit InDesign to cancel it.

Running Catalina with the latest version of InDesign (15.0)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign 2020 not tagging lists properly on export to Interactive PDF

If a paragraph style is used to define a tag for export to PDF, all numbered and bulleted lists used with that style inherit the same tag, rather than the list tag <L>, <LI>, etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. export to PDF

Why has the export changed?
    Exporting the catalog directly from InDesign in August 2019 was 6MB.
    Why, the same catalog, export Jan 2020 is 35 MB?
    Everything is fine, same setting, quality, .. but the size is bigger and it is impossible to get to the original size.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Can not create PDF, links apparently broken?

Hi guys,

Indesign links panel appears fine but when I goto export to pdf it comes up with "This document contains links to files that are not accessible..." they are linked to my local hard rive? Extremely frustrating, there must be a simple remedy?

Thanks,
    Mark

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Cannot export a PDF to tmp folder

When I try and export a PDF to the /tmp folder I get the error "Failed to Export the PDF File" with no other information whatsoever.

Exporting to the desktop worked fine with no issues.

It does not appear to be file-dependant as I even tried creating a brand new document with a single line of text and exported using one of the presets.

ID: InDesign 15.0 & 14.0.3

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. CC2020 Unreliable PDF export

The content of some pages disappears when exporting in pdf.
    In the attached screenshot: on the left the indesign file and on the right the exported file. We can see that the double page should not be white.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Export Interative PDF - Create Tagged PDF checkbox Bug

All my paragraph styles are set to corresponding tags (eg., H1, H2, etc.) for export options. When I export to tagged pdf, the tag names generated in PDF were paragraph style names not "Export Tagging" names.

Please look it into this and do the needful.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. export folder

Just installed InDesign CC 2020 and I cannot export to the recent folders. The same folder appears no matter which recent place I choose. I don't even remember saving anything to the folder that shows up.

See what is happening here. Any help would be great so I don't have to navigate through a million folders to save and export my work.

https://www.loom.com/share/773d77ea449444de884f606f75f1e741

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Artifact Tagging

InDesign now ignores it half the time when I designate an object as an artifact in the object export options panel. I run an accessibility check on the PDF and those objects come up as errors in the alternate text check, and I have to manually desginate them all as artifacts within Acrobat. I know this is a new issue, because I've been working with the same template for several years and locked down all the objects that were supposed to remain the same month to month. Never has a problem until the 2020 update.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. INDD 15.0.1 can not save PDF.

INDD 15.0.1 can not save PDF.

"Fehlermeldung: dieses Dokument enthält Verknüpfungen mit Dateien/Urls, auf die nicht zugegriffen werden kann. Überprüfen sie ihre Netzwerkverbindung bzw. die ursprüngliche Inhaltsquelle."

The same INDD File on PC is possible to export to PDF - no problem.
    On Mac (10.15.1) we can not export to PDF.

One Day bevore the automatic update to INDD 15.0.1. we worked normaly and PDF was possible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base