Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

484 results found

1. You have screwed up Hebrew in InDesign 19.0.1

There are several very serious bugs with Hebrew that I have reported in Bug ID-4244890

1. you cannot select diacritics.
    2. when diacritics have mark to mark positioning, the positioning changes.

The above two very serious bugs can be solved by running your script hidden on your website that disables the harfbuzz engine.

1. periods that appears at the end of a Hebrew sentence, especially if there is an English word, disappear when exporting to pdf.
    2. Hebrew sentences that have a number of English words can display incorrectly in InDesign with the pillcrow appearing in the middle of the line and when exporting,…
    48 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 18.4 and 18.5 exported PDF corrupted

Hi guys,

Our books are printed in house with Xerox Nuvera 288 Presses. We recently faced this issue, and tho it should be addressed in 18.5 updated, we're still facing the same problem in 18.4 with 18.5 (Images attached below) where the whole book is printed out, but have left a single page blank.

In this example, this page 85 went blank every time we ran it through the press when exported with 18.4 and 18.5, but got no problem with 18.3. This error also happened to 9 out of 10 book titles (exported with 18.4 and 18.5) that we…

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. "Insufficient data for an image" error is shown on opening PDF in Acrobat

We are experiencing issues with exporting to PDF. Hi res PDF Compatibility Acrobat 7 (PDF 1.6).
    The PDF is created normally, but when opening the PDF, it sometimes happens that the image is not displayed on one or more pages. The error message for this specific page is: ERROR: Insufficient data for an image.
    We tried to solve this problem within our team. Eventually, we discovered that the issue did not occur for one of our colleagues. Further investigation revealed that this colleague was still using an older version of InDesign (18.3). The colleagues experiencing problems had automatic updates enabled…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Pdf export and Adobe print to pdf gets image errors in prints from InDesign 19.3 x64

The pdf looks correct in the pdf but lines looks very different after printing the pdf. Both export in different qualities, and Adobe print to pdf different qualities gets the same results. The image is a map and the errors are desturbingly big. Microsoft print PDF works so the errors are Adobes. The map itself is from ArcMap GIS and printed as pdf with Adobe pdf printer and linked to InDesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. PAC 2021 Error for InDesign generated PDF : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I am still getting Object reference not set to an instance of an object when testing pdf files in PAC 21. This error apparently relates to 'PDF Export using ZIP compression for images shows an “Insufficient data for an image” error on opening in Acrobat.

This was supposed to be fixed in ID 18.5 but its now happening with every PDF I check for accessibility, even a single page with simple text.

Working for local government and its imperative our PDF files exported from ID are fully accessible and tested. Seek an urgent fix.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. PDF Workflow shows syntax error in exported PDF Version 18.5

I read that there was some Problems with PDF export since InDesign version 18.4. And i want to report that there are still issues with the latest version 18.5. Our Workflow reports syntax error in pdf and aborts procession. Its a full stop, no detailed error messages were shown. The only solution for us is to place the PDF again in older InDesign (17.4) and export a PDF from there.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. last letter in text frame disappears from PDF Hebrew

We're having issues with the last letter or the punctuation at the end of a sentence disappearing when the file is exported as a PDF. Primarily happens with right-to-left language, we're using Hebrew.
    Been happening since the update to 19.0 onward.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Hebrew that is conditioinal text does not export properly to PDF.

1. This is the case in InDesign 19.0, 19.0.1, 19.1, current beta version. 2-4. Hebrew text with diacriticals (vowels and others) that is marked as conditional text exports to PDF incorrectly. Diacritical marks are missing or misplaced. Sometimes an unexpected box appears. The same file, with conditions removed exports correctly to PDF. (Other exports, e.g., JPG) are correct. The same file exports properly in 18.5
    2. Attached files: a. Hebrew text with condition applied and same text without condition applied. This is the pdf export. I would provide the indd file but this webpage does not accept indd files. b. Screen with…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Crop marks encroach inside bleed zone

I work in a print shop. Bleed and crop marks should NEVER, NOT EVER, encroach into the bleed zone. InDesign should be set up to default the crop mark offset to automatically match the specified bleed, so that the crop marks in a PDF appear OUTSIDE of the bleed zone.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. PDF/X-1a:2001 rendering is broken as of v18.4

Exporting using the PDF/X-1a:2001 preset no longer works properly as of versions 18.4. When rendering plate separations for printing using AFGA Apogee prepress software (which has NOT been updated, nor has the OS), the PDF crashes the render and spits out an error. I've checked and confirm that PDFs worked as expected forever until v18.4 and 18.5, which both produce an error. Saving the PDFs as a postscript within Acrobat and distilling back into PDF/X-1a:2001 fixes the problem, so something is broken in InDesign.
    Apogee usually provides better error reports than the single "." in that screenshot, which suggests that…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Data Merge – PDF-Image Error

Hi there
    We have the alarming situation, that we did some data merge with a bill in it which is set up as a image (PDF). We did a PDF for the costumer to check the personalization.
    Afterwards we did made the PDF for printing.
    Thats were the problem started, because the PDF of the bill was getting importet wrong. in the firstplace we imported the PDF with the Mediabox but since we edited some other files and placed some other PDF with trimbox the setting was saved in the indd presets and on the data merge we got the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Bicubic Downsampling artifacts

When an image is exported to PDF with Bicubic Downsampling selected, the interpolation creates a a column of pixels which seem to be duplicated from the column immediately preceding it. This isn't very noticeable on full images, but on specific cases, like the round circle attached, it creates an unsightly "bump out" that alters the shape of the circle.
    This does not occur if Average Downsampling is selected, so that's the immediate solution to the problem, but maybe the ID team needs to look at how Bicubic Downsampling is applied and if there's any way to improve this interpolation.
    As…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Exporting a page to an existing PDF file

Hello,
    I've been using Indesign for over 20 years and I often come across the following problem: you're working on a large catalogue, you export it as a PDF and after proofreading, a page needs to be corrected. You apply the correction and export the whole catalogue again, overwriting the previous one, or (another method) you export just the corrected page and import it into the PDF using Acrobat tools.

It might be interesting to be able to tell Indesign to export only the corrected page and to integrate it directly into the existing PDF in order to save time…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Missing Graphics

Certain aspects of my file is not properly populating with all of the graphics that are imbedded on the Master pages only on the even pages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 19.2 Arabic version, missing periods in exported PDF

In an exported pdf, periods (or other ending characters) at the end of paragraphs are missing, if the paragraphs were aligned right or justified in the original English version.
    The time-consuming work-around option is to make the period LTR char direction.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. fonts not exporting to pdf properly

I am using Indesign 2024 on Mac Ventura. Adobe Premier Pro Garamond Cyrillic fonts are fine in InDesign but do not show properly when exported to PDFs. This is ridiculous if not inexcusable. It's an Open Source, Adobe font. Spend time fixing issues like this instead of destroying programs by deleting scroll bars.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Dynamic hyperlinks in endnotes exported to an interactive pdf don't work

Endnotes within InDesign are dymanic, i.e. you can move between endnote number in body copy to the endnote reference by clicking the number.

If you export a document with endnotes to a Print pdf these dynamic links are retained, so you can click on a number to go to a reference and vice-versa. This is useful when you have a document of hundreds of pages.

However, if you export to an Interactive pdf the dynamic links no longer work, which is bizarre, as this is where you need them, not in a print pdf.

I have a document containing hundreds…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I can't export pdfs with broken Hyperlinks? It considers an Apple Shortcut link as a broken URL?

I added URLs with Apple Shortcut link (Shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=***) and I couldn't export as pdf due to broken hyperlinks. It used to work before and Now it keeps giving me an error message whenever I try to export it.

Update: exporting pdf doesn't work with no apparent broken links or apple shortcut links

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. PDF from Indesign 18.5 document that has placed .indd files fails to RIP on EFI Fiery RIPs

I have a file which is a page of placed indd files to make up a label sheet.

Since updating from 18.3 to 18.5 this file and other similar files fail to RIP on two different (one xerox and one konica) EFI fiery systems.

Downgrading back to 18.3 fixes the issue.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Export Interative PDF

The crash/error occurs when I export the interactive pdf with a little over 2000 pages at the almost end of the exporting process. so I downgraded the version of InDesign to 18v and now it works fine. Still, I have many files already made with updated indesign (19v).

I am a Mac OS user.
    Please please fix this issue. I desperately need this to be fixed for my work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?