Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

483 results found

1. Export PDF is crashing PAC checker due to font issue

Since version 18.4, sometimes the embedding of specific fonts is causing PAC to get a system error. I know this because I sent my file to Axaio (made-to-tag) when I couldn't figure out why PAC was not working. They told me this started happening since version 18.4, which has something to do with fonts. They suggested finding a TrueType version of the font to get around this bug or download 18.3. I use Indesign all the time and need this bug to be fixed.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. interactive pdf export hangs forever

ID 2023 won't finish the export to Interactive PDF task and hangs for minutes on the "finishing document" stage. It must then be force quit to continue. Cancelling the export doesn't work. Screenshot attached.

ID 18.5.1.79, M1 Max MacStudio, MacOSX 14.2.1

I must use ID 2022 in order to export interactive PDF because ID 2024 is impossible to use with Hebrew files. see here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/47461556-you-have-screwed-up-hebrew-in-indesign-19-0-1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Data Merge merges only first record repeatedly

Using InDesign for Windows v18.5.

First of all, I TRIED to upload the InDesign file in question to this forum, and get an error message stating that uploading of InDesign files is not allowed. In an InDESIGN FORUM?

The issue here is the failure of InDesign to properly merge records from a CSV/TXT document. I have a source document (tab-delim text) and multiple fields in the InDesign document. (I am NOT trying to place multiple records per page. It's a single record with multiple tab-delim fields per page.) When I do a preview of the merge, the preview looks perfect,…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Can't export pdf from InDesign then InDesign closes

I can't export a pdf from InDesign, then InDesign itself closes (no crash report, even though I changed the setting so I can see one). This issue has only started today (18 December); the last time I exported a pdf was 4 days ago and it was fine. I'm using Windows Pro 10, have updated InDesign to the latest version, restarted the computer and tried various settings. Please help! I have a client waiting for the document and I can't deliver it. With thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. End nested style here character appears in bookmarks as empty rectangle

When I use End nested style character in headings, these are exported into bookmarks as empty characters. They have no meaning in bookmarks.

InDesign 19.0.1 on Windows

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InCopy cannot export assets that were inserted from CC Library into PDF - link reported as missing

The only way to export Notes from InDesign into PDF is to use InCopy, however exporting to PDF form InCopy is now compromised, because any assets in the document inserted from CC Library are reported as missing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. export

I am unable to export the document, never had any issues before. The option to save cannot be clicked

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Work on pdf

Add the possibility for opening PDF's in InDesign to work on the different layers in the program and for more possibilities.

EDIT #INDESIGN

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Certain placed PDFs look fine but become strange when part of InDesign export to PDF

InDesign version 18.3. The issue is explained thoroughly in this forum thread, with lots of example exports: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/pdf-export-messes-up-placed-pdf-and-is-affected-by-mark-bleed-settings/m-p/13957529

Summary: If you place either of the attached PDFs (which were made in Word for Mac), and then try to make a PDF from InDesign, the black rectangle that is in the background of the content will change size unexpectedly. It will always look fine in InDesign but mess up when exported. And the degree to which it changes will vary depending on various factors like marks and bleed, which should have nothing to do with the placed PDF.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign 18.2 crashes/fails during PDF export for documents containing placed indd containing Adobe Fonts

Problem/Actual Result
    I have Indesign files that have .indd files linked as images. Each time I export an Indesign file that has an .indd links, I receive the attached messages saying that the file cannot be exported.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    - I have exported each page to find out which assets are causing Indesign not to export, it is always an .indd asset.
    - I have tried removing any transparency from each of the .indd linkages
    - I have removed any transparency or object style on any bounding box an .indd file sits in.
    - I have tried…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. PDF export wrong PDF version

We are using InDesign server 18 to export InDesign files to PDF. The last months (since november, when we updated from 17 to 18) we are noticing that we have problems with disappearing transparancy.

After a lot of research we found out that although the joboptions have the settings to export version 1.3, the server exports to version to a PDF 1.4. The PDF standard that is used is PDF X-1a:2003. This seems why transparancy is disappearing. I cannot reproduce this manually with the local version of InDesign I think because there is no possibility to use PDF-x1a:2003 and version…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ocultar páginas

Hola, con la nueva actualización de indesign, podemos ocultar páginas, y al exportar, estas no salen en el pdf. Esto está muy bien, pero ¿qué pasa si tenemos numeración automática y exportamos a pdf? pues que se mantiene la numeración y esto es un problema. Debería de haber una casilla de verificación o algo similar para que no enumere las páginas ocultas al exportar y así saldría perfecta la numeración sin saltar de páginas.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Book-PDF pixelated

Hello Support Team,

I have been having an annoying InDesign issue for quite some time:

I have a total of four computers available (1x HomeOffce, 1x work, 2x from colleagues) on which InDesign is installed. In each case the same program version (version doesn't really matter in this case, but current on our systems is 19.0).

On ONE COMPUTER, since installing InDesign about 3/4 year ago, I have the problem that the PDF output of a book always produces pixelated graphics.
    When I output single documents, the quality is correct, exclusively with the PDF output from a book it is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. PDFs Export to Google Drive as 0 Bytes, for Anyone on MacOS Ventura

Sometime in approximately late January 2023, my workgroup began having difficulty exporting PDFs from InDesign to our Google Drive. The PDF files appear on the Drive but as 0 bytes and can't be opened/viewed from the Chrome side of the Drive. We have isolated the problem as specific to anyone who is on MacOS Ventura. We believe the problem stems from a late January/early February upgrade to either the Google Drive, InDesign or Ventura (or perhaps a perfect storm combo of all three). We have 8 InDesign users in our workgroup and only the three who upgraded to Ventura are…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. pdf export

Hello.

I've used until 2 weeks ago a CS4 version of Indesign.
    Now I have the CC2023.
    I've troubles with the pdf export.
    The document is always the same, a 720 pages catalogues with Illustrator pictures.
    With the CS4, I was able to export 2 pages in around 5 seconds.
    With the CC2023, it takes arount 2 minutes, and after that the software don't answer for other 3 minutes.

What happens?

Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Bug ao exportar PDF Interativo

Quando exporto pdf interativo, automaticamente ele insere links em urls, porém, quando a url ocupa duas ou mais linhas, ele insere apenas na primeira linha, tornando o link quebrado e sem funcionalidade. A única forma de resolver isso é colocando manualmente via ferramenta link. Tem com ajustar de forma que o Indesign consiga fazer a varredura do link, verificando se ele realmente funciona e criar automaticamente de forma correta? Obrigado.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Eliminate Generating PDF dialog box

I am constantly bothered by the Generating PDF dialog box for two reasons:
    First, it doesn't play well with my dual-screen setup. If I have InDesign on one monitor, the dialog box often shows up on the othe rmonitor, blocking whatever applications or windows I am working on outside of InDesign. Then I must manually drag it over to the InDesign monitor to get it out of the way. Come on Adobe! Many users have multiple monitors. Your apps should remember the locations of all dialog boxes, windows, and panels and not arbitrarily show up in random places.
    Second, and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Share for Review

Share for Review and PDF export have been consistently not working. Below is a screen share of my attempting to export a PDF and share for review. I recently got a new computer. I don't know if it's an issue with syncing but it's happening with every document I open. I get notifications from time to time saying PDF won't export because of a PNG file that is misplaced but it doesn't mention what file. Imagine trying to locate the needle in a haystack.

I've closed the files, restarted inDesign, verified that it was up to date, scoured the forums,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. export, printing

I am unable to export or print a document through InDesign 2023. I have no errors in the document, but whenever I try to export the document (which is 113 pages long and has quite a number of images throughout), it just says "Failed to Export PDF File", but gives no reason for why this happened. I do get a pop-up window before the one that says the document failed to export and the pop-up says that some links for either files or hyperlinks are not accessible. I have removed all hyperlinks and all the images are linked properly. Also,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here