Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Abstürze nach Wechsel von CS6 zu CC

Ich arbeite an einem Buch mit vielen Abschnitten, einzelne davon wurden in CS6 bearbeitet und dann brauchte ich CC für die weitere Arbeit. Da in den Voreinstellungen für CC das Wörterbuch "Duden" und "Duden tolerant" empfohlen wird, stellte ich dies entsprechend ein. Unter CS6 war nur "Hunspell" oder "Proximity" möglich. Ich wollte aber weiter dasselbe "Benutzerwörterbuch" verwenden, da ich viele Fachwörter und Eigennamen etc. verwende, die nicht im Duden sind. Nach diesem Wechsel stürzte InDesign CC beim Öffnen von CS6 Dokumenten ab. Ich versuchte es mit System- und NVRAM-Resets. Ohne Erfolg. Es funktionierte nur, indem ich vor jedem Öffnen von…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Applying a negative vertical scale actually increases item's height (and display wrong value)

Just noticed that while you try to apply a negative vertical scale, item is actually enlarged in height. Also the vertical scale shows wrong value (says -100 instead of -125%)
    In my case, tried to apply -125% vertical scale

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Font Issue In Adobe InDesign version 14.0.1

Currently encountering an error within InDesign where certain fonts are displaying a explination mark and not working correctly. However, they appear as installed when using InDesign (please see attached)

The current workaround is to re-link the fonts to InDesign. Is there a known fix for this issue? Windows 10, InDesign version 14.0.1

Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. workspace's features (such as scroll down button and scroll sides, as well as page jump using pages tab) now showing

I'm using InCopy on Mac, and the bottom features are hidden.
    I'm also using InCopy on my PC and it works fine. All the bottom are shown correctly.
    Before 2019, it only happened when I opened Assignments panel, which hid last couple assignments from the pane and I couldn't scroll down any further to reveal it.
    But now, it's happening on the bottom pane universally(?).
    Does anyone else having similar issues?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. CS6 won't start because it can not load png import filter.indesign plugin

The start-up screen says: png import filter.indesign plugin requires the debug version indesign.
    I have the plug-in installed. So I expected the program to open as always.
    I did update to MacOS Mojave 10.14 recently.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. I use Indesign 14.0.1 English (hebrew supported). The change character direction is missing

I need the feature that was previously available: to adjust / change character direction. For example changing the direction of a hyphen from left to right to the oppoisite (right to left). It was availbe up till now. Where did it go?
    In addition, the special ME characters are absent.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Index sorting does not care about language setting

1. InDesign 14.0.1 x64
    2. Create a document.

Add an index reference for the word "Skrå".
    Add an index reference for the word "Skrivare".
    Add an index reference for the word "Överleva".
    Add an index reference for the word "Ondska".

Go to index Sort Settings. Select Header Type Finnish/Swedish for the Roman script.

Generate an index.

Observe:
    Ondska is placed under O.
    Överleva is placed under Ö. Which is at the end of the alphabet. This is as it should be, here in Sweden-land.

However:
    Skrivare is placed below Skrå. Despite å being placed last in the swedish alphabet. We…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. XSL used to export XML, replace function causing issues

Here’s the issue: in the process of exporting XML using XSL, extended characters (like fancy quotes and em-dashes) are being replaced incorrectly. Basically, while replacing the character with it's corresponding HTML entity, the character plus two more characters get replaced.

The problem is caused by a difference between the way Adobe is handling XSL in older versions 2014 vs. 2018 or newer. Attached you will find an example export of the 2014 export and the 2018 export using the exact same XSL. Notice that in the 2018 TWO characters after every special character are getting replaced. I have also attached…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. XSL used to export XML, replace function causing issues

Here’s the issue: in the process of exporting XML using XSL, extended characters (like fancy quotes and em-dashes) are being replaced incorrectly. Basically, while replacing the character with it's corresponding HTML entity, the character plus two more characters get replaced.

The problem is caused by a difference between the way Adobe is handling XSL in older versions 2014 vs. 2018 or newer. Attached you will find an example export of the 2014 export and the 2018 export using the exact same XSL. Notice that in the 2018 TWO characters after every special character are getting replaced. I have also attached…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Некорректно работает пробная версия

При запуске Indesign вылазит окошко с активацией пробной 7-дневной версии, после ее активации данное окно не пропадает и появляется на экране каждые 10 секунд. Что-либо редактировать в файле не получается. Помимо этого это окно с активацией еще и тормозит, какой смысл давать пользоваться демо-версией 7 дней, если она работает неправильно?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Corrupt/pixelated cursor Issue in InDesign on MacOS High Sierra

In InDesign is a Problem with the Cursor on iOS Hight Sierra Beta Version 10.13 (17A315i). I Attached a short Video file. It is better as the describe when you what I means. Thank you.

303 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

240 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. table formatting

Menu for formatting Table 'alternate row' shading, doesn't make sense — it gives options for 'Every other row' and 'Every second row'. To me those are redundant.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. variables not wrapping

variables not wrapping => I am posting this again. It looks like this bug was reported 9 years ago and is still yet to be addressed

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Stop making InDesign preferences default to rich black

Stop making the InDesign preferences default back to "rich black" under appearance of black whenever InDesign is updated, or the preferences are cleared. InDesign was originally created for print designers despite this expanding in this screen it should still default to " display all Blacks accurately", and "output all Blacks accurately". Since the change in the setting for print designers could end up costing quite a lot of money if not caught before it goes to press.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Anchored Object Lock/Prevent Manual Position Override

The Prevent Manual Positioning creates a Locked Object, but unlocking the widget doesn't remove the Prevent manual override.

When you check to "Prevent Manual Override" an anchored object receives a lock adornment. An object Style can be created from this object. If that lock is unlocked the Object style shows as override, but the "Prevent Manual Override" is still checked.

If the object style is redefined. The lock adornment is still unlocked, and the "Prevent Manual Positioning" is still checked. Reapplying the style locks the object.

There should be more consistent behaviour of "Prevent Manual Positioning" and the "Lock". Even…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Removing blank lines from Data Merge resets the paragraph style of the blank line to the style directly above it

This is version 14.0.2 of InDesign for the mac

For example, in a business card, some employees have a direct and mobile phone number, some employees only have a direct phone number. If there is a "Direct" paragraph style and a "Mobile" paragraph style, on a record where there isn't a Mobile number, after previewing the next record with both numbers the "Direct" paragraph style is now applied to the Mobile number.

The data merge should retain the paragraph styles based on the placeholders, not the previewed data.

Images I have attached:
    1: placeholder view showing Direct style
    2: placeholder…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Tutorial sample files will not open

I've got version 14.0.2
    In Turtorial, I click Get Files in order to download the files that carry the examples to be used in the tutorial. They download okay, but I can Open them (either from InDesign itself or by clicking the Explorer).
    I get a dialog box reading:

Adobe InDesign:
    "Cannot open the file "._Apply_color.indd". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. arabic harakats moving

Hi!

There is interesting bug with arabic letters. When we have aleef-lyam-aleef with harakats + footnote references with more than one symbol (from 1 to 9, no problem, 10+ or (1), problems starts) on the line, harakats swap together. Have tried with multiple fonts, most of them (adobe font too) got this error.

Tested this in 2014 and 2018 ME versions of Indesign.

Hope you can easily fix it, cause it's a real problem for book publishing.
    Thank you!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base