Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multiple listings of same font in Find Font menu

There are multiple listings of the same font in the Find Font menu in CC2019. All information is the same, all applied characters are the same, but there is odd behavior.

--FileA_CC2019_WithDocumentsfontsfolder.png shows double listing of Trade Gothic LT Pro Roman.

--FileA_CC2019_WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (when I take away access to Document fonts folder, no other changes), one instance switches to "Regular" instead of "Roman"

--FileA_CC2017_WithDocumentfontsfolder.png shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

--FileA_CC2017_WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (Document fonts folder hidden) shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

I process large volumes of files;…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Redraw problems when having multiple Textboxes in a Textflow (Often used in DatabasedPublishing)

macOS: 10.13.6
    InDesign: 14.0.2.

When placing a Text-Frame that Adjusts in height inside of a "Master-Textframe" (Often used in DatabasedPublishing to paginate Products that should not split between columns etc.) InDesign fails to redraw the placements of other Objects correctly - AND IT EXPORTS TO PDF!

This is horrible and has already lead to some huge problems in big Projects where we needed to work this way but InDesign made it a pain.

See attached Video for clarification.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New saved Workspace not saving the Panels and Other customizations in InDesign

created and saved a new workspace with various Window Panels and Menu customizations, but when I go to another workspace and back (like Essentials), I lose my customizations.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SVG Font Designation Not Shown in Find Font

If a font is an SVG font, InDesign shows the square box "SVG" designation in the font dropdown. However, if you view the font info under Find Font (Type>Find Font), the font type does not show as SVG. There is no way to determine if an SVG font was used in the file other than to view in the font dropdown. That is a problem as SVG fonts are not supported in PDF yet and will not be caught by preflight. Can the SVG designation be added to the Find Font info screen?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. Hyperlinks copy/pasted between files *appear* to break after source document is removed.

Using CC2019 on a Mac running High Sierra

Steps to reproduce:
    1) Create a document with a few hyperlinks in it.
    2) Whilst this document is open, open a 2nd document, and copy/paste the links from one document to the other.
    3) Save both and close.
    4) Trash source document

Expected result: hyper links should work in Target document as expected.

Actual result: hyperlinks all appear broken in document. Whilst an exported PDF appears to still work, ID reports all those links as broken.

Other details:
    If you retrieve the source document from the trash, it the links in the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. CC library desconfigured after dragging in a table

Hi there,
    I dragged a table from one page to the cc library panel and it turned black with code characters in colors. I lost all the libraries... can not find them anymore, not even delete this code or replace. Nothing. Please help

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. GREP, odd behaviour in InDesign v. 14.0.2

Search and replace with GREP in InDesign version 14.0.2 behaves oddly.

This simple GREP used to work fine:
    (?<=\s)([\u\s\,]+)$

It matches upper case letters, commas and space between them at the end of a paragraph. But now it only matches some of them.

Really strange.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Data Merge won't include emoji unicode characters

I've created a test file with links and images and test text to try and replicate the fault. Follow the steps in the InDesign file attached.

Put simply, text – whether it is UTF-8 or UTF-16 can import unicode characters that are meant to represent emojis etc, and this is demonstrated in the test file. While not in the minion character set, I've created a GREP style that looks for unicode characters and changes them to apple color emoji. That bit works.
    What does NOT work is when importing the text as part of a data merge... instead the unicode…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Please can you confirm if this GREP query works for small text ranges? (for example text selection containing around 10K characters)
    For me, the query works for just in a document containing one (.) followed by one endnote marker

If it works for you as well on small documents, your issue may be same as https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37286893-cc-14-0-2-grep-search-not-working

-Adobe InDesign Team

10. Pages Panel shows scroll bar starting at wrong page

This only happens on startup of InDesign.

I open a document that has many pages from 2 -120.

The Pages panel has the scroll bars positioned at the top, next to pages 26-27.

If the scroll bars are at the top of the document, then pages 2-3 should be showing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Stop showing the "Setup Libraries Your Way" EVERY TIME I open creative cloud library

This thing is beyond annoying. Yes it was helpful the first time I saw it. But once I clicked it off once, I never needed to see it again. But this little f***er shows up every time I open the CC libraries after a restart. GIVE ME A DON"T SHOW AGAIN..... Please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Easier automatic page numbering

Make it easier to create automatic page numbering in InDesign. I would not have remembered to select the text frame, then navigate to TYPE > INSERT SPECIAL CHARACTERS > MARKERS > CURRENT PAGE NUMBER if it weren't for Google. This feature should not be an obscure tool, and should not be buried in panels. I feel like this feature should at least be in the Master Page Panel's drop down options (from the hamburger).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

14. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.
    suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

15. InDesign to InCopy Layout Malfunction

My company's graphics department develops scientific posters, and as a writer, I often have to make small adjustments to the text and am only given access to edit through InCopy (using version 14.0.2). This problem does not happen with every poster, but I often find that the whole frame of the poster is shifted when I open the assignments file in InCopy (please see example photos). I'm able to make my edits, but I can't export to a PDF without having the bleed, header, etc. shifted as I see it in InCopy. Our graphics department thinks this is a bug…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Data merge should work better with % - empty fields

when working with factsheets it occurs that there are fields of text that need to be merged. Whenever there is a special character the function doesn't work. This is very very very annoying. It is quite common to use % in text, or brackets (like this)

Also it should be possible to have a blank cell in the excel merge file. E.g. for 45 lines there is info, but for 1 there isn't. This should be able to be left blank and not obliged to fill in a 0 that you manually need to delete later on.

Merging happens for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Font Issue In Adobe InDesign version 14.0.1

Currently encountering an error within InDesign where certain fonts are displaying a explination mark and not working correctly. However, they appear as installed when using InDesign (please see attached)

The current workaround is to re-link the fonts to InDesign. Is there a known fix for this issue? Windows 10, InDesign version 14.0.1

Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Find/Change bug in Indesign 13.1.1

Text Find/Change seems to have a bug: let's suppose we have 2 paragraph styles, for example a title style and a body text style. In the document I received from our partner sometimes the body paragraphs wear the title style and they were manually overridden to look like the body style. To fix this error I tried to search for texts that has the title style but the font used is that of the body style. Indesign Finds something at the beginning of the body paragraph (a thin cursor-like thing can be seen there: it is the selected something) that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

20. file icon disappears upon update, association remains

Windows file icons disappear after update (14.0.2 x64) resulting in blank white icons, but files are still associated with InDesign.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base