Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 16.0 saves Converted files in last used folder, not containing folder

On Catalina OSX (10.15.7), InDesign 2021 (16.0) saves a Converted file to the last used Finder folder, rather than the folder the document is contained in.

Happens with 'Save As...', as well as saving InCopy assignments.

232 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

179 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Major System Font Issue!

WHAT THE FONT!?!

Our publishing company recently ran the InDesign update (to 15.0.2) and have discovered some major font issues. I have narrowed it down to InDesign 15.0.2, macOS Catalina 10.15.3, and Suitcase Fusion 21.0.0. I actually don't think Suitcase has too much to do with this, because the problem occurred after the InDesign update, but it's our font management software so I'm including it. Basically it appears system fonts have become problematic with InDesign. Packaged files are suddenly showing up with lots of the dreaded pink. I have tested about everything I can. I even created some very simple…

156 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

224 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Color Settings change to Emulate InDesign 2.0

Color Mode changes from whatever is set in InDesign when switching app from Adobe Photoshop to InDesign (latest versions) ... I am getting the same problem when switching from Photoshop to the latest Illustrator as well.

Problem Occurs even when InDesign (and Illustrator) are both shut down. After launching Photoshop and then shutting Photoshop down, Color Settings in InDesign and Illustrator are both changed to "Emulate".

PLEASE FIX IMMEDIATELY!!!! THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM and impacts my workflow horribly as I am back-and-forth between these applications regularly.

I have checked Bridge as well... and default is set to North American…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Indesign 2021 (16.0) IDLK file do not lock

It is currently possible that two users are able to open the same Indesign file. I am working on a network volume via VPN and it was possible for my colleague to open the same file i was working with. The *.idlk file was generated but it seems that it would not be recognized from the other Indesign my colleague was using.

I tried to reproduce this issuue with Indesign 2020 and all worked fine as expected.

This is an enormous issue for collaboration with other colleagues at the same projects.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Indesign 16.2.1

Indesign 16.2.1 half screen cut red. when adjust windows side by side and then return back, screen cut in half and turn red. After restart it happens again. Whats that? Thanks

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. windows long paths not supported

InDesign fails to open or place files with long paths in Windows. The "Long Paths Enabled" registry setting is enabled (i.e. it is set to 1). The problem affects several functions:

1. From Bridge, Place > In Indesign causes "Script Alert: Error: Expected a reference to an existing File/Folder"

2. DataMerge in InDesign: images with long paths are skipped, i.e. aren't merged. There is no error message.

3. From InDesign. I cannot manually place a file with a long path through the “Place” dialog box. The dialog box will display the folder and thumbnails, but when I click the image to place it,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. QR-Code Generator Problems with Umlauts in vCards

In the actual version of indesign (16.0) there is still an issue with internal generated vCard-QR-Code scanned by an iphone.

In germany there are special Characters called "Umlaute" (ü, ö, ä) or the "sharp s" (ß). If these characters are used in an vCard generated within the buildin function from indesign, they are replaced with other symbols on the iPhone QR-Code-Camera Reader.

I think this is only a Problem of the used vCard-Version. I think indesign uses Version 2.1 if you would just use Version 3.0 this issue does not appear.

please see attached one example

Kind regards from germany

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Can't Rename Objects in Layers Panel on MacOS Big Sur

Adobe Indesign 16.1, macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

I cannot rename objects or layers in the layers panel. I've attached a video of the typical triple-click method and all you see is a quick flash of the editing mode but it is never actually able to be edited.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Best update in years...Thank you!

For years, Adobe has added cloud features, glitches, ignored issues, and created a more bloated and buggy program. This is the first update in years that has improved things people including myself have been asking for a long time (some since the birth of CC).

Thank you! I hope this is a shift in direction as there is more to be fixed (mainly resource utilization efficiency and long requested productivity features for professionals.)

Keep up this great work!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. new folder

command Shift N – new folder when trying to save/export a file - it doesn't work for me in Indesign 2020 with Mojave.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Object States panel - Renaming is not working

InDesign isn't allowing me to rename the different states in "object layer states". I have looked this up and there are a couple of other people who have posted about the same thing. I am running InDesign 16.0.2 and its on a MacBook Pro running the OS BIg Sur.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Uservoice shows error message and creates double posts

I've klicked on publish button and got a error message at my last post.
    I thought maybe it's a problem with the size of the attachment, so I've tried an other file and got no problems at publishing.
    Now I've seen, that the first two attempts, that were stopped by a error message of this system here, were published too.
    So fyi, I didn't want to make a double or tripple post.

Maybe you want to take a look at this behaviour too.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Rechtschreibprüfung

Rechtschreibprüfung "Deutsch: Schweiz" seit Juni 2021 falsch: Es wird Rechtschreibprüfung Deutschland angezeigt.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. index marker grep bug in findchangelist

The prelisted double to single space query in the findchangebylist.jsx also delets index markers between spaces.

While using the find-exchange window in ID to first look for [space]+(~I+)[space]+ to exchange it with [space]$1 works well enough, putting this in the findchangelist.txt, it deletes the index markers aswell. (note: [space] is only to visualize a regular space. I'm not writing it out in my queries.)

I also noticed, that they also only partially work in the regular GREP search in the F/E-window: using lookahead or lookbehind is only able to find the position of the marker but not the character that…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Letter "a" does not appear

I was configuring Indesign Preferences on a new document. Suddenly, the letter "a" stopped working. I mean, I can't write a single word with the letter "a".
    Tried to open older documents, and the letter appeared when I pressed the button!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. InDesign does not handle a nukta with Tamil script

The Tamil Unicode block does not contain a nukta, for languages written in Tamil script that need a nukta there are two characters in the Grantha block that can (possibly) be used.

U+1133B COMBINING BINDU BELOW
    U+1133C GRANTHA SIGN NUKTA

Dotted circles are shown, and left vowels are not always re-ordered.
    This is with InDesign 16.1 on Windows 10 Dev channel of Insider Preview

Edition Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview
    Version Dev
    Installed on ‎2021-‎03-‎30
    OS build 21343.1000
    Experience Windows 10 Feature Experience Pack 321.7401.0.3

The files withharfbuzz.png (HarfBuzz enabled https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/script-for-enabling-harfbuzz-workflow-in-indesign/m-p/11319835) and worldready.png (Lipika) show how InDesign…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. sticky rollover state on form checkboxes and radio buttons

I'm having an issue with checkboxes and radio buttons. I have a normal, off, rollover, and on state. The off state is 70% paper fill, the on and rollover states are slightly larger graphics with 100% fill and drop shadows, and the on state also has a green fill.

When exported to interactive pdf, the rollover state sticks and stays even after mouse out, causing the off state to rest on top of the rollover state. If I continue to mouse over the element, the drop shadow will get thicker and increasingly darker until black.

I'm using InDesign 16.2.1 on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Home screen does not keep record of last opened file

In previous version the opening window with the Home button : does not accurately keep updating the last opened job.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. index bug

Hi, I've got a large book which I'm indexing. I need to index our product codes alongside indexing normal reference - two examples are PBR030SETK and PBR30SETK. When I reference both of these (separately) the index automatically adjusts the second reference to match the previously indexed reference eg if I tag PBR030SETK that works fine, but then when I tag PBR30SETK it adjusts the reference to be PBR030SETK, but they should be appearing as two separate references. I typically tag product codes with a $ first, but it has the same glitch whether the dollar sign is tagged in the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base