Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SVG Font Designation Not Shown in Find Font

If a font is an SVG font, InDesign shows the square box "SVG" designation in the font dropdown. However, if you view the font info under Find Font (Type>Find Font), the font type does not show as SVG. There is no way to determine if an SVG font was used in the file other than to view in the font dropdown. That is a problem as SVG fonts are not supported in PDF yet and will not be caught by preflight. Can the SVG designation be added to the Find Font info screen?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.
    suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

3. 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. GREP, odd behaviour in InDesign v. 14.0.2

Search and replace with GREP in InDesign version 14.0.2 behaves oddly.

This simple GREP used to work fine:
    (?<=\s)([\u\s\,]+)$

It matches upper case letters, commas and space between them at the end of a paragraph. But now it only matches some of them.

Really strange.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Index sorting does not care about language setting

1. InDesign 14.0.1 x64
    2. Create a document.

Add an index reference for the word "Skrå".
    Add an index reference for the word "Skrivare".
    Add an index reference for the word "Överleva".
    Add an index reference for the word "Ondska".

Go to index Sort Settings. Select Header Type Finnish/Swedish for the Roman script.

Generate an index.

Observe:
    Ondska is placed under O.
    Överleva is placed under Ö. Which is at the end of the alphabet. This is as it should be, here in Sweden-land.

However:
    Skrivare is placed below Skrå. Despite å being placed last in the swedish alphabet. We…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Corrupt/pixelated cursor Issue in InDesign on MacOS High Sierra

In InDesign is a Problem with the Cursor on iOS Hight Sierra Beta Version 10.13 (17A315i). I Attached a short Video file. It is better as the describe when you what I means. Thank you.

301 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

240 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Anchored Object Lock/Prevent Manual Position Override

The Prevent Manual Positioning creates a Locked Object, but unlocking the widget doesn't remove the Prevent manual override.

When you check to "Prevent Manual Override" an anchored object receives a lock adornment. An object Style can be created from this object. If that lock is unlocked the Object style shows as override, but the "Prevent Manual Override" is still checked.

If the object style is redefined. The lock adornment is still unlocked, and the "Prevent Manual Positioning" is still checked. Reapplying the style locks the object.

There should be more consistent behaviour of "Prevent Manual Positioning" and the "Lock". Even…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Removing blank lines from Data Merge resets the paragraph style of the blank line to the style directly above it

This is version 14.0.2 of InDesign for the mac

For example, in a business card, some employees have a direct and mobile phone number, some employees only have a direct phone number. If there is a "Direct" paragraph style and a "Mobile" paragraph style, on a record where there isn't a Mobile number, after previewing the next record with both numbers the "Direct" paragraph style is now applied to the Mobile number.

The data merge should retain the paragraph styles based on the placeholders, not the previewed data.

Images I have attached:
    1: placeholder view showing Direct style
    2: placeholder…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. arabic harakats moving

Hi!

There is interesting bug with arabic letters. When we have aleef-lyam-aleef with harakats + footnote references with more than one symbol (from 1 to 9, no problem, 10+ or (1), problems starts) on the line, harakats swap together. Have tried with multiple fonts, most of them (adobe font too) got this error.

Tested this in 2014 and 2018 ME versions of Indesign.

Hope you can easily fix it, cause it's a real problem for book publishing.
    Thank you!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Problems with zoom on tablets wacom

The Zoom function (Zoom In and Zoom Out) made with two fingers directly on the Wacom tablet (in my case an Intuos Pro L) or made using the Wacom Touch Ring tablet still does not work in InDesign, for a long time, with different versions of InDesign and with different operating systems (OS Mavericks - Sierra-High Sierra and now also Mojave ...).
    All this is very frustrating, because it eliminates a very important function for those who have to paginate!
    On all other programs (Illustrator, Photoshop and competition programs - Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher Beta) it works regularly: I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. InDesign Fonts folder no longer respects symlinks (2019, Mac)

The Fonts folder in the InDesign 2019 application folder no longer follows symlinks, as previous versions did.

I prefer to keep my InDesign fonts separate from my system fonts, and in previous versions placed a symlink to my font folder in the InDesign application folder, titled "Fonts." InDesign would follow that link, and I would have access to all of my fonts within InDesign, without needing to install them user- or system-wide.

In InDesign 2019, no symlinks are followed - not on the top level, and not inside the folder either. (Tested by symlinking one font or one folder inside…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space on the page where is the reference number

Indesign CC 14.0.1
    MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.6

unfortunately it happens very often that the text of the footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space (several lines) on the page where is the footnote’s reference number.
    for this bug, the result of many jobs is very bad

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe

Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe :

Hello, just like this guy below :

Help! Unable to activate fonts InDesign 2019

I can't sync fonts on indesign from Adobe Fonts. Nothing works. Tried everything.

Tried syncing them from the Adobe Font website, tried in Indesign, uninstalled all indesign versions, restarted preferences, uninstalled adobe cloud.

tried everything,

Deactivating fonts on adobe font website, reactivating them. Doing the same in the cloud app. No fix.

FONTS HAVING ISSUES : Source Sans pro, Open Sans, League Gothic, Fire Sans , Fire Sans 2.

The error message is : "unable to sync one…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve seen this issue happen when you have the same Font already installed on your machine.

So you may try going to where your Fonts are installed on Windows machine – (Control panel > Fonts) and uninstall/remove the Fonts that you are unable to Sync from Adobe Fonts.

Hopefully, the problem should get resolved.

Adobe InDesign team

16. error message about activating fonts constantly flicking up, then disappearing.

the error message is constantly just flicking on screen and disappearing. it even pops up when using other programs in front of in design.

could fonts just go into memory once you open a doc and there is plenty of memory left. to avoid constant font issues. indesign is always telling me fonts that are installed have gone missing, then a few seconds later they come back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Cannot replace fonts and now cannot change fonts

Please help with this issue. I am trying to edit an InDesign file designed by someone else so I can create a new version for this year. I am replacing the missing fonts and had replaced most of them in "Find Fonts" but that stopped working for certain fonts. Then I tried to select text manually and change the font using the Character Palette, which worked fine, until it didn't. Now I cannot change the missing fonts and they are still missing! I am using CC 2019.

Could Adobe Fonts be interfering?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Lag in InDesign 14.0.1 when doing ANYTHING.

Lag in InDesign 14.0.1 when doing ANYTHING. Every time I click my mouse, make a move, do a single thing there is a 20-40 second LAG. This is beyond annoying. I am on a very tight deadline just like 99% of your other users. YOU NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT ADOBE!!!!! And don't you dare tell me it's been figured out. I'm starting a new post per your request on March 26, 2019. FIX THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. font search

Have text or text box highlighted and want to select new font. Go to type in the Character box for a font I know I have, but it will not recognise it (happens with multiple fonts, not one particular one). If I then open the menu and scroll down the list and manually select the font I want, I can then type it in.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Properties Panel captures mouse scrolling inside fields

The Properties Panel inside InDesign 2019 is meant to be the new central location for most of the common settings in InDesign. So it is accessed pretty frequently by most users on a daily basis.

However if you happen to use InDesign on a low-res monitor, or have increased UI text for accessibility purposes, or even just use InDesign in a non-maximised window, it suffers from a big flaw.

These scenarios require the user to scroll the panel up or down to access hidden properties. However, the mouse scroll action is inadvertently captured by the various fields on the panel,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base