Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 16.0 saves Converted files in last used folder, not containing folder

On Catalina OSX (10.15.7), InDesign 2021 (16.0) saves a Converted file to the last used Finder folder, rather than the folder the document is contained in.

Happens with 'Save As...', as well as saving InCopy assignments.

227 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

166 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Major System Font Issue!

WHAT THE FONT!?!

Our publishing company recently ran the InDesign update (to 15.0.2) and have discovered some major font issues. I have narrowed it down to InDesign 15.0.2, macOS Catalina 10.15.3, and Suitcase Fusion 21.0.0. I actually don't think Suitcase has too much to do with this, because the problem occurred after the InDesign update, but it's our font management software so I'm including it. Basically it appears system fonts have become problematic with InDesign. Packaged files are suddenly showing up with lots of the dreaded pink. I have tested about everything I can. I even created some very simple…

139 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

198 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Indesign 2021 (16.0) IDLK file do not lock

It is currently possible that two users are able to open the same Indesign file. I am working on a network volume via VPN and it was possible for my colleague to open the same file i was working with. The *.idlk file was generated but it seems that it would not be recognized from the other Indesign my colleague was using.

I tried to reproduce this issuue with Indesign 2020 and all worked fine as expected.

This is an enormous issue for collaboration with other colleagues at the same projects.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. QR-Code Generator Problems with Umlauts in vCards

In the actual version of indesign (16.0) there is still an issue with internal generated vCard-QR-Code scanned by an iphone.

In germany there are special Characters called "Umlaute" (ü, ö, ä) or the "sharp s" (ß). If these characters are used in an vCard generated within the buildin function from indesign, they are replaced with other symbols on the iPhone QR-Code-Camera Reader.

I think this is only a Problem of the used vCard-Version. I think indesign uses Version 2.1 if you would just use Version 3.0 this issue does not appear.

please see attached one example

Kind regards from germany

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. new folder

command Shift N – new folder when trying to save/export a file - it doesn't work for me in Indesign 2020 with Mojave.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Missing strikethrough, replace text, and highlight options on share for review web link

We're using the public (with password) share for review option for our annual report because we didn't want one-time reviewers to have to make an account.

I thought that's why I was only seeing the draw and thumbtack options on the online review. But after updating InDesign the options appeared today. And then they disappeared again and I can't get them to come back.

I hope this feature can be fixed. It was so much easier to make the updates from the comments then emailed edits and scans of people markups that they PDF'd.

We had one other issue before,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Icon doesn't show

File doesn't show InDesign icon - InDesign 2021 - 16.0 + WIN 10

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. won't open 2020 indd file

Won't open Indd 2020 files when doubled clicked. Can't make Indd 2021 default program to open InDesign files. Have to open using File > Open menu. All InDesign files have blank white page icons next to them (windows 10). Uninstall/Reinstall doesn't fix problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. saving issue

When I open my existing files in newer version. and while saving it does not save the files using the same path .

just give a recent path of the file that were used before. So i have to again search the path and replace my files

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. save document

I have InDesign 16.0 with a Dell Windows 10 platform. When i use the file->save option InDesign randomnly chooses the folder from all of the document folders opened during the current session for the document to be saved in, rather than the existing folder where the document to be saved originated. Since on any given day, i might have opened 10 documents in 10 different folders, i have remember EVERY document worked on to hunt for my file. It used to be that if i used file->save InDesign would automatically target the source folder from which the document opened.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. cc libraries

In 2021 update, the cc libraries freeze and are unavailable. I tried to delete something from my library 3 times, and nothing happened. Then I closed the window, and when I reopened it had deleted three things.

Anyone else having issues with libraries with the new update?I know the 2021 update is still really new, so if this is already being fixed I apologize.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Active adobe fonts are unstable.

16.0 x64 - I have been experiencing issues with Adobe fonts, where I can't edit them. For example, resizing to a larger font value or even adding more text. The font (or the entire text box) will completely disappear or it will switch to a default font even though the correct font is chosen. The only way to correct it is to close the document and restart. But it doesn't mean the font will be stable. I don't seem to have this issue with locally installed fonts.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Thumb nail of indesign saved files not appearing after 2019 to 2020 update

Can anyone help me with this issue, since I update to the 2020 InDesign from 2019 all my icons in saved files don't show the InDesign thumbnail is this a bug or just me being dumb?

note -
    -Files still open as normal.
    -Even if I save them in 2020 formate still no icons
    -Other adobe programs since update show Icons.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. default file type

Running InDesign 2021 (16.0) under Windows 10 Pro v1909 Build 18363.1139, file extension .indd does not associate with InDesign and when attempt is made to 'Choose default apps by file type' under Default apps in Windows settings, the only choice offered for .indd file is 'Look for app in Microsoft store'.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. MacOS Big Sur Creative Cloud Download Manager iCon not clearly visible in Apple Menu

MacOS Big Sur Creative Cloud Download Manager iCon is barely showing up at the top of my screen. Since the top control bar in Big Sur is now transparent, I am using a black background so its quite faint. Attaching screen shot. This wasn't an issue with previous OS and had the same black background.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Print doc from the "share for review" page

To review a document, some people like to print it to have a better look at it.

Currently there is no option to print from the new "share for review" page, but having it would be very useful for some.
    Otherwise we still need to make and send a separate pdfs for review.

So, it would be appreciated if you can somehow add it.

Sincerely
    JP

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Drag-Duplicating using Alt/Opt key does not work if key is pressed after dragging

InDesign 2020 OPTION Duplicate is now broken, just like Photoshop has always been.

Don't make me commit to the duplicate before moving an item.

Sometimes I'll move a box, then realize I intended to duplicate it, so then I'll press OPTION... now I have to commit to it FIRST.

Fix this and stop breaking things!

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we’re still working to make the fix available for this issue, we suggest a workaround to overcome it.

Open Preferences > Interface. At the bottom of this dialog, change “Live Screen Drawing” to “Never”.

As mentioned above, we’re working to fix this issue.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

18. color profile problem

what's happening?
    the same file, but on one page - one color profile,
    and on the second page - already a different color profile ??????

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Data Merge function "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" deletes the wrong paragraph

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server

Adobe InDesign 15.0.1

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 27 Zoll End 2012

Steps to reproduce the issues

See also attached video

Open Document "02VKLeerzeilenTEMPEnde.indd"
    Open Data-Merge Panel
    Generate a merged document with click on the button
    Uncheck "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" in Content Placement Options
    Press [OK]
    Repeat Step 3 this time Check "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" in Content Placement Options
    Press [OK]
    Put the documents side by side
    Activate "Show Style override" in the paragraph panel
    Jump to page 2
    On the left…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. v. 16.0 updated backwards to v. 15.1.3

Hi! My team and I uses InDesign on an everyday basis, and today we ran into a problem.

A few weeks ago we updated InDesign to the newest version (Version 16.0) - but this morning our Creative Cloud told us there's been a new update and then it updated automatically to 15.1.3?

We tried to open one of our InDesign files, but it told us that it has been created in a newer version and wanted us to update to that version (Or we could just convert our files and maybe face the consequences of losing some of our content).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base