Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.

suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. Latest InDesign closes all open projects when closing one.

InDesign v 14.0.3
    Open multiple files, ie editing two projects
    Make changes to one and not the other
    Quit the one with NO changes
    InDesign quits all files including the one that has changes without saving it first

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Cursor - Zoom in and out/left and right on trackpad not working

When using my trackpad on Windows 10, two fingers up and down works when editing a document. Two fingers left and right does nothing and pinching in and out doesnt zoom, it scrolls right to left. This is the same across all my adobe platforms. Everything else on my laptop scrolls accordingly on the trackpad.
    I only downloaded the adobe software last night and my laptop is brand new yesterday. All updates are up to date.

Thank you for helping in advance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. InDesign to InCopy Layout Malfunction

My company's graphics department develops scientific posters, and as a writer, I often have to make small adjustments to the text and am only given access to edit through InCopy (using version 14.0.2). This problem does not happen with every poster, but I often find that the whole frame of the poster is shifted when I open the assignments file in InCopy (please see example photos). I'm able to make my edits, but I can't export to a PDF without having the bleed, header, etc. shifted as I see it in InCopy. Our graphics department thinks this is a bug…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Data merge should work better with % - empty fields

when working with factsheets it occurs that there are fields of text that need to be merged. Whenever there is a special character the function doesn't work. This is very very very annoying. It is quite common to use % in text, or brackets (like this)

Also it should be possible to have a blank cell in the excel merge file. E.g. for 45 lines there is info, but for 1 there isn't. This should be able to be left blank and not obliged to fill in a 0 that you manually need to delete later on.

Merging happens for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Indesign color separations preview does not work correctly

The preview goes haywire when I turn separations on and off in InDesign. See screengrabs. Is there a workaround? I have ben unable to find one so far - are Adobe just choosing to ignore this issue?

• iMac Reina 5k, 27in, 2017

• Mac OS 10.14.5

• InDesign 14.0.2

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. font cache

Fonts in Document fonts folder are not removeable anymore.
    I’m a typedesigner and check fonts by generating them into a Document fonts folder. In the past the fonts were always at once updated in Indesign, when I overwrote the fontfile. This does not work anymore.
    What is worse. A font that I generated into the folder is still visible in the font menue of the document, and I can still select and use it, even if the file does not exist anymore on the computer. It only disappears if I cut the internet. So it seems the font is stored…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Font Issue In Adobe InDesign version 14.0.1

Currently encountering an error within InDesign where certain fonts are displaying a explination mark and not working correctly. However, they appear as installed when using InDesign (please see attached)

The current workaround is to re-link the fonts to InDesign. Is there a known fix for this issue? Windows 10, InDesign version 14.0.1

Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Layer

When i change the opacity of a layer, the other layers are hurted, why?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Reaching InDesign’s limits when importing XML

Late 2013 Mac Pro (3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D500 3072MB, Mojave 10.14.2)

2017 iMac Pro (2.3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64GB 266 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB, Mojave 10.14.4)

InDesign CC 2019

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    - Create XML file (8k lines) to import copy into InDesign with tags and linking to 700+ images (343x343px, CMYK jpegs)
    - Create 74pp InDesign template 12 text boxes per page, content flowing, with 50+ paragraph and character styles
    - Expected result: Text and images flowing through text boxes, allowing editing and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Interactive Buttons "go to destination" stop at page 114

Hi,
    i cannot select more than 114 pages as a destination of an interactive button in a document with a total of 120 pages. I can't see why that's not possible, so this must be a bug?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Find/Change bug in Indesign 13.1.1

Text Find/Change seems to have a bug: let's suppose we have 2 paragraph styles, for example a title style and a body text style. In the document I received from our partner sometimes the body paragraphs wear the title style and they were manually overridden to look like the body style. To fix this error I tried to search for texts that has the title style but the font used is that of the body style. Indesign Finds something at the beginning of the body paragraph (a thin cursor-like thing can be seen there: it is the selected something) that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

14. indd 14.0.3 - mojave os FONTS ARE GONE FROM MY DOC

indd 14.0.3 - mojave os - working until 7 last night, very slow but working. this morning at 5am took long time to open program, once the doc finally opened all the fonts were missing. creative cloud box says "...uses fonts that are currently unavailable on your computer." "Adobe Fonts could not find any matching fonts." I know the fonts are enabled, but still updated Font Explorer to a newer version then restarted. no luck. same message

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Direct open Pdf into Indesign with separate layers.

Hi, I would like to say i want to Direct open Pdf into Indesign with separate layers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. delete button doesn't work

Sometimes the delete button on keyboard just quits working for no reason. When I close ID and reopen it with the file again, the delete button is working OK again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Maintaining Text Formatting When Copying

Maintaining Text Formatting When Copying

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Corrupt overlay palette window -- stretched and can't be closed

The overlay palette window is ever-present when I open InDesign. Every time I close it from the 'window's dropdown (as it is to wide to find the X close window icon, it just keeps reopening? It is too wide to fit on the screen, and the text in the panel is pixelated. I have tried docking it to other windows to contain it, but it corrupts those too. Anyone else had this problem?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. cc library displays mainframe type screen

indesign cc library wont show anymore i keep getting a black screen with colourful text

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base