Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

365 results found

1. Incorrect Page Count Value

It appears that InDesign CS6 or any of the later CC versions is incorrectly writing the page count metadata, such as CC2018.

This can be demonstrated using Adobe Bridge or ExifTool with the -XMP-xmp:PageImagePageNumber command.

Files consisting of 1 to 2 pages are correctly reported. In all cases, only 2 pages are being shown, whether the file has 3, 4, 128 pages etc.

Screenshots from Bridge CC2018 uploaded/attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  ansjain responded

Hi Stephen,

There is a preference in InDesign to save preview images with document, by default ‘First 2 Pages’ is selected in that preference. You can change the setting as per your requirement. It is under ‘InDesign CC/ Edit→Preferences→File Handling’.

Thanks
    -Anshul

2. InDesign CC 2018 - Error message: "Ein Druckbogen kann maximal 10 Seiten enthalten."

Each time I place a new picture-box in a text the error message appears. Of course I don't have more than 2 pages on a "Druckbogen".
    Now I always have to wait until the message appears and have to click "OK". That's not funny. I Have to place more than 200 pics in the document...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

3. Bug copy and paste complex XML Element CC2018.1

Only on CC2018.1

The problem is highlighted by copying a complex XML TAG containing a nested structure of XML from one document to another.
    Only SOME TAG are pasted, not all and the parent TAG is missing.
    Both from programming and from interface

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Stack Order changes when pages deleted bug

When both "Allow Document Pages to shuffle" and "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle" are selected and you delete a spread some text boxes on other pages move behind placed graphics. To stop this unselect "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle" option.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Applying Master Page covers Document Pages

Version: InDesign CC
    Steps to Reproduce: Apply the Master page
    Expected Result: Master page would be in the background
    Actual Result: Master page is in the foreground

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

6. Problem with Ctrl+A

When you select a file with more than 500 pages with the command Ctrl + A, (to export RTF) Indesign hangs for many minutes. It did not happen in previous versions. Problem detected in Win10 64bit, the last 2 versions of Indesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

7. Select pages in a multi document file not displaying graphics or text.

Select pages in a multi-document file not displaying graphics or text. Layers display the links to text and graphics but does not display in Indesign nor after when it is PDF.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

8. Auto-Fit for resizing photos.

I've upgraded from InDesign CS6 to CC 2018, and cannot properly resize photos proportionately. Cannot locate "Auto-Fit" button though every tutorial/directions say this is what to use.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. An Orginalposition einfügen

Seid Adobe InDesign 2018 tritt folgendes Problem auf.
    Ich öffne ein mehrseitiges Dokument und kopiere eine Doppelseite - mit "apple + c" in die Zwischenablage. Anschließen erstelle ich ein neues Dokument (DIN A4, 2 Seiten) und füge den Inhalt der Zwischenablage über "An Orginalposition einfügen" ein. Nun werden verschieden Textboxen nicht mehr richtig angezeigt. So werden z.B. Texte die über "Textrahmenoptionen" "zentriert" ausgerichtet waren nicht mehr richtig angezeigt. Sie erscheinen nun wie einfach obenlinks ausgerichteter Text. Zur besseren Veranschaulichung habe ich zwei Sreenshots angefügt.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

10. Will not apply master other than "Master A"

InDesign 13.0
    Letter size document. When applying a new master to a single or a larger selection of pages or spread, it automatically goes back to "Master A".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?

Adobe InDesign team

11. transform

Special Character Current page numbers, double digits loose all kerning. Not able to adjust.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

12. changing document size

Hello!

I am using the latest Version of Indesign CC 2018. (13.0).
    The following bug exists in the previous version as well.

Create a new indesign document of (for example) 500 x 500mm.

Next, place some single objects close to the border, but stay inside the documentformat.

Now, go to "File; Document settings", where you can adjust the document size. Decrease the size from 500 x 500 to (for example) 400 x 400, with the Preview-Button ENABLED.

Wait for the moment until the Objects move OUTSIDE the document border, because of the to smaller fileformat.

Now, again increase the the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. pages panel collapses

My document has many pages, 50 or more. When I open the document, the pages panel, more often than not, is completely collapsed, and I have to manually resize it back so that I can see all of the pages.
    I have the latest version of ID. I have been using versions of ID since 2001, and I never had this problem until I purchased this one. It makes me feel regret for buying it, I can tell you. It might seem like a small thing, but believe me it is annoying.
    I know ID inside and out, but nothing…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Fond de page en gabarit qui se transforme en bloc image dans les pages du document lorsqu'on importe des images dans ces pages.

Sous InDesign 2017.1 build 12.1.0.56.

Je dois créer 8 panneaux différents comportant 1 logo blanc par panneau sur fond noir.

Pour créer mon fond noir et l'appliquer aux 8 pages de mon document en même temps, j'utilise un bloc vide avec couleur de remplissage noir sur le gabarit A (par défaut à la création du document). Je m'attends donc, comme d'habitude, à ce que ce fond soit en quelque sorte verrouillé sur les 8 pages de mon document et que je ne puisse intervenir dessus qu'en me positionnant sur mon gabarit.

Ensuite j'importe tous mes 8 logos en PDF que…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Blocked into portrait mode

My computer's touchscreen and, accidentally touching The screen, I pressed something that made all my pages go into portrait mode and I can't find a way to get them back into landscape mode. Please help! I need to finish my portfolio for tomorrow and this bug is really disturbing my work! I've already tried changing the orientation by going into file>documents setup, but the settings say my pages are already in landscape mode, even though they clearly aren't!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Inversion dans un menu

Indesign version 2017.1 (version française) : Pour autoriser la réorganisation des pages il faut décocher dans le menu "autoriser la réorganisation des pages" (au lieu de le cocher).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Indesign won't stop loading when adding a new page. Incredibly frustrating!

Indesign won't stop loading when adding a new page. Incredibly frustrating! Tried clearing other tabs, restart and shutdown computer, even updating won't solve this painful problem! I can't edit / add pages to my resume that I need to forward to a job application!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?

Adobe InDesign team

18. New Format in InDesign CC

Beim Anlegen eines neuen Formats kann man rechts oben im Optionsmenu die genauen Masse eingeben. Mit der TAB-Taste kommt man dann ja immer eine Option weiter. In Adobe Illustator und in Photoshop funktioniert das in der gewünschten Reihenfolge, im InDesign (deutsche Version) nicht: da folgt nach der Breitenangabe bei betätigter TAB-Taste die Frage nach der Einheit (z.B. mm etc.) und dann (nach weitere TAB-Taste) erst die zweite Grösse des Dokuments (also die Höhenangabe). Eigentlich sollte die logische Reihenfolge ja lauten: Breite > Höhe > Einheit.

In english:
    When creating a new format, you can enter the exact mass in the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Enable Layout Adjustment Fails

After Enabling Layout Adjustment, then changing the page size, I get an error message that reads "Internal error communicating with AI rulebase. Layout adjustment could not be performed."

The document page size does in fact change, but pages in spreads actually overlap. Rulers at top of page do not show correct page size except on single pages (for instance, the first and last page of a facing-pages document).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. wont activate clipping path in InDesign

shows clipping path available under options, but will only activate if done thru Phototshop

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base