2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

4922 results found

1. Always fill the type area

Please give us an option to always fill the type area. When setting up books like novels many customers want the type area to be filled up to the last line. But setting up the text wrap to avoid widows and orphans often leads to blank lines at the bottom of the type area. Normally we try to get around this by increasing or decreasing text spacing or scaling a bit to save or generate an additional line. It would be wonderful to have an option that brings InDesign to always try to fill the type area.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Smart Text Reflow + Data Merge

When using Data Merge, if text is too long to fit on the standard 2-page Master page spread, then InDesign should automatically create additional pages (either by repeating the Master spread, or allowing Master spreads to consist of more than 2 pages) utilizing Smart Text Reflow to continue the text thread instead of oversetting the text.

My personal use case: I am working with a teacher at a university to create a literature magazine, and need to compile multiple long-form submissions into one document. Since up to 200 students could be submitting work, it is important that this can be…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Gradient Panel

Please provide more options for the gradient panel like those in Illustrator.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add Clarivate Endnote for Indesign - Dynamic - work straight from indesign itself

No need to tell Adobe that MS Word is NOT the way to layout text and graphics, but academia is stuck using MS Word because Adobe does not have support for Endnote software. Indesign endnote features can't compete with the specific capability of the Endnote software. (Search loads of online resources for your references.
    Access to full text research articles.
    Access your research from the cloud.
    Automatic and bulk reference updating..
    Search, read & review PDFs in your library.)
    PLEASE CONSIDER ADDING. Do not want it for incopy, or to import from Word, but to layout DIRECTLY in Indesign when…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I want to lock the palettes so I don't dislodge them accidentally

I have a tremor in my hands and dislodge my palettes when I try to open them. They are so sensitive! My tremor doesn't impact my work in any other way but this. It is frustrating and embarrassing when I am teaching InDesign to others. I have customized my workspace and I would like to "lock" it so I can't accidentally dislodge palettes. Of course I would still need to open and close and expand them as needed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add shortcut to clean up open panels

I often lose a panel when I'm working. A shortcut and/or View menu item to rearrange open panels so they do not overlap would save me a LOT of time hunting for them.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Book Styles

The book system needs a major overhaul. I should be able to update a style in one document and have it apply across the whole book immediately and quickly.

Right now, I have to through the painful synchronization process. Often that key source document that defines styles is not the best place to make edits to styles that only appear in another part of the book.

Also, if I rename a style, it doesn't propagate that style name change to through book, but rather adds a new style everywhere, making it a huge mess.

I waste so much time with…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Redesign keyboard shortcut system to mimic that of After Effects

After effects uses a mappable graphic interface of a keyboard. Utilizing this interface would make reassigning keyboard shortcuts a much simpler and more intuitive endeavor. Along with allowing any command to be assignable to any keystroke/key combination it would be unbeatable. I don't understand why this isn't just the Adobe standard for all desktop applications. Can they not share? They put so much effort into syncing through the cloud but they don't put effort into matching their programs up to each other.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Incorporate the feature for hyperlinks and buttons to open the clicked url in a new browser window.

Please can you incorporate the feature for hyperlinks and buttons to have the option to open the clicked url in a new browser window. I feel this is something that would be farely easy for a developer to introduce as a feature, that would greatly benefit alot of Designers that use Adobe InDesign to publish interactive pdfs online.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add the ability to select a parent for the following page or spread.

In the "Parent Options" dialog box (on Windows, though I'm sure it's pretty consistent cross-platform) there's the options for the current spread.

What if we could add a limitation that allowed you to specify the parent style for adding pages?

For example, if I had a chapter head page, having it be able to automatically switch to the standard body parent would be a time saver for that highly repetitive task.

The option would be after "Number of Pages" and probably say something like "Parent for Following Page" with a selector for the existing parents, and another selector with "Following…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Instead of allowing objects to leave the pasteboard, just move them to the edge of the pasteboard

I often place and then resize images in InDesign. Very often when I go to resize an image, I get the error "This would cause one or more objects to leave the pasteboard" and I can't actually resize all the way down to a manageable size—I have to move the entire image somewhere random and try to resize, or just resize in increments, move the image, and resize again.

I understand that I don't want objects to leave the pasteboard. But if an object is about to leave the pasteboard, why can't it just move to the edge of the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Hyperlink updates

It seems odd that there is no way to have hyperlinks open in new windows, or have noopener/noreferrer options. The new window would make exported pdfs much easier to use especially since most browsers open pdf links instead of having the document downloaded. And, given the nature of the internet these days, making all links default to a rel="noreferrer noopener" seems like a smart idea to make links safer to use.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. View menu > Fit Page Width to Screen

1. Add a command under the View menu—Fit Page Width to screen.

2. When I'm editing and formatting type, I like to make the type as large as possible, but still fit the page width to the screen, so I don't have to scroll.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Rounded corner table cells

We had some Adobe people here to showcase new features in Creative Cloud. One gentleman was named Jamie Ragen. I asked them if they have any intention to create a feature for rounded corners for table cells. The reason I find this important is that some clients have rounded corner objects as part of their style, and it would be good to match that with their tables. This would create a consistent look. Jamie was kind enough to suggest I bring this up in this forum. I hope this generates some action from Adobe.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enable link transfer of Publish Online projects

It would be useful to be able to transfer a project with Publish Online link to another user, so that they can update and publish revised versions of the asset without having to create new links.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Maintain the Layers Panel scroll position when switching between documents.

Maintain the Layers Panel scroll position when switching between documents.
    At the moment when you switch between documents the scroll position of the Layers Panel 'resets' to showing the top most item in the layers list.
    On documents with many layers (where the scroll bar is present) every time you switch documents you have to scroll down to find the active layer. Very unproductive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Maintain the Layers Panel scroll position when switching between documents.

Maintain the Layers Panel scroll position when switching between documents.
    At the moment when you switch between documents the scroll position of the Layers Panel 'resets' to showing the top most item in the layers list.
    On documents with many layers (where the scroll bar is present) every time you switch documents you have to scroll down to find the active layer. Very unproductive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make it easier to find the option for 4-page spreads.

The User Guide needs to include information about creating 4-page spreads. For book editing, seeing 8 pages at a time is great (on a larger monitor screen, which as a book publisher I use.). The Page function allows a 4-page spread, or more, when the user disables the Shuffle setting and drags and connects 4 pages together horizontally in the page view. Fine. I found this out on some non-Adobe graphic design forum by luck. This wasn't anywhere in the Adobe InDesign help or user information that I could find. Include this in the User Guide! Improve it so it's…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Text Frame Auto-Size in story mode (linked frames)

Dear Indesign Development Team,

Please fix the Auto-Size Text Frame feature in InDesign. When running a story through multiple text frames the Auto-Size feature does not work. The feature should recognize the Frame Break or Column Break symbol as the end of the text in a frame and Auto-Size the frame accordingly. Please! I am tired of hacking my way through features to get the result I want while I feel it should be real simple.

Comment and vote if you agree.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Tab in footnote prefix for aligned decimals

I have a document with over 100 footnotes. I need to align the decimals of every footnote. To do this, I expected to be able to set up in the footnote style an "align to decimal" tab, and then a "justify left" tab for the footnote content, and then a TAB prefix in the "Document Footnote Options." However, there seems to be no way to place a tab as a Footnote text prefix. Entering ^t does nothing, and it gets cleared as soon as I close the options window. Other text or even special characters like ^r for registered trademark…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base