1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Background Tasks Pane animation

Create an animation setting for the Background Task Pane so that the pane gives feedback while in a closed, docked position.

Why this is important is simple. Even with the larger and larger monitors with more and more real estate, simple things like the Background Tasks Pane having to be fully open to be examined is counterintuitive and by extension counterproductive. I would like to be able, with a simple glance at a docked pane to tell exactly what state the background task is in and if further detail is desired or needed, then it can be expanded with the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Print menu switches back to "all" instead of "range" automatically

Every time you print a specific page, and need to print another the print menu automatically switches to "All" instead of "range" This causes a lot of paper waste and abort print job problems. Would it be an idea to make it so that indesign keeps the latest used setting instead? This have been suggested before i guess, but the problem is still there.

Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change message in home screen

Change from "When in doubt, make a layout." to "When it doubt, lay it out." It flows better.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create Alternate Layout - Orientation Issue

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature request. When creating an alternate layout from the original portrait letter size, shouldn't the Create Alternate Layout also display the same settings and orientation. It currently landscape the letter size.

I guess this works well for people who need to create a portrait and landscape version. This is not the case for me. I find myself creating either the same size and orientation or larger (poster).

This would be one less click in my process.

Thank you for your vote!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow Optical Margin Alignment to apply only to punctuation.

Optical Margin Alignment does a great job allowing quotation marks and hyphens to hang into the column gutters, but it also make characters like A, W, and T do the same, which is often too high a price to pay. Fix this by allowing an option it to only apply it to punctuation.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Hyphenation and Justification style

Please add ability of keeping hyphenation and justification options as a stand-alone style to use it in paragraph styles.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Flush Zone

Flush Zone: Specify the area before the right indentation within which the last word in the last line of a justified paragraph must fall in order to justify that line.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Export alternate layouts with layout name

It's been mentioned before, but seriously, it would save a lot of time, especially when exporting assets for social media that use the same size all the time. And that the export layout name is used in all exports nor only pdf.

Illustrator is able to do this =)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Select objects with similar stroke and/or fill color

Please add feature to select objects with similar stroke and/or fill color.

This has already been in Illustrator for quite awhile (to my knowledge). This would be good feature to have in InDesign also.

Thanks!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Script to help extract Black and white masks from color separation to photoshop smart objects for 3d

to make 3d from my indesign product packaging i use blender or c4d
    and use the script "layer to smart objects" and it's very great script but, when you have complexe printing process applied to the product, it will help to make Black and white masks from colors (cmyk and pantones) separation to help isolate the differents effects in your 3d app

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. a better way to make texts on circle or other form path (spline) for pictogrammes

when you have to do it but make a way to have it the most editable way because you have to make it to a lot of different languages. Maybe be a more efficient way with rules on path to automatically inverse it and center it on the center of the path and maybe an option to what part of the text is on one side and what part is on another actually if i do it correctly you often need two path one for top one for bottom part of circular text and when you whant to change one…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Remove plug in

I used an add-on module for years that I will not need anymore. Without the current version of this plugin, I can not package the files anymore. Therefore, I would like to permanently remove the plug-in from the file. For that I can not find a solution, except to first create an IDML file.
    I'm looking for a simpler solution, because I have several hundred files that are equipped with the module.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. export vectorized multi layered pdf option from indesign and other CC app

Actually you can export vectorized pdf in pdf 4 version using transparent infos to help the automatic vectorization but, you cant have it with separate layers.

Some pro printers dont want editable texts on pdf we send to them, but there is no simple way to do it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Table Formulas

It would be nice if Tables could handle simple mathematical formulas. Some information changes year to year, and manually updating it gets pretty monotonous.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. DataMerge icons/images inline into text frames

Add the ability to put file paths for icons/images with text in a cell, so that the images are merged inline with the text in a text frame. For example "Here is some text and here's an @icon.ai" would merge the icon.ai file into the text.

I know a lot of people who do work on card games using DataMerge, and this is the single most frequent request I get.

Currently the way we get around this is by merging text with placeholders like "[icon]", then copying the icon to the clipboard and doing a find and replace [icon] with…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I want "Turn Off Tooltips" back

I hate it that every time I update InDesign, I have to see all these hover boxes that want to walk me through what's new in this version. This always happens when I'm in a hurry and I just want to do something without having to wait for the Clippy-like helper box to dismiss itself. If I want to know what's new in the current version, I know I can find that information. These 'helper' tips are annoying beyond belief.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. make the footnote continue in the whole document rather than linked textframes

Let the footnote be continues in one document irrelevant to the text frames are linked or not

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Correction of double spaces between words

Since I mostly write directly in InDesign to get the text in combination with pictures I very often have to adjust that there are two or more spaces between words, which is not flagged in the software. In other writing softwares this is always taken care of but not in InDesign. I discover this problem now and then but not always.
    It would be a good help with such a function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Search like in Microsoft Word

Microsoft Word's current search feature is much more powerful than InDesign's. You just type in a word and it searches for it. You don't have to pick forwards or backwards, you can see the matches in the search pane in context… lots of other ways it's better than InDesign's search. Not sure how much of that is covered by patents, but the more you can emulate MS Word's search ease of use, the better.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base