Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign Accessibility Checker feature

I use Indesign to create ADA compliant documents. I constantly have to go between InDesign and Acrobat. It would be more productive if the accessibility features in Acrobat were included in InDesign. It would also be nice to have a built in color checker included in Indesign.

Is there a plug in available??

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow bullets and numbers to hang outside of the text frame

There is currently no way to make a bullet or number hang outside of a text frame properly. The "optical margin alignment" feature control is iffy at best.

Attached are two photos that show what I mean.

In the first example, the "Correct" green bullets are not achievable in InDesign unless every other paragraph except for the bulleted paragraph has an additional positive left indent on all of its lines. It would be so much easier if we could just add a negative left indent to the first line of the bulleted paragraphs.

In the second example, a document that…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. select similar

It would be helpful to have a select similar feature for lines and other drawn objects like in illustrator because sometimes I need to change a bunch of things to a different line weight and currently must manually find and change them. I always miss it when I'm working in Indesign instead of Illustrator.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Would like to be able to include fonts and links from linked Illustrator files when packaging an InDesign file for print

would like to be able to collect fonts and links in linked AI and PS files when packaging an ID file for print.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. the ability to export responsive web graphics

the ability to export marketing web graphics for all the different aspect ratios... ppt cover slides, twitter, facebook, linkedin, instagram, email headers... etc...

for example in illustrator I can do 3x, 2x, png and name art boards to the file extension.

indesign maybe the better place for this the illustrator because I can manage the content with variables, paragraph styles, and master pages

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Typekit vs InDesign Server

Integrate Aobde Typekit with InDesign server. If we use multiple adobe ID for InDesign desktop application and are having different typekit fonts with different adobe ID, how can we integrate Adobe TypeKit fonts with InDesign Server.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InDesign Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fit Page to Artwork Bounds or Selected Art

In Illustrator, there are two very useful features in the OBJECT >> ARTBOARDS menu:
    --Fit to Artwork Bounds
    --Fit to Selected Art

These automatically adjust the size of the artboard to either the outer boundaries of ALL the artwork on that artboard, or to the outer boundaries of the currently SELECTED artwork.

I use this all the time in Illustrator. To my knowledge there is no equivalent InDesign feature that automatically resizes a PAGE to the artwork on it. This would be very handy

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. scroll through PDF pages while ALREADY placing with cursor directly in document

i'd love to have a feature where i can scroll through the pages of a multi-page PDF document AFTER i i've been in the import options and when i'm already placing stuff directly in the document with the placement cursor.

for expample using the arrows keys (similar to creating a grid when placing multiple images) to scroll to page 5 when the next page would actually be page 2. in addition to the little preview image next to the cursor this might speed up things a lot in some cases.

enlighten me if this is already possible. all i found…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Optimise for web function

Optimise for web function when export jpegs out of Indesign

I find it a lot faster to layout and crop images to various sizes for websites when using Indesign instead of Photoshop.

Could you please add this feature – the file size out of Indesign is too large.

Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Keyboard shortcut for inserting Unicode glyphs

Accessibility and other forms of automated publishing require the correct Unicode glyphs.

These glyphs include punctuation, math/science symbols, foreign language characters, and bullets/symbols. In 2000, Unicode became the default character set worldwide across the technology industries.

But we have no way to easily insert these glyphs into InDesign layouts. For example, if I need the math multiplication symbol rather than a lower case "x", I need to either scroll through the glyph dialogue box, or know beforehand the symbol's codepoint 2715 and type it into the Unicode field in the glyph dialogue box.

Too slow! Especially when you have to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add to TOC checkbox for Paragraph Style Options window

While working on a project with lots of styles it will be hard to decide all the styles on TOC window. It will be useful to select TOC styles on Paragraph Style Options window.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. CC Libraries Export should remember last-used folder

When exporting CC Libraries from InDesign on macOS, the Desktop is always chosen as the last export location, even if you have already exported to another folder in that session.

ID should remember the last-Library-exporter folder and autofill it into the "Location:" section.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. ui 4k

please please please add a UI scaling option for mac users who work on 4k screens. our eyes will thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Improvement suggestions ‘paragraph’ menu

Baseline grid value ‘increment every’ field in paragraph menu.
    - Now you have to go to preferences first. It is a significant option for layout.

Reset option for 'left indent' and 'first line left indent'. Reset to 0/0
    - annoying that I first have to adjust the bottom input field and then the upper one.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please don't kill the Control panel.

The Control panel is more useful, less obtrusive, and more space-conscious than the Properties panel on small displays like laptops.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Separate the 'Merge Consecutive Borders and Shading' option into two

Currently in InDesign CC2019, if you have paragraph styles with the same 'Paragraph Border' and 'Paragraph Shading' settings, these will merge with consecutive paragraphs if the appropriately-named 'Merge Consecutive Borders and Shading with same Settings' options is set.

But what if you want to have consecutive paragraphs with the same border, but different shading, or vice versa? No options allow this.

I suggest that the 'Merge Consecutive Borders and Shading with same Settings' option is split into two; 'Merge Consecutive Borders with same Settings' under 'Paragraph Border', and 'Merge Consecutive Shading with same Settings' under 'Paragraph Shading'.

Having the two…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Conditional Text Automation

Make Conditional Text more automated by either linking it with Character Styles, or utilizing the GREP Feature to globally tag text,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a Search / Filter field to the Links tab

Finda out wether a certain file is used, is manual labour in InDesign.
    What, if the Links Tab had a search/filter field (like in After Effects' timeline and project panels).

Find by name, filter by kind.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Shared files in Dropbox should alert other file users if the file is open

My team is trying to collaborate cross-country on a set of InDesign files using Dropbox.

This is difficult because the InDesign files don't notify users when someone is in the same file when it's stored in Dropbox. This makes our team more likely to have divergent copies, and it makes it harder for us to collaborate.

Word files in Dropbox do let you know when someone else is in the file. It would be a major improvement if the InDesign files would also alert users when someone else is in the file when its stored in Dropbox.

Alternatively, if Adobe…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Save workspaces

I just got a new machine and have no access to my previous saved workspaces. Seems like a pretty basic feature to have, and a timesaving one.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base