Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Properties Panel - make it customisable

I'd like to be able to add things that I use often to it.

For example, with nothing selected, it has the options for the Document Layout.
    I would like to add to that to include

Export PDF - and select my proof settings

So in essence - I could add the options to export to
    Print Ready PDF
    Proof PDF
    Image file format

etc. - just to be able to add those things would make this panel even better.

There are other things I'd like to add to this property panel - but that's the general idea, and everyone…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN keyboard keys maintain consistent position of page in the viewport

If I click the little Previous/Next Page buttons at bottom left of screen, I can cycle through pages, and the position of the page within the window stays the same throughout the process. This is great and very helpful when flipping through a book quickly.

But if hit PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN on the keyboard, it seems to SCROLL the document position up/down by some numerical value, with no regard to the position of the page being displayed.

It would be logical and helpful if PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN had exactly the same effect as the PREVIOUS/NEXT page…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Live link Microsoft word documents when placed in InDesign

When working with lots of teams and writers in our organisation. the constant issue we run into is only a select group of people have InDesign and the experience to operate the files. If there was a way when placing word documents were linked into InDesign, this would allow for a much more fluid workflow when there are a lot of edits.

I am sure there are many limitations to this, but finding some sort of solution could make a big difference to creating quality documents that will allow non indesign users access. InCopy is not a viable option in…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. BETTER TABLE CONTROL FEATURES!!!!

this!!! Complete overhaul to tables in InDesign !!!!! https://forums.adobe.com/message/10898726

IT IS SO ON THE MONEY and I am sure there are other great suggestions here, but seriously indesign tables are pathetic

right now I am especially vexed by this fact that Joe Jacob writes:
    "Why is it that the total width/height of a table cannot be constrained to the size of the bounding box it's in? Why, when the table exceeds these limits, does a column or row just disappear? "

"Why am I left just eyeballing it to make sure my table is neat and evenly spaced out? Why…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. More error information when exporting to PDF

Problem Description: There are some times when exporting to a PDF, the dialogue box will show there is an error which results in no PDF being created. That is all the information we get and therefore have to guess what the problem is. Some more information would be useful.

When exporting an interactive PDF, I noticed that you get far more information when the PDF is being created.

If we had this information added to the Background Tasks when exporting a normal PDF, it would give us a clue what page is causing the problem.

I've attached a screenshot to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Forced line breaks within text variables introduces an unavoidable letter space

When a forced line break is inserted within text that is used for a variable, a random, unavoidable letter space is introduced into the variable text.
    There are obvious workarounds, but a solution to this would be really convenient.
    See attached screenshots for example.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Notification after background task completes

Sometimes background tasks can take a fair bit of time and we may switch to other things, take a phone call, go to lunch, meeting....If the Alerts panel was more about notifications, we would be able to know a bit more of what has happened with the task - if it completed, how long it took or even provide a link to view or email the exported PDF.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bigger preview in Import pdf panel

It is hard to see the PDF preview in the Import PDF panel.
    It would be great if you could choose the size of the thumbnail or adjust the size of the entire panel.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "Force quit" a background task

In all the years that we've had background tasks, I've almost never been able to cancel one successfully. Whenever a task hangs up for unknown reasons, and I hit cancel, it just hangs on the 'cancelling' step and the only way to stop it is to force-quit InDesign, which can equal lost work and damaged files.

I would like to see a more assertive way to force shut down of a background task that isn't cooperating.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Extended PDF export features

To add a custom preset feature where you could export a duplicate PDF with crop marks as well as a clean PDF all in one saving action. There is a lot of times in my line of work where we need both options (one for print and one for archiving) purposes. As of right now I have to export 2 files separately. Having a preset where I could just check the box when exporting would greatly save time and effort each time we go to export.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow Optical Margin Alignment to apply only to punctuation.

Optical Margin Alignment does a great job allowing quotation marks and hyphens to hang into the column gutters, but it also make characters like A, W, and T do the same, which is often too high a price to pay. Fix this by allowing an option it to only apply it to punctuation.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. fit frame to bleed

I would like to see a script that recognizes frames outside of the bleed coordinates, and snaps the frames to those coordinates. It just tidies up the pasteboard and helps with the center content in frame action. Thank you!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Advanced Paragraph Shading Options

1. The ability to specify a specific measured width for paragraph shading in pica, inches or whatever is the standard unit for the document.
    2. The ability to extend shading through continuous paragraphs. (i.e. If two consecutive paragraphs have the same paragraph style (with shading) that there is no gap between the paragraphs. Currently you have to use offset to extend these.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Cpu usage

When i work with a long document, every change i make take a very long time, because InDesign use only one!!! core, when i have 8! Can you improve it?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Select objects with similar stroke and/or fill color

Please add feature to select objects with similar stroke and/or fill color.

This has already been in Illustrator for quite awhile (to my knowledge). This would be good feature to have in InDesign also.

Thanks!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Export PDF comments

InDesign 2019 -- PDF comment import works fine, however what is the point if I cant then export back to PDF for further review and INCLUDE those comments?

Seems like the import PDF comments without including them in the export to PDF is an incomplete feature.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow users to pin their own favourites to the opening page.

Allow users to pin favourites to the opening page, so they can easily access a palette of their most used documents when they open the program.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Absolute page numbers as a text variable

I propose adding "Absolute Page Number" as a text variable. Similar to Last Page Number, "Absolute Page Number" would allow the document creator to place the absolute page number of the layout onto a page while also using another page numbering system (sections, roman numerals, etc.).

With long documents now both being used in whole or separated into parts by clients, this would allow InDesign users to fulfill the issue of having a page carry two numbering schemes at the same time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Duplicate page along with new swatches

Would love it if i was able to duplicate a page along with its swatches and the new page would now be linked to the new color swatches. This way i could change all the colors on the page and it would only apply to that page.

Alternatively, perhaps i would be able to create new swatches from a page, and the page would now automatically be linked to the new swatches so i could globally change a color but only for that particular page (because it created and linked new swatches for the page).

I would love this please.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base