1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to split table rows across pages

Lord please, if you're up there, answer our INDD prayers and make this a feature. A LOT of tables have rows with more content than can be held in a single page or bottom of a page. It's impossible to layout a continuous book or brochure if I can't get the table text to split - it doesn't have to be the default, but give me the option - please, please. WORD does this, be better than Word!!

374 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

71 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Duplicating pages in InDesign - but not at the end of a document

When duplicating pages in Indesign they always appear at the end of the document. We should be able to select where in the document we want the pages to be added, as we do when inserting new pages.
    So, 'Duplicate Pages''; "Insert Before/After page XX" etc

79 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Placed pdfs lose accessibility and all the tags have to be re-created

When I import or place my pdfs and then export my indesign file all the tags disappear in the exported pdf. This is really annoying as all the tags have to be created again.
    Get my tags back , all the accessibility tags which the pdf had before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add "Grid Calculator PRO" by default in Adobe Indesign CC 2020 or improve the setup of grid / baseline grid

The plugin "Grid Calculator PRO" (https://www.designersbookshop.com/grid-calculator-pro-edition.html) is perfect.

With this plugin you can configure the grid and/or the baseline grid precisely much more that with default setup of Adobe Indesign CC 2020.

It would be interesting to integrate this plugin directly in Adobe Indesign CC 2020 or modify the currently setup of the configuration of grid / baseline grid feature adding more options for this elements.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Quicklook

I would love InDesign to natively support Quicklook on the Mac - the way of previewing documents by hitting the spacebar. There are third party plugins, but they have broken with the release of Catalina/InDesign 2020, and it would be great if ID could natively support this.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Video quality in PDFs should be better

Videos shouldn't be integrated as Flash in 2020. There are better standards from HTML5.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. In Mojikumi Table, paragraph indent size to be fixed without depending on the first character

InDesign Japanese Edition 15.0 or earlier
    At present, the indent size depends on the attribute of the first character, so when the character with a different size or scale comes first, the indent amount changes.
    Instead, I want the indent to be fixed based on the text size in the paragraph style or frame grid settings.
    The attached image is the current specification.

P.S. If the first character of a paragraph has a decoration such as an underline, the decoration will also accompany the indentation. I think this is a bug.(additional.jpg)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. A facility to tell what settings are 'inherited' from another style

I think it would be beneficial to be able to quickly identify which properties in a cell style etc. inherit from a parent style.

If you look at my child.png , it is "Based On" parent.png. However, you can't see in the child what settings have been "learned" from the parent. It would be nice if the inherited characteristics appear with a light grey background or a little star or something suitable to distinguish them from the edits that are child-specific.

In my case, how this situation caused minor confusion is that I had "no idea" why the background fill…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option to select default editor for scripts.

After update to MacOs Catalina the command to "Edit Script" from the flyout menu does nothing when in an Indesign version prior to CC 2020. This is because ExtendScript Toolkit no longer runs as it is a 32 bit application.

In Indesign 2020 the command opens Visual Studio Code.

However, I prefer using another application for editing scripts.

So my feature request is simply:
    We need options to select which application Indesign opens for editing scripts.
    Maybe even one for applescripts, one for javascripts and one for vb scripts.

Or at least rely on the system’s default application for the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Colouring and user-order of font menu

User customized font menu. Colours and the ability to order the fonts exactly how you want. . This makes it so easy to slide to the part of the menu to grab a font you know. This was done in the 1990's by Now Utilities on OS7, 8 and 9. Bring it on!!! It was SO fast to find your fonts. I had blue for Serif, red for San Serif, green for Script and so on. Colour coding is great for many features.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Global Text Edit Across Multiple File Instances

A way to update one Master File, that populates multiple files.

One product > multiple instances

By changing text on "1" it would update the same text in the same spot for the different instances "1a,1b,1c"

1 > 1a > 1b > 1c

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Variable font issues with named instances 'Regular' and 'Book'

A variable font including instances named 'Book' and 'Regular' breaks the functionality of the instance 'Regular'. Slider change does not change the weight of the font. The same font works well in Adobe Illustrator.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Screen mode button is gone from tool bar and there's no option to put it back where it should be

Put the screen mode button back in the tool bar. At the very least, make screen mode something that can be added back into the toolbar. Removing it was a horrible error on the part of whomever created this update.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Feature to export / import workspace settings

As a freelancer working in and out of different studios, having to set up workspaces each time could be made easier by being able to import a workspace setting (like you can with swatches).

This feature would be useful across all CS programs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Use the Articles tab to designate the reading order in a PDF

When creating an accessible PDF, InDesign should use the Articles Tab rather than the Layers Panel to structure the Reading Order. It reads properly but once you check the accessibility, the "Reading Order" panel shows a MESS. It's based on the Layers Panel which is madness to try and re-structure when creating a large form with hundreds of form fields. The Articles Panel is needed to set the tab order anyway. This would make the most sense to me.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Improve Title Case

When sentence case is added to the paragraph styles panel, please add a place where we can list a set of words to be omitted if they appear after the first word. For example: and, the, a, an.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. A search and replace that is a series of search and replaces

Often users need to run a series of search and replaces on a document. Why not create an S&R that runs a series of S&Rs in a user-defined order. It'd be great for cleaning up text. Also, allow users to decide if each S&R is run as "replace all" or with the user deciding each replace.

In addition, allow S&Rs to be run automatically when text documents (typically from Word) are placed. Choosing that would be one option in the Place window.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Import XLSX spreadsheet to an InDesign table: the "-1" problem still

When linking xlsx files to InDesign I receive a "-1" when the linked cell in Excel contains a formula that returns text from a cell in a different worksheet in the same workbook. InDesign ver 15.0.1 Win 10 workstation

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. File-size Preview

Seeing the estimated file-size preview prior to export taking place would be a huge benefit, when trying to hit a certain file size limit.

At least begin by allowing for file-size preview for files up to, say, 50mb? Then as time goes on, improve this feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Stroke Management in Table

Please put some buttons to select inner strokes / outer strokes of tables rather than right click on the miniature table graphic on strokes panel.

It will be very useful if you put one click option for Select All strokes, Select Border, Select Inner etc. Right click on that miniature cell sometimes very difficult. And make it the default selection for atleast one document

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base