Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. XML Workflow – InDesign need to improve much

We're facing huge difficulties in InDesign while handling the XML structure in InDesign, but it's good in FrameMaker. After importing the XML files in InDesign, no control is available in InDesign to validate the XML coding structure, also allowing the users to easily tamper the XML coding. Due to this limitation, XML extracting from InDesign are not actually correct and users need to fine-tune the same and spending huge time to correct. So current XML features to be improved much.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Restore the page overlay display in the print dialog.

I previous version of InDesign and the initial releases of InDesign 2017, you could see quite clearly what would print on the selected sheet size. In the latest update as of Aug 2017, if I change a sheet from letter to legal that has been printed previously, letter is still selected in the dialog, but due to the preview sheet being legal and cannot see that there is a size mismatch without going through the individual dialogs. For reference, the portion of the document that would not be within the printable region showed as a different shade of grey, whereas…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. When printing a postscript file - i.e. file - print - postscript file - filename becomes last saved - it should allow for preserve filename

When printing a postscript file - i.e. file - print - postscript file - filename becomes last saved - it should allow for preserve filename or automatically use the document name

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Presset layers for every new document ad indesign

add indesign i use every day and every document the the same layers like for backround, images,cutting knife and many more bud i need to add every new document the layers over en over .

i would like to have a option to like presset the layers for the new document.
    so i don't have to add them every time

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bring back IMPO

the basic Imposition indesign had many years ago was helpful. Especially variable data files

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add items during packaging

I hope you can also include additional files during packaging. When we package files, we usually include 3 PDF files (Print Quality for Readers, with Bleed for the Printer, and Low Quality for uploading online. In addition to the PDF files, we add another file which is the cover of the publication in JPEG format. Hope this will be added in the future. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Revert back so files can be moved or renamed while the file is open

If you have a file open and make changes, then move the icon to another folder, or change the document name. This corrupts the file until the icon has been put back in the original place or renamed back to the original title. This causes lots of problems if you have multiple indesign files open and you are moving them around the computer as you work on different projects throughout the day. It is very easy to loose all of your work if you can’t remember the exact location of the original file or the exact name of the document…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Diagnostic tool for Pre-flighting files/fonts

Diagnostic tool for Pre-flighting files/fonts

Indesign says it can't copy necessary files? But what files are those? why is there a problem? The information provided is weak, and needs to be stronger and support a better workflow. I think designs want better informational tools and pre-flighting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. A way to chose where you would like to save your links, INDD file, etc when "packaging" a file.

When working on projects with multiple large books, we would appreciate a way to "package" a file, yet save all of the links for each book in a Master Links Library folder, fonts in a Master Fonts Library folder, and PDFs in a designated folder.

Additionally, it would be awesome if there was a way to preflight a file and ensure that all links are linking to a specific master links folder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. ERRO "Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed

Após a atualização do Indesign (CC2019), quando tento imprimir livreto, aparece a mensagem "Erro de impressão: O Adobe Print Engine falhou ao imprimir seus dados, devido a um problema desconhecido" (Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem).

Tentei a página de ajuda https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/error-print-engine-failed-print.html, porém, nenhuma das opções foi útil.

Desinstalei o aplicativo, apaguei os dados de preferências, instalei novamente, e mesmo assim não resolveu.

Mesmo os trabalhos em que, antes da atualização, era possível imprimir o livreto, agora não é mais possível.

Se houver alguma outra coisa que eu…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Show which layer is printing in the slug area.

We often have to print specific layers to be sure our art is on the correct layer for printing. It would be especially helpful to us to see which layer is printed along with the page information.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. More than just the single Links folder when packaging.

It would be nice to be able to preserve my file structure when packaging a book. Just separate folders for images, docs, table, etc. There are a lot of files in a 500-600 page technical manual with 50-60 documents/chapters, and it's a pain to sort through when everything gets dropped into a single Links folder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Network package issue

I get a error message when I try to export a PDF or make other package from a file that I packaged from company network server. Is like I can't access the links files anymore. And I even can't delete them!

I'm using the Indesign 13.1 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. More options for packaged files.

Here is an idea that I would think is relatively easy to implement, but would be a great relief to many of us.

So, I packe and indesign file and it creates a copy, an idml-file, a pdf and "sucks in" all links and fonts to a neat folder. Indesign operates under the assumption that this is the very last thing you do, but often I do this midway to secure everything, or to move to another computer etc etc. Or i retuurn to a finnished project a year later as the client wants some updates.

I would love the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. HKS Z 21 Field is missing

Could you please add this colourfield or something simular?

Because there seems like no alternative for this special colour.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Change the font size of the page information when printing out a page. This is too small at 6 pt.

We do thousands of imprints that have all the job number, customer PO and imprint info on the file name. We are converting from qk to indesign. Quark 's title page information uses much larger font and is at the top of the page when printed out which is much more convenient.

We want to be able to identify the document quickly!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Push Out Compensation for Perfect Binding on PDF Export

Being able to take a facing page document and adding an amount of cross over bleed from the spine and scaling that amount from the spine to the outer trim would be invaluable to my workflow for large perfect binding books. As it is now stands, I have to separate each spread to single pages and create bleeds towards the spine and move/scale each page to allow for artwork alignment in the final printing and binding.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Need to include Blacklining option

Some of our clients requires Blacklining feature in InDesign to track the corrections between previous versions of InDesign, currently we're managing this requirement with third-part plugin, called Blacklining.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Vertical Justification in InDesign CC

We'd like to include smart Vertical Justification (VJ) feature in InDesign without disturbing the leading spaces. VJ feature to be enhanced with many customized rules such as adjust the style above spaces, avoiding space adjustments between the particular styles, creating lines to adjust the base alignments at the end of each page and the facing pages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. how bout a built in blacklining feature that supports selective versioning (is there such a word) or cumulative viewing of text changes. Not

how bout a built in blacklining feature that supports selective versioning (is there such a word) or cumulative viewing of text changes. Not to incopy please

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base