Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Batch "enable profiles for all linked images" option

There should be an easy way to batch "enable all ICC profiles" for linked images in an opened document.
    Today, the only way to do this is by changing each image individually. Alternatively, you can force an ICC profile mismatch before opening the file, and then enable all profiles while assingning the correct ICC, which it can lead to errors.

For those whose workflow is based on PDF/X-4, it is crutial to activate the ICC profiles for all the linked images in every InDesign document.
    And since the default behavior for InDesign is to ignore the ICC profile while placing…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ID - Preflight Navigation

Hey there,

i wish i could navigate in my preflight window with arrow keys.

It's important to check all the "mistakes" fast.

Kind regards and big thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. How about making pantone to cmyk again like pre cs6? Adobe's lab conversion has cost us a bundle...Quark's conversion however , still works

Adobe's pantone to cmyk conversion of 2738 C-100 M-89.86 Y-9.09 K-2.43
    Quarkexpress's pantone 2738 conversion to cmyk c-99.2 m-87.8 y-0 k-8.6
    Panton's website Pantone 2738 conversion to cmyk c-100 m-92 y-0 k-1

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Load automatically the maximun ink (TAC) from the CMYK working space profile in the separations preview palette

Load automatically the maximun ink (TAC) from the CMYK working space profile in the separations preview palette.

It would be a nice feature if InDesign could load automatically the maximun ink (TAC) from the CMYK working space profile in the separations preview palette. Sometimes it is quite difficult to find that value inside the profile and if you are working with different requirements, as some prepress workshops do, having that preloaded would avooid many troubles.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Print Preview rather than a P... or is that a d?

I'm amazed at how complicated it is to be able to print something as simple as front cover and back cover as a spread.

in fact, i have yet to figure that out at all.

Is there a reason why i can't print select pages from a catalog, and see where they will land on a page?

I feel like I'm working in Quark back in 2001. Have we made no progress in in the print dialog box since then?

I'd like to be able to SEE the pages (from selected range) their orientation on select paper stock, and how…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Packaging links without duplicating them

When packaging a job it would be great if InDesign could move rather than duplicate links to a collected folder.

Currently after packaging a job for print and archiving I then go and delete the original files as I only need the one set. However it takes a while to sort through what I need to keep i.e. alternative images and layered images which I may need for future jobs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a way in a book file to change the conditional text "Set" of all documents within the book at a global level.

Please add a way in a book file to change the conditional text "Set" of all documents within the book at a global level.

This way I can print "Product A" without having to open every document within the book and changing the "Set" to product A. Like wise for "Product B," etc.

An alternative would be to add it o the publish/print/export presets.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. XML Workflow – InDesign need to improve much

We're facing huge difficulties in InDesign while handling the XML structure in InDesign, but it's good in FrameMaker. After importing the XML files in InDesign, no control is available in InDesign to validate the XML coding structure, also allowing the users to easily tamper the XML coding. Due to this limitation, XML extracting from InDesign are not actually correct and users need to fine-tune the same and spending huge time to correct. So current XML features to be improved much.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. CJK typesetting in InDesign CC

We're often receiving the inputs with Chinesh, Japanese and Korean languages, so we're reinstalling the CC with new language to handle these inputs. So it'll be good to have direct feature in InDesign to handle CJK inputs without re-installation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Auto speads into pages

Sometime we have to design in spreads then output for print in pages. This means with a spread you have to add bleed to the right of a left hand page and add bleed to the left of right pages when manually breaking the pages apart.

It would save time if Indesign 1- split all speads into pages and 2 -
    extended any image/ coloured boxes to the left/ right by the amount specified in the bleed preferences.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Mixed orientation printing within the same document

Please consider implementing mixed orientation (auto orientation) with printing so it saves people time from having to export to PDF first then print as it is only possible through Acrobat at the moment.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow a "consolidate" type of packaging that doesn't create new copies

The ability to take the current working document and consolidate copies of links and document fonts around the existing document, rather than create an additional copy of the INDD working file. Using the Package feature for files in progress that are simply being moved between workstations is problematic because you have to remember to delete the "old" version that was just packaged. I would like a way to make 100% sure that everything I need for the existing file is organized within one master folder, without having to embed all the links or manually delete duplicate INDD files.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Export to Illustrator with Layer Preservation

We do a lot of packaging design for a large catalog of products and use InDesign for most of that design (due to some specific needs for variants, etc.). We often need to provide the files as .AI format to our manufacturing vendors. It's easy enough to export to PDF, which preserves the spot colors and Acrobat Layers, but when we save from PDF to .AI, the layers vanish. InDesign needs a way to save/export native files in a format that can be opened in Illustrator that preserves all InDesign layers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Batch "enable profiles for all linked images" option

There should be an easy way to batch "enable all ICC profiles" for linked images in an opened document.
    Today, the only way to do this is by changing each image individually. Alternatively, you can force an ICC profile mismatch before opening the file, and then enable all profiles while assingning the correct ICC, which it can lead to errors.

For those whose workflow is based on PDF/X-4, it is crutial to activate the ICC profiles for all the linked images in every InDesign document.
    And since the default behavior for InDesign is to ignore the ICC profile while placing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make the Package feature open by default in the same folder where the indd file is located

Make the Package feature open by default in the same folder where the indd file is located. That is, when it's asking me which folder to place the package folder into. Currently it opens in the last folder Package feature was used to make a package.

E.g.
    1. I have indd in C:\1\1.indd
    2. I use the Package function to make a package like C:\1\1 Folder
    3. I have another indd in C:\2\2.indd
    4. If I use the Package function now, when it first asks me which folder to put the package into, it shows me C:\1\, and I have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Break the table straddle rules (borders)

Often we're receiving the feedback from our internal clients that table rule to be splitted whenever the tables are having multiple heads (attached the screen shot). Currently we unable to achieve this, need to fix in InDesign to fix this feedback.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Print Preview Dialogue Box

The small print preview in the print dialogue box was recently changed to a light grey, making it harder at first glance to discern page from background. Can you please allow changing it back to dark grey be a preferences option

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Need to include Blacklining option

Some of our clients requires Blacklining feature in InDesign to track the corrections between previous versions of InDesign, currently we're managing this requirement with third-part plugin, called Blacklining.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Vertical Justification in InDesign CC

We'd like to include smart Vertical Justification (VJ) feature in InDesign without disturbing the leading spaces. VJ feature to be enhanced with many customized rules such as adjust the style above spaces, avoiding space adjustments between the particular styles, creating lines to adjust the base alignments at the end of each page and the facing pages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Restore the page overlay display in the print dialog.

I previous version of InDesign and the initial releases of InDesign 2017, you could see quite clearly what would print on the selected sheet size. In the latest update as of Aug 2017, if I change a sheet from letter to legal that has been printed previously, letter is still selected in the dialog, but due to the preview sheet being legal and cannot see that there is a size mismatch without going through the individual dialogs. For reference, the portion of the document that would not be within the printable region showed as a different shade of grey, whereas…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base