Adobe InDesign: Bugs
When filing a new bug, please provide:
- Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
- Steps to reproduce the issues
- Expected result
- Actual result
- Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
- or
No existing idea results
- ~ No ideas found ~
7742 results found
-
Palettes not docking in the sidebar
I seem to be having more trouble 'docking' palettes, or dragging them into a group on the sidebar on the right. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this resistance?
When I drag a floating palette onto a closed group, it highlights blue, but I think it used to disappear and you could decide where in the group you wanted to put it, or even into another group or by itself. Currently, there is a light highlight on the group, but when released, it remains floating. When dragged to an open area, the floating palette dims, and will dock by itself.
2 votes -
no spellcheck
there is no spellcheck which really bothers me, I had to manually type in the right spelling, wasting my time because English is not my first language i forget how to spell some words, it takes hours for me to type something without spellcheck. Please add this function to InDesign it really is necessary
2 votes -
Grep function for deleting trailing whitespace deletes a paragraph mark before a table
A paragraph mark before a table should not be considered trailing whitespace. Not sure what else to say. Maybe it's an easy fix?
2 votesThis issue is under review.
--
Adobe InDesign team
-
Font and color selection is not working
Hello.
I am using Indesign 2025 which was automatically updated on my computer on M1 Max MBP with Sequoia 15.1.1.When i try to change a swatch color on an object or a paragraph style on text, indesign will not allow me to make my selection. It will register the selection for a brief moment, and then the icon will deselect the option and my request was not taken into account. This bug is very frustrating as it is not allowing me to make any changes needed.
This is a relatively new bug that was not there in indesign 2024 when i did this last a few weeks/months ago.Hello.
I am using Indesign 2025 which was automatically updated on my computer on M1 Max MBP with Sequoia 15.1.1.When i try to change a swatch color on an object or a paragraph style on text, indesign will not allow me to make my selection. It will register the selection for a brief moment, and then the icon will deselect the option and my request was not taken into account. This bug is very frustrating as it is not allowing me to make any changes needed.
This is a relatively new bug that was not there in indesign 2024…2 votes -
Paragraph style not applying when selecting the wanted style
Indesign version 20.0.1
When highlighting the desired text that I wish to apply the paragraph style to and clicking on the preferred paragraph style. The click animation attempts to very briefly 'grab' the style rather than select it. This works on any paragraph style I try.
I have a similar issue when selecting a colour swatch to apply, the only option is to grab and drag the desired swatch to where it is needed.
I also cannot change the font when selecting the text I wish to change and selecting a font from the drop down.
This is only a recent issue for me that I have experienced over the past week or so.
I have tried using older versions of Indesing such as 19.5 & 19.4. And am still having the same issues.
Indesign version 20.0.1
When highlighting the desired text that I wish to apply the paragraph style to and clicking on the preferred paragraph style. The click animation attempts to very briefly 'grab' the style rather than select it. This works on any paragraph style I try.
I have a similar issue when selecting a colour swatch to apply, the only option is to grab and drag the desired swatch to where it is needed.
I also cannot change the font when selecting the text I wish to change and selecting a font from the drop down.
This is only a…
2 votes -
Bug - Overprint not working correctly
I have noticed colours not displaying correctly when overprinting. It is happening on images, blocks of colour, everything.
It seems that Cyan won't overprint Cyan. Magenta won't overprint Magenta. Yellow won't overprint yellow.
I've tried all the colour profiles but that doesn't help. I have created a pdf from InDesign to illustrate the issue. The stars point to the incorrect overprints.
I believe it is also happening in Illustrator.
I updated my apps hoping that might help but I have the same problem on the latest versions.
I've working in printing for a long time and this seems like it might be a bug.
Using Indesign version 20.1.0.
I have noticed colours not displaying correctly when overprinting. It is happening on images, blocks of colour, everything.
It seems that Cyan won't overprint Cyan. Magenta won't overprint Magenta. Yellow won't overprint yellow.
I've tried all the colour profiles but that doesn't help. I have created a pdf from InDesign to illustrate the issue. The stars point to the incorrect overprints.
I believe it is also happening in Illustrator.
I updated my apps hoping that might help but I have the same problem on the latest versions.
I've working in printing for a long time and this seems like it…
2 votes -
Links Not Auto Updating when Modified in InDesign 2025
My workflow typically involves opening links from the InDesign document to edit by selecting the link from the Links panel and choosing Edit Original. In InDesign 2025, however, I've noticed that links are no longer updating whether it's a PSD or AI file and I assume other file types. This has never been the case before.
I tried a test with a new file and placed two assets to the file. One was a PSD and the other was an AI. I then opened the links from InDesign, made an edit to each (one at a time), saved, closed, and went back to InDesign. Both links show up as modified with a warning in the preflight instead of updated.
I thought the point of modifying links through InDesign was to avoid having to manually update all the links. I guess I'll just modify outside of InDesign and make the selection to update all on file open until this is fixed...
My OS is Windows 10.
My workflow typically involves opening links from the InDesign document to edit by selecting the link from the Links panel and choosing Edit Original. In InDesign 2025, however, I've noticed that links are no longer updating whether it's a PSD or AI file and I assume other file types. This has never been the case before.
I tried a test with a new file and placed two assets to the file. One was a PSD and the other was an AI. I then opened the links from InDesign, made an edit to each (one at a time), saved, closed, and…
2 votes -
Cannot apply Paragraph/Character Styles
Indesign 19.5 and 20.0.1
Steps to resolve:
Reinstalling latest Indesign (20.0.1), restarting my iMac, reverted to a previous version of ID (19.5), copied the file to my desktop to open from there, started a fresh document and tried to create new Styles (doesn't let me), opened another document which has styles that worked (they also don't work any more), deleted preferences, and finally I have updated my iMac and that hasn't fixed it either.Expected result:
Font Styles panel should work as it should be (and as it did 3 days ago) in that you click on a Style and it applies it instantly. I should not have to Right Click/Apply Style.Actual Result:
Cannot select or apply styles from the Style panel. Clicking on the style in the panel makes the selected item flicker, but nothing gets selected or applied and it stays the same default font. I can only change the style if I right click on the Style and 'Apply Style' which is clunky OR if it go to Type/Font/etc from the top menu, but that doesn't help with the Styles Menu. Sometimes trying to change the font from the dropdown panel produces no results and it's very laggy to change.The whole fonts system seems to be broken across both my iMac and laptop
Indesign 19.5 and 20.0.1
Steps to resolve:
Reinstalling latest Indesign (20.0.1), restarting my iMac, reverted to a previous version of ID (19.5), copied the file to my desktop to open from there, started a fresh document and tried to create new Styles (doesn't let me), opened another document which has styles that worked (they also don't work any more), deleted preferences, and finally I have updated my iMac and that hasn't fixed it either.Expected result:
Font Styles panel should work as it should be (and as it did 3 days ago) in that you click on a Style and…2 votes -
Mouse click doesn't register properly
On MacOS IdDesign 20.0.1 and 19.5.1 improperly register mouse clicks.
As this misbehaviour started recently I suspect that some Apple patch broken something.
But I do not experience any issues in other applications! Everything seems to work normally but InDesign.If you click a frame, InD registers a click-and-hold while I just clicked it with trackpad and lifted the finder up (see video).
Second, if I put editing mark into the text and go to Paragraph style to apply it, the palette doesn’t register the click properly—it seems it registers a drag, not a click! I can only try to click multiple times in a row, very quickly, and then there’s a chance the click will be registered (as on the second video).
Clicks with Wacom tablet seem to register properly in first case, while paragraph / text style are broken in both cases.
I encountered that issue using macOS Sonoma, so I decided to upgrade to MacOS Sequoia, but with no effect. I’m working on MacBookPro18,3 with Apple M1 Pro.
Work is almost impossible now…
On MacOS IdDesign 20.0.1 and 19.5.1 improperly register mouse clicks.
As this misbehaviour started recently I suspect that some Apple patch broken something.
But I do not experience any issues in other applications! Everything seems to work normally but InDesign.If you click a frame, InD registers a click-and-hold while I just clicked it with trackpad and lifted the finder up (see video).
Second, if I put editing mark into the text and go to Paragraph style to apply it, the palette doesn’t register the click properly—it seems it registers a drag, not a click! I can only try to…
2 votes -
set default save location to original file folder
Please make a setting in preferences with two options for default file save locations:
a) Always save to last used folder (the folder you used in the last save to session)
b) Always save to doc uments original folder (the folder where each individual document currently is saved and opened from)Currently InDesign uses option a) which in my case is a total desaster since everytime I am in a hurry saving or exporting something the file lands in some other project folder where i can search / delete or move it afterwards which results in a bad workflow.
2 votes -
anchored width and height gets loose
The anchor between the element width and height in the top menu switches to un-anchored directly after unselecting an element or at selecting another element.
Indesign version 20.0.1
Mac OS 14.72 votes -
indesign reverting unit selection
Each time I set up a new document in InDesign (and only in indesign this happens), it defaults to Pica measurement (my preference is set to mm) and when I change it and begin to fill out the measurements, it reverts back to pica 2-3 times before it'll stay on mm.
I've tried:
-re installing
-changing/checking preferences
-resettting preferencesUnsure if a bug or something I've missed.
2 votes -
Publish Online Dashboard is Down
I can't access any of the documents I've published online as an ePub. indd.adobe.com isn't working; the error code says it can't be accessed with HTTP error 503. Please can someone address this?
2 votes -
In Arabic OpenType-SVG fonts, glyphs shift seemingly randomly in all directions
In Arabic fonts with SVG table, glyphs move up, down, left, and right seemingly randomly, and typing more text or adding vowel marks change how the glyphs are shifted.
If the fonts are processed to remove the SVG table, they work fine (but color glyphs are not colored, obviously).
Illustrator and Photoshop do not have this issue, and the font with SVG table works normally.
I tested this with https://github.com/aliftype/raqq/blob/main/fonts/Raqq.ttf as well as https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Reem+Kufi+Ink.
Text used in the screenshot:
خط كوفي ا أ إ ب ت ث ج ح خ
خَطٌ كُوفِي أ إ بَ
This is InDesign 20.0, but the issue was present also in the previous versions.
In Arabic fonts with SVG table, glyphs move up, down, left, and right seemingly randomly, and typing more text or adding vowel marks change how the glyphs are shifted.
If the fonts are processed to remove the SVG table, they work fine (but color glyphs are not colored, obviously).
Illustrator and Photoshop do not have this issue, and the font with SVG table works normally.
I tested this with https://github.com/aliftype/raqq/blob/main/fonts/Raqq.ttf as well as https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Reem+Kufi+Ink.
Text used in the screenshot:
خط كوفي ا أ إ ب ت ث ج ح خ
خَطٌ كُوفِي أ إ بَ
This is InDesign 20.0,…
2 votes -
embeded Illustrator documents in InDesign looses page information, after being used in library
We have following situation:
InDesign library with an embeded Illustrator document. this document has pages (used for different icons). I have placed page 3 of the Illustrator file in as InDesign document. I place the element in an library in InDesign.
I place the same object from the library in the document. The Element looses the pageinformation. the preview is still correct, but when i export an PDF it collects the information from the illustrator file again and it has an other icon in its place…So it is a massive problem of missmanaging elements and creates Errors in production! Please fix ASAP!
Setup:
MACOS 14.6.1
INDD 19.5
Illustrator 29.0 (created in an earlier version)We have following situation:
InDesign library with an embeded Illustrator document. this document has pages (used for different icons). I have placed page 3 of the Illustrator file in as InDesign document. I place the element in an library in InDesign.
I place the same object from the library in the document. The Element looses the pageinformation. the preview is still correct, but when i export an PDF it collects the information from the illustrator file again and it has an other icon in its place…So it is a massive problem of missmanaging elements and creates Errors in…
2 votes -
the first letter of the heading does not appear in the result.
Adobe Indesign (19.0 : 20.0) 2024-2025 / Mac os Sequoia 15.0.1
When using a Text Variable (Running Header ‹Paragraph Style›) and applying it to fully diacritized Arabic text, the first letter of the heading does not appear in the result. This issue arises when exporting to PDF.
open indesign and Type the fully diacritized Arabic text, Assign paragraph sytle, go to Text variable - Define - New - Running Header «Paragraph Style» - Assign.
The text is expected to display correctly without errors; however, contrary to this, the first letter of the fully diacritized text does not appear. This issue arises when exporting to PDF.
The test files and illustrative screenshots of the issue are attached.Adobe Indesign (19.0 : 20.0) 2024-2025 / Mac os Sequoia 15.0.1
When using a Text Variable (Running Header ‹Paragraph Style›) and applying it to fully diacritized Arabic text, the first letter of the heading does not appear in the result. This issue arises when exporting to PDF.
open indesign and Type the fully diacritized Arabic text, Assign paragraph sytle, go to Text variable - Define - New - Running Header «Paragraph Style» - Assign.
The text is expected to display correctly without errors; however, contrary to this, the first letter of the fully diacritized text does not appear. This issue…2 votes -
The first letter of the Arabic text should appear correctly in the exported PDF, even when it has diacritics
- Version of Adobe InDesign:
All versions of Adobe InDesign 2024 and 2025, from version 19.0 to version 20.0.
2. Steps to Reproduce the Issue:Open Adobe InDesign (versions 19.0 to 20.0).
Create a new document.
Insert Arabic text that includes diacritics (tashkeel) on the first letter.
Apply full justification to the text.
Use variable text features with the Arabic text.
Export the document to PDF for printing.
3. Expected Result:The first letter of the Arabic text should appear correctly in the exported PDF, even when it has diacritics and is fully justified.
4. Actual Result:The first letter disappears in the exported PDF when the text is fully justified and the first letter has diacritics.
The issue does not appear in the InDesign preview; it only occurs after exporting to PDF.- Version of Adobe InDesign:
All versions of Adobe InDesign 2024 and 2025, from version 19.0 to version 20.0.
2. Steps to Reproduce the Issue:Open Adobe InDesign (versions 19.0 to 20.0).
Create a new document.
Insert Arabic text that includes diacritics (tashkeel) on the first letter.
Apply full justification to the text.
Use variable text features with the Arabic text.
Export the document to PDF for printing.
3. Expected Result:The first letter of the Arabic text should appear correctly in the exported PDF, even when it has diacritics and is fully justified.
4. Actual Result:The first letter disappears…
2 votes -
Data merge problem - InDesign does not load CSV file with accented symbols
If in InDesign 19.0 I use the CSV format with the East Europe character set in the data merge, then I can merge data with Czech accents without any problems. However, in Version 19.4 and above, I cannot do this. I have not been able to solve the problem and the data loaded has missing symbols. The only solution I have found so far is to install InDesign version 19.0, where the data merge works correctly.
2 votes -
pdf export
Can not export as PDF, it simply keeps spinning for hours and nothing happens. Very slow performance compared to earlier versions, nearly unusable.
2 votes -
[ID-4256174]InDesign crashes while searching any font/word, etc., which is in overset text.
We have simple scripts that operate on script labels to Find and Replace Text, adjust Text Size, things like that. We've been using them for three years with no problems prior to v2025. They crash and bring up the option to send an error report. We're rolling back to 2024 now, we can't operate efficiently without these scripts.
2 votesThe fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2025(v20.0.1.032). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.
If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application click on the context menu on the top right, and click on Check for App Updates.
—
Adobe InDesign Team
- Don't see your idea?